Jet Boy (2001) Poster

(2001)

Touching film
ashleynallen-430137 September 2017
Let me start by saying: yes, it's got its corny parts. Yes, it's cliché as all get out.

But it's got some amazing acting, and there are four or five moments throughout that just make you feel like your heart shattered into a million pieces.

Nathan is a fourteen year old boy, who sells himself to feed his mother's drug habit -the movie starts on the day of his fourteenth birthday, leading to what is easily one of the most heart wrenching moments I've seen in a movie for a while.

After 'working' the night before, Nathan goes to school, then returns home, where a neighbor lady complains to him about the noise from his mother's party the previous night, for which Nathan apologizes, and the lady kindly tells him that it's him she feels sorry for. After he starts to walk away, there's this moment of hesitation, before he turns, and tells the lady that it's his birthday. It's such an innocent moment, seeing this kid desperately wanting somebody to know that he's made it fourteen years; that he's still alive. And honestly, it almost made me cry.

And that's what makes this movie memorable; that's what makes it such a gem. Instead of big name actors, massive CGI effects, car chases, and one-liners for cheap laughs... it actually evokes strong emotions in you.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Pedophilia meets Prime Time Sit-com
hddu1029 October 2016
To begin with, yes, I understand this is a Canadian film, which by nature has to be "nice" and cute. But there is really nothing funny, cute or nice about pedophilia. The beginning of the film opens up and promises a harsh, in-your-face slice of life for an underage male prostitute (who honestly does a decent job...I seriously felt sorry for this actor for taking this role/being exposed to this subject matter). But then starts to get "cute" with heart-warming "awwwwe..." moments (remember: Canadian) that you would almost expect on any TV sit-com as it wraps up with its obligatory schmaltz. There are in fact a couple of interesting plot-twists, but they are underplayed by the lackluster writing (and acting), made-for TV filmography and EXTREMELY predictable, linear writing. We actually watched the out-takes/cut scenes which reveal an even worse writing imaginable (someone at least had the sense to hire a very good editor). I would say, if you happen to be a fan of "Nip/Tuck" or want a "feel good" movie about pedophilia knowing it will all work out in the end, then sure...watch it. If not, there are much more accurate, hard-hitting and blunt dramas out there.
0 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A great movie despite some weaknesses
Chris_F_556 August 2015
Despite some weakness to the credibility of the plot development, I enjoyed this film from start to finish. The ending, although perhaps a little soppy, was what I was hoping for although pushed a little far by Boon returning, almost instantly, to his former teen lover of twenty years past and her boy.

The part of Nathan was beautifully and convincingly portrayed by Branden Nadon who, I felt, gave a stunning performance as the hardened streetwise prostitute who has just the same needs and desires as everyone else. The most poignant lines for me were where he said he just wanted to be a good kid and to have a father to help with his homework and go fishing and camping.

Boon and Nathan become slowly attracted despite Boon's reluctance to get into any relationship. Boon's dying father did not provide him with the paternal love and guidance he would have wished for. This reluctance also shows through when he tells his former teen lover that he is not the same man that she knew - he perhaps fears their relationship might be rekindled and him having to take responsibility. Boon strikes me as a character who wishes to avoid responsibility for himself or others. He doesn't wish to collect Nathan from the police station whilst trying as hard as he can to build barriers between them for fear of them becoming closer.

Nathan's craving for a paternal figure and someone to take responsibility for and care for him are consistent with my own real-life experiences. Sadly there are too many neglected and damaged youngsters in need of love and affection. The desperation to find someone to fill that void can sometimes lead to undesirable situations.

This is definitely a feel-good movie which I would happily recommend.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Improbable Road Trip
Suradit14 February 2015
Nathan stays with his mother who is a drug addict and a mother in name only. He's left to fend for himself and to get drugs to support his mother's addiction. He manages this by prostituting himself. At the start of the movie, after making some money the only way he knows how, he brings home some drugs for his mother and she dies from an overdose. He's taken back to a police station and someone from social services is called to take him into care, but he decides to run away.

His father is unknown, even to his mother, but he claims he's heading west to find him. I was never very clear about why he was actually motivated to head toward Vancouver. Maybe he just wanted to get as far away as possible from the life he had been living. He finds a way to coerce a man, Boon, who he runs into at a diner to give him a lift. Coincidentally, Boon was also a man that happened to be at the police station at the same time as he was. Probably one of the greatest weaknesses of the storyline was the heavy reliance on coincidences and the equally unlikely way so many things fell into place to carry the plot forward.

It's hardly surprising that Boon, who appears to be transporting a supply of illegal drugs to someone in Vancouver and who has a load of personal baggage vis-à-vis his own family and childhood, bonds with Nathan along the way, while ostensibly trying to keep an emotional distance from him. Equally expected, there are some misunderstandings, disagreements and complications to their relationship along the way, but it's also fairly obvious that both Nathan and Boon grow on each other.

The ending was something of a surprise, although it too depended in part on some credulity stretching coincidences and a presumed & slightly improbable happily-ever-after denouement.

Well worth watching and a feel-good movie if you're not too picky about the overly "convenient" plot development. The choice of "Jet Boy" for a title seems unfortunate since it might conjure up ideas of a animated comic book character.

Allowing for some dramatic license, the characters were believable and the acting was good. Branden Nadon and Dylan Walsh were especially good as Nathan and Boon.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Ultimate Movie Review! - http://tss5078.blogspot.com - @tss5078
Tss507820 September 2014
Jet Boy is a unique coming of age story, that turns out to be nothing like the description on the back of the box. Many people are going to find it somewhat disturbing, however, unlike similar coming of age stories, Jet Boy does ultimately have a point and it's something most people need to learn. 12 year old Nathan (Branden Nardon) lives in poverty with his mother and all he knows is sex, drugs, and violence, so it's no surprise that at the ripe old age of 12, Nathan is a male prostitute. Things change for him when he meets a man who wants something other than sex. The man wants Nathan to help him with a job, and shows the boy kindness for the first time in his life. Nathan thinks he's fallen in love with this man and makes advances, only to be rejected. From his experiences, Nathan will ultimately come to learn that sex and love are two very different things and that kindness, doesn't always mean what he thought it meant. This film was Branden Nardon's acting debut and what a job he did. Part of me questions how someone with no experience can put on a performance like that, while the other part wants to know what kind of parents allow their kids to do something like this. Nardon doesn't just show off his talent with this performance, but he also shows a fearlessness that could come from upbringing or immaturity. Jet Boy is thankfully no where near as graphic as a film as Mysterious Skin, but it still has a few scenes that aren't easy to watch. This film is strange and someone disturbing, but by comparison it does have a message, that similar films don't. The writer is telling audiences to be weary of people who are overly kind, but in the end it doesn't mean that they're looking for something. In it's own bizarre way, it's also saying that sex is sex, and sometimes it's about anything other than love. An impossible lesson to have to learn at such a young age, but that is the true meaning of the film. Nathan learns something at a very young age, that we should have all learned in our adolescents and he ultimately becomes a better person for it. Jet Boy isn't an easy film to watch and many people are going to be turned off by the sheer age of the actor involved, but I like how everything turned out in the end. I was also introduced to a terrific young talent, and I appreciated the fact that the film got it's message across without being overly explicit. Sometimes we need to leave our comfort zones to experience something different and get a message that we general don't think a whole lot about, and for that I do recommend this film.
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
To survive a boy needs a father figure
The gay theme is only secondary in this film. A rather young boy, probably ten or eleven, the son of a drug addicted mother who dies one day on him with an overdose she gets from the heroin he has brought her and he had bought with the money he had made with an older man he had serviced intimately.

He escapes social services and manages to find himself in the hands, some sort of two way blackmailing or dependence, of a man he decides is going to be his father. He manages to get in his car and the man starts taking him to Vancouver.

On the way to there the man goes back to his hometown where he visits his invalid and unconscious father but that leads him to a girl friend from a long time ago and the boy he is transporting, Nathan, falls for the son of the woman. The man, Boon, falls again or anew for the woman, but he is on a big case, though we do not know exactly what, criminal probably.

Nathan comes to a desperate proposal to keep Boon, a desperate intimate proposal that Boon refuses and that refusal sets Nathan on the run again.

The action ends up in Vancouver for sure where Nathan is more or less in the room of an older man and needs to be reprieved from perdition while Boon is following and arriving and breaking a door, and at the same time he is getting tailed by an important criminal of some kind he is dealing with.

The end is sentimental in a way but everything gets clear though most of the important scenes happen in the night with little light and kind of all blurred up in and by darkness.

The question of the film is simple. Does a boy need a father? What kind of substitute activities can a boy without a father do to feel close to an older man? The answer is as simple as the question. Yes a boy needs a father or a father substitute and a boy without such a father model next to him will do all kinds of risky and dumb things to feel older than he is and to fill the emptiness he experiences in his heart somewhere between his brain and his diaphragm.

Maybe it could be better not to show that film to children under the tender age of ten or something like that. And be ready to answer a few questions if your son is too young and direct enough to ask embarrassing queries.

Dr Jacques COULARDEAU
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
What a great film!
Greg29 September 2011
*** Some BIG spoilers about plot development follow, so be warned ***

I caught this movie a few days ago and I've been thinking about it ever since. I almost never write movie reviews here. I'm glad to see a version of this film has made it to DVD. It is hard to explain exactly what makes this such a great film to me, but writing as someone with a few father/son issues of my own this movie has unexpectedly and profoundly affected me.

The performances from the leads are great, especially from Branden Nadon and Dylan Walsh, and the story moves along well. Young Branden is just excellent here - he breathes real life into his character - making him both toughened and vulnerable at the same time. Where is he? We need to see more of him as an adult actor.

The script may become a little unrealistic at the end to push us towards our happy ending, but I can forgive it that because it's the ending I was hoping for. Some of the other characters are only sketched, but they are all carefully positioned to support the two performances at the heart of this story.

I challenge any audience to remain unmoved by the final scenes between Boon and Nathan. How could anyone want anything else for these characters? Love and redemption win for them both, and they find it in each other. I can honestly say that nothing on film has moved me more than this for a long time.

If you're used to a diet of slick, multiplex fodder then some of the production values may disappoint you occasionally, but none of that gets in the way of the telling of this neatly crafted little story.

Dave Schultz is to be congratulated for creating a very moving independent Canadian film on what I imagine was a limited budget. He successfully navigates a taboo subject to create a little gem of storytelling about fathers and sons.

And the track over the closing titles "Whisper in Time" by Bad Religion is killer! Very appropriate.

Recommended.

Greg
10 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Something about this movie
xletxmexgox12 March 2011
There's just something about this movie that pulls you in. Overall, it's got unbelievable parts (Boon and his girlfriend picking up their relationship in one day, after not seeing each other for twenty years, Boon being able to sign Nathan out of jail, etc), and the boy who plays Nathan isn't that great of an actor... But despite all that, there's something about this movie that just... I don't know, pulls you in, and makes you want to cry for Nathan. The scene in the field with the other boy, where Nathan describes the abuse at the hands of his mother and her boyfriends, you can tell he's trying to be strong, trying not to cry... and it made me want to cry, and I'm not one who cries easily. The scene in the motel with Boon is another heart breaker, as you watch this boy - who has been so screwed up that he feels sex is the only way he can be loved- struggle to keep himself from crying as he offers himself to the man he wants to be his father... This was a wonderful script, and even with Nathan's mediocre acting, it still shines through as an amazing movie.
7 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One of the best made for TV movies I've seen
drpakmanrains27 April 2010
About once or twice a year I find a film that has been seen by almost no one, and yet turns out to be outstanding and should have reached a much larger audience. Jet Boy is in this category. Branden Nadon gives such a superb performance as a boy "Nathan" turning 14 and living in conditions no child should have to endure, that it stirs the "rescue" urge in anyone with a conscience that something like this can happen in Canada or America. The story was written by the director David Schultz, and it is a terrific story. I don't agree that it is a bad movie that nevertheless moves the viewer. I admit it has a few flaws, but most movies do, and they are relatively minor here. Like how Dylan Walsh's "Boon" can so easily reject Nathan after being protective a minute earlier, or how they re-connect in Vancouver when neither knew where the other was in such a large city. Their extended hug near the end is very affecting, and did not hurt the movie in my opinion, as others have suggested. It reflected Boon's realization that he truly cared for Nathan, for he was influenced by his rekindled love interest telling him he is not (and does not have to be like) his own cold, dying, father. Still to see a movie with a raw ugly streetwise theme manage to be uplifting and presented in a way that even young teenagers can watch is quite an accomplishment. It was also great to see a boy who looked to be the age he was playing, rather than an adult playing a much younger person. The scenes where Boon reunites with his high school love and her 13 year old son are beautifully done, and the two boys are so real together, it's hard to believe they are acting. And when the two slightly older boys go out with them and they all get into minor trouble, it seems perfectly believable. Especially when Lloyd, the 13 year old, breaks down and cries at the police station. Each time after I have watched this film, it takes me 30 minutes to stop dwelling on it. I'm so glad I purchased this film sight unseen based on an Amazon recommendation. It is one of my all-time favorites already. I hope some of you reading this will do the same. You won't be sorry.
17 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A Flawed Wonder
Bill Davis9 November 2008
I gave this a 9 out of 10, which is extraordinary for what, in many ways, is a pretty bad film. Sometimes a movie can touch you, like this one does, even though you know it has some terribly bad aspects like cardboard-cutout characters and unbelievable plot turns. In a movie that often has the complexity and production values of an ABC Afternoon Special, there is the stirring performance of Branden Nadon as Nathan, a young male prostitute, latching onto a drifter he wants to be his ... father figure? lover? both? There are many unanswered questions here, opportunities missed, time spent on uninteresting plot lines. But instead of walking away in disgust, Nadon's performance and character just leaves you hungry for more, and wishing scenes had been expanded. There's a scene where Nathan tells a gay teen who has just kissed him, "I just want to be a good kid," and it so excruciating and sweet and sad you wish the scene had gone on forever. When Nathan accompanies the drifter to the drifter's home town, none of the people he encounters there know how worldly he is, or how wounded he is, and how he longs to belong to someone. It's a poignant performance you won't easily forget.
35 out of 39 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
dark version of Dear Frankie
Bobbycenturion16 January 2008
This movie after seeing it the first time a few weeks ago moved me. It was such a great story of two people coming together as father and son. It was like a dark version of "Dear Frankie". The acting was great, you will feel sorry for Nathan for what he went through, and he is better off with Boone. And some scenes in the movie, you almost cringed when you something was going to happen, like with the gun. But the scenes when Boone's girlfriend thought Nathan and Boone were father and son was the best!! It made you want to make the scene go on forever, and you will have to watch the movie to see what happened!! This movie ranks up there with some of my personal favorites!! Wish this film had got around, so more people could enjoy it!!!
12 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Amazing Film - Sad Story.
RazielTomorrow8 February 2007
-------SPOILERS BEGIN HERE-------

A very sad tale about a young boy named Nathan. The movie begins on his birthday. He lives with his mother, and has never met his father. His mother's a heroin addict, and Nathan supports him, his mother, and her habit by prostituting himself. His mother dies very early in the film of a drug overdose, and Nathan proceeds to run away from social services.

He soon meets Boon. Boon is an 30-something seemingly dead beat jerk. Nathan convinces Boon to let him tag along for the ride to Vancouver.

-------SPOILERS END HERE-------

The majority of the movie occurs in Boon's home town. Boon meets his high school sweetheart, Erin, and Nathan befriends her son Lloyd. Things take a turn for the worst when it's revealed to Erin that he is not Nathan's father.

I'll save the great ending...go watch the movie

The movie shines light on the problem of child prostitution, but it's also a heartwarming father-son story.

A must see for all!
13 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Great Canadian road movie
Andreas Niedermayer29 December 2005
Jet Boy deals with some very sensitive subjects. It does so with skillful honesty and without falling into stereotypes and melodramatic depictions. It is a real-life drama that convinces with its sincere authenticity and the profound quality of the interaction between the two leading characters.

The movie is set in Canada and shot in Vancouver, B.C., Calgary and Linden, Alberta, and the road between. It can be qualified as a road movie and as a drama focusing on characters influenced by their cultural milieu and by each other. The movie has a simple story and is still complex in its plot development as well as in the pace of plot revelations. The audience never stops learning about the two main characters, their individual stories and their background, which provides the movie with tremendous quality and causes curiosity that makes the audience dive into the story and stay alert.

The main protagonist is Nathan, played by newcomer Branden Nadon. We are introduced to him as he sells his body on his 14th birthday. These very subtle scenes at the beginning make us aware of how desperate this young boy is. He is a hustler, but still a child. We get a very good impression of his life – a bleak, exploited life without much room for dreams and no way out. Then we are introduced to his family. He has no father and his mother is a drug addict. She dies right at the beginning due to an overdose, which leaves Nathan orphaned and totally isolated.

The second main character is a rough and mysterious man named Boon Palmer (played by Dylan Walsh), a man we do not know anything about. Apparently he has a questionable past as some kind of criminal. All we know is that he is up to something and violent if challenged.

Nathan is on the road, running away from the social services that would take him in, heading towards Vancouver, when he encounters Boon in a road pub. He associates with him and manages to make the taciturn man give him a ride to the city. On their way they stop in a motel in a small town, where Boon grew up and where he has to settle something. It becomes clear from the very beginning of their traveling companionship that Nathan sees much more than a temporary ride in Boon, but pins all his hopes on him. He does everything to please the man, makes their breakfast and – as some subtle hints reveal – would not mind sleeping in the same bed with him.

Once in the small town, we find out some interesting bits and pieces about Boon's past, about his imperious father, about his old flame and his life twenty years ago. We still do not know who Boon is today, but we get a clearer idea of his roots and find out that he is indeed a rather likable person, which we could not expect right from the beginning. The growing relationship between Boon and Nathan is characterized by frictions, but still slowly growing in depth. Boon renews a sexual affair with his old flame while Nathan associates with some local lads.

The movie's climax is emotionally stirring and intriguingly played by the two leading characters. Nathan breaks away as Boon neglects his love and his yearning for paternal appreciation. Boon has to finish his job in Vancouver, and there he sees how Nathan offers himself to a client. He follows them and rushes into the hotel room as Nathan is about to be sexually harassed. Boon hugs Nathan, and the emotional turmoil makes the boy break down and cry. As they leave the hotel, we find out that Boon is in fact an undercover cop – something we did not know throughout the entire movie. They drive back to the small town, as it seems happily united.

This last aspect is probably slightly, just slightly overdone and a bit corny. The rest of the movie is profoundly authentic and smashing in its sincere character portrayal of a strange man and a young hustler who help each other out of their bleak lives. These two characters carry complex problems and their interaction makes up the emotional thrill of the whole production. The soundtrack is flawless and the camera work lives up to the decisive moments. The other characters are fairly flat, but this is okay here, as the two protagonists carry the burden and define the pace and the quality of the plot development.

I give Jet Boy a 9 because it handles a very sensitive issue – child prostitution – frankly and without corny stereotypes. It furthermore delivers a fine character portrayal and focuses on a very strong father-son aspect, set in a cultural stratum in which hope and trust are hard to find and even harder to maintain. The two leading actors are just brilliant, and thus Jet Boy is an authentic Canadian movie, a wonderful portrayal of genuine human struggles
40 out of 41 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
sad story
bileriphon30 November 2002
It's a good movie. It's about a boy who sells himself for money. And then his mom dies and he has no dad, so he has no where to go. While in a diner he mats Boon. It's sad because in one scene he says "I just want to be a good kid" and you feel sad for him. He dosen't want Boon too leave him all alone.Branden Nadon plays Nathan,the main character. It's also good because it's canadian.
19 out of 41 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Great movie!
coolloser23 October 2002
I was bored and wanted to watch a movie, Jet Boy was the only movie starting at that moment so I started to watch it. The beginning hooked me right away, I wanted to know what would happen to this young boy who was selling himself on his twelfth birthday. This movie hooked me and it kept me hooked all the way through. A lot of neat things happened :)
27 out of 40 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
An interesting father/son and road trip movie
jamesbmerak19 November 2001
This movie reminded me in ways of Stand By Me and Boys In The Hood...very reflective, with themes of growing up and interpersonal relationship, but also like Stand By Me a theme of journey.

Except for a somewhat overly sweet ending, the tone of the movie and the characters are right on the mark, exactly right for the themes and plot and character development. The acting was very real and human, and the characters could be easily related to. Even with sometimes sensitive subject matter, never did the acting seem at all false, in fact it seemed particularly true with the hardest subjects. (The sweet surprise ending, however, does not quite make sense with the rest of the plot, and made other parts of the plot seem somewhat unrealistic, though they were quite realistic without this revelation.)

I would recommend the film highly. Note that due to sensitive subject matter, parents should probably see the film before letting younger children see it, and watch the film with them.
22 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this