IMDb > Eight Crazy Nights (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Eight Crazy Nights

Eight Crazy Nights More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 16:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

The whole thing's a technical foul

Author: Steve Pulaski from United States
18 June 2013

Boy, am I glad that I didn't watch Adam Sandler's Eight Crazy Nights during the holiday season. I would've been more morose than when I watched Bad Santa two weeks before Christmas last year. But after viewing that I was morose in the kind of way that is a tad more welcoming than hurting. If I had seen this film weeks leading up to Christmas, I'd feel slightly contemptible and sad inside.

This is a cynical, depraved film that, even worse, has no reason to be so cynical and depraved. It's expected of Sandler to include scatological humor and slight-offensiveness in his films, sure, but it's unexpected of him to include such derogatory representations of his own culture and unnecessary rudeness in the time of the holidays. I can only imagine the stunned reactions of parents that were lured into this with the appeal of Christmas images and holiday sweetness on TV only to be met with one smarmy, laugh-free punch after another. It's so rare we get a film that deals with a holiday aside from Christmas during the December month; did the one Hanukkah film we get have to be directed by Adam Sandler? He voices several characters in the film, one of them Davey, who he also resembles, a Jewish man in his mid-thirties, deeply loathing of the holidays and all the cheer they bring to people. After being convicted of public drunkenness in yet another offense, just when he's about to go away to prison, Whitey Duvall (voiced by Sandler, as well), the local youth basketball coach, offers him a job as a referee down at the gym to which he accepts. Whitey is a short, kind old man, who lives with his wife Eleanor (also voiced by Sandler), and whole-heartedly believes that Davey could do right if he put his mind to it. The problem is Davey doesn't have any ambition to do right and consistently puts everyone around him down because he himself can't be happy with the cards he has been dealt.

There's only so many times I can watch a man belittle and harass a sweet older man until it becomes nearly unwatchable. The constant abuse Davey brings to Whitey's life is mean-spirited just for the sake of being mean-spirited and rarely results in a laugh or a smile. Davey's attitude, alone, never sparks any particular laugh either. There's a big difference between someone who adopts a sour attitude because of past life experiences that have scarred him and a person who adopts one purely out of choice. Davey has one event in his life that happened at a young age that was supposed to spawn this cynicism and disgust for human happiness and holiday cheer. That was years ago and you think the anger and hostile would've worn off with the passage of almost two decades. Not a chance. He remains as mean and as nasty as if the event occurred yesterday.

The film is also a musical, which isn't as awful as that sounds. Some songs, particularly "Davey's Song," are kind of infectious in their contempt for the holidays. "Technical Foul," the song Whitey sings when he's introducing Davey to all the rules of his own, is a cute little anthem as well. However, none of which allow Eight Crazy Nights to surpass its codger attitude to everything it sets up. But it feels even more insincere when the film abandons its mean-spiritedness for the fluffy, Hallmark-card cuteness that it feels obligated to tack on in the last act of the film to show Davey really has come a long way as a human. I would've had more respect for the film had it stayed true to its inherently grumpy roots.

Adam Sandler's Eight Crazy Nights is an unhealthy film for the holidays. A cheap, trite ordeal, at only seventy-six minutes, it's an obnoxious pictures that gives a new meaning to the word "humbug." It's a blatant ripoff of A Christmas Carol, and tries to justify its mean-spirited qualities as the formula for a "reformation," change-of-mind story that we've seen time and time again in better, more tolerable films.

Voiced by: Adam Sandler, Jackie Titone, Austin Stout, and Rob Schneider. Directed by: Seth Kearsley.

Don't waste your time or your money on this...

Author: Drewboy-2
8 December 2002

The animation looked pretty good - the police car was up to date at least. But the plot line in this sophomoric stinker was the worst I'd ever seen, with only one possible exception. The rating should have been an "R" and it wouldn't be the first for an animated feature. Insulted my intelligence!

Apalling

Author: keithD-4 from Calgary
11 November 2003

I had no choice but to watch this movie at a friends last night. I have no problem with toilet humor and crude can sometimes be funny. But watching deer defecate (does this count as a spoiler!?) and then happily eat frozen human excrement is not funny. And in a movie about a jewish festival....Old Whitey's voice is intensely and constantly irritating as is his sister's, but I guess that's just personal opinion. There were one or two funny moments, one song near the end was amusing, but this still genuinely ranks as one of the worst movies of all time. The actual animation wasn't bad, which is about the best that can be said for it. A waste of the animators' talent and energy. Truely apalling.

What's wrong with this movie?

Author: yabuturtle from United States
4 August 2007

Seriously, what's wrong with you people? So what if Adam Sandler plays a bunch of other people? It was still very entertaining. This movie was beautifully animated and had pretty funny scenes. The songs were pretty catchy too. If you think this has a lot of toilet humor, then you haven't seen nothing yet. There are movies with a hell of a lot more toilet humor than this. And there are holiday movies far worse than this. There's nothing wrong with toilet humor anyways. It's only bad if they overdo it, and to me, they didn't overdo it in this movie. You people who don't like it are all acting like this is Adam Sandler's worse movie ever and you're wrong. It does have pretty good comedy, and it's nice to see a holiday movie with a little more adult humor for a change.

It also shows why real people might be grumpy around the holidays. ( Like Davey Stone hearing about his parents killed on Chanukah). And it shows that people in real life can really be mean to one another for no more reason then the way the look or sound or act. (Like Whitey for example). This movie has it's morals and comedy and it can even be a little sad sometimes. Seeing Davey go from a real good kid to a real jackass was kind of sad to see. Luckily, he realizes that it's not right to do what he's doing and he changes his ways. I just wish I can see people in real life change their ways, too.

The bottom line is, this is a good movie. I don't know why it got such a low rating. It's just appalling. Like Mr. Chan would say " Sound to me like you are all on crack! " In my opinion, that was his best line ever. Anyways, see this movie!

Eight Crazy Nights Sucks!!!

Author: devonsterling10 from United States
22 April 2013

When you hear the name Adam Sandler, what do u think of? Funny, Humorous, a Comedic Genius? Well that's not what i think: when I hear Adam Sandler I think of an Idiotic, Unoriginal, Gross, Immature, LOSER! I've hated Adam Sandler from the moment i first saw him. I always thought his movies and his humor were really dry and uninspired. The only good movie he did was "Wedding Singer". But Eight Crazy Nights: Sandler's first try at an animated film was a complete failure. This Movie Sucks! The main reason that this movie fails is it's not funny, it's an Adam Sandler movie, and let's not forget it's uninspired story and the movie is just gross. Other than this movie having me laughing it had me feeling sick. I knew Adam Sandler was going for an animated feature I was like: "NO! Just NO!" Other than having actual jokes to make the audiences laugh like most Adam Sandler movies he always dives into toilet humor. This is sort of like an animated version of Jack and Jill but except without the annoying twin. Oh wait there's annoying twins in this to. Anyway let's talk about the movie. The film centers on Davey Stone (Adam Sandler) a drunken, idiotic, immature crook who is arrested for not paying a bill at a Chinese restaurant. At his court sentence he meets one of our main characters Whitey (Adam Sandler)and he takes Davey under his wing and is given a second chance by the judge to change and reform. One of the worst parts of this movie is Whitey and his sister Eleanor (Adam Sandler). They're both annoying! I hate their voices and they make fun of the clubbed foot and have seizures. I hate how Sandler tries to do his "funny voices" which come off as more annoying than funny. The plot in this film is so repetitive because we see it 1,000,000 times. A guy who is a criminal learns his lesson in the end and he reforms, that's this movie. Also, I'd like to talk about this movie's animation. I'm a big fan of animated movies like the cinema classic 'Iron Giant' which happens to be my favorite. The main reason that I find the film to be an outstanding movie is it's beautiful animation. The animation in this movie is lazy and gross. The songs in this movie are terrible. When we get to the song 'Long Ago' I actually thought this was gonna be a good song until Whitey decided to be annoying and ruin it. The main reason that this film fails is it's not funny at all. This film never made me laugh it just made me sick. This mainly comes from the scenes with the deer. Who'd rather just be gross and try to make the viewers sick as possible! This film is so bad that it's scary. The sickest and scariest part in the entire movie is the knock knock joke scene.

Overall don't see this movie. The plot is crap, the songs are awful and poorly written, it's not funny, it's not clever, the animation's lazy, and it's gross people. One thing i found out that people I know say they like this movie. WHY!? What's there to like? What's there to love? What's there to actually enjoy? And also people say this movie's sad and it made them cry. The only waterworks I had was I was crying from how bad this load of bulls**t was. How could a movie this bad could make someone feel happy and cry? HOW IS IT POSSIBLE!!!!!! Please tell me. Come on! This isn't a good movie people! And not a good holiday film either!!! It's one of the worst comedies ever made, one of the worst animated movies ever made, one of the worst movies ever made, and this movie is so bad that it's scary!!

I'd suggest stay as far away from this movie as possible. But, if you wanna see it I suggest bring a bag to throw up in.

I know IMDb has a 1/10 score. But I award Eight Crazy Nights 1,000 Middle Fingers.

Out of 'toon: Sandler's 'Nights' stinks

Author: gregeichelberger from San Diego
24 January 2013

Originally published on Dec. 6, 2002:

If there's one thing worse than an Adam Sandler film, it's an ANIMATED Adam Sandler film, and the newest Columbia release, "Eight Crazy Nights," is certainly no exception to this rule.

And despite some allusions to Dickens' tale of redemption and forgiveness in "A Christmas Carol," this story is vile, depressing and mean-spirited with absolutely no redeeming value but to give the normally intelligent viewer a terrific migraine.

The title refers to the eight nights of Hannukah and is about as respectful to the Jewish faith as a Yassar Arafat speech in the West Bank or Adolf Hitler's Nuremberg Laws.

Plot has Sandler-voiced Davey Stone, a bitter alcoholic (can you feel the Holiday spirit?!) sentenced to community service by a judge with as much sense as Lance Ito.

This punishment, which involves him as a referee for youth basketball games is like putting Jeffrey Dahmer in charge of a Boy Scout picnic. In this position, Stone is sheltered by another ref, Whitey (also voiced by Sandler), a small, goofy old man whose kindness is repaid by being shoved down a hill while using a porta-potty.

Sidesplitting so far, isn't it? Another scene we're supposed to laugh at is when Stone insults a pudgy boy by making fun of his breasts. Comedy like will most likely appeal to drunken idiots or college frat guys with absolutely nothing better to do.

Another problem with this film is that with each rotten insult, each lame joke and each failing gag is that the viewer - if he or she has ANY brains at all - actually feels embarrassed to be in on it. In other words, there is nothing even remotely humorous about this horrid dung-heap.

And Stone, even though a cartoon, is such a revolting, nasty, unsympathetic lead that one feels nothing but open disdain for his character. Even the script's lame attempt to justify his behavior by making his parents die on the eve of Hannakah when he was a kid, does not illicit one bit of positive emotion at all.

To make things even worse, the picture is sprinkled with several Holiday song parodies, including a new version of Sandler's "Hannakah Song," making it one of the worst musicals since "Grease 2" and "Newsies." Like any number of Sandler movies (with the possible exception of "The Water Boy" and "The Wedding Singer"), intelligent dialogue is substituted with maniacal outbursts and acts of bizarre violence, while comedy is replaced with vulgarities and just plain stupidity.

Then, there's the artwork, which features Stone drawn to look just like Sadler, but other principal characters inked like poor versions of Yoda, while several of the star's stable-mates, including "SNL" alumni Rob Schneider and Kevin Nealon, among others fill up the non-talented vocal cast.

All in all, "Eight Crazy Night" is about as cheerful and watching an embalming and is a film that only Ed Gein would enjoy - although he might have had better taste than that now that I think about it.

Obviously, many people missed the point completely.

Author: Javin from Washington, D.C.
24 November 2007

If you're not an Adam Sandler fan, you will not like this movie. Period. If you claim to be a fan because you like one or two of his movies, don't bother. If you've followed his career since Saturday Night Live, and have always been a fan, you will absolutely love this movie.

This movie is classic Sandler. His first animated feature, Adam was obviously having a lot of fun with this one and the humor is right along the lines of Happy Gilmore, and Billy Madison, the very movies that rocketed Adam Sandler into the success he is today.

If you can see the humor in a midget seizing while saying, "This is the happiest day of my life," deer laughing so hard poop shoots out their backsides, and classic Adam Sandler songs like those he got his start with (if you know and love "Lunch Lady Land") this movie is for you.

This movie is chocked full of one-liners, and senseless humor that is 100% Adam Sandler, and absolutely hilarious. There's surprisingly a plot hidden in there that's actually interesting enough to get you involved, but watch it for the classic Sandler fun.

If you like classic Sandler, I can't recommend this movie enough.

8 wasted dollars

Author: (ashspicefilms@yahoo.com) from USA
5 December 2002

People on this site are complaining that people who don't like it are simply upset because they don't like it's stupid or gross humor. I am here to dispell that fallacy. The very vulgar Baseketball is a work of art in my opinion. I cracked up at the obscenity-laden Jay and Silent Bob strike back. The brainless Kung Pow brought tears of laughter to my eyes. Even a lot of Sandler's jokes and songs on his CD's are pretty funny. The reason I can't stand this movie is not because of the nature of the jokes, it's because it's a terrible movie! When leaving the feature (sadly I witnessed the whole thing) I apologized to the people I went with for picking it. Next we conversed on how hard it must be to make a movie that bad. I really wish I trusted my instinct to walk out during the opening sequence. Those were 90 something minutes I could have done something infinitely more entertaining and time-efficient, like relaced shoes, walked in circles, stared at a wall, etc...

funny movie (i'm no sandler fanatic)

Author: bmmcdonald from United States
26 November 2006

I saw this movie a year or so ago on television. I had never even heard of it before but when I sat down to watch it I thought it was a pretty funny movie that did a good job of capturing the holiday spirit. I see that there are a lot of sandler enthusiasts on here who think this movie sucks because they have to compare this movie with all of his other work. I don't think I would even place a movie like this in the same critical category as his other films. With that being said I thought the movie was original in perspective and outright hilarious. Whitey Duvall makes me laugh every time I see his odd shaped feet and hear his squeaky voice. This film has a pretty mature sense of humor and wouldn't be suitable for small children but if you have teenagers i think it's great for a family laugh.

Hot Garbage served on a sweltering day.

Author: LilOwens from Canada
16 July 2014

Yes eating garbage would be a more pleasant experience than this ridiculous turd of a movie. Sandler plays the role of an incredibly juvenile and self loathing man, that is just a rehash of his angry boy who refuses to grow up character from his other movies. He also doubles (horribly) as an elderly loser who is constantly the butt of the joke amongst the towns folk. Yet again he triples as the loser's homebody sister. The jokes are mean spirited throughout, and you are expected to go from laughing at the old loser to feeling sympathetic towards his goal of a patch of recognition from the town on a moment's notice. Sandler, his writing and directing team, as welll as the animators, all put in phoned-in performances. This is easily the worst effort and result of Sandler's career. Yes, even worse than the boat movie he did before his time on SNL.

Whitey, the old loser sums up this movie, and Sandler the best...., "You're a freaking degenerate!"

Yup, he sure is! The meanness of this attempt at comedy isn't remotely funny, and the haphazard turns are high melodrama. Avoid, and even tho the movie is animated it is not for children, due to the jokes all being rooted in either feces (literally), or humour coming at the expense of people's dignity.

Page 1 of 16:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]