IMDb > Soul Assassin (2001) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Soul Assassin More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 5: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

verschrikkelijke kutfilm (not a very good picture)

Author: Eddy (e.vandijk@call2.nl) from Amsterdam, Holland
27 January 2003

What I hated most about the film is that the building most of the film is shot in has is located in Amsterdam, but the view is of a bridge in Rotterdam for a resident of Amsterdam this would be his ultimate nightmare.

then in a, i have to say, nicely shot chase on the canals, suddenly, the character played by Skeet Ulrich is in Utrecht. there are too many of these things in the movie to explain.

maybe this is the cause, of the film not getting really good credits in Holland.

An advice to future directors, who want to shoot a film in holland, take notice of the fact, somethings don`t mix, taking the view of the Rotterdam bridge from a Building in Amsterdam as main example.

Neat and Decidedly Different

Author: lynxpoint2001 from Encino, CA
31 December 2002

I rented this film at the same time I rented Trapped and got an entirely opposite reaction from one to the other even though both were action thrillers.

Trapped was a mess. Big names, big budget for explosions and chases. Soul Assassin appears to have been made on a comparative shoe string budget (bicycle chases in Amsterdam?). Anyway, it has style, no really big names, an attitude (Hi Tech look, feel, sound track) and a lot of fun. Check your preconceptions at the door and enjoy the ride.

Overall a thumbs up -I rented a pleasant surprise - the ending was the real kick.

Author: wmafloater from Los Angeles
15 November 2002

Soul Assassin is about a young man Kevin Burke, (played by Skeet Ulrich) who's the golden boy at his work. It seems like he has everything, nice boss, nice salary, nice girlfriend (a co-worker), and even a healthy rivalry with the bosses' son "Junior" (don't call him that it makes him mad.) It's a big day for Kevin, he's going to propose to his girlfriend - so the boss gives him the afternoon off, the keys to a fancy hotel room and (as it turns out) a promotion to VP of Security.

Kevin and his girlfriend go to the hotel, his future looks bright, everything's going according to plan - unfortunately for Kevin it's not HIS plan. When they arrive at the hotel Kevin tries to set the mood, but his girlfriends a little antsy - - she asks him what the real reason is they're there and looks like she needs to tell him something important when the door knocks, she looks at Kevin..."Go ahead and answer it" (one of his surprises no doubt), she opens the door to reveal a bellboy holding 2 dozen roses with a card that says "Will you marry me?" - - then the bellboy opens fire, and despite Kevin's efforts, the bellboy kills his future fiancee and gets away. Then the story begins...who killed Kevin's girlfriend, and why?

I liked it! :-) A little over-stylized and it felt like a suspense film shot as an action. They used the blue filter so much you wondered why they just didn't shoot in B&W. To be honest, the end was a real hook (and you wouldn't want me to reveal the end would you? ;-))

Skeet Ulrich was amazingly likeable in this role as an ordinary guy, who's pretty much got everything handed to him, but DOESN'T let that interfere with his ability to reason. I've never really liked Skeet until this movie, it was a good choice for him.

My second favorite character was the villain...you don't really know who he is until the end - because everyone's pretty much a suspect but trust me it turns out to be the guy you LOVE to hate. I liked the introduction of the gay hacker, nicely done (and not overdone) - it's rare to see a gay man in a movie who's not totally over-the-top or totally dead-serious. PLUS...they've allowed the gay man to have a brain, which is probably a first.

Some of the dialogue made me smile, like when Kevin' walkin' up the steps to Tessa's apartment dressed in disguise as a delivery guy and some retard's like "Hey, I love your California Rolls" and Kevin says "Thanks, I make 'em myself".

There was a cool bike getaway scene, very nice. A ramp jump to the top of a passing boat saved his life, then he turns around and flips them off. Nice touch (lol). Those bad guys should've trained a little harder in their childhood neighborhood so they wouldn't be left in the dust. I'd also never seen a film made in Rotterdam (that I can remember) so it was a nice different kind of flavor for a backdrop.

Overall a thumbs up, for me it was like "Resident Evil" - the end really pulled it all together and made me think it was a good movie.

Neat Movie

Author: philyben from Los Angeles, CA
6 November 2002

Saw it on cable. Good acting from Skeet. I think he's a cool lead actor. A chase on a bike was refreshing after so many boring high speed car chases in other movies. The plot was interesting. About betrayal by those who you think you trust the most. I liked the locations in Holland. I like the sound track too. The heavy metal complimented Hi Tech look of the film. I went out and bought the DVD.

Exciting, kind of violent, but fun

Author: trexrext from Agoura Hills, CA
29 July 2002

Fast paced and cool.

I liked the way things moved along so quickly, but at the same time you began to care about the characters. I was surprised at how good some of the acting was in what was obviously a fairly low budgeted action flic. I had more fun watching Soul Assassin than I have had at movies that were ten times "bigger".

Where has this liitle gem been?

Author: pussycataimee from Oxnard, CA
28 July 2002

Just caught this little action thriller. It's a real kick. Liked the pacing and the intensity. Most of these small action pics are impossible to understand plot wise, but this one was very good in that area.

The actors were good, Skeet, Kristy and Derek de Lint especially.

SO UNIQUE SO DIFFERENT I LOVED IT

Author: movieman-138
12 June 2003

This movie has tons of action. The acting is so bad by skeet but o well. This was non-stop action. It is 2:44 am right now and I can't really go into detail why it was so good, but if your looking for a GREAT action film see this. A note about the plot...it goes in crazy circle...actually gave me a headache..and lastly I never thought I'd say this but I am actually going to seek this movie out that has a 3.5 right now and BUY IT...

SO UNIQUE SO DIFFERENT I LOVED IT

Author: movieman-138
12 June 2003

Classic story.

Author: Charles Dahlgren from King George, VA, USA
12 December 2002

Although the texture; direction, editing, lighting, and music of Soul Assassin is cutting-edge modern, the story is the classic tale of a young man seeking the acceptance and approval from his father, or in this case the father figure. Although the girl friend, Rosalind, actress Katherine Lang, is captivating and it is obvious the director grooved on working with her, her character's purpose is to advance the larger story. Skeet Ulrich who plays the young man is well cast. He has a wonderful masculine balance between the heft needed to command the role with the vulnerability that draws us in when he is in danger. In short; a gritty, dark (blue), stylish, well-told crime movie with an interesting variation on a classic theme.

A Nice Surprise

Author: anime_hair from New York
26 November 2002

There's nothing better than finding a fun movie that you've never heard of before. This was just such a movie. I rented it on the recommendation of a friend, and was pleasantly surprised. The story was unpredictable, the action was solid, the music was great, what more can be said? A fun little action flick well-worth renting.

Page 3 of 5: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]