America's favorite amphibian

Author: Grann-Bach (Grann-Bach@jubii.dk) from Denmark
28 June 2010

This featurette is found on the DVD of Creature From the Black Lagoon. It consists of interviews with cast members, collectors and experts, clips from the trilogy, production and concept stills and narration. They talk about the entire series(although the third seems to get rather little time... was there not much to say about it? All they seem to go into about it, other than the plot, is how the title being becomes more human, which it has been to an extent from the first one. In general, the original seems to be the main focus of this, but it most likely is by far the best one; I can't say, as it's the only of them that I've watched), the 3D(with a solid explanation of how it worked), the actors, the designs(the ones that were used and the one that wasn't), and the legacy of these films. I have to admit, I had no idea they had such extensive an assortment of merchandise for this "monster". Everyone in this has something to say, albeit it does do the love-fest thing, and not all of the information is interesting. It's put together nicely, very smoothly; I can only think of one spot where an anecdote came out of nowhere and had nothing to do with what was being talked about. There is a little violence and a discussion of the sexual undertones of that particular swimming sequence in this. I recommend it to any fan of the franchise. 7/10

"The creature from the black lagoon... America's favourite amphibian." OK DVD documentary.

Author: Paul Andrews (poolandrews@hotmail.com) from UK
29 December 2006

Back to the Black Lagoon: A Creature Chronicle is a 50 odd minute long look into the there films that the creature from the black lagoon appeared in during the 50's & they're enduring popularity.

The documentary is basically your average interviews & opinions from some of those who were involved/liked the films in question, for my money there was far too much self congratulatory 'didn't we/he/she/I do a great job' nonsense that becomes tedious & annoying to listen to. We know the strengths of the films in question so why not use the time more wisely & discuss the making of them more & include more trivia? Don't get me wrong there's stuff on the creation of the creature & the filming of it but it gets lost & is very slight information that isn't very memorable.

The documentary takes a 20 odd minute look at Creature from the Black Lagoon & then switches it's attention to a 15 minute look at it's sequel Revenge of the Creature (1955) & an even shorter look at the third & final film in the series The Creature Walks Among Us (1956).

As expected a lot of people involved with the making of these films are no longer with us so digging up surviving cast & crew members (no pun intended) was probably a thankless task so there's not too many of the people that were involved with the making of these films featured.

Don't get me wrong as a free extra on a DVD at 50 minutes it's good value but you won't learn much & those fan-boy type contributor's who can't lavish enough praise over it are annoying. Worth a watch but could have been better, or am I just being greedy by wanting more?

This is a rip-snortin' extra, even if itz . . .

Author: cricket crockett from Texas
5 February 2013

. . . a little unbalanced. Though it is dealing with the CREATURE trilogy, the 39 1/2-minute piece devotes itz first 26 minutes to the first movie in the set, THE CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON. The next 8 1/2 minutes deal with the middle leg of the trilogy, REVENGE OF THE CREATURE. The final flick in the threesome, THE CREATURE WALKS AMONG US, merits only 2 minutes here (which is fitting, cuz it really sukz), with the remaining time given over to a set of credits unusually extensive for a DVD "extra." Apart from the panel of boy-minded "experts" drooling over what they perceive as symbolic intercourse between the Creature and Kay (Julie Adams) in the debut film, therez not too much to quibble about with this bonus feature. It brings back four cast members--both of the guys who wore the Creature suit, along with the heroines of the first two movies. This is a good selection, since this quartet drives these two entries in the horror sweepstakes. Speaking of sweeping, my main problem here is that they did not spend more time castigating Universal for the tacky-talky misfire that the final CREATURE film represents.

Great Documentary

Author: Michael_Elliott from Louisville, KY
20 October 2010

Back to the Black Lagoon: A Creature Chronicle (2000)

**** (out of 4)

Terrific documentary covering the making of Universal's CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON as well as its two sequels. This was originally released with that film's DVD release back in 2000 but what makes this one stand out so much from many of the others in the series is that many of the original cast members are on hand to discuss the making of the film. Julie Adams, Ricou Browning and Ben Chapman are all on hand discussing the making of the film and the stories told include stuff like accidents on the set, the original look of the monster and of course how many of the stunts were done. Bob Burns, Skal, Bob Furmanek and Paul Jensen are also on hand to discuss their thoughts on the film and we even get Lori Nelson discussing the sequel. I think having many of the original cast members was a big plus here but you can't really blame those earlier docs for not containing this since those films were made back in the 30s. Overall I think the documentary gives you a great idea of what all happened while making the film and certain decisions that were made in regards to the sequels. Another major plus is hearing from those who actually saw the film in its original release. Hearing their stories of seeing it in 3D was great but also hearing about the hidden sexuality in the film was another interesting thing.