IMDb > "The Mole" (2001/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"The Mole" More at IMDbPro »

The Best Reality Show

Author: Jerry Smith from USA
11 June 2002

The Mole is definitely the best reality show yet. The show is very fast paced and keeps you guessing who the mole is and who you think is going to win. It is very good and I hope they don't give the following seasons of the shows the dreadful ax.

Overall the show is very cool and I highly recommend it. Rating **** out of ****. (Favorite Reality Show)

Who is the Mole? I can't wait to find out.

Author: Christopher Martin (CMartin) from Auburn, Maine
27 February 2001

The Mole. Throughout history, moles have been used successfully to worm their way into empires, nations and dynasties... only to cause dissention, mistrust, and paranoia. What a great idea for a TV Series.

The hype that is "Survivor" is mixed with the format of MTV's "Road Rules". Take 10 strangers, 9 real contestants and 1 that is working for the producers. In the end, one person will win the money, one person will be "executed", and one will be unmasked as "The Mole".

I tuned into this fantastic series about 1/3 the way through, and I've been hooked. Every time I think I have the Mole figured out, That person gets executed. And it makes for great "reality TV". Unlike Survivor, where everyone is backstabbing each other, "The Mole" is sabotaging the "tests" and the other players know it. The amount of paranoia is great. Who can you trust, when the mole is out to get you?

A fantastic series, and I hope and pray It's picked up for another season.

Good Show

Author: Spawn Devil from Vancouver, B.C.
1 July 2002

Honestly, I love this show. I think this show is better than Survivor and Temptation Island. The thing I like about it is that people don't vote other people off, I find that stupid. They must take a test everyday to see who stays and who goes. If your the person who gets the most questions wrong, your outta there. The challenges are instreasting to watch to. I hope they make a lot of seasons because I'm getting tired of Survivor!

Here's hoping there will be a third "Mole"

Author: The Fox-2 from southern California
18 August 2002

I quite enjoyed "The Mole" the first time it was on TV, and eagerly looked forward to watching "The Mole 2." After a rocky start in which ABC pulled it from their primetime schedule late in 2001, before all the episodes had aired, they started it up again with a better timeslot (Tuesday evenings) and I'm glad that they did.

I'm not a huge fan of the "reality" genre. About the only "reality"-type shows I watch are "Survivor" and "The Mole." I actually prefer "The Mole" to "Survivor" (don't get me wrong; I LOVE "Survivor") because of the cerebral aspect of it. The games are interactive; you find yourself in the place of the contestants, trying alongside them to solve the various riddles that they are presented with, and trying to analyze fellow players' actions, wondering "Who is the Mole, and how can I get other people to think that I am?" With the exception of just a couple of games (the "fashion sense" game comes to mind), most of the games and challenges don't involve having the players stoop to the lowest common denominator to earn money for the pot.

When players are eliminated from "The Mole," it's not so because the rest of the players found them unpopular or too much of a threat. If you haven't been paying attention to the clues or haven't sorted fact from fiction, then you effectively eliminate yourself if you score the lowest on the execution quiz. "The Mole" isn't a popularity contest that can be sabotaged easily by overzealous fans (remember Brittany from the first "Big Brother"?) or vengeful losers; the best player does indeed win.

Another thing that I found so appealing about "The Mole" was how much more affable and interactive host Anderson Cooper was with the contestants. Cooper isn't just your aloof host that shows up only for challenges and elimination rounds. Cooper has a wicked sense of humor that manifests itself often during the games. He also joins the contestants for dinner, which further humanizes him. One of the most memorable moments of the second season came when contestant Rob, a magician, showed Cooper a card trick. Right after Rob revealed the outcome of the trick, Cooper immediately slugged him playfully in the arm. Imagine Rich Hatch trying to pull something like that with Jeff Probst on Pulau Tiga!

Because "The Mole" hasn't racked up the same kinds of ratings that "Survivor" or even "American Idol," a lot of people are quick to count it out for another go-round. I certainly hope not. Apparently, the ratings for "The Mole 2" were high enough for ABC to consider yet another installment. If that's the case, I hope to try out for it, because it's the only "reality" show that I would ever consider being on. If ABC decides not to bring it back for a third installment, it'll be a crying shame. In this age of trashy soap operas and lowbrow humor, "The Mole" is a shot of fresh air that most anyone could benefit from.

The most intelligent reality show on TV

Author: Jason Kurylo (stodmyk) from Vancouver, BC
20 October 2001

The Mole has been the only reality show to engage me in any way, shape or form. Unlike the sheer idiocy of Survivor - "eww, they had to drink *bloo-o-o-od*!" - The Mole actually tries to use both the contestants' and viewers' *brains*. And that, unfortunately, will probably be the show's downfall. The average viewer doesn't want to have their mind working on a Friday night. Case in point: the insane success of such cerebral teasers as 90210 and Melrose. ABC has taken chances on smart shows before. Max Headroom and The Dennis Miller Show enjoyed shortlived runs on the network before being yanked by those who think ratings rule over all else. I'm not surprised to see The Mole II: the Next Betrayal canceled midseason, even though it's easily the most entertaining and intelligent show on ABC's roster. The American people just won't have smarts in their TV, unless it's Frasier taking a twice-per-episode shot at just how inane are the cultured. Great show, and like all things great, it lived all too brief a life.

Hands down the best show on television.

Author: Spencer Barnes (isoapprove@pacbell.net) from Los Angeles, CA
13 July 2002

The Mole is an exciting game of chance and suspense. A group of 14 people are taken to a very picturesque location in Europe, however one of the group is a special agent, a mole, hired by the show to prevent the group from gaining money. Each week the players compete in games to win money for the group, while being constantly vigilant for signs of sabotage from the mole. At the end of each episode the players must answer a ten question quiz as to the identity of the mole. The player who scores the lowest on this quiz is executed and must leave the show immediately.

Although it is not as good as the first installment of the mole, it is exciting because it is the only reality show that makes you think. The viewers can play along to try to find the identity of the mole. It is easily the most fun and exciting show to watch on television and I would not miss a week of it for anything.

Fun reality show

Author: SnoopyStyle
18 September 2013

This was a fun reality series, and it was very engaging. You would also be thinking about the show rather just watching it. The game is a competition between the contestants to solve puzzles, complete tasks, and build the cash prize. The difference is one contestant is a mole or fake contestant planted there to sabotage the game.

Week after week the contestants take a test to see who knows the mole the least. And as an audience, we're engage along with the contestant. That is the big draw. A big related problem is that creative editing always muddy the show and makes the mole very hard to guess. At some point, you feel very manipulated.

The other thing is it introduced us to Anderson Cooper. It's too bad they haven't made another one since 2008.

Reality Perfection

Author: yoright from United States
11 January 2010

Quite simply the best reality show ever made. The first two seasons (the only ones that matter) are on Hulu. I challenge anyone to watch the first three episodes of season 1 and not like it. I guarantee you will finish watching the season. Then I guarantee that you will watch season 2.

Other quick reasons to watch it: 1. Anderson Cooper is hilarious 2. The locations in Europe are awesome 3. The games are mentally challenging 4. It's very interactive 5. In one episode a player responds to another player's desperate, "I'm trying as hard as I can!" with an equally desperate, "Not necessarily."

Can you figure out...Who Is The Mole?

Best Reality Show Ever

Author: brad_317 from Canada
13 September 2007

Honestly, this is the best reality show anyone has ever come up with. In order to win the money you have to actually be INTELLIGENT. Not only that you've got to be brave, athletic, cunning, etc. It actually requires skill. Not like some lame-ass shows that are on these days. And yet, they only have two seasons of it! Bull..they need to bring this show back!!

Although, they'll have a hard time pulling Anderson Cooper away from CNN. He was great.

But seriously, it was an amazing show. You never knew who would be going when. And it was so much fun trying to figure out the mole yourself! It was a show you could actually play yourself if you wanted to!

BRING BACK THE MOLE!!!! BRING BACK THE MOLE!!!!

hahaha, we thought of it!!

Author: jebus-sokje from Leuven, Belgium
28 April 2005

OK, I'm so happy this show made it out of Belgian borders where it was created. When aired in Belgium, everybody watched it, it was the first time the general public in Belgium came in contact with reality TV. You can feel the brilliance of Bart de Pauw, and amazing actor and writer, drip of the screen.

The diversity of the tasks, the backstabbing, the suspense, the host, the choice of players, all was equally brilliant.

I haven't seen the American version, but if it comes even close to the Belgian version, it will be the best reality show ever.

Best Reality Show ever, and I've seen many.