IMDb > Our Lips Are Sealed (2000) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Our Lips Are Sealed

Our Lips Are Sealed More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

The movie that started it all. . .

Author: Zalis ( from Somewhere in the W.P.P.
26 February 2002

I had known who Mary-Kate & Ashley were since the Full house days. . .I knew they had some videos and movies, but when I saw this film on Fox Family in November, I decided that their movies were worth a look. After seeing a few, "Our Lips are Sealed" remains one of the better ones. It's got some action, some decent lines, and an endearing "clean" quality to it. You see, I'm a 20 year old male, and I've seen my share of sexy & violent movies. It's nice to see that some people still want to make G-rated movies. However, it's not exactly a "great" movie. . .if you're older than the twins, there's several "eye-roller" moments, and there's not a whole lot of effort to differentiate the girls. If you are a MK & A fan, I'd recommend the DVD, because it has commentary from the girls and other cool features.

i liked it!

Author: SpookyPie88 from United Kingdom
10 August 2003

As far as olsen films go, this one was really good. The film wasnt 100% about the girls and did well because of it. The acting was good in this film and the plot, though weak, was very entertaining. The twins excel in this film and deliver very charming, likable performances. They should definatly do more films like this one.

The actors who really make this film worth watching though, are those who play the two crooks after the girls. They are hilarious! It is really refreshing in an olsen film for someone else to get the good lines.

Apart from that the girls also didnt kiss a boy *gasp*, they didnt go shopping and they didnt use any of their silly teenage lines. They also didnt seem to be as full of themselves as they usually come across as on screen which really helped this film. All round this is a cute film, with cute characters and a cute plot. It may not be the best film ever made but its still very enjoyable and can be very funny at times.I recommend it for kids and any Olsen fans!

Beautiful, just beautiful.

Author: ihurtmywidgie from United States
8 July 2011

After taking the time out my busy schedule to check out some of the reviews for my all-time favorite movie, I was utterly shocked and upset to find that it had such a low rating! This is a flawlessly produced movie consisting of love, heartbreak, horror, action, and dancing. I can't think of any other movie that contains all of these elements that also keeps the audience entertained throughout the entire movie. It was a truly original story where two sisters along with their family are put into the witness protection program after gunning down a criminal with a bottle of ketchup (LOL!) I thought it was very realistic how the girls kept blabbing about why they had moved to all the different towns. Who can count on teenage girls to keep a secret anyway? Their representation of Australia seemed very accurate and it really makes me want to visit there! They all seem so friendly! Except for that retched Victoria! If I ever see her, I'll sure give her a piece of my mind! My favorite part of the movie was during the surf war! It was exciting, definitely a nail-biter. I love when the boy hurts his widgie. It's hard to tell what he is referring to his widgie at first but then I realized what he meant. That is one of my favorite lines of any movie if you couldn't tell by my user-name! Overall, this is an excellent film. Perfectly scripted, and amazing in every way. I recommend it to EVERYONE!!

Author: miss-marissa-xox from United Kingdom
5 June 2008

Oh my days. I felt like gouging my eyeballs out and attacking the person who inflicted this movie on me. It takes Mary-Kate and Ashley to an all time low. Heres why:

1. What is with all of the Australian stereotypes? 'Subtitles please.' They wouldn't need subtitles if they had had the poor Australians talking like they usually do! Oh and the kangaroo pet. Isn't that illegal? Now i cant really speak for everyone but I'm sure at like 15 most people know what a boomerang is!

'Dude your frisbee is broken' DUDE SHUT UP!

2. Why, after the first time they had to move did they not shut the hell up?! Oh come on. If my family were at risk i would learn to shut up - it's not that hard.

3. Emmil Hatchu or whatever the 'bad guys' name was. What was with him?! He just generally annoyed me. He needed to get back to that Urugli place of his.

4. The twins end up living in a B&B (that's dead popular and has what two guests the whole time the film is dragging on). So where the hell did they get the equipment to make that dodgy trap thing that inflicted Victoria to a lot of humiliation. I mean she got covered in feathers for goodness sake?!

5. They go to that theme park + somehow happen to ride a roller-coaster with no-one actually controlling it. They should be still on that ride NOW. Or dead. Im not sure.

6. There were bits that I'm guessing were supposed to be funny and turn this movie into a light-hearted comedy. But the thing was: no matter how hard those bits tried to be funny, they weren't. I got more laughs out of laughing at that cancer-stick-obsessed mum of theirs whose mouth was like the Mersey Tunnel.

7. Those two robber guys at the start, you know, the ones who knicked the diamond in the first place? Yeah those guys. Errm, why the hell did a minute squirt of ketchup manage to knock him down? I know it's supposed to be funny. But its not. Maybe I'm too old for this film, but hey I'm only 15. And when i first watched it i was like 10 and i didn't find it funny then.

Enough said.

Author: Butterworthp from Leicester, england
22 January 2003

This movie was not the greatest olsen movie which happens to be it takes two but that just my opinion but anyway this move seemed dry at times with nothing much happeing at all i would have thought they would of had the bad guys on there back a bit more but instead they were doing the usual stuff like hooking up with cute guys and getting into a popular crowd of people but at this point in there careers thay are starting to grow up. I would give this 6 out of 10

Author: James Hitchcock from Tunbridge Wells, England
28 September 2015

When I first heard the expression "Mary, Kate and Ashley Olsen" I assumed it referred to three people rather than two; I had some vague idea that Mary and Kate were twin sisters and Ashley their brother. My error was, in fact, corrected pretty quickly. I had, of course, failed to reckon with two aspects of the American naming system which generally strike us Brits as a bit eccentric, their fondness for hyphenated Christian names and for converting perfectly good male names into female ones. So "Mary-Kate" turned out to be one person rather than two and "Ashley" a girl rather than a boy.

You couldn't go anywhere in the late 1990s or early 2000s without coming across some reference to the Olsen Twins. They quickly became a major element of the popular culture of the period. Every month seemed to bring some new film or television programme featuring them, although their dominance was to be a fairly brief one. They retired from acting in 2004 when they were only eighteen. They have, however, remained in the public eye because of their new career as fashion designers and their younger sister Elizabeth has now become an actress in her own right.

In "Our Lips Are Sealed", made when they were fourteen, the twins play Maddie and Abby Parker, twin sisters who witness a jewel robbery in which the priceless Kneel Diamond (Neil Diamond, geddit?) is stolen. Their evidence is vital in getting the robber convicted, but as the man's uncle is a notorious gangster from the Eastern European nation of Urugli (You're ugly, geddit?) the girls and their family are placed in the FBI's Witness Protection Programme. Unfortunately, Maddie and Abby's lips are far from sealed. They are such blabbermouths that they keep on revealing the family's secret, with the result that the FBI have to keep moving them until they end up in Sydney, Australia. The rest of the film deals with the girls' attempts to fit into their new school, a surfing contest and their outwitting of the two assassins who have been sent by the gangster to hunt them down.

The film's attempts at verbal humour are pretty crude; besides the examples quoted above the notorious Uruglian gangster has the surname Hatchew, which leads to endless "Bless you!" jokes. (Atchoo, geddit?) American preconceptions about Australia (which seem to be much the same as British ones) are another fertile source of humour. Apparently all Australians spend most of their time on the beach, love surfing, keep a kangaroo as a pet and live on a staple diet of Vegemite. They also speak a bizarre and incomprehensible dialect, although some of the words which baffle Maddie and Abby (such as "jumper" for "sweater") are also in common usage in Britain. Oh, and all Aussie girls are called Sheila. (I think we in Britain stopped telling that joke some time in the seventies. There was a related joke about all Aussie men being called Bruce).

A comedy which relies upon bad puns and ethnic stereotypes to get laughs does not seem very promising, but actually I ended up rather enjoying "Our Lips Are Sealed", even though I am (and was even in 2000) far from being a member of the demographic at which the film was clearly aimed. The reason is that the Olsen girls were such natural little performers. Their screen persona was that of smart, sassy youngsters who are always one step ahead of everyone else, be it their parents, the bad guys or the so-called "popular girl" at their new school. (The film transfers to Australia the standard American cliché that every high school is dominated by a bitchy, snobbish clique of "popular girls" whose popularity owes everything to their good looks and their families' wealth and nothing to their personalities, which are invariably obnoxious). They frequently break the "fourth wall" to speak direct to camera, and it is not always clear whether they are doing so as the Parker sisters or as the Olsen sisters.

It is easy to understand why the twins' acting career did not survive their entry into womanhood; they had become too closely identified with childhood and adolescence for anyone to envisage them as adult performers. Other former child stars, notably Shirley Temple, have fallen into the trap of trying to extend their careers past their sell- by date, so Mary-Kate and Ashley were perhaps wise to move into new ventures. This film, however, reveals how entertaining they could be in their heyday. 6/10

Author: san_wendi from London, England
18 May 2002

i didn't like this film, i thought it was very disappointing. After the fun of passport to paris, i thought our lips are sealed would have a much better plot. However talking to the screen for the whole movie as though they were deciding (whilst making the movie) what should happen next was not cool. The film lacked any real depth, and the subplot about the girls trying to fit in was poorly executed. On a positive side the acting was better than some other olsen twin films, although until they move away from the fluffy movies of travelling around the world to meet boys (in the pretense of a more significant plotline), their movies remain stooped in the "tween girl" market.

An Australian Adventure

Author: Desertman84 from United States
17 July 2015

The Olsen Twins once again are involved in a film that only their fans would appreciate in Our Lips Are Sealed.

They play Maddy and Abby - twin sisters that accidentally witnessed a crime and have been placed in an FBI Witness Protection Program.Despite of it,they still could not keep a secret that the FBI decide to send them to Australia wherein the gangster involved in the crime soon discover them.

As always,this movie is the same clichéd,predictable and unfunny.Also,it requires little thinking especially for adult viewers.As always,we see the Olsen Twins characters being boy crazy and dim-witted as well.

I'm Aussie and I hate this movie

Author: Liana897 from Australia
22 September 2013

Okay, so the beginning of the movie was okay, until they got to Australia. I can see every Australian cringing at this movie in total embarrassment. I was embarrassed watching this movie. The only good thing about this movie is that it was filmed at my school!! Also Aubrey and Pete were hot.

6 things wrong with this movie: 1.We DO NOT speak like that. At All. I don't even know half the stuff they said. I hate these stereotypes imposed on us aussies. It disgusting. 2.On top of the stupid slang, we do not speak with those accents. I cringe every time I hear them speak. I feel bad for the Aussie actors who had to speak like that. 3.There is no one called Sheila in Australia. Its a weird name and I know no one called Sheila. Sheila actually means woman. Why would anyone be called that? It's like American's calling girls Shawty. 4.The "vegemite" that one of the twins was eating was clearly NOT vegemite. That was obviously nutella. 5.We do not spend every living second on the beach and there are certainly no groups who think they own the beach. That's just stupid 6.We do not have kangaroos as pets zoo. 7.No one plays with boomerangs either. And no one can throw it anyway.

Cute and Funny but Cheesy

Author: KatherinePetersdorf from Washington, USA
30 June 2013

I liked it, it was a good movie with tons of laughs, however it wasn't a great movie.

Positives of the Movie The Movie Had an Interesting Plot Line (The Witness Protection Part) It was Funny The Cute Boys The Fun Filming Location The Great Clothing

Negatives for the Movie -The item stolen -The Country the bad guys came from

The movie was a little bit cheesy. Kind of like when they talked to the audience and froze time.

I would still say to people that they should watch it, especially if they are very young.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]