The Hunted (2003) Poster

(2003)

No Middle Ground
Terence Allen1 July 2004
This is one of those movies that people will either love or hate. It has it's flaws for sure, but this movie speaks to primitive, macho mano-a-mano movie lovers.

How realistic the knife fights are in this movie remains to be seen, although kali, the martial art used as the base for the fight scenes, is a powerful fighting style. But they are exciting to watch, and both Jones and del Toro inhabit their characters with enough gusto and panache that the movie can be very enjoyable to watch.

It definitely won't be everyone's cup of tea, but the Hunted will make lots of action movie and martial arts movie fans pleased and satisfied.
59 out of 76 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Not bad, but not great
Bozo9 May 2008
Some movies are made just for action, some just for story.

Unfortunately, the Hunted doesn't seem to fit either category.

There is not much depth to the story here, although they try hard to make it seem that way.

Simply: A killing machine is on the loose, so they send the guy who trained him to get him. No side story needed to forward the plot.

Tommy Lee Jones gives a decent performance as L.T. Bonham, the "hunter". Nothing spectacular, but not bad either.

Benicio del Toro gives a good performance as Aarom Hallam, the killing machine who does not give much purpose as to why he IS a killing machine.

Connie Nielsen and Jose Zuniga are OK as FBI agents Durrell and Moret.

There were some great action scenes, and a few interesting moments. I wouldn't call them extraordinary though.

Over all: OK movie. Watch if you have nothing better to do.

14 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
let me explain the low scoring reviews
p suddeth12 February 2012
Here are several reasons for the low scoring reviews, for those of you who thought it was terrific. Watch again and tell me that any one of these is incorrect (NOTE. I'd warn about possible spoilers, but if you're actually thinking about what you're watching, you'll see the following plot elements coming).

The repetitive chase (hunt, find, fight, escape, hunt,find,fight,escape, huntfindfightescape) leaves little room for character development, e.g. what was it ABOUT his war experience that made Hallam decide to kill irreverent sport hunters? Do he and Bonham feel a father/son bond for each other, and if so when and why did that come about?

The sloppy digital effects (Tommy Lee's flailing torso spliced into the waterfall, flashes of Benicio's face spliced onto the fountain's cascade, as if he were in the cavity behind it.

Really? You're going to stop in the middle of the chase to forge a knife from scrap iron? Really??? You know how long that would take, and how noisy? So Bonham doesn't like guns, he's gonna knap one from flint rather than ask an agent for a combat knife? In the middle of a pursuit? REALLY????

The battlefield Kosovo set looked like a cross between Disneyland and Colonel Kurtz' most apocalyptic delusional nightmare. Too many pretty explosions, overstuffed setting, too populated by extras (who don't even react to the pretty explosions occurring feet away), too designed and manufactured looking, etc.

Yes ,the knife fight scenes were well choreographed, bloody, and inventive, with nice portrayals of effort and gravity (no wire work or movieland physics), but they needed to be cut more tightly. The way aging Tommy Lee broadcast his moves, Benicio would have filleted him like a fish, nine ways to Sunday.

If there's a deeper message to the film (Show some respect for the beings you kill, Honor thy Fatherfigure, whatever) it's trampled as badly by the pursuit as the ground is by the set dresser making blatantly overdone footprints for Tommy to "track".

I'd add more but this film's hardly worth it.
25 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Hey, this is a good movie.
artzau27 March 2005
Hey, out there. You guys who slammed this in your reviews, did you see the same film I did? Not real? Improbable? Impossible? Huh. If those of you who found this thought-provoking film about two men on the edge of the social plane, one who is over the edge and the other given the task of hunting the first one down-- both men, socially disaffected and on their own, unbelievable and impossible, give some attention to Alston Chase's article in the June, 200, pp.41-65 of the Atlantic Monthly on Theodore Kaczynski, the Unabomber and the effects of his experiences being part of the ill-conceived and unethical study on human subjects during his undergraduate years there. The formula is simple: Take a bright, talented person who is teetering on the edge of emotional stability, fill them with lots of head stuff about social and environmental corruption, train in the technology of killing people and then, turn them loose. While no one wanted to turn Kaczynski into the unabomber, the circumstances, however well-intended, did. The film story of Aaron Hallum played by the competent Benicio Del Toro and his counterpart, L.T. Bonham, played by Tommy Lee Jones, bring this theme into clear focus. OK, if you are a shoot'em up thriller fan (as I self-confessedly admit to being), you might have missed the car chase, the sex and all that, but gang, it is a gripping and thought-provoking story. Not real? I submit, read the data on Columbine, The Minn Indian Res and the Unabomber and guess again. It's real. Damn real.
86 out of 133 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I Don't Get the Low Score Here
savanna-28 January 2005
How could they have made this story better. There wasn't a need for more dialog or love story and the fight scenes were amazingly well done. Tommy Lee Jones and Benicio Del Toro played expertly off one another. I didn't flash onto another film when I was watching this. I was surprised to read a comparison to Rambo. What? How is that even possible. Other than the military theme (which is rather minimal in this film, since Aaron could have easily been CIA, etc.) and people being killed, what is the connection?

While Rambo is gory and violent and rather gratuitous, The Hunted is none of these. The worst we get with the "killings" are a few glimpses of *photos* if the hunters killed at the beginning of the film. I guess this is a thinking man's action film and for those that don't want to think, they will be quick to put it down.
92 out of 145 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
completely enjoyable - does not deserve the negative feedback
clint-609-30303016 December 2009
I too don't understand the negative comments here. The Hunted is a great action flick. It features great leads from Tommy Lee Jones (as you would expect) and Benicio Del Toro (my first film experience with him, I thought he added an amazing presence to his character) plus good support from the surrounding cast. The film has some amazing locations and scenery and was very well paced. The fight and actions scenes were excellent with some decent gore thrown in where necessary. My only nit pick was I felt it could have been a little longer in duration. Ignore the bad press on The Hunted. I just don't understand how you can't enjoy this film - that simple! Oh,..and doesn't Tommy Lee Jones really suit the beard.
20 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Huge Disappointment
evs66623 February 2004
When you see a movie with Benicio Del Toro and Tommy Lee Jones on the front, you expect a half decent movie. To be honest, I'm shocked Benicio agreed to such a half assed project.

The plot is thin at best, and gets thinner throughout the movie. There's no real explanation given for the characters actions. Relationships between characters are non existant, and it's hard to see why they bothered casting anyone but Jones and Del Toro since all the other characters are without direction or purpose.

In the end we come to a predictable outcome and with very little idea why any of this happened.

********Minor Spoilers************

"guy goes to war. guy sees bad stuff. guy wakes up in middle of night. guy starts killing randomly" is not adequate explanation. the movie required a lot more detail surrounding del toros descent into madness. flashbacks of things that happened between the time of him returning and the killings in the woods would have helped, or some more development on his dreams.
20 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Excellent for fans of the genre and thought-provoking for others who'll give it a chance
Brandt Sponseller14 February 2005
Aaron Hallam (Benicio Del Toro) is a special ops guy in the military who has been trained by one of the best--L.T. Bonham (Tommy Lee Jones). Hallam is routinely ordered to execute strategic figures, and he probably doesn't often know why. Sometimes he has to do his work in the midst of chaos, and sometimes he has to take out people who get in the way. After a brief prologue establishing Hallam's character in the middle of the Bosnian conflict, The Hunted has him back in the States, trying to reintegrate with society. When Hallam can't do it, L.T. is sent for to track him down.

The Hunted is an action/chase film in the tradition of The Fugitive (1993). Thematically, it is much closer to First Blood (aka Rambo) (1982), but it doesn't have the firepower of that film (to its benefit, the emphasis here is on brutal hand-to-hand combat). On the surface, at least, the plot is an excuse for the chase and encounter scenes between Hallam and Bonham. If you're a fan of action and fighting films, this may be right up your alley, although there is more to be gained than the surface qualities.

Director William Friedkin and the cast are able to create fairly complex characters in Hallam and Bonham through subtle means while the action material is occurring, through well-placed flashbacks, and through two significant, slower scenes that give us a momentary breather. But as much as Del Toro and Jones, the stars of the film are the staging of the chases, the staging of the fights, and the spectacular stunt work. Del Toro and Jones seem to have done more stunt work than is the norm, with Del Toro actually breaking his wrist at one point and halting the production of the film until it healed.

Friedkin and editor Augie Hess deserve a lot of credit, as action scenes like these can frequently become muddled. It's always perfectly clear what one location's relationship is to the next location, what and why characters are doing what they're doing, and just what is occurring in the fight scenes--who is injuring who and how. Friedkin never falls back on fast cuts, blurry shots or speed control tricks to mask these scenes. The Hunted is also effective for retaining more realism than is the norm for contemporary action films--not that I ever subtract points for a lack of realism, but the realism is novel here and in context, works perfectly. Friedkin's choice of Johnny Cash songs for the opening and closing of the film was also inspired, as were the beautiful locations.

Of course, there's also a more political subtext here--namely that we officially train persons to be fearless killers without a conscience and stick them into the middle of crazy situations, often for extended periods of time, then later expect them to be able to "turn it off" and meld back into society with all of its more mundane norms and mores. The film asks who is really responsible for the later behavior of these persons. The Hunter is also admirable for bringing up these issues, but not providing definite, curt answers. On this end it's not just an action film, but a film to provoke serious thought and discussion.
59 out of 90 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Better Lost Than Found!
bob_bear13 May 2006
For those who don't get the negative comments, I am equally confused by the positive ones, believe me.

Take the "deep and meaningful" subtext about the consequences of training people to kill? Oh, puh-leeze...give me a break!! Replace "deep and meaningful" with "hokey and obvious" and you might just come somewhere close. And all that "Kill me a son..." BS? Ooh, ya, throw in some Scripture, that gives it substance - NOT!

No idea why a talent like Tommy Lee Jones effectively opted for "The Fugitive" mark two. Money must've been good I guess. Otherwise, the pacing is dreadful. One note throughout. He hunts, he finds, he loses, he hunts, he finds, he loses...on and on and...

The death of the secondary lead FBI agents was totally predictable. Like, what was the Chief even doing going down underground??? And like you really would pursue a "killing machine" through unfamiliar and unlit tunnels solo...I don't think.

But it's the way TL tracks the fugitive that is most unconvincing. Fact is, he doesn't. He just turns around and he's "there" more than half the time. Too many coincidences. Too many unexplained sightings.

You'll have plenty of reason to give up the ghost long before Tommy Lee, trust me.
33 out of 52 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Short, Intense, Fun To Watch
ccthemovieman-119 March 2006
Three facts about this film help to make it highly-rated in my book: it's very entertaining, moves fast and lasts only 90 minutes. So, if in the mood for a combination Fugitive/Rambo story with two very intense lead actors, this is a convenient diversion to play numerous times.

Tommy Lee Jones was the mentor who trained Benico Del Toro on the art of killing and now the ex-student has gone out of control and Jones must hunt him down, something the police can't seem to do. That's the story, simple as that. The only thing was a little implausible is that old man chasing down a kid for miles. Tommy Lee might be in shape, but he isn't young enough to do what he does here. However, both men are fun to watch and the action scenes are well done. You don't get bored watching this movie.

No, the film isn't high-grade mentality but it isn't totally stupid, either. It doesn't get carried and is pretty believable until the final chase scene. Along the way, we are treated the Portland cityscape and Northwest woods, both of which are nicely filmed.
33 out of 52 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Underrated, Straight Forward yet Emotionally Complex
supercygnus19 April 2005
Although it would be easy to write The Hunted off as a simple chase film (I can see the pitch now: "It's First Blood married to Predator with a dose of The Fugitive", and in reality that is a pretty fair description) but it's straight forward manner lends a constant sense of urgency. Throughout this gory (yeah it's pretty graphic) cat and mouse thriller we are also given some real insight into Del Toro's character. Unwilling to make sweeping judgments about nearly any of the characters (Connie Nielsen's FBI agent is a bit stubborn and single minded and occasionally very careless in discharging her firearm in public, Tommy Lee Jones'survivalist trainer has a guilty conscious of his own and even Del Toro's transformation is understandable), the finale is exciting but emotionally complicated, even tragic. The camera work and editing are very effective and affective while not overwhelming the finished product with the typical Hollywood style over substance dilemma. Combined with some very strong performances by the leads THE HUNTED makes for a very intense and satisfying thriller experience.
28 out of 44 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Watchable, but evaporates completely after viewing
Wizard-820 September 2003
The movie is pretty well-produced overall, though there are a couple of glaring editing goof-ups (the knife being dunked into water, for example.) And the fact that it's clear Jones and Del Toro are doing much of their own stuntwork in the fighting sequences (and other places) is pretty impressive.

However, there is really nothing of substance here that will make you remember the movie long after you've seen it. While the action gets bloody at times, the actual struggling around is only okay at best. The Jones and Del Toro characters are thin, with little background revealed about them, and they don't have that much dialogue. There are some interesting themes that start to peek out, but they are simply not expanded on. (Like: Why didn't Jones' character answer those letters he got? You have to hear the explanation from director Friedkin on one of the DVD documentaries!) Ultimately, the movie becomes a simple-minded action movie, of the mentality of many direct-to-video movies.

A P.S. to Hollywood filmmakers: If it is heavily snowing in British Columbia, it is HIGHLY UNLIKELY that at the same time it would be sunny and warm in Oregon! The weather patterns in both places are more or less the same!
34 out of 56 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The fried kin of Rambo.
wlpeak15 March 2003
True to his action thriller credentials even when Friedkin flops it's more a train wreck than a dud.

Poor acting from great actors, terrible plotting & scene transitions, an inevitable car chase more an embarrassment to the genre than an homage to his former mastery, what else... well let's start from the beginning.

Supposedly set in a Kosovo village, we open with a scene, for all it's over-done pyrotechnics, more reminiscent of an oil refinery disaster than ethnic cleansing massacre, proving that Friedkin has no immunity to the plague of CGI overkill. The Serbians evil-doers are so poorly directed, that they fail to take even the simplest of precautions during explosions and bombings preferring instead it seems to just keep maniacally slaying the odd clump of villagers made up mothers and clean, cute, little girls, shot in multiple close-up vignettes lest we idiots in the back row fail to notice the pathos.

Del Toro's Hallem is somehow, not shown, pushed over the edge by this, or something. Anyway, we end up years later in a forest where he goes after some hunters with a knife displaying ghost-like skill missing later in the movie. The hunters seem to know that they are to be hunted and react to hearing a disembodied voice in the woods by turning their guns in his direction. Or maybe they were just really paranoid? I dunno. So they die and in comes Jones' Bonham, a back woods tracker who happens to also be Hallem's old combat/survival trainer from long ago. Okie dokie. Of course the FBI have to defer to Bonham and let him 'track' Hallem all over the woods and through Portland as well giving us the framework of the flick.

Jone's looks old and tired in this movie and I never once believed he was up to the numerous combats he has with Del Torro, but he also delivers his lines in a clipped unconvincing fashion. Speaking of bad acting, Del Torro seems to put little thought into his delivery or character. What to make of these two fine actors slumming through this movie?

The knife fighting was fun and mainly well done and the forest scenery was pretty, but we would have done just as well with Stallone and Richard Crenna reprising their original roles, and sadly, Kotcheff too.
16 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Hollywood at it's Worst !!!
eccentricgreen3 July 2014
This movie must of been written by 12 year boys for 12 year old boys. That's the only audience that could possibly believe this crock. One ridiculous scene after another. The wolf scene in the beginning of the movie was ignorant at best. This is the kind of irresponsible filmmaking that gets people in trouble in nature. The knife making scenes were unbelievable. Huge plot holes in the story and very predictable. Poor continuity during many of the scenes throughout the film. I just had to go out of my way to post a review on this movie so people won't waste their money. I can't believe Tommy Lee Jones stooped so low. What a Ho!
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
See it for what it is *possible spoilers*
Robbmonster7 June 2004
My posting a review of The Hunted is in direct contradiction of my beliefs about this film, but so is anyone reading it, so it's a moot point.

I saw The Hunted last night, a spontaneous hire at my local video store based on the premise, actors, director, and director of photography.

The Hunted smacks of The Fugitive, with vast echoes in the form of the presence of Tommy Lee Jones - who seems to be unofficially playing the same character - and a daring escape by the 'title' character, jumping from a high point to seeming certain death in the form of imposing water.

There are bountiful references to other films also. Predator, First Blood, and Apocalypse Now all spring to mind. Indeed, the film could be thought of as being a scenario on what might have happened to Capt. Willard from Apocalypse Now after he returned home after Viet Nam. Another connection is that The Hunted DP, Caleb Deschanel, served as insert DP on Apocalypse Now.

Early on, a payoff is set up when the filmmakers go to a small amount of trouble to show the audience that Tommy Lee Jones is afraid of heights. One of those moments where the viewer thinks 'that's gonna pay off later', it is never paid off, despite Jones being caught in some tall situations as the story progresses.

But I liked the film. Also worth noting is that I saw it having known absolutely nothing about it coming in. I have noticed a trend in my tastes where I seem to be drawn to films featuring deeply-flawed characters who nonetheless remain extremely capable. Think of John Anderton in Minority Report, Agent Sands in Once Upon a Time in Mexico, and even Hannibal Lecter in The Silence of the Lambs, and you begin to get the point. Well, The Hunted features two such characters, and they are in direct competition. I always liked films featuring worthy adversaries, and The Hunted rates highly in this department. The scenes in the city where Jones attempts to track del Toro play this well, with del Toro trained to vanish, stalked by Jones, trained to see.

The Hunted also features a subtle and effective score by Brian Tyler, and excellent photography by Caleb Deschanel, with more than a slight nod to the aforementioned Apocalypse Now. Jones is good, even if the audience does feel they have 'seen it all before' from Jones. But to his credit, Jones is very physical in his performance, and gives his all. Del Toro is also good, playing a character murky of motivation, and damaged of psyche.

In closing, I will say I see the film for the hugely derivative vehicle it is, but I liked it anyway, mostly because of the visuals and the physicality of the performances.

Not recommended, unless you can look past the similarities to other films. Or see it knowing nothing about it, like I did. But if you've read this, that is now impossible :)
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Benicio Del Toro as Rambo
rbverhoef19 January 2004
I had a pretty good time watching this movie, although it is not really good. Actually it is a movie I have already seen, only then it was called 'First Blood' starring Sylvester Stallone as Rambo. Not that both movies are exactly the same, even the atmosphere is very different, but the basics are the same.

Benicio Del Toro is Aaron Hallam, a guy who fought in Kosovo in 1999. Four years later, in the woods of Oregon, he starts to kill hunters because he does not approve their methods. His technique is learned to him by L.T. (Tommy Lee Jones) and he must be the one to find Aaron. In one scene L.T. explains why Aaron does this and it sounds pretty reasonable. From this point the movie is basically a chase. Two men chasing each other.

Like I said I had a good time. The story goes the way you would probably guess but it doesn't really matter. The images are always beautiful or interesting, there is suspense and the man to man fights look very good, especially the final one. Tommy Lee Jones, Benicio Del Toro and also Connie Nielsen as a FBI-agent make their characters believable. Not great, but definitely entertaining.
14 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Hollow actioner with no real depth
Bungle-92 April 2004
In terms of action, this film is competently made with enough good action (particularly the chase at the end and the fighting between Del Toro and Jones) to almost make you forgive the other problems. Friedkin has proven his worth with action before, but what he had to work with here could have been better developed.

In the writer's opinion, there are no characters in this film, only the basic sketches of people are there. One guy good, other guy bad. Bad guy goes killing people (for a reason that was presented but still obscure), good guy hired to get bad guy. Del Toro was really cheesy here, doing a lot of ponderous sky staring and stumbling over his lines and Tommy Lee Jones was...well, Tommy Lee Jones.

Overall, if you're looking for a throwaway actioner then this is for you. Don't expect it to be massively engaging though. Listen out for Johnny Cash at the start and end of the film.
11 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Another great Tommy Lee Jones movie with message!
Movie Nuttball17 September 2003
What a great movie The Hunted is! Tommy Lee Jones and Benicio Del Toro were excellent especially in their scenes together! Connie Nielson was good. I was so amazed by the fighting that they did! There is a lot of blood and slashing! People think it is like the Fugitive and First Blood but I really don't think so. Sure Its in the wilderness and Tommy Lee Jones said some things like Richard Crenna did in First Blood and his character trained Del Toro's character and Del Toro was being chased a lot but to Me it is a lot more than that! The scenes are spectacular! I don't think this movie deserves all of the bad comments it has gotten and I like Tommy Lee Jones' chase movies and I wouldn't mind to see him in another one! If you haven't see The Hunted and you like The above mentioned cast and action and chase films such as First Blood, The Fugitive, U.S. Marshals, and Double Jeopardy then this movie is perfect for you!

Movie Nuttball's note: This is totally in My opinion and may offend people but I wanted to get this out. I like the subject in the plot of the Hunted of a man that made a sport hunting humans! I am not a fan of hunting and I think it is very bad for a person to do such a thing. Like one point in the film Benicio Del Toro said "What if there was an animal higher than us on the food chain? And what if this suddenly lost all respect for us and started slaughtering us wholesale?" Think about that! Also I like what he said to the girl about the animals about people being mean to them and such about people on purpose hitting them with their car. I see this stuff on the street and I think boy, how would you like it if you were simply taking a walk and someone just hit you just for fun with their car? When he was talking about these things I almost cried! That's how good it is! I am an animal lover and I always been! Why can't others? I'm sorry to be like this but this is how I think and how I am. The Hunted is a great movie and intelligent! Thanks for reading!
10 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Cheap knock-off of past Hollywood blockbusters
Alex Sandell18 March 2003
If you've seen both First Blood and The Fugitive, you've already watched The Hunted. Aaron Hallam (Del Toro), who was awarded the Silver Star for his bravery shown while fighting in Kosovo, only 4 years earlier, is now on the outs with the military, isn't really trusting anybody, and was listed as Missing In Action and made a target by the Government that he used to work for. Now, poor Hallam, fearing both for his safety and sanity is out in the Portland woods, killing what appear to be deer hunters. Only, these deer hunters have military telescopes attached to their rifles - not exactly a necessity when it comes to snagging yourself a buck.

When L.T. Bonham (Jones) finds out that his former student, Aaron Hallam, is out in the woods eviscerating humans, he reluctantly agrees to hunt him down and bring him to justice.

When the two first confront one another in the woods, Hallam asks Bonham why he never answered the letters Hallam had sent him. It's obvious that the ex-soldier was teetering at the edge of reality, and Bonham was the only guy he felt that he could count on. Ironically, it turns out that Bonham is now the only person who can be counted on to kill the man he once taught how to murder quick, and get away even faster.

So, the chase is on ... and on ... and on, and then the film ends. It's honestly that simple. Of course there are the tired, "your men can't take him out ... only I can, because I was his ... teacher" type dialogue thrown in, presumably to make it seem even more like a gigantic First Blood rip-off than it already does.

Hallam's motives and Bonham's sense of guilt are both hinted at, but neither character is fully fleshed out. What could have been an excellent film, ends up being chopped and hacked into nothing more than a cheap knock-off of a couple of Hollywood movies that worked well at the box-office in the not-so-distant past.
12 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Bad beyond bold imagination
vostf19 August 2010
William Friedkin didn't make that many great movies after all. The Exorcist, The French Connection. I haven't seen his 60s movies but Sorcerer was just the bold but vain remake of a masterpiece.

It seems his earlier successes did hamper his talent or maybe he was an arrogant a-hole from the beginning. Watching his video interview of Fritz Lang, I was baffled by the way he demanded answers from the old man. OK Truffaut was a little too deferent and was also trying to capture some of the spotlight from Hitchcock, but he showed respect.

Now, without over-analyzing the director's profile, The Hunted is just a lifeless movie. Martial characters without emotions, without inner motivation, almost beasts running, hiding and fighting for the entire movie. In the meantime the settings change just to make believe something different happens, but it's just a bland meaningless hunt mingling characters we never care for.

What a waste of time, energy, etc.
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Rather Nasty Thriller
Theo Robertson29 January 2010
On the surface this seems a rather derivative film . Part RAMBO , part THE FUGITIVE but you're left with the feeling that THE HUNTED wants to go its own way . Unfortunately these bits seem to have ended up on an editing floor somewhere since the movie has a disjointed feel with important aspects like character motivation and empathy for the anti-hero missing . Actually these parts probably didn't make it past the final draft of the screenplay .In FIRST BLOOD you can the tough hand Rambo has been dealt . He turns up at the start looking for his old buddy from 'Nam only to find that he's died from cancer , possibly caused by agent orange . This leads to an inciting incident where an over zealous cop arrests him for vagrancy . Here everything is taken on face value . Aaron Hallum kills a couple of hunters because he thinks they're " sweepers " CIA spooks who want him out of the way because he knows too much . I guess this subplot is left ambiguous , after all you can't go around disemboweling hunters and hope the audience can have empathy for you , but all this is totally confusing and inserting scenes where Hallum is kind to a little girl is not groundbreaking . It's quite the reverse it's cliché

It's certainly a film of two halves . Neither of them very good . After we've had all the deep and meaningful read shallow and confusing character pieces . We then spend the second half of the movie going on a long chase sequence with Tommy Lee Jones black ops officer trying to track down Hallum . It's at this point you're aware who's good and who's bad and perhaps unforgivably who's going to get killed in the inevitable showdown at the end . Hallum has by this point become a homicidal psycho who not only kills pursuing police officers but offs at least one blue collar worker who just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time . So at this point the film has not only become predictable it has become unpleasant
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One baaaaad movie!
sgtfury0413 August 2005
As a former career soldier I was disgusted by the negative, B.S> stereotypes that this film fosters. From Jones lecture about the difficulty of "turning off the ability to kill" to the stereotype of the lonely, crazy, hermit of a combat vet to the ridiculously unrealistic combat scenes in the former Yugoslavia, this movie was pathetic in every way... remember the flashback scene where Del Toro remembers seeing a massacre where three idiots STAND IN A CIRCLE and then cut loose on full auto with their assault rifles? Hmmm... funny how the guy standing across from each of them never shot the goofball on the other side when it was on a stone floor! From beginning to end the script was FAR below the considerable abilities of both of the stars and I am pretty surprised that either of them took this feeble foppery on. As someone with familiarization with combat knife skills I know that a certain edged weapon expert was consulted for the film and this was its only saving grace. The bottom line is that a joke of a movie like this was far more in keeping with the tradition of Golan-Globus with Chuck Norris than legitimate attempts to show for one thing, the very real suffering that some combat vets go through when they leave the military, but NO, we do NOT run around like lunatics cutting people apart, shoot people from church towers, and especially Special Operations troopers are specially screened in depth for any proclivity at all towards psychological instability. Save your money and 2 hours of time that could otherwise be spent say, breathing or laughing at rap music than watching this stinker. The producers also owe an apology to combat vets everywhere.
9 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Awful
Lars Ramsgaard2 January 2006
This b-movie must be in my top-5 of bad movies. Bad acting. Bad story. How can Tommy L. J. put his good name to such a crap-movie? No humor at all. Rambo is classic. This film will hopefully soon be forgotten. A waste of time. Pathetic to watch the two main characters produce their weapons for the final fight. How bad can it get?? Could it be that T.L.J. has a contract to fulfill, with making a certain amount of movies? And then spending 1-2 days to shoot this? This review has to be at least 10 lines, but I have nothing more to say - yet I have to get this horrible experience out of my system, so please apologize for these last lines - but believe me, the film is more boring and uninteresting than these lines.
10 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
He's always hunting someone
TonysLittleFriend3 September 2004
The Hunted is a bloody good ride. Literally, this movie is violent. I was shocked to see that not many people liked this movie. It's like The Bourne Identity, only with more action, and A LOT MORE BLOOD!

Here's the story: In the green woods of Silver Falls, Oregon, Aaron Hallam, a trained assassin AWOL from the Special Forces, keeps his own brand of wildlife vigil. After brutally slaying four deer hunters in the area, FBI Special Agent Abby Durrell turns to L.T. Bonham-- the one man who may be able to stop him.

At first L.T. resists the mission. Snug in retirement, he's closed off to his past, the years he spent in the Special Forces training soldiers to become skilled murderers. But when he realizes that these recent playings are the work of a man he trained, he feels obligated to stop him.

Accepting the assignment under the condition that he works alone, L.T. enters the woods, unarmed--plagued by memories of his best student and riddled with guilt for not responding to Aaron's tortured letters to him as he began to slip over the edge of sanity.

Furious as he is with his former mentor for ignoring his pleas for help, Aaron knows that he and L.T. share a tragic bond that is unbreakable. And, even as they go into their final combat against each other, neither can say with certainty who is the hunted and who is the hunter.

The acting is so-so. Not very good actually, but it's still a enjoyable flick.

***/****