IMDb > "The Weakest Link" (2000) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"The Weakest Link" More at IMDbPro »

I Like It

Author: Theo Robertson from Isle Of Bute, Scotland
9 December 2002

This is quite a good quiz show . I know everyone mentions the camp nastiness of quiz mistress Anne Robinson and she does a good job of the quiz mistress from hell but the most enjoyable part of the show is laughing at the muppet contestants who show themselves to be intellectually challenged :

Robinson: Brian Cox played what notorious serial killer in Michael Mann`s 1986 film Manhunter ?

Muppet : Robert De Niro

Robinson : What is the national anthem of New Zealand ?

Another Muppet : Australia forever

I didn`t make up these two answers by the way , they`re both genuine . Makes me wonder if anyone has been turned down by the show for being too stupid , and believe it or not a complete half wit occasionally goes home with the money

The greatest game show ever

Author: Dan Grant (dan.grant@bell.ca) from Toronto, Ontario
21 August 2001

There are two reasons that Weakest Link is the greatest game show on television. One is Anne Robinson and the other is the fact that most of the questions are answerable by most most people. What makes it hard to do is the fact that you have very little time to think about your answer and if you screw up you can be voted off by your team members. Where as The Millionaire show is good, after about the $64,000 question, they get quite tough. In Weakest Link you can answer most of the questions most of the time. That gives the audience a sense that they could also be there and win the 60 or 80 thousand dollars. In the Millionaire show, unless you have a true knowledge of architecture, you would not know that I.M. Pei designed the rock and roll hall of fame. But you would know that "V" was the 80's mini series that had lizards trying to take over the world.

Anne is also the catalyst of the television show. I'm sure that most of her "Who's a couple cans short of a six pack" jibes are scripted for her before she goes on the air. But her ability to rip into the contestants is priceless. In one of the funnier episodes, she asks one contestant if he belongs to any organizations. He responds that he belongs to MENSA. What is that? she asks. He carefully responds that it is an organization for people that scored well on an I.Q. test. She asks him if he has to pay to be a part of that organization. He says yes. How much? $400.00 he responds. And that is a pity, she says, you could have used that money to buy yourself a new jacket.

Anne's caustic venom towards the contestants is priceless and she keeps me coming back time and time again. I really hope that the show permanently expands to two nights a week. Monday's are not enough. And finally, we all love her famous line, "You are the weakest link. Goodbye!"

Great show!!

A ruthless show with a cut-throat edge!

Author: Jhangir Khwaja from London, England
4 April 2002

Who would've thought that Anne Robinson would become a sight to be reckoned with on both sides of the atlantic?

It's not surprising to know why the " The Weakest Link" became such a show that had more than just a few average heads turning in it's direction.

This is more than just a typical game show to begin with. . .Gone are the days when pathetic game shows featuring annoying fake charmed contestants would congratulate one another for beating the best one out. This one really bites the dust!

Anne Robinson has become one HELL of a lean mean killing machine with her brute-force cutthroat comments towards her contestants, narrowing it down to more of a black and white outlook.

It's even amazing to learn that this is not of those "go lucky game shows" where everyone leaves satisfied, but more realistic with the way everyone responds to winning and losing.

This truly is a GAME for the new Millenium. ROCK ON Anne Robinson, you are the strongest link.

A Load of SH*T

Author: deanres21 from United Kingdom
6 February 2007

You would think people would get wise on how stupid this Weakest Link game show is with it's Ginger grim-faced presenter that looks worse for wear after many years doing her show. When she appeared on Points of view she looked useless as a TV critic and now she looks even useless has a Game show presenter and was right, she's only good at putting people down when she feels threatened by them. I laugh when people call her the ginger scoucer with a face to drop dead with - it seems she gets up-set by these comments made about her, eh? from someone who likes dishing it out she obviously can't take peoples comments about her - is this telling you something?

Cut out the snide !

Author: benbrae76
11 September 2006

How has Anne Robinson got away with being so blatantly ignorant for so long, and what are the producers thinking of to allow it? In this age of yob culture, it is (albeit in a small way) showing the decent kids just how not to behave, and she is undermining all the efforts to curtail bad manners and behaviour. If she said similar things without studio protection, she'd have probably had her face slapped or her backside kicked long ago. I wonder if those viewers who think this is all great fun would tolerate similar remarks aimed at them, not in a studio, but in the street. I would hazard a guess at the negative. In short, they'd probably blow their top.

This could be quite a decent quiz show, if given the chance to stand on it's own feet without all the unnecessary snide remarks. I see she didn't last too long in the States, and I'm led to believe that the show overall wasn't very well received. I'm not surprised.

My wife actually watches this show on a regular basis but she puts the TV to mute when Miss Robinson starts her nonsensical vocabulary. Would it not be better to cut it from the show altogether, and get back to something resembling respectful conduct? And if that sounds stuffy so be it. There is nothing wrong with good manners.

Not meant to be taken so seriously.

Author: tyler-j-west from United States
7 January 2007

Come on, giving a show a 1/10 shows you are giving an extremely biased review. Let's rate shows on their merit.

I am giving this show a 7 because it is extremely entertaining to watch. Anne may be the cock of the walk in this show, but she gets her fair share of insults from the contestants who have the gumption to dish it back out. It is interesting to see people's real personalities come out among strangers--sometimes people are sneaky, other times they are very noble and allow others to stay on and compete against them even though they pose a greater threat.

The voting off can be very unfair, which is something I hate about this show. In plenty of episodes people gang up to eliminate specific individuals based on their gender, ethnicity or sexual orientation. These are the moments when Anne's personality makes the show, however. We have all seen an episode where Anne calls a contestant out on ganging up on one individual, when it is clear that one person is not being voted off for being the "weakest link," but for being the only woman left, etc.

The truth of the matter is that Anne has a very unique personality and one that is captivating for others to watch. She is a quick-witted person and makes a great moderator for a game show that pits contestants against each other. I'm in the US, and everyone I know who has seen this show thinks Anne is far more entertaining to watch than her American male replacement.

I've never heard Anne make a comment that could not be taken all in good fun, but she maintains her hard exterior because the show is supposed to have a no-nonsense approach. The cut-throat nature of it all makes the jabs and the personal interaction among contestants that much more interesting, and keeps the suspense high when time is counting down.

I love this show and cannot get enough. I always consider it a treat when I happen across it flipping through channels.

Anne rules!

Author: Rob999 from Liverpool, England
9 May 2001

This little gem slipped, unhyped and almost unnoticed, into the BBC Two daytime schedule during the summer of 2000. An unlikely host had been selected in the shape of former Points of View presenter Anne Robinson. Early reviews were mostly negative, but three months later, a nation had tossed aside "Is that your final answer?" and embraced a new quiz show catchphrase: "You are the weakest link. Goodbye!"

Weakest Link is the antithesis of the traditional quiz show. Questions and answers come at breakneck speed; no chance of taking ten minutes to choose your answer, unlike some shows I could mention. And our host does not suffer fools gladly. Whereas other quiz show hosts are happy to dole out patronising praise ("You won £70 in that round! Well done!"), Anne will voice the opinion of the millions shouting at their TV screens at home ("You won a pathetic £70, so we're not exactly fainting with admiration").

Despite only having a £20,000 maximum jackpot which is near-impossible to win, it gets five million viewers in its daytime slot and more than ten million for the primetime version: conclusive proof that a successful quiz needs a decent format more than a huge cash prize.

The show has now been sold around the world, and Anne has gone to Hollywood to host the US version. The little BBC quiz show has become the biggest worldwide success since Who Wants to be a Millionaire, and deservedly so.

Gripping Stuff!

Author: Chris from London, UK
18 December 2000

The Weakest Link oddly manages to be successful despite the fact that it is a decidedly low-budget, daytime TV quiz show. There is in-built cut-throat competition between the contestants that often results in amusing bust-ups or vain egotism, and, like "Millionaire," there is a good feel of at-home playability. The only downside is the jackpot, which, at a measly £10,000, makes you wonder what all the fuss is about. In reality, the only reason why this is not just another run-of-the-mill boring game show is Anne Robinson, the presenter. She is so cruel towards the contestants that she was recently named the Meanest Person on British TV; her cutting, demoralising comments once brought a contestant to tears. Her catchphrase, which she utters whenever the weakest link (ie: the worst contestant) is voted off the show, should go down in the annals of gameshow history: "You are the weakest link. Goodbye."

Horribly funny

Author: fiddlincklcrker from Nevada
30 July 2003

This show is so funny that sometimes it can be a horrible show. I hate it when Ann makes fun of somebody when they do something wrong. She thinks that she is better than everyone else. I also hate the attitude that the contestant give after they have been voted off.

Prize money is pathetic

Author: mary-179-677383 from Australia
3 July 2012

I have seen the show several times (not by choice), and I wonder each time, how a show like this continues to exist.

1. the whole atmosphere and appearance is cold, dark and depressing. Blue and black is not a good match.

2. I hate how the prize money is ridiculously low. Most contestant's finish the show winning between $2000 - $3000 pounds. I think considering how much the show would be earning and how much Anne gets paid, they should at least up the prize money. I don't see how people with jobs can waste time going on the show for a 1 in 12 chance of winning such pathetic prize money.

3. The host says the questions so fast, it would be better if the time was paused when she was asking the questions.

4. I don't like how the host spins around to each contestant. It's bad design.

5. When the host does engage with contestants it just feels so contrived. I don't the coldness of the show's design as mentioned in point 1 helps the matter.