IMDb > Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius (2001) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 12:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Kids Movie? I Object!

Author: julylilly from East Texas
20 December 2002

So it's by Nickelodeon. So,It's animated. So, I'm 25 with a 3 year old. I love this movie! Maybe I'm one of the few lucky people to be born with a healthy sense of humor, but when my son and I can sit down together and laught at the same parts of the movie, it's definitley worth it's wieght in gold. Don't you people remember being kids? What would you do if you found out there were no parents anywhere around? Yep-the same thing they did, party until you're constipated.THEN wonder where your parents are. Kids like burp and fart jokes because they're kids. How many times can you recall in your childhood when a well-timed burp would disrupt a class for the remainder of the day? And just to add my son't two cents: the part where Poultra is conked on the head by the getaway ship and is going to fall on the audience... my son finds nothing funnier than the thought of a chicken with butt cheeks. Why don't you people see the movie for the entertainment that it is and not pick it apart like some Oscar Nominations Panel? I have two words for you people... UN PUCKER.

This Depends On Your Audience

Author: ccthemovieman-1 from United States
6 April 2006

There are lots of funny lines in this animated movie and some funny characters, at least for adults. I laughed and thought it was great but when I played it for the second time, with a couple of little kids in the audience I was disappointed that most of the humor went over their heads. All of a sudden, the film wasn't as great as I had remembered (and told them it was). So.....what you think of this film, I guess might depend on your age, for one thing.

There's a nice message here for the kids, though: you can't do without your parents. Speaking of kids, the nerdy-looking fat kid obviously was the funniest in here. Everyone in the audience likes him.

One bit of warning to the older folks: keep the audio remote handy. This gets very loud in spots and needs to be turned down here and there.

Not the piece of Nick crap the previews made it out to be.

Author: perni from Owensboro, KY
19 September 2002

I saw the trailers for Jimmy Neutron and was not at all impressed. The premise sounded way too kiddy and the fact that it was going to be a TV show made the whole thing scream, "Marketing!" Thankfully I just caught it on video and was wonderfully surprised. The animation is very good and nicely detailed, the humor is simple and G-rated for kids, which will please adults, and the story is fast-paced and creative. I liked all of the characters, from the whipped-cream hair sporting Jimmy to his nerdy friends and the evil booger aliens. There were some genuinely cool touches too, like the fight between a tiny teacher and the deadly apple worm or the detailed alien chicken. My only real complaint is the fact that the soundtrack is packed to the brim with dumb pop songs that pop up at the weirdest times and basically interrupt the flow of the whole movie. Also, any movie with Aaron Carter singing in it quickly gets a few points demoted from it. You can stick around after the video's credits for some music videos, one with the C arter kid and another with some girls singing "We're the Kids In America." They are not spectacular extras, which makes me yearn for a DVD player even more, now. All in all, though, Jimmy is a pleasant, short flick that won't keep adults in a coma and will definitely get the kids quiet for an hour. It may not be up there with the Pixar films or Shrek, but it is decent nonetheless. 3/4 stars.

Some people are a bit harsh on this film

Author: TheNorthernMonkee from Manchester
9 December 2003

There's not too much that can really be said about "Jimmy Neutron" as far as films go. A previous reviewer described it as something to watch on a rainy Sunday afternoon and that sounds like an adequate description. There are a few reviews on this website of the film though which feel a bit harsh. Ultimately, theres no denying that "Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius" is a kids film, that's what it was meant to be, that's what it is. That's not a bad thing though. Whilst it may not have the adult humour of other animations (mainly the greatest animation of them all, "Shrek"), it does still have the occasional funny joke that will make people of all ages laugh. Whilst the plot is a bit wafer thin and the animation a bit simplistic at times, I'd like to see most of the reviewers on this website try and do better. Ultimately, I can understand that to some people, this film may not be their cup of tea, and for a long time I avoided trying to watch it. Once you sit down and give it the time of day though, you'll be pleasantly surprised. Not the best animation of the last few years, but definately worth a viewing.

Very fun

Author: preppy-3 from United States
17 March 2003

Computer-animated cartoon about Jimmy who, inadvertently, has all the parents in his neighborhood kidnapped by aliens. It's up to Jimmy and his classmates to follow the aliens through outer space to save their parents.

Silly but lots of fun. There's some incredible computer animation, hysterically funny lines (for kids and adults) and a VERY quick pace that make up for a few dull moments and a really silly script.

A perfect family movie. Adults--turn off your brain and enjoy!

Go counterparts Go!

Author: bmccree1912 from United States
22 July 2005

The film and movie soundtrack are excellent. This is the best nickelodeon film I have ever seen and this is better than the series that was built on its foundation. Wait a tick, Isn't Steve Oddekerk the guy who played the chosen one in the hilarious Kung Pow: enter the fist. The 3-d animation is great and this is hilarious thanks to the fantastic scriptwriters and actors who provided the voices. If There was an award for best nick movie my vote would go to Jimmy Neutron for a great project in filmaking. Go rent or buy the movie if you haven't seen it yet and if you like the film, get the soundtrack as well. Jimmy Neutron Rocks!

To Infinity and Beyond.

Author: tfrizzell from United States
22 September 2003

An elementary school student has to save his parents from evil space aliens with the help of his classmates (who all had their parents kidnapped as well) in this fun and overall enjoyable animated feature from the Nickelodeon Studios. "Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius" was a surprise Best Animated Feature nominee in 2001 (the category's first year). It seemed to be the oddball production in a group which included "Shrek" and "Monsters, Inc." (there were only three films nominated in that category that year). Overall though "Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius" is on par with "Shrek" (one of the more over-rated films of the past few years) and stands tall with the superior "Monsters, Inc.". Admittedly the movie is excellent for children, but only fair for hardened adults. It lacks the charm for wide audiences that most other animated features have these days. Still, "Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius" serves its purpose to the paramount and continues to be a money-maker for Nickelodeon (there is a regular series airing now on that network). First-rate animation (that has that striking aquarium-style appeal to it) and good voice characterizations (Martin Short and Patrick Stewart in particular as the comical aliens) make the movie one of the better films of 2001. 4 stars out of 5.

Smart Family Film!

Author: meeza (themeezaman@hotmail.com) from Miami, Fl
2 January 2002

I am sure glad that I have gone to see one of the most witty family films in `Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius'. The film does not have an ingenious plot: Jimmy and his friends must save their family who have been abducted by aliens. But boy o boy! It sure does have a very witty screenplay and one-liners that were sure the bomb! It will be very dumb for you not take your family to see `Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius'. **** Good

I know son, but if all your friends were named Cliff, would you jump off them?

Author: Andy (film-critic) from Bookseller of the Blue Ridge
9 February 2007

Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius isn't the best movie I have ever seen, in fact, it is very rare that I deem any film with those words, but it was worth an hour and a half of my time. What stood out immediately was the animation, the coloring, the bold attention to detail, and the fact that none of it was lost on the DVD. Occasionally, you find yourself watching an animated film wondering how many drinks the animators may have had while attempting to create artwork, which suddenly becomes even more visible in the comfort of your own home. There has been, in my time reviewing these films, one film that has been animated flawlessly. That was The Incredibles, and while Neutron is not that film, the two do stand very well together. Aside from the standing ovation animation, the rest of the film is actual a fun watch. Going into this film with no knowledge of the character Jimmy Neutron or his history, I found myself eager to enjoy more of his adventures and further deeper into his world.

One of the enjoyable elements of this film has to be the pacing. While some will argue that you cannot judge a film by the mere merit of time, for Jimmy Neutron you can. I didn't want to get bogged down, I didn't want to loose my attention span, and thankfully – with the skilled penmanship of one Steve Oedekerk – I learned to sit back and thoroughly enjoy what Jimmy had to offer. I wasn't distracted by small, insignificant plot alleys or forgettable characters; with Neutron what you see is what you get. For approximately 82 minutes we are packed with one exciting element after another without getting sidetracked. From the opening "pull" sequence to the center amusement park transformation, all the way to the final climactic scene which incorporated all the themes and elements from earlier in the film, Neutron honestly didn't let you down. The humor was crisp, the characters were actually enjoyable to watch, and unlike other films of this genre, you knew what was going to happen, but you weren't quite sure how. I think that is what kept my attention the longest, with the brain power of Neutron; I was never quite sure what he was going to combine next. The opportunities were endless, and I enjoyed seeing them unfold right before me. Laugh all you want, but Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius was an enjoyable experience.

Why is it that women can do pre-pubescent boy voices better than anyone else? I loved the voices in this film mainly because it didn't focus on trying to give you the "who is that voice" quiz game, but rather employ unknowns and allow the film to do the talking. While I have to give the entire cast excellent marks on their work with this film, it was Patrick Stewart and (I can't believe I am saying this…) Martin Short's comical combination that did it for me. They aren't big stars, so I didn't hear the voice and immediately see the actor, I saw the Martian counterparts that they were trying to portray! Coupled with the fact that they looked hysterical (humorous physical depictions of alien life), I found myself laughing at this pair more than I imagined. Stewart controlled his voice and delivered (with ease) some of the best one-liners of this film, while Short added the final punch needed to make the kiddies in the audience laugh. For me, the two worked brilliantly together and could honestly carry a show of their own together. Short wasn't over the top, and the two created a strong balance which coupled well with the seriousness of Neutron's quest.

Alas, I cannot give it the full five stars, mainly because of an issue of redundancy. Perhaps that isn't the right word, but what I am trying to say is that this is a show that prides itself on the genius of the main character, Jimmy. What makes this show work is that he is by far the smartest child on the Earth, yet his parents keep him grounded (which creates likability for the viewers) by making him do chores, get in trouble, and create boundaries. Yet, for all the inventions that Jimmy creates, for all the tests that he passes in school, he seems to forget that there is no air in space and therefore the entire plausibility of all the children in his town flying to this obscure planet is debunked. I realize that this is a cartoon, a-hem, an animated feature and that I should just accept the fact that in this world there is air in space, but I couldn't buy it. Without the masks or helmets, I felt cheated and was pulled away from the truth, thus forcing me to realize I was watching a film. Make sense? I was deeply involved with this film until the kids rallied together and shot into space, because of the fake nature of it. I couldn't move past it, and was a discouraging element to the film.

Overall, I would strongly suggest this film to families, and in fact, friends. I thought this was a very funny, very smart, and exceptionally well animated film, especially during the age of Pixar. The voices were perfect, the pacing (as mentioned before) was a slice of perfection, and the overall molding of this film was nearly flawless. Outside of the scientific elements that should have been caught (due to the intelligence of our main character), there were moments of pure Oedekerk that made me grin from ear to ear. I liked Jimmy Neutron, and while it may get me laughed at on the playground, I thought that for what it was worth, it gave a good 92% -- and that is still an A isn't it? Check it out – you will be happy!

Grade: **** out of *****

Jimmy Neutron strikes a chord with this ingenious picture

Author: dangerousface from United States
9 June 2005

I'll admit it-when this arrived in theaters four years ago, I wasn't interested. I was thirteen, "too old and mature" for kiddie pictures. I had seen what Nick had done with their movies in the past and couldn't believe some smart kid picture with the usual fare of gross jokes could be remotely entertaining. I also refused to watch the T.V. series. That it, until I caught an episode one afternoon and realized what an entertainment gem I was missing.

The plot of JN is fairly simple- Jimmy is a ten year old genius who wants nothing more than to hang out with his friends and fix the wiring on his shrink ray. However, his inventions cause chaos and his parents want him around for a few more years-restricting him from going out late. Easy enough, but we learn that earlier Jimmy made alien contact, and now the aliens have abducted all of the Earth's parents. Sure, it's a party for a day or so, but soon its up to Jimmy, Carl, Cindy, Sheen, and Libby to save the day.

To risk sounding like a clichéd robot, the genius of the film is in the unique characters. Carl, Jimmy's best friend is a llama-loving dunce while Sheen is "Ultra-Lord" obsessed-an EXCELLENT parody on the fan boy generation. Of course, the best character interaction is between Jimmy and his nemesis Cindy-the second smartest kid in school. Cindy's a tough girl who's hard on him simply for being what he is-a geeky smart guy who's got a slight reputation for knowing it all. Yet, when Jimmy's self-esteem fails, he'll only believe Cindy to tell him what a great guy he really is.

I'm sure you've noticed the recent trend in cartoons for adults over the years. Jimmy is no exception, tossing in the mandatory kiddie fare with some sharp references and unique character play. Movie fans may hold Shrek as their holy grail of animated comedy, but in my opinion, Jimmy Neutron can more than stand up to the jolly green giant.

In conclusion, don't miss Jimmy Neutron simply because its a Nickelodeon kid's movie. This film is smart and funny with more than enough intelligence for everyone.

Page 1 of 12:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]