IMDb > Ice Age (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Ice Age

Ice Age More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 46: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

One of the most enjoyable family films in the past years

Author: MisterWhiplash from United States
15 March 2002

It always seems to be with these computer animated movies, to have a charm all it's own, humor that usually works all around, and (a flaw to be sure) the same plot elements fitted into different settings (notice how friendship, betrayal and a climax involving kids in some way fit into every animated movie in the past 7 years outside of Antz). Ice Age follows that tradition being the first 20th Century Fox computer animated movie from Bunny director Chris Wedge, and it has an undeniable sweetness that can strike young and old alike. This also goes with the laughs too.

Manfred (Ray Romano), Sid (John Leguizamo), and Diego (Denis Leary) join together, obvious un-wantingly at first, to return a baby to it's father. That's the plot-line and it works in it's typical way, borrowing from the two good computer flicks from last year as well (Monster's Inc. and Shrek). But what keeps young and old and inbetween alike in their seats is not the story but rather the good natured and silly humor, convinving if not always realistic surroundings and splendid voice work by the three leads. A fine movie.

One more note: while Leary, Romano and Leguizamo show off their capabilities, I jest to forget who steals a good chunk of the movie- a little squirrel chasing after an all important acorn nut throughout the pan of the movie. Truth be told, he deserves his own TV show. A-

A good addition to the CGI genre

Author: mjw2305 from England
14 January 2007

At the dawn of a new ice age, three mismatched creatures have been thrust together by fate. They stumble upon a human baby and decide that they will take it back to its family, and so begins their journey, where they have to learn to trust and respect each others species if they are to survive and succeed.

Ice Age is 20th Century Foxes answer to already well established works from Disney/Pixar and Dreamworks, and i'm happy to say that this film is a strong competitor, although it isn't as good as Shrek, Finding Nemo or the Toy Story films.

Ice Age has plenty of funny characters, bags of humour and a nice sprinkle of charm and sentiment, which helps to make it an appealing movie for the whole family.

7/10 It's not the greatest, but its definitely worth watching

Yawn...

Author: culbeda from Denver, CO
24 June 2006

While graphically amazing, the story never held my interest and I found the humor lacking. It had style but VERY little substance with a forced morality lesson in tow.

I really don't understand why everyone was so jazzed about this movie. Maybe they were voting based on how well their kids liked it. As an adult, I was personally rather bored.

I only gave it a 5 because of the technical wizardy of the CG.

Well, since I'm forced to put in at least 10 lines, I'll also say that Ray Romano is talentless and continues to play the same character no matter what he does. He's even worse than Kevin Costner and Nicolas Cage.

Much better than it seems

Author: FrankBooth_DeLarge from someplace
28 February 2005

From the commercials and trailers, this movie looked pretty good. When I saw it at the theater, it was really good, much better than I ever would've expected.

The animation is quite stunning. The story is good too, with plenty of good points about working in a team and overcoming hardships together as one.

This is often compared to Shrek, while I think that Shrek is an entirely different type of movie. Even though the sloth in this movie does kind resemble the chatterbox donkey in Shrek, the two films are much different. Both films have great animation. The animation in Shrek is more colorful, while in Ice Age there is snow everywhere, so the main ground color is white.

I'm sure most kids will enjoy Ice Age, even the 13 year olds will probably enjoy it too. People in the age area between 14 and 16 might think other wise.

This is great, it is thrilling, enjoyable, and has a good meaning deep inside. This is one that, unlike many children's films, will probably entertain the whole family, and yes that does include teenagers.

Surprisingly funny

Author: tj_carlsson from Sweden
2 January 2005

And it shows that FOX is right up there with Pixar and Dreamworks.

The movie is about Sid the sloth, Manny the wolly mammoth and Diego the saber tooth tiger that try to take a human baby back to it's father and Diego has some hidden intentions concerning the baby.

As I've already stated, it's surprisingly funny with almost every joke making you laugh. The effects are also very nice looking.

Some scenes are just classic, like the Tekawando-Dodos, that scene always gets me.

The voice talents in this movie is also perfect and they fit their characters really well.

Maybe a bit short, but it gives you a good laugh 7/10

Average animation.

Author: sarahw31 from Northumberland, England
1 January 2004

Spoilers herein.

Ice Age is a nothing-special animated movie.

Watchable, in a no-effort required kind of way, with the odd particularly good scene. Notably the opening sequence with the squirrel and the scene where Diego, the sabre-toothed tiger, 'dies' (which I actually found quite moving....!).

The story is of three mammals, a sloth, a mammoth and a sabre-tooth tiger who find a human child and try to return him to his tribe. The three animals begin their journey as adversaries, but end as friends....yeuk.

One good point was that although most of the animals could talk, the humans could merely grunt.

Uneven, But Still Fun in a Cutesy Way

Author: kalel6868 from Louisville, Kentucky
4 December 2002

Millions of years ago (or thousands, depending on your religious beliefs) a squirrel-rat forced an acorn into a crack in the ice, causing an avalanche that kicked off the Ice Age.

At least, that's what this silly diversion of a movie would have you believe.

And the comic relief provided by that squirrel-rat character (known as Scrat) as he repeatedly tries to find a hiding place for that acorn is the highlight of an otherwise uneven but sporadically funny, though at times mean-spirited family movie.

After the Ice Age hits, herds of prehistoric mammals start migrating towards warmer temperatures. A sloth named Sid (voiced by a lisping John Leguizamo) gets left behind by his family (not surprising, considering how annoying this odd-looking little creature is) and takes up with a brooding woolly mammoth named Manfred (Ray Romano).

Meanwhile, a pack of sabre-tooth tigers led by the evil Soto (Goran Visnjic) attacks a tribe of primitive humans. One human mother manages to get away with her baby, but is chased down by Soto's second-in-command Diego (Dennis Leary). Soto commands Diego to bring the baby back at all costs.

And wouldn't you know, the baby is found by Sid and Manfred, who decide to guard him and get him back to his family.

Essentially a road movie without cars, the rest of the plot follows the adventures of Sid, Manfred and Diego in their trek across the tundra played mostly for laughs. Which is why the occasional lapses into dramatic territory (such as the revelation of what happened to Manfred's family, and the rather violent end that comes to one of the villains) seem to come in from another movie altogether.

The animation is good, but noticeably inferior to the similarly plotted MONSTER'S INC; but then I don't think they were going for realism here. All of the characters look like three-dimensional cartoons.

Overall, it's a passable time-killer with a few good laughs, and a storyline that's just predictable enough to keep you comfortable.

Sort of like a comfy old coat that's been worn a few too many times.

Did I see the same movie as everyone else? What was the point? Boring & hard to follow

Author: LawTiger87 from North Alabama
1 December 2002

In reading these reviews, I find it hard to believe that I saw the same movie. Ice Age had okay animation, although not as good as Shrek, a few funny scenes, but overall as an adult it did not catch my interest at all and I found myself to be quite bored upon renting it. I have no idea how kids liked the movie so I can not judge as to them.

I did not particularly like or identify with any of the characters (except maybe Scrat, the proto-squirrel trying to hide his nut who was rather funny). I also like for my movies to have a well-rounded, well-conceived plot, which Ice Age definitely did not. In most stories, such as Shrek, we understand the plot and root for the heroes to overcome problems or adversaries and triumph in the end. In this story it was hard to tell who were the heroes and who was not.

I need to preface my review in that I love the old Bugs Bunny cartoons. I also loved Shrek and think it still to be the most clever and witty animated movie ever, along with a cool soundtrack. Monster's Inc. and Toy Story were good but not great animated stories along the same lines and I have watched each of them several times for entertainment value. Therefore, I am not a cartoon slammer and I am not some old fuddy-duddy who does not understand what is funny and what is not. I don't try to look for some hidden agenda or deep, mysterious moral behind a movie, I just watch to get some enjoyment and fun out of it (such as Shrek).

And then comes "Ice Age." I rented it last week. Unfortunately, with "Ice Age", I was rather confused, bored almost all the time, and perhaps appalled at times by the meandering storyline that never quite connected up for me. The animation was okay but Shrek is a much, much better movie in all facets.

*SPOILER WARNING* I won't go into detail as to the plot as that has been done elsewhere. But I could not really ascertain what we were supposed to feel in this movie? Was this a buddy movie, a morality play about helping others, "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you" or what? Very murky writing from what I could see as I could not gather what it all meant. I am not one to slam movies and can find almost anything good about the most awful movies I have ever seen, but I had no clue as to motivations or who we should root for --- the humans who apparently kill all animals, the Mammoth and sabertooth Tiger who are doomed as doomed can be due to extinction issues in real life, or

the sloth, who is rather stupid and the only one who should not survive anyway (See Jar Jar Binks - LOL).

But in "Ice Age" what was the motivation for Manfred the Mammoth, Sid the Sloth, and Diego the Sabertooth Tiger, taking the human baby back to the hunters? Apparently we are to assume that they were "doing the right thing." Accepting that theory, then why was taking the human baby back to the hunters the right thing? One could assume that as far as motivations go, it might have been better to kill the human baby so that Manfred and Diego could live longer. After all, these were HUNTERS not Cro-Magnon vegetarians!

Also, at the end of the movie, I find it hard to believe that Sid would not hunt down his old sloth herd and that Diego would not find a new bunch of sabertooth tigers to hang with. The buddy-buddy connection was not as strong or believable as in Shrek. Especially, since Diego turns out to be a "friend" only in the last 15 minutes of the movie or so after leading Manfred and Sid to an ambush for the first 1 1/2 hours of the flick.

Maybe I am overly cynical, but in the flash-back scene, it appears as though Manfred the Mammoth had his entire family killed by hunters and now he is taking a baby back that will grow up and kill him, too? Is he stupid? Is this some kind of thorn in the lion's paw type quid-pro-quo?

Are we supposed to see some kind of profound life-changing experience, i.e, the Mammoth brought back the baby, I will never hunt again??? Fat chance of that, I would think. There is no connecting up so that we actually believe the hunters will not kill the animals ever again, so who are we to speculate?

Also, is this some kind of pro-vegetarian movie, don't kill the animals because they are the same as us? Fat chance again. Ice age humans lived a nomadic hunting existence and did not start agrarian societies until some 10,000 years later. So they did not establish farms or stay in one place as that was not possible with the advancing Ice Age. They ate what they could, which was mostly meat, along with berries, fruits, and what-not they picked as they went along. So the chances that they would not kill Manfred for food at a later date are slim and none. Not believable even in a kiddy movie context.

Don't forget at the beginning that either Diego or the head of his sabertooth pack says that the hunters have killed half their pack and that is why they want to kill the baby. So Diego helps take a human baby back, so the baby will grow up and kill him, too??? Is this believeable or am I missing something?

Interestingly enough, the main hunter never mentions what happened nor sheds a tear about the death of his wife (who apparently drowns off-camera), it is all about the male baby who will also grow up to be a hunter. And this is a kid's movie??? Very shocking/interesting undertones for a kid's movie. Not exactly the type of sentimentality engendered when Bambi's mother dies!

Also, for continuity's sake, I thought that Diego was trying to lead the Mammoth and Sid into a trap of the other sabertooth Tigers and not necessarily to the humans? However, coincidentally the humans and sabertooth Tigers are all in one place. I really did not see an entire pack, just 5 or 6 Tigers. They could have easily jumped the Mammoth and Sloth earlier in the film instead of supposedly letting Diego get the baby and bringing the baby to them.

Scrat the proto-squirrel provides some good scenes although he really does not fit into the storyline at all. The dodo dancing scene was interesting as was the Ice slide scenes. Even taken as a cute, funny kiddy story with no motives attributed to the producers, I didn't appreciate the undertones to the rhinoceros pair. This was truly not necessary. Also, as adults we know the Mammoth and the sabertooth Tiger are doomed to extinction, so this put a bad slant on the movie for me, knowing that Manfred and Diego were doomed from the get-go.

Overall, I would have to give Ice Age an 8 for animation, but a 2 for plotline and continuity. I did not really care much about the characters and did not really care what happened at the end. Here coming up on Christmas, I hate to sound like the Grinch, but this movie was not good at all for adults.

Not funny and poor animation

Author: Andy Sheldon (andysheldon@yahoo.com) from Maryland
15 April 2002

I hardly laughed at all. I thought the animation was poor (what movie was everyone else watching?). The humans characters moved like they have lead weights on their feet. Okay, I figure the movie was made for kids. But the plot is about some tigers trying to kidnap and kill a human baby. And along the way, the baby's mother dies. What a lovely plot for a child! What a disappointment! The only good parts were shown in the trailers.

A fine kids movie

Author: callipygian from SF Bay Area, CA
31 March 2002

Having been blown away by what animated films are capable of in

the last year (Shrek & Monsters, Inc.) as far as cross-generational

humor, I was sadly disappointed by Ice Age.

All the reviews said, if you like Shrek and Monsters, Inc., you'll love

Ice Age. The trailer made it look interesting, the cast was good,

and this movie had everything going for it. Sadly, it didn't live up to

what it could have been.

The animation was poor by today's standards, with the human

characters looking more like GI Joe's than people. The cave men

had square jaws, rigid lines, and twine hair. Their movement was

jerky and unnatural. It was a big step down from other recent

animated films. The wind blowing through Sullivan's hair on the

ice covered mountainside in Monsters, Inc. comes to mind for

example.

Poor animation could have been overlooked, if it weren't for the

predictable plot and tired jokes. At one point in the movie, an 8

year old boy sitting next to me turned to his friend and said, "Oh my

god, this is so predictable, next he's gonna <insert spoiler here>".

All I can say is that when an 8 year old finds a movie too

predictable, it's not going to keep me interested for long.

As I mentioned earlier, I've enjoyed several other recent animated

films that offered something to multiple generations. They

contained jokes that were clearly intended for a mature audience.

Ice Age had one or two, an amusing commentary on evolution

comes to mind, but for the most part, the jokes were all kid stuff.

To sum it all up, if you've got kids that want to go see Ice Age, by all

means, take them; I'm sure they'll love it. If on the other hand

you're interested in something you can both enjoy, or maybe you

don't have any kids at all but are a kid at heart, I'm afraid Ice Age

may let you down.