IMDb > Ice Age (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Ice Age

Ice Age More at IMDbPro »

Page 11 of 47: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [Next]

A dish served icy cold can be better than a dish served warm.

Author: kirk-246 from United States
24 December 2009

I just finished watching this movie on the Net and I have to say that this was a very entertaining and heart warming animated movie that will please adults just as much as kids.The characters are stupendous, the animation is great, the plot is convincing, and the overall movie is wonderful.Just wonderful.The movie itself became such a hit that it managed to spawn 2 sequels, the 2nd movie I haven't seen but the 3rd I have seen and enjoyed very much.Out of all of the characters in the movie, my favorite one would probably have to be Scrat.In case you don't know, Scrat is a squirrel who will do anything in order to get his hands on an acorn.Seeing him trying to get an acorn on-screen just makes you want him to be the main character of the whole movie.Nonetheless, "Ice Age" is a great film for all ages.

A good film.

Author: Sirus_the_Virus from United States
23 December 2009

Ice age isn't a great movie. If you think about some of the other animated achievements in the past(Toy story, Up, Ratatouille). All beautiful films.Ice age doesn't compare to those, but it's a fun film.

Ice age is a film that takes place, well, obviously, in the Ice age. It revolves around three characters. A Whooly mammoth named Manny(voiced by Ray Ramono), a sloth or something named Sid(voiced by John Leguizamo), and a Sabertooth named... well, I can't remember right now.(voiced by the great Dennis Leary).They begin a search when an Indian tribe is attacked and they find an infant.

They don't know whether to trust the saber tooth. Because he might have attacked the tribe(which he kind of did). The three animals try to take the infant home on a very fun journey. A journey that some may forget.

Ice age is entertaining no doubt about it. But saying that it is art and a masterpiece is pushing it. Really pushing it. Luckily, I don't know anybody who has. Ice age is a fun movie. And the only good one in the trilogy. Yes, I am sad to admit that it is the only good Ice age film. The others just got extinct after a while. This one... that won't happen.

Ice age:***/****

the plot treads on familiar ground, but "Ice Age" succeeds because of an arsenal of funny moments, charming characters, and some surprisingly strong and beautiful moments

Author: TheUnknown837-1 from United States
9 November 2009

As far as plot is concerned, there is nothing particularly spectacular about "Ice Age" because Manny the mammoth, Sid the sloth, and Diego the saber-tooth are treading over the same ground that movies such as "Shrek" did shortly before. However, that does not disqualify it from being an enjoyable movie. By contrast, this is a very sweet, funny, and wonderfully charming little movie that I actually prefer over "Shrek." Yes, "Shrek" is a better movie, but I personally prefer "Ice Age."

Like "Shrek", the movie concerns a grumpy hermit, an irritating sidekick, and an unwanted burden all joined together on a quest. Only this time, the hermit is a moody mammoth named Manny (voice by Ray Romano), the sidekick is a rejected sloth named Sid (voice by John Leguizamo) and the unwanted burden is a human child whose been separated from his clan following an attack by a pack of saber-toothed tigers. One of the tigers, a cunning feline named Diego (Denis Leary) has also joined the quest to return the child to his clan. And as they travel, there's a rat-like squirrel known only as Scrat, darting around, obsessed with protecting his acorn against everything from nosey sloths to avalanches.

The reason why "Ice Age" holds up despite an all-too-familiar plot is because it boasts surprisingly funny jokes, well-realized characters, a decent enough story, and much to my delight, a potent level of charm. The movie is not all light-noted funny moments. There are some surprisingly moving moments in the movie, including one that succeeded in bringing tears to my eyes. And that's the primary reason why I like this movie so much. It makes me laugh, but also warms my heart. Yet it does not overplay the dramatic hand to the point where it becomes mopey or too depressing for younger children.

Overall, "Ice Age" is a very well-realized family entertainment movie. It's not a jaw-dropping spectacle or a revolutionary film, but it is influential, very funny, charming, and it can pull at your heart strings. And that nutty little squirrel Scrat, he never fails at producing a grin.

Evolution

Author: kosmasp
14 September 2009

An animated picture that is really good and it's not from Pixar? Then it must be from Walt Disney Pictures, right? Well ... no! This little movie that dared and could, comes not from the Disney House (and/or Pixar which is now part of the big Disney family), but still is a great movie.

While it has a few flaws (especially pacing wise), it convinces with it's very funny characters. A great first movie, that introduces us to characters we learn to love. And you have an animal (to love) for everyone. The talented voice cast turns it up a notch and make you forget about the very pale "humans" (depicted in this movie).

It was totally Funny and the graphics was superb

Author: manikhero from Bahrain
15 July 2009

The movie was totally funny and the graphics was superb. Especially, Sid the Sloth was the funniest of all and his voice was also funny. My favorite characters were Diego and Soto because of their Saber tooth and they were so superb in the movie. Manny and Scrat were also funny. All the Scrat scenes were so funny. The last scene was also cool. The baby was very cute and that is also favorite character. When Sid says to Manny that I can take care of the baby, that scene was also funny. Even, the Rhinos were superb. The Voice of Soto and Diego, was superb and it was a harsh voice given by the people. The melon scene and the sliding scene were funny. I should Really appreciate the creators of "Ice Age".

"you know humans can't talk"

Author: RainDogJr from Mexico City
7 July 2009

I saw this one when it was brand new back in 2002. Yesterday I saw the new Ice Age, Dawn of the Dinosaurs, and in my comment of Dawn of the Dinosaurs I wrote this: "I was pretty much a fan of the first Ice Age, right now I have one adjective to describe each: for the first one (released in 2002) the adjective is great and for the first sequel (released in 2006 and called The Meltdown) the adjective is boring". So today I decided to watch again Ice Age and it wasn't the same, it wasn't like in 2002. And I wasn't a very little kid back in 2002 but still 7 years are 7 years and certainly I remembered a much better movie, I remembered a much funnier squirrel but now I can say this isn't even better than Dawn of the Dinosaurs, of course this doesn't looks as good as "Dinosaurs" (still it is a good-looking movie) and well this is just an OK movie, entertaining at least.

It's very simple, simple elements: three different animals, a mammoth, a sloth and a saber tooth tiger, will have a common goal which is returning a lost baby to his people. The saber tooth tiger while at first with a different goal will end being good, you know it is basic. The squirrel works a bit better here than in "Dinosaurs", it feels that it is a bit more stick with the main story. But still apart of that scene when the main characters ask it about the humans and of its very last expression (that happens 20, 000 years later of the events in the movie) the squirrel is never hilarious.

So, yesterday I was thinking "the first one was much better than its sequels" but now I'm not, this is far from being a great.

Great Animation

Author: Luciano Marzo from United States
5 July 2009

I first saw this movie in theaters when I was a kid. Since then I have probably watched this movie 6 times. It was worth it each time. This movie is so much fun. Ice Age is great for kids but should not be watched by them only. It has a charm that can appeal to older audiences unlike some animated movies. These other animated movies are still good but don't always hold the interest of the older folks. Ice Age is fun for the whole family! It also has a fairly speedy pace, and the movie is not filled with the main characters singing the soundtrack constantly. The sequel was also very good! I have not seen Ice Age 3 yet but am looking forward to seeing it soon.

Now THIS is a family film

Author: dobbin-4 from Australia
5 July 2009

There has been a lot of bad kids films in the past decade which relied on tired jokes, predictable story lines and fart humour but this show is n't like that and really can be enjoyed by everyone in the family.

The plot starts with Sid the sloth, who, after being abandoned by his family after migration, finds Manfred, a depressed mammoth who just wants to be left alone. Together, they find a baby and decide to take him to his tribe to be with his family. While this is going on, a gang of saber toothed tigers hunt for the baby and send fellow tiger Diego to find the baby, but when he finds the baby in the care of Manfred and Sid he decides to lead them, acting as a tracker right into an ambush. Here begins the humour.

The plot is more balanced and the characters more likable then in your ordinary kid film. In this film we see more then just the usual fart and slapstick humour and begin to see jokes about their actual situation and while it does have most of the jokes aimed at kids, the jokes are fresh enough that adults will respect the experience as well.

Second, this film has a great back up of not only a good storyline and animation but all the voice actors support each other beautifully and help add quite a style to this movie that also adds to its enjoyability.

Overall, the film is funny and has many enjoyable moments. I definitely recommend it for the whole family from the kids to the adults. This is (As usual) the best film in the series.

An Animated film for All ages!

Author: Gunn from Minnesota
7 May 2009

One of the truly finest examples of animation in the new age of computer animated films. This little film has it all, a very funny script, delightful characters, a perfect cast of voice actors, fantastic animation, a terrific score by David Newman, poignant scenes and a sweet story of animals trying to survive the ice age. Ray Romano does a great job as Manny the Mammoth, John Leguizamo is fine as Sid the Sloth, Dennis Leary is perfect as Diego the fierce sabre tooth tiger who learns the meaning of friendship and the character of Skrat the wacky squirrel, voiced by director Chris Wedge, steals every scene he's in and becomes a star. The plot involves an unlikely trio of animals trying to deliver a lost human child back to his tribe. Kudos to all the animators, artists, technicians and everyone else involved in this wonderful film.

A really nice surprise!

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
6 May 2009

I think too many people compare this to Monsters' Inc and Shrek in terms of animation quality. I also think that this film would have been a lot more successful, had it not been released too soon to Monsters' Inc. I thought it was a well-written film and in some case sweet too. The animation is spot on, and when I saw it at the cinema, the whole room were in hysterics in the first five minutes, because of Scrat, who was one of the funnier characters. The voice work is highly commendable, especially Ray Romano as Manny and Denis Leary as Diego. John Leguizamo has his moments as Sid. The script was well written, very funny, but sometimes especially towards the end, when the humour could have been more focused. I actually liked the sentimentality brought into the story. The baby, is one of those characters you love or hate, I warmed to him, but i never empathised with him. Although, I was really moved by the bit where Manny is seen staring at the drawing with the hunters killing mammoths. Anyway, the music score was perfect. All in all, a funny and sometimes touching picture, that had a tendency to get a bit slow, but overall this is misjudged by people. 8/10 Bethany Cox