IMDb > Ice Age (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Ice Age

Ice Age More at IMDbPro »

Page 2 of 47:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

"I don't know about you guys, but we are the weirdest herd I've ever seen."

Author: classicsoncall from Florida, New York
12 January 2014

I'm always way behind the curve on these animated features, this one by about a dozen years. I don't know how that happens but time does go by. Maybe because I've seen so many films, I have to conclude that the story here wasn't very original or exciting, but on the plus side, young kids watching will probably get the message about teamwork, friendship, loyalty and integrity. Animation wise, I thought there was room for improvement with some of the characters but that was offset by the vivid use of color. I did get a kick out of the Tae-Kwan-Dodo bird gimmick, that was pretty funny. Overall, a passable story and recommended for the younger set, so if you have youngsters in the family, treat them by watching along side.

Ice Age is coming...

Author: Jessica Carvalho from Brazil
30 January 2006

I watched 'Ice Age'in the movie theater and I liked the movie. Spite of the fact that 'Ice Age'has many flaws and scientific errors,like humans,sabers,dinosaurs and mammoths living at the same period, and even the location of where the story passes(looks North America,but has some characteristics from Iceland for example) we can have fun even so.(unless you are very severe!)

The planet is entering an ICE AGE, and many animals are immigrating to the south where is warmer. Sid is a stupid Sloth that is left behind by his own family, that can't stand him any longer.Walking in his way, he meets Manfred,or how he calls '' Manny'' a moody mammoth who does not care about extinction or immigration and is going to the north. Worried that he can easily be captured, Sid decides to follow Manfred, and in the middle of their journey, they found a human mother with her baby. The mother dies but Manfred and Sid decides to take him and return the baby for the humans. Diego, one of the sabers, decides to follow and help them to go to a shortcut to the human's camp. What Manfred and Sid does not know, is that Diego is from a saber clan who hates humans and wants to kill the baby, and also pretend to betray they both to make they become saber's food. What will happen, will depend of Diego's behavior and conscience...

aka "A Era do Gelo" - Brazil

Overall review

Author: bikini_bottom_7 from Canada
27 January 2006

I thought that Ice Age was an excellent movie! As a woman of 30, with no children, I still seem to really enjoy these humorous, witty animated movies. Sid is the best character I have seen in some time, better than Bartok in Anastasia (although he was really humorous, and I did not think that his character could be matched or even beaten) and even more humorous than Melman in Madagascar. I have seen the movie at least 15 times (I own it obviously) and I quote the movie at work (on many occasions...yes,still). My favourite scene is the part where Sid says "Oh, oh, oh, I love this game!" and Sid and Manny continue to figure out what the squirrel is trying to tell them about the "tigers"..."Pack of wolves, pack of bears, pack of fleas, pack of whiskers, pack of noses, pack a derm?, pack of lies, pack of troubles, pack a wallop, pack of birds, pack of flying fish..." or however that part goes! That is THE funniest part about the whole movie, although I also really enjoyed the humour behind "putting sloths on the map" and many other parts as well. The only animated movie that can remotely compare to Ice Age is "Brother Bear".

The Cartoon Within

Author: tedg (tedg@filmsfolded.com) from Virginia Beach
23 March 2002

Spoilers herein.

Overall, this is pretty ordinary product, all derivative and quickly forgotten. Not as meanspirited as Shek though.

I found one sequence remarkable: the cave painting scene. It says something about the sophistication of our society when a cartoon aimed at 6 year olds has something this intelligent in concept.

Here we are watching a cartoon, and at one point the cartoon characters watch a cartoon. Their cartoon is placed at the same distance of abstraction from them as they are from us. More, that cartoon tugs on the same strings as the one we are watching: parental loyalty in a situation of natural violence.

We are growing a set of young minds that easily understand manifold selfreference and complex multilevel ironies. And that's good. No one could have done something like this scene even a decade ago.

For some reason, this film mixes quite well with BBC's Walking With Beasts

Author: Liviatan Whale from France
1 July 2014

More or so not only because I watched the Walking With Beasts series only a few days before, I also read books about the Ice Age, went to museums that talked about the Ice Age and I also went to one of the cave replicas in France at the time, so in many ways, from 2001-2003 was sort of the "Ice Age" era of my childhood.

Everything in this film, to me, gave me all the elements of feeling like you're in an Ice Age from its rather dark grayish layout, it's focus on post KT mammals like the Mammoth and the Saber Toothed Cat, even to its soundtrack, everything felt like I went back in time, minus the humor.

Each of the primary cast holds out on their own in this film, you have Manny who's torn between his fear of humans and his maternal instincts to protect their infant, Sid who wants to be respected, and Diego who learns about helping others over taking orders. The three of them having to work together to return an infant to his clan.

My favorite parts of this film are, no prizes for guessing, the film's mascot, Scrat, a saber toothed squirrel who until the discovery of a species resembling him, was intentionally made up. His obsession over acorns not only has me earn this film more credit, but also becomes the only redeeming factor in the sequels to come.

It has a few flaws, mostly to do with having to compete with Shrek and Monsters Inc, but this film has proved to stand on its own and is worth watching with the family.

Stll cool

Author: rbn_lrk-1 from Denmark
3 November 2013

11 years had passed since the first Ice Age movie.

A group of prehistoric species are gathered after a they had found human baby from a small village.

Then the animals are going out to find the owners of the baby.

But in the wilderness they meet enemies.

Scrat the squirrel started here.

From a little sidekick to a cult idol.

The small squirrel is on constant hunt for his nuts.

And at the end the animals delivers the lost baby to his parents.

A big list of all stars actors are found.

Some are Tara Strong I had not noticed at that time.

If you like some retro CGI movies watch this movie.

The movie was worth the Oscar nomination.

Although it may not be Original we are Won Over by the Great Characters and Humor

Author: michael-colan from United States
10 November 2012

Around the early 21st century computer animated family films had really taken off. Through the recent hits of Shrek and Monster's Inc, people started seeing money in this business. So in Blue Sky's first ever animated film they may have not been very original but the film known as Ice Age has enough charm and laughs to be very acceptable.

The film takes place in the Ice Age when a sabertooth cat, a sloth and a mammoth take in the care of a lost baby and attempt to return it to the humans who have lost it.

Now the story is really a cross between Shrek and Monsters' Inc. In Shrek we have the lonely character (in this film is Manny) getting crossed in the path of a lovable idiot (Sid the Sloth) that is faced with a quest and in this film it's returning the baby. Returning the baby part is just like Monster's Inc. where the characters have to return a little girl back to her room. So really story wise the film isn't that original and it's not like a good homage, it feels a little too noticeable in places. Usually when a film does this it takes me right out of the movie but because of the characters and the funny stuff they get themselves into I can't help but ignore this "big" problem.

The characters are the best part of the film. Manny the Mammoth is the lonely character that would rather be left alone then be bothered by anyone else. He doesn't like people (or the other animals) and he really doesn't want to deal with stupid things. Yet for an animated film he has a rather deep character with a dark past that is explored in more detail later in the film. But also he is really funny making the sarcastic remarks and other smaller jokes that is really funny. Ray Romano really shines in this part and makes a mark as a different character and doesn't play Raymond Barone from Everybody Loves Raymond.

The next character is the stupid and lovable and funny Sid the Sloth. He isn't that deep of a character but he really doesn't need to be. All we need to know is that he cares a great deal about the rest of the characters and just wants to be accepted. Other than that he really is "the funny guy" and he is really funny. John Leguizamo creates a very memorable character filled with great jokes and gags and memorable lines.

The final character out of the main ones is Diego the sabertooth cat (tiger)and he is another fantastic character. He is at first set up as the villain and throughout the film you can never tell whose side he is on but you can tell that he starts to care for the other characters. Denis Leary voices him and is a great talent and a great voice. He can be serious and funny at the same time and just like the rest gives us a great show.

As a bonus we get a side character named Scrat. He is the Wild Coyote of our times. He presents us with no dialogue but a good dose of some fantastically funny slapstick humor that will always make you laugh. The character has nothing to do with the story and he is just there to give a few extra laughs and the character works.

The humor is the film is very well done. It may not be ground breaking by any means and some jokes are recycled from other films but really the rest of it works completely. We get slapstick humor, smart humor and some plan old good old fashion jokes. All work well and should be enjoyable for every age group.

There are also some good animated action sequences, some of them really fun (like the ice cave sequence) and some of them very tense and exciting. All of them of course have jokes in there even the more serious sequences with the exception of the fight at the end. These sequences are great for people of all ages and will be enjoyed by people of all ages.

Another thing the film has is a lot of heart. Throughout the film you get this theme of family and love and even loyalty along with friendship. Parts where Manny's Character is explored more is very touching and might even come as a surprise. Also near the end where we finally see Diego as he true self is also very touching and well done. Also where the characters first save the baby after the rest of the humans lose it is also very well done. In fact this film was originally supposed to a Drama instead of a family animated film but Fox would not accept it as a Drama and wanted it to be a family film. But I think a lot of the Drama Elements still carried over to the final film without being in your face about it. The film has a lot of themes and really a lot of heart which is something that is missing is a lot of recent non-computer animated films.

The animation on the film is really good too. It might not be as good as Pixar or DreamWorks buts it wasn't trying to be. The film has animation that looks very good and state of the art but it maintains a more classic animated film. So the animation is good but it's nothing grand and I think it works for a film like this.

The Bottom Line is this is a very funny animated film that has some great animated characters and is very well drawn out and funny and even though the film sometimes feels like a copy of other films the film has enough charm and touching moments to make us forget about it.

Final Score

A heart-warmer for a movie about the Ice Age

Author: julcltr (julcltr@telus.net) from Canada
22 May 2010

Being only a kid when I first saw this, I didn't know what to expect. I had never heard the name of this movie, and being brought into this world when classic animation was still "in" (and thankfully being brought back), computer animation was still new to me at the time. So, I went to the theatre having so-so expectations, and I walked out smiling. But... now I look at it today, and occasionally I find myself reaching for a tissue. The story is so well told that I found myself laughing at most of Sid's antics, and Scrat's, which have never gotten old for this movie by the way... ever. But, now being old enough to understand, I also found that the implied, but still tragic, death of Manny's family being revealed is one of the saddest moments in this beautifully animated film. Nonetheless, it is still a great movie that has an even better message for kids, and a few in-jokes for adults, too.

Ice Age: The only 2002 film that is not Sylvialess

Author: Starfiremyst from United States
15 April 2008

"Ice Age" is one of the cartoon movies ever produced by Blue Sky Studios and released in 2002 as the company's first. We are introduced to the main characters: a squirrel named Scrat (voiced by Chris Wedge, AND PLEASE NOTE: the sound of Scrat's screams is the sound of Tom's screams from the "Tom and Jerry" cartoons), a woolly mammoth named Manny (voiced by Ray Romano of "Everybody Loves Raymond"), a sloth named Sid (voiced by John Leguizamo of "Titan A. E."), and a saber toothed tiger named Diego (voiced by Denis Leary of Pixar's "A Bug's Life").

The movie opens with Scrat trying to bury an acorn and right after that, he caused an avalanche. We then see a herd going south for the coming Ice Age (except for Manny, who is going the other way looking for other mammoths that looked like him). Sid comes out of his cave yawning, and saw that his family abandoned him. He then pays toll with some aardvarks. Unfortunately, he gets pursued by Sylvia (voiced by Kirsten Johnston of "3rd Rock from the Sun"), a female orange sloth, who wants Sid to go migrating with her. Sid eventually teams up with Manny, and they became friends.

Meanwhile, nearby a human tribe, Soto (voiced by Goran Visnjic), an evil saber toothed tiger, wants revenge against the tribe's leader for wiping out half of his pack just by stealing his infant son, Roshan, away from him. In the morning, he, Diego, and Soto's henchmen, Lenny (voiced by Alan Tudyk), Oscar (voiced by Diedrich Bader), and Zeke (voiced by Jack Black) attacked the tribe, but the leader's wife escaped with Roshan and gave him to Manny and Sid to look after. Eventually, Diego joins them, and went on a journey to return Roshan back to his tribe, who are also looking for him as well. Relax and watch the rest of the movie and find out, okay? Besides Manny, Sid, Diego, Scrat, Sylvia, and Roshan, the supporting characters in there including a pack of wolves that Roshan's tribe are using, and not to mention a fat female purple sloth named Jennifer (voiced by Jane Krakowski), and a skinny female yellow sloth named Rachel (voiced by Lorri Bagley), to whom Sid shows them Roshan as they relax in a tar pit. Incidentally, the two rhinos, Carl (voiced by Cedric The Entertainer of PDI's "Madagascar"), and Frank (voiced by Stephen Root of Pixar's "Finding Nemo"), who go after Sid for ruining their meal and confront Manny on a cliff, are simple minor characters. Same went for the dodos, who are using melons as their food supply.

The gags in this movie are very funny. For instance, Manny talks through his trunk saying, "I'M NOT GOING!" When Jennifer and Rachel are out of the tar pit, Sid asks Jennifer "What do you say if we jump into the gene pool and see what happens?" Jennifer then responds to him, "What do you say if you go jump into the TAR PIT!?" Rachel also then kicks Sid in the waist. Sylvia sees Diego holding Sid by the neck with his teeth, then she asks Sid if he's holding his breath, tells Diego to eat him, and promptly walks off.

Since "Ice Age" is not only a success, but it has 2 sequels: the first one was "Ice Age: The Meltdown", which was released in 2006, and the other was "Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs", which is going to be releasing next year. I can hardly die waiting to see what "Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs" will be like.

Ice Age!

Author: Movie Nuttball from U.S.A.
16 November 2004

This is a fantastic animated movie starring Denis Leary, John Leguizamo, and Ray Romano. Leary plays the Saber-Tooth Tiger Diego, Romano play the huge Wooly Mammoth, and Leguizamo plays the Prehistoric Sloth. All of these actors play these wonderful characters excellently! Each and every individual has a great personality and they look accurate and real. The animation is flawless! It crisp, clean, and clear! Just beautiful! Everything looks so realistic! The movie is hilarious as well. The bonus animated short called Scrat's Missing Adventure is a very funny treat! The music by David Newman is very good. If you are fan of the cast mentioned above and like the animated feature Dinosaur then I strongly recommend that you do what I did and buy this wonderful film today!

Page 2 of 47:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]