IMDb > The Elm-Chanted Forest (1986) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

The Elm-Chanted Forest More at IMDbPro »Cudesna suma (original title)

The Elmchanted what?

Author: vegeta3986 from United States
2 August 2006

This is one of those movies that, before IMDb, the only thing proving that this movie actually existed was the fact that you had a physical copy of it. I can't tell you how many times i've asked "have you seen the elmchanted forest?" and people ask me "what the hell is that?" i have yet to meet ANYONE who's seen this movie besides my sister, and that's a real shame. Being another one of those forgotten small animation company movies, it was quite good. Searching on IMDb, i can see that no one ever got VA work after this movie, and i don't know why O_O. During this movie we get to meet characters i still remember to this day. Peter, Buddy Bear, Thistle, Cactus King....they're all great. i remember that the mushroom song kinda freaked me out though when i was little.... <_< still, the Voicing was pretty good, the animation quality was not that bad for 1986, and the story was pretty good as well as the music. Some of the voices and lines were classics. i don't think i'll ever forget "did you say.....did you say...BEAVERRRR?!?" This movie really reminds me of my childhood, and it really was a memorable movie. This movie helps the catcus king flower, with an 8, out of 10

Weird, weird... but damn hilarious & entertaining

Author: Emily (Newberrybrothers) from Denver, CO
19 December 2001

I saw this movie when I was about 10 years old and I swear it's one of my favorite childhood movies. I dont think I quite understood at the time the true hilarity of it (is it just me, or were the writers/artists on drugs?). But it is truly a memorable movie and something I happen to own. It is available on half.com for ordering. On top of all that, I do think it is a very moral and entertaining movie for kids about respecting the elements and nature. Thumbs up!!!

I saw this movie too!!

Author: AllyJ2 from United States
26 August 2005

I remember I saw this movie when I was little and then I would watch it over and over again. I too can remember every detail of this movie, it is engraved in my memory. I loved it and I haven't seen it anywhere recently. My sister and I always talk about this movie and another quite similar called "Katy the Caterpillar". Although "Katy the Caterpillar" is in Spanish both dealt with finding your true self in order to achieve what you were meant to do. These movies are from our childhood. If anyone gets to see this movie enjoy it...it is very good. The film is kind of weird but very fun to watch, I believe many children, (now adults) who have seen it will agree with this. The movie takes you into a magical world that only children understand I hope that if I see today I will still have that same experience. I also remember that the fact that the main character could suddenly paint beautifully made me want to paint. I would get a paint brush and water colors and begin my master piece :)

Croatian gem

Author: lokotus from Croatia
2 November 2010

I've seen the movie in both English and Croatian dub and I clearly understand the negative view. English translation and dub made a big mistake. Character names are wrong and much of the story is lost.

On the other hand the Croatian dub is excellent. Animation is OK for late 80's and you should take into consideration that film was made with a low budget.

I remember music being the big part of this film and seeing English version really showed how re-dubbing just makes things worse.

This is a true Croatian animation gem that should get it's deserved appreciation. If anyone has a big desire to see the film, I recommend you see it in its true form.

A great story full of adventure and triumph....

Author: k_clyde22 from United States
2 April 2008

I had the pleasure of seeing this film as a young child. It's impact on me had been so intense, that as an adult now I added this film to my Netflix Que. I highly recommend this film to anyone under the age of 12, as well as anyone who just loves fantasy and whimsy. True adults know when to be a kid..... I digress, although in this day and age movies and cartoons are more advanced, most lack decent plots or actual meaning. You will find that Elmchanted Forest even though created so long ago, has both a great plot and morals that till this day should be taught. If you like good vs bad, talking animals and plants, forgiveness and friendship as well as a zany twist on a story like Rip Van Winkle, then I know you will enjoy this story as much as I have. Maybe even more??

A Curiosity

Author: Cylex from England
7 July 2001

A painter falls asleep under a enchanted elm and is granted special powers. For a short time he is able to paint magically and to communicate with plants, animals & forest gods. He joins forces with a beaver, a bear, a trio of hedgehogs & a thistle to defeat the evil Cactus King.

It's odd. Very odd. You should see it. My rating 7/10

Finally the name!!

Author: weddingplnnr from United States
15 April 2009

I don't understand how anyone can say that this movie deserves a 1 as, unless they have no imagination, with all due respect, it is a children's movie. I have been trying to remember the name of this movie for years, and like most have always though it was the Enchanted Forest, recently I taped Once Upon A Forest on my Tivo. I thought maybe that was it, but alas I was wrong. That's when IMDb comes in and saves me. Now all I have to do is find a copy of this movie, I can't wait to watch it, I hope its been remastered onto DVD..if not...it could make someone a lot of money hint hint! I am so glad I figured this out, could have led to lots of sleepless night. Its a very good movie, with a wonderful moral, and I think everyone should watch it at least once.

wonderful politically incorrect fable

Author: alpha13 from Massachusetts
22 October 2007

This is about a painter who wakes up under a tree to finds out he can talk to the animals and to the other things in the forest when he paints a creature there image appears on his canvas. I found A VHS of this at the salvation army store I remember this was on the Disney channel In the 90's I haven't seen this in a long time I knew I had to get this. It reminds me of a kid friendly light version of wizards it might not be appropriate for this age. I have to warn you this is pretty dated There are brown hip hop dancing mushrooms that look like African natives LSD/acid trips A pub were alcohol is served like water you can tell it's beer it's yellow and has foam there's also occult magic and witch craft. The painter has to fight the evil cactus king and use a potion to make him good . this is A must see for everyone accept if your a fundamentalist conservative then don't go near it run away.

I'm glad *someone* else remembers this...

Author: Matt Barry from Baltimore, Maryland
28 August 2001

What just made me think of this movie? I haven't seen I was two years old, on TV. At least someone else on the IMDb here remembers it. And yes, it is very odd. The strangest part is, that I remember every part of this movie very clearly, even though it's been fifteen years since I saw it. I imagine it's not available on DVD.

So amazingly bad that you have to watch it

Author: imdb_spams from United States
3 March 2005

Why did I rate this 5/10? Its a compromise, because The Elm Chanted Forest is so awful that it lands squarely in 1/10 territory, but it's awfulness is so unique that everyone should see it.

I saw this for the first time in '88. I lived in the hills of Appalahia where we only had 2 fuzzy UHF stations, no cable, and the local video store did double duty as a grocery store. For some reason, this video store only stocked the craziest foreign kid's cartoons I've ever heard of. My parents didn't care that they were renting us Afghanistan's finest, as long as it shut me and my brothers up for 90 minutes.

Enter Elm Chanted Forest.

The writers gave the characters names like "J. Edgar Beaver", "Michael J. Mushroom", and "Barron Burr". So what does J. Edgar Beaver have to do with the late cross-dressing head of the FBI that he's named after? Not much until you smoke six or seven big bags of crack. What does a black, ghetto-rapping mushroom have to do with the skinny, sarcastic white actor that he's named after? Your guess is as good as mine.

You have horrible musical numbers, a mind-numbing plot, and characters that are so over-the-top painful to watch that the whole movie is like a gigantic train wreck -- you'd never wish it to happen, but when it does you should slow down and take a look at it.