IMDb > Scooby-Doo (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Scooby-Doo

Scooby-Doo More at IMDbPro »

Page 12 of 52: [Prev][7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [Next]

Driving around in a van and solving mysteries... ***1/2 stars (out of five)

Author: dee.reid from United States
20 October 2002

First off, I would like to begin this by saying I watched and somewhat enjoyed the cheesy 70's cartoon this film is based on. "Scooby-Doo" itself is not a bad film, but not a great one either. I personally do not think this film will appeal to anyone who never watched the cartoon. That is why I think Roger Ebert had such a difficult time reviewing "Scooby-Doo". That is also why I think people who hated the movie most likely never watched the cartoon. I admit that I thought "Scooby-Doo" would not amount to much either, but if you sit down and actually watch it, fun will be had.

I think that what people do not understand about "Scooby-Doo", is that it is intentionally campy. Part of the fun of watching the cartoon was being able to accept the camp humor and cheesy plot lines. The acting in the movie is terrible as well, but it was done that way because that is what most films and cartoons that were popular at that time were like. What "Scooby-Doo" is trying to do is to recapture that 70's camp.

Speaking of the camp, the special effects in the movie are so laughably bad, that you can not help but praise them. The films humor consists mostly of burping/farting jokes and other slapstick. As I already mentioned, the acting isn't very good either. In fact, most of the actors seem seriously miscast, with the exception of Matthew Lillard, who plays Shaggy. Not only does he look the part, but he sounds and acts like him too. The same goes to Linda Cardellini, who plays Velma.

Now I was born in 1985, which was nearly a decade after the cartoon was in its prime. I can't say that when I was younger, that I fully understood everything about this cartoon. I'm 17 now, and I have heard a lot about the cartoon that may change anyone's viewing of it, even my own. The characters are a lot different in the movie than they were in the cartoon. But I guess that was part of being able to successfully bring the characters to the big screen. Fred is no longer the all-out jock he once was, Daphne seems a lot dumber and less of a snob, Velma actually displays emotions, but Shaggy and Scooby are just the same.

To clear some things up, Shaggy and Scooby are potheads. Why do you think they are so hungry all the time? Also why do you think Shaggy said that he likes the name "Mary Jane" so much? The report of one particular deleted scene with Velma getting drunk and singing a love song to Daphne should also give a hint to her sexual orientation. Lastly, Fred and Daphne are dating. (This fact is helped along by the news that Freddie Prinze Jr. and Sarah Michelle Gellar are married in real life.)

P.S.: You also won't want to miss the performance by Sugar Ray or miss the countless OutKast beats playing in the background either.

I was surprisingly impressed.

Author: zelrick (zelrick@hotmail.com) from Ontario, Canada
20 October 2002

I rented this movie out of mere curiosity... and was, frankly, expecting it to be pretty lame. I was surprised to find myself enjoying it.

First and foremost.. Mathew Lilliard. There could not have been a better choice for Shaggy. He alone sent me reeling with nostalgia. Velma, Fred, Daphne... all were fairly well cast, though personally I think at the least Daphne and Fred could have been cast with better likenesses of their cartoon predecessors.

As a stand alone movie it probably wouldn't fare very well... except perhaps for kids. My nephew seems to love it. But for those of us that don't mind the occasional trip down memory lane, its not bad at all.

My only real complaint about the film is the Scooby Doo character himself. Possibly as a result of having an animation star side by side with real actors, the character seems dimished... and I could almost say that Scooby seemed to have more character substance in the cartoons.

I was surprisingly impressed.

Author: zelrick (zelrick@hotmail.com) from Ontario, Canada

what did you expect?

Author: kayebtoyz from usa
19 October 2002

As a long time huge fan of most of the Scooby-Doo serieses (except for the ones that had Scrappy in them), I loved this movie. I laughed so hard through the whole thing that I almost didn't even notice the woman sitting behind me get a call on her cell phone. Most of the people that I know who knocked this movie weren't fans of the show. I said to them the same thing that I said to people who walked out of South Park: Bigger, Better, Uncut - "What did you expect?!" I wasn't disappointed by this movie at all. Even the less than perfect Scooby was acceptable. Dogs and Cats had the best talking animals in it that I've seen, but this may have been to realistic for a movie based on this particular cartoon. I mean, how many voices did Casey Kasem do for that show anyway? To keep this short, if you loved the campy-ness of the cartoons, you'll love this movie. If you thought the cartoons were bad, I don't want to read how you thought this was a waste of time and money. Honestly, what do you expect?

I had a good time

Author: (billybrown41@hotmail.com) from Kimberling City, MO.
19 October 2002

Yep, That's right, I actually dug this one. Here is another "T.V. to bigscreen" attempt and unlike many others, I felt that Scooby was done right. While many have been whining about how "stupid" it is, I still went ahead and got the dvd and I wasn't surprised at all when I came out loving it. What more could you want from a Scooby Doo movie? EVERYTHING that made the series so wonderful is here and they even added a few new elements.

As far as the acting, everyone here pulled it off. I'm not a fan of Freddie Prinze Jr., but he did a great job as the boring and terminally lame Fred. Sarah Michelle Geller managed to do a respectable job with Daphne, but Linda Cardellini put her to shame as Velma. I have a feeling that we're going to see a lot more of this gal. She's good.

The one actor who really stood out (and yes, I know I'm not the first person to address this) was Matthew Lillard as Shaggy. This guy must OWN every Scooby Doo episode ever done because he IS Shaggy. His performance is so drop-dead perfect, it's almost scary in itself. To me, this was his best performance since SLC Punk (loved that one). It's hard to believe that this is the same guy.

Now, onto my favorite part of the film: Scooby himself. The CG Scooby rocks. There would have been a real problem had the film-makers used a real dog, so everyone needs to quite bitching about the way Scooby looked here. His dialogue ("Ramburgers!?") is hilarious and his facial expressions are adorable. He blends in with the live actors perfectly and I'm sure I had a big smile on my face everytime he was on screen.

My only real complaints about the movie are minor. First off, I thought the fart contest was a little too juvenile for my tastes (they never did that in the show!), but I'm sure that the younger audiences enjoyed it. My second complaint is almost unforgivable...almost. I guess you just have to understand my hatred for this band, but having Sugar Ray make a cameo appearrance wasn't just a STUPID idea, it's downright disgraceful to have such a worthless band tarnish such an otherwise great movie. I know that this movie was geared for a younger audience but PLEASE, (to the film-makers) don't encourage such bad taste.

With my biased opinion aside, I can honestly say that this 22 year old guy had a great time with Scooby Doo and is anxiously awaiting the sequel (despite catching mucho hell from my girlfriend). If you love the show, you'll love the movie.

What film were you trying to be?

Author: Mike Nolan from Tallahassee
19 October 2002

The problem with this film is that it was trying to be a children's film and an adult pastiche at the same time. The humor from the original cartoon was how the counter culture and unconsciously seeped into what is supposed to be a children's cartoon. Although seemingly innocent, many of the cartoons funniest moments come when a seemingly innocent remark has a double meaning that may or may not have been intended by the original creators. This movie does not have that whatsoever, yet the set up for those kind of jokes are THERE, as if they were written and filmed, yet cut in the editing process to adhere to a supposedly "kid-friendly" audience. In all, this movie blew. Freddie Prinze Jr. can't act his way out of a paper bag. The only reason to watch this film- Mathew Lillard as Shaggy. That's It.

Those who hate it apparently need a new sense of humor...

Author: musachan
16 October 2002

This movie was shockingly good - I, a Scooby-Doo fan, thought it was going to be nothing but crude humor and revealing shots of Sarah's ass for 86 minutes. Luckily, it was not. It was a witty, funny movie with a plot they could have done away with. The pokes and jabs and even kung-fu kicks at pop-culture were more than enough to keep me entertained. Matthew, Linda and Rowan did fantastic jobs (how funny was Mondovarius?), and Sarah was a pretty cute and peppy Daphne. I actually kind of like this version of her better. Anyway, this movie deserves a good rent (on DVD, if possible) for any Scooby-Doo fan. If you hate it, get your sense of humor a tune-up, because it's in desperate need

Opinion of a non-Scoobyist

Author: Mort-31 from Vienna, Austria
16 October 2002

I saw the cartoon series when I was a child but I didn't remember anything of it. Then I went to see the new real life movie (with the dog still animated) with two friends who had similar Scooby experiences (that is practically none). We could figure out how the series works (e. g. that Daphne always gets caught and that Velma is the smart one aso.), and interestingly, we could more easily laugh about the inside jokes than about actual gags like Shaggy and Scooby farting and belching around.

The set decoration is very colourful, almost gaudy but I guess this has to be so to make the animated dog appear relatively realistic.

Rowan Atkinson is wonderful – not only by his British accent he stands out from the rest of the cast, who (this has to be admitted) seem to be well chosen concerning their optical appearance. By the way, the three of us agreed that – unless he wasn't necessary for the final development of the story – the most annoying character in the movie would be that stupid dog (sorry, fans)! They should have taken Melvin Doo instead!

Entertaining, ironic, and stupid! I like.

Author: Muffy St. Bernard (muffysb@hotmail.com) from Kitchener, Ontario
15 October 2002

I rented it because I wanted to watch something colourful, pointless and stupid. "Scooby-Doo" is all those things, for sure...but it's also highly entertaining and funny, which was a complete surprise.

It seems to be a Hollywood trend to take the TV Shows and cartoons we watched as children and remake them in an ironic way. Scooby-Doo is no exception, where everything we suspected about the characters when we watched the cartoon -- Fred being vain, Daphne being an airhead, Velma being repressed and badly in need of therapy, Scrappy being an obnoxious egotist, and Shaggy eating so much because he had some sort of drug issues -- is brought to the front. The movie is not so much about the mystery the gang is solving, it's about making fun of the things that weren't supposed to be funny in the cartoon. And while some of those things are easy targets ("It would have worked if it wasn't for..."), the script had me laughing over and over again at it's more-ironic-than-thou cleverness.

A lot of credit goes to Matthew Lillard and Linda Cardellini. Lillard as Shaggy is such a perfect carbon copy that I almost felt like punching him. And Cardellini has Velma down pat, right down to that self-satisfied sideways glance when she's exposing a mystery. Freddy Prinze and Sarah Michelle Geller were passable, and it was only the computer animated Scooby that really annoyed me: he was just too high-tech, I felt.

In my opinion the movie succeeded most when it was subtle (like the bartender telling Velma that he likes her sweater, and her giggling about Scrappy's glandular problem). Was it obvious I thought Velma kicked butt? She was the only one I liked in the cartoon and I'm thrilled that she was so perfectly reproduced.

The bonus materials are great. I much prefer the animated opening that they cut out, and Velma's "Invasion Of The Body Snatchers" scream was hilarious, as was her cabaret number.

So, the movie is funny. Sometimes it's insufferably juvenile and stupid, and sometimes it will strike the adult viewer as a bit too childish, but the movie does what it set out to do: it entertains you, and it pokes clever fun at infamous cultural icons. Expect nothing more than that and you'll have a good time with it.

MUCH funnier than I thought it would be!

Author: AllisonLVenezio from Jersey shore, USA
12 October 2002

Although I grew up in the 1980s (born in October 1982--I'm almost 20) and my generation loved the "Scooby Doo" cartoons of te 1960s and 70s, I was never completely into them, it was more of my brother's bag than mine. But this movie broke all my misconceptions of America's favorite animated canine. What actually was just an attempt for me to stare at the gorgeous Freddie Prinze Jr. turned out to be a worthwhile watch.

When mysterious happenings begin occuring at Scary Island, its up to the defunct Mystery Inc. to solve the case.

After Fred (Freddie Prinze Jr.), Daphne (Sarah Michelle Gellar), Shaggy (Matthew Lilard) and Velma (Linda Cardelini) go their own ways, and wind up reuniting in the airport, the team decides to go together to solve the case, which involves zombie-like teenagers at the unusual resort of Scary Island. What is actually happening is that the teen's souls are being removed from their bodies and aliens are taking control of them, using the bodies to withstand sunlight. Shaggy and Scooby must save the day when Fred, Velma, and Daphne have their soles stolen. It's not gonna be easy, but Mystery Inc. can do anything.

I assumed this would be as annoying and trippy as the original cartoon, but it was actually hysterical. I always thought of myself as kinda like Daphne, but I realized how stupid she really was. Now, I kind of relate to Velma, whose smart but cool at the same time. The actors were SO good in their parts, and I loved Freddie Prinze Jr. as Fred. He was so gorgeous!!!!!!! Sarah Michelle Gellar really played Daphne like an airhead, Matthew Lillard was TOO GOOD as Shaggy (Even sounded like him!!!), and Linda Cardelini resembled Velma, even though I hardly know who she is.

My absolute favorite parts were the part in the airport, the flashback scene where Scrappy Doo pees on Daphne, and the part where the gang keeps accidentally switching bodies over the cool artifact. Shaggy kept checking out Velma's body. Yikes. LOL!!!

I highly recommend giving this movie a chance, because it is really funny. A bit silly at times, but still very funny. The actors are great, and the ending is very funny.

So go ahead, pile your hands up, raise em high in the air, and scream "Woo-hoo!" Definitely see this, you will not regret it!!!