IMDb > Scooby-Doo (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Scooby-Doo

Scooby-Doo More at IMDbPro »

Page 12 of 53: [Prev][7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [Next]

Not nearly as bad as you'd expect

Author: Bryce Rumbles from Baltimore, Maryland
28 October 2002

This wasn't the worst movie ever -- in fact, I think it was better than the cartoon, but I absolutely HATE the cartoon. My kids hoodwinked me into renting this, but it surprised me. The CGI Scooby stunk, but at least he was a better actor than the Hanna-Barbera version. Matt Lilliard was excellent as Shaggy, and it was great to see Scrappy get his comeuppance. And Linda Carlentino and Sarah Michelle Gellar are always a pleasure to watch.

Freddie Prinze Jr. did well with an unplayable part.

Overall, a five -- when I fully expected it to be a one.

fun, some real highs, some real misfires

Author: FieCrier from Upstate New York
27 October 2002

Matthew Lillard is very convincing and charismatic as Shaggy, and Linda Cardelini does almost as good a job inhabiting Velma. Scooby takes some getting using to initially, but does a good job carrying the movie that bears his name.

Freddie Prinze Jr. is a real miscasting of Fred, and is very nearly awful. Only occasionally does he get the voice right - very rarely (though at least he tries), and in terms of body type he is just wrong. Likewise, Sarah Geller barely recalls the character of Daphne. She never gets the voice right; doesn't even try to play anyone except herself and in this respect is the worst casting choice of the crew.

The music is the other misfire. The instantly recognizable incidental music from the TV show is missing here. The music used, rotten pop dreck which will date itself almost instantly and fail at being camp really detracts from the movie. While it is too much to hope for that the dreadful Prinze and Geller will be recast for the sequel, one hopes that a musical director with better taste will be in charge of the soundtrack next time.

The movie is fun though, and Lillard's Shaggy in particular makes it worthwhile to fans of the show.

Crude, Campy, & Funny

Author: Jeff Timmons (pywrit@pywrit.com) from Hillsdale, MI
26 October 2002

When I sat down to watch this movie, I wasn't sure what to expect. I had heard so many people say it sucks, and so many others say it was a riot. After reviews like that and having seen every episode of Scooby up until the point that Scrappy made his presence known, I had to see it for myself. While there are plenty of slow spots, there are some outright funny parts. The flatulence contest, while very crude, definitely appealed to my less mature side. I was just about rolling on the floor howling. And what can you say when smoke is rolling out of The Mystery Machine and Matt Lillard as Shaggy (as one reviewer perfectly put it, it is as if he was genetically created to play this part) while grilling some bread shouts "Talk about toasted!" One would have to be very dimwitted to have missed this reference and not laughed (excepting the prude of the bunch). I really think Sarah Michelle should have been given large, flowing, red hair like the cartoon Daphne, and FP Jr. just doesn't have the build to quite pull off Freddie completely. Linda Cardellini as Velma, however, if perfectly cast and plays the part perfectly (not to mention she's far prettier than SMG). This movie combines plenty of tongue-in-cheek humor amongst a plethora of sight gags that makes it work overall, despite the shortcomings in casting. The CG Scooby I think works quite well as making the Great Dane look real might have made it just a little too difficult to suspend disbelief long enough to enjoy the movie at all. James Gunn, screenwriter and co-writer of the original story and a good SF writer, does an adequate job at this, though I think parts of his humor fall just a bit flat. All-in-All, on the pywrit scale of 1-10, this one gets a 7. Not perfect, but ultimately watchable and enjoyable with plenty of good, gut-busting laughs. And an "oh yeah." It's great to see that little Scrappy get his comeuppance.

o my god

Author: Ashley (ShortCuteBlonde) from USA
25 October 2002

i dont know why every channel is trying to bring back a great show and a mistake they made 30 years ago, the original scooby doo show was fine by itself, it didnt need a movie, which by the way i thought was awful, they have a "new scooby doo" on channels now and it just makes me mad because i love scooby doo, i have been watching the re runs since i was 5 years old, i love the show and if they chose to take the show off the air 30 years ago, thats their fault and they need to stop trying to bring it back

I was surprisingly impressed.

Author: zelrick (zelrick@hotmail.com) from Ontario, Canada
20 October 2002

I rented this movie out of mere curiosity... and was, frankly, expecting it to be pretty lame. I was surprised to find myself enjoying it.

First and foremost.. Mathew Lilliard. There could not have been a better choice for Shaggy. He alone sent me reeling with nostalgia. Velma, Fred, Daphne... all were fairly well cast, though personally I think at the least Daphne and Fred could have been cast with better likenesses of their cartoon predecessors.

As a stand alone movie it probably wouldn't fare very well... except perhaps for kids. My nephew seems to love it. But for those of us that don't mind the occasional trip down memory lane, its not bad at all.

My only real complaint about the film is the Scooby Doo character himself. Possibly as a result of having an animation star side by side with real actors, the character seems dimished... and I could almost say that Scooby seemed to have more character substance in the cartoons.

I was surprisingly impressed.

Author: zelrick (zelrick@hotmail.com) from Ontario, Canada
20 October 2002

Driving around in a van and solving mysteries... ***1/2 stars (out of five)

Author: dee.reid from United States
20 October 2002

First off, I would like to begin this by saying I watched and somewhat enjoyed the cheesy 70's cartoon this film is based on. "Scooby-Doo" itself is not a bad film, but not a great one either. I personally do not think this film will appeal to anyone who never watched the cartoon. That is why I think Roger Ebert had such a difficult time reviewing "Scooby-Doo". That is also why I think people who hated the movie most likely never watched the cartoon. I admit that I thought "Scooby-Doo" would not amount to much either, but if you sit down and actually watch it, fun will be had.

I think that what people do not understand about "Scooby-Doo", is that it is intentionally campy. Part of the fun of watching the cartoon was being able to accept the camp humor and cheesy plot lines. The acting in the movie is terrible as well, but it was done that way because that is what most films and cartoons that were popular at that time were like. What "Scooby-Doo" is trying to do is to recapture that 70's camp.

Speaking of the camp, the special effects in the movie are so laughably bad, that you can not help but praise them. The films humor consists mostly of burping/farting jokes and other slapstick. As I already mentioned, the acting isn't very good either. In fact, most of the actors seem seriously miscast, with the exception of Matthew Lillard, who plays Shaggy. Not only does he look the part, but he sounds and acts like him too. The same goes to Linda Cardellini, who plays Velma.

Now I was born in 1985, which was nearly a decade after the cartoon was in its prime. I can't say that when I was younger, that I fully understood everything about this cartoon. I'm 17 now, and I have heard a lot about the cartoon that may change anyone's viewing of it, even my own. The characters are a lot different in the movie than they were in the cartoon. But I guess that was part of being able to successfully bring the characters to the big screen. Fred is no longer the all-out jock he once was, Daphne seems a lot dumber and less of a snob, Velma actually displays emotions, but Shaggy and Scooby are just the same.

To clear some things up, Shaggy and Scooby are potheads. Why do you think they are so hungry all the time? Also why do you think Shaggy said that he likes the name "Mary Jane" so much? The report of one particular deleted scene with Velma getting drunk and singing a love song to Daphne should also give a hint to her sexual orientation. Lastly, Fred and Daphne are dating. (This fact is helped along by the news that Freddie Prinze Jr. and Sarah Michelle Gellar are married in real life.)

P.S.: You also won't want to miss the performance by Sugar Ray or miss the countless OutKast beats playing in the background either.

I had a good time

Author: (billybrown41@hotmail.com) from Kimberling City, MO.
19 October 2002

Yep, That's right, I actually dug this one. Here is another "T.V. to bigscreen" attempt and unlike many others, I felt that Scooby was done right. While many have been whining about how "stupid" it is, I still went ahead and got the dvd and I wasn't surprised at all when I came out loving it. What more could you want from a Scooby Doo movie? EVERYTHING that made the series so wonderful is here and they even added a few new elements.

As far as the acting, everyone here pulled it off. I'm not a fan of Freddie Prinze Jr., but he did a great job as the boring and terminally lame Fred. Sarah Michelle Geller managed to do a respectable job with Daphne, but Linda Cardellini put her to shame as Velma. I have a feeling that we're going to see a lot more of this gal. She's good.

The one actor who really stood out (and yes, I know I'm not the first person to address this) was Matthew Lillard as Shaggy. This guy must OWN every Scooby Doo episode ever done because he IS Shaggy. His performance is so drop-dead perfect, it's almost scary in itself. To me, this was his best performance since SLC Punk (loved that one). It's hard to believe that this is the same guy.

Now, onto my favorite part of the film: Scooby himself. The CG Scooby rocks. There would have been a real problem had the film-makers used a real dog, so everyone needs to quite bitching about the way Scooby looked here. His dialogue ("Ramburgers!?") is hilarious and his facial expressions are adorable. He blends in with the live actors perfectly and I'm sure I had a big smile on my face everytime he was on screen.

My only real complaints about the movie are minor. First off, I thought the fart contest was a little too juvenile for my tastes (they never did that in the show!), but I'm sure that the younger audiences enjoyed it. My second complaint is almost unforgivable...almost. I guess you just have to understand my hatred for this band, but having Sugar Ray make a cameo appearrance wasn't just a STUPID idea, it's downright disgraceful to have such a worthless band tarnish such an otherwise great movie. I know that this movie was geared for a younger audience but PLEASE, (to the film-makers) don't encourage such bad taste.

With my biased opinion aside, I can honestly say that this 22 year old guy had a great time with Scooby Doo and is anxiously awaiting the sequel (despite catching mucho hell from my girlfriend). If you love the show, you'll love the movie.

What film were you trying to be?

Author: Mike Nolan from Tallahassee
19 October 2002

The problem with this film is that it was trying to be a children's film and an adult pastiche at the same time. The humor from the original cartoon was how the counter culture and unconsciously seeped into what is supposed to be a children's cartoon. Although seemingly innocent, many of the cartoons funniest moments come when a seemingly innocent remark has a double meaning that may or may not have been intended by the original creators. This movie does not have that whatsoever, yet the set up for those kind of jokes are THERE, as if they were written and filmed, yet cut in the editing process to adhere to a supposedly "kid-friendly" audience. In all, this movie blew. Freddie Prinze Jr. can't act his way out of a paper bag. The only reason to watch this film- Mathew Lillard as Shaggy. That's It.

what did you expect?

Author: kayebtoyz from usa
19 October 2002

As a long time huge fan of most of the Scooby-Doo serieses (except for the ones that had Scrappy in them), I loved this movie. I laughed so hard through the whole thing that I almost didn't even notice the woman sitting behind me get a call on her cell phone. Most of the people that I know who knocked this movie weren't fans of the show. I said to them the same thing that I said to people who walked out of South Park: Bigger, Better, Uncut - "What did you expect?!" I wasn't disappointed by this movie at all. Even the less than perfect Scooby was acceptable. Dogs and Cats had the best talking animals in it that I've seen, but this may have been to realistic for a movie based on this particular cartoon. I mean, how many voices did Casey Kasem do for that show anyway? To keep this short, if you loved the campy-ness of the cartoons, you'll love this movie. If you thought the cartoons were bad, I don't want to read how you thought this was a waste of time and money. Honestly, what do you expect?