IMDb > "Rurouni Kenshin" (1996/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Rurouni Kenshin"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Rurouni Kenshin" More at IMDbPro »

Legends of the Wanderer

Author: SoulfulFX from Virginia
13 August 2003

This is a truly fantastic series... dramatic characters, a hero that is capable of huge mood swings (from goofy, to romantic, to blood thirsty), and female characters that you would swear your life to protect or swear..well... I must be civil.

Great sword-fighting actions scenes, a drop of history (it takes place in the 1870s), and some philosophizing about living a life of violence versus peace make this series cover the gamut of emotions a viewer wants from any series, not just anime.

I hope everyone can take notice of this story, it is not for everyone, but it hits so many points relevant to our current world order: from terrorism (bad guys attacking the fragile government), to being able to look at the world as something other than a battlefield (Kenshin vowing not to kill after so many years as an assassin).

Love it!!!

Author: dezzie-jane from United States
1 February 2007

I must say that this is THE BEST ANIME I have EVER seen!!! It definitely is the perfect mix of romance, story, history, mystery, and all other good things all rolled into one series!

I especially love it because of its strong storyline and characters. Every character has a history and this anime has been created in a way that allows them to show you that background on each character, making each character all the more interesting. I also like the subtle romance it portrays and the way that it intertwines real Japanese history with fiction - that was probably the best part, actually.

Anyway, from the first episode, I was hooked...I was so hooked, I finished the series within like a month and half. Now, I'm on to reading the manga, which is just as good as the anime. This is one anime that I can watch over and over and not get bored of!

Master of anime and of the sword

Author: SoulfulFX from Virginia
17 August 2003

This is one of the greatest anime series I have ever seen. I have been introduced anime on relatively recently...1997 at earliest. In that time, I've gotten my hands on a number of really good and really bad shows. Kenshin is definitely among the best.

The dynamic emotions of Kenshin himself as well as the mix of humor and philosophy of life vs. death in the show make it exceptionally entertaining and captivating.

The mutual devotion between Kenshin and his friends, Kaoru, Sanoske, Yahiko, etc... is amazing to watch as it develops and is put to the test.

The sadistic enemies, and the foolish ones, all provide foils that drive the plot and cause the viewer to be moved as Kenshin struggles to throw off his murderous past in favor of a life defending his honor, his friends, and the innocent.

If you are a long time anime-buff, or a new fan of the genre...this series is a must-see.

One of the best animes there is, and the best of its kind

Author: GGrievous from Lisbon, Portugal
10 September 2007

I first saw this great anime when I was about 10 or 11 years old, and by that time I didn't know what anime was so I didn't care much about this series...I mean, I liked it but for me it was just another show on TV. Now, 8 years later, I get the chance of rewatch this series again, and I came the conclusion: This is a truly fantastic series!!!! It has great sword fighting actions scenes, a hero that is capable of huge mood swings (I love kenshin's goofy faces), some real history, dramatic characters, a great story and the music is superb. One thing I did like is the fact that the main character, Kenshin, never kills the opponent and have good sense of moral. Kenshin is one of the best characters in anime history in my opinion, and Shishio, the mummy guy as some people know him, is by far the best villain in the series and also one of the greatest villains in anime history, at least in my opinion. Every character in this series has a history and this anime has been created in a way that allows them to show you that background on each character, making each character very interesting and unique.

You cannot call yourself a true anime fan without watching Rurouni Kenshin, and if you like samurai and things like that you will certainly love this series. I was hooked from the first episode and I'm very sad for not be able to find the DVDs.

In my opinion it is the best anime in its class, and so I give it a perfect 100/10!!!!

Excellent!A good story,the best animation ever!

Author: Francisco from Porto, Portugal
18 October 2002

Excellent!A good story,the best animation ever!I love this series.The story of a samurai who wants a new life and protect the people.The music is superb,and the action scenes are fantastic.This is a good drama.10\10

There's only one word for this show- superb

Author: MeloDee from Texas, U.S.A.
24 June 2003

Where do I start? This show rocks! A lot of people have cable

or satelite TV, and if you're one of them, lucky for you! Just tune in to Cartoon Network every day at five-thirty (central time) and watch this show. I'm not asking you- I am COMMANDING you! You gotta see this! It's not often that a TV show I absolutely love comes along, so please, take my word on this. I am not going to give you quotes from the show, or anything of the like. I am not going to summarize the story or anything like that. I am just going to present the facts. This show is superb. If you don't watch it... you ARE going to watch it. There is no doubt about. We have an agreement that whoever reads this is going to watch this Rurouni Kenshin. In fact, if you don't have cable and can't get it, I advise that you BUY the DVDs. Now, no more... you are going to watch this show that deserves more praise than I can possibly give it. For your sake and my own (do not cause me the pain of having to stay up late at night weeping, hoping that you have seen the goodness I can't describe). Please watch it. PLEEEASE!

Rurouni Kenshin - The finest anime series ever

Author: Ian Gear (psychogoatee) from United States
28 October 2001

Rurouni Kenshin is an epic anime series about a wandering swordsman named Kenshin Himura who protects people with his reversed-blade sword. Rurouni Kenshin has everything you could possibly want in an anime series. It is available on DVD and VHS.

Semi Spoilers

Author: Gir_is_here from ?
14 December 2004

Rurouni Kenshin (the OAVs and Movie are known as Samurai X) tells the story of a wanderer named Kenshin, who used to be called Hitokiri Battousai (Hitokiri means Assassin) during the Japanese civil war, and is now trying to make up for his past and all his murders by helping those in trouble with his reverse-blade sword and by using his powerful technique called Hiten-Mitsurugi Ryu to battle oppressors of freedom and justice, yet struggling with himself and his own murdering self.

During the series Kenshin joins others in his quest: Kaoru Kamiya, a young orphan girl who became tutor of the Kamiya-Kashin Ryu Kendo style; Sanosuke Sagara, a mercenary who used to bear the name Zanza and fights just with his incredibly powerful fists; Yahiko Myojin, a young boy who was rescued by Kenshin from a band of thieves and now a pupil on Kaoru's dojo; and Megumi Takani, a female doctor who was rescued by Kenshin from a band which forced her to make a lethal drug. Together they all fight those who oppress the weak while they seek their destiny as well happiness and redemption.

My rating: 9/10 the Meji era of Japan may not be for everyone, or maybe some people just don't like the face Kenshin acts like a idiot in this.

Rating PG 13: Nothing to bad except a little blood.

Adventures of a Wandering Samurai

Author: (nikhil11301983@yahoo.com) from United States
10 July 2006

The anime is about a wandering samurai in the 11th year of the Meiji era (around 1878)who stumbles upon a dojo in Tokyo and decides to stay there, helping in and around it. He protects the weak against the strong with his sword (even when they are banned) and in the process, runs into some friends and enemies from the past. The series also has some characters who really existed in the history of Japan which makes it all the more interesting. The best episodes to watch are 28 through 62, but you will need to go through the earlier ones which are sometimes silly to really understand them. The soundtrack alone is exceptional and is worth listening to. In my opinion it is better than most animes in its class.

One of the best

Author: (sven7@abv.bg) from Bulgaria
10 May 2007

You cannot call yourself a sci-fi fan without watching Star Trek or Farscape. And you certainly cannot call yourself a true anime fan without watching Rurouni Kenshin. Few years ago I didn't even know the word anime, but since I accidentally saw RK I became an addict. It is full of action, fun, romance, BATTLES and most of all many COOL characters. I still can't call anyone a favourite even years after. Most of all I enjoyed the fact that the main characters are not divided into good and bad. There's just sides, which is more like in real life. If you like sword fight, samurai or just the best animes this one is a MUST-TO-SEE.