The Ringer (2005) Poster

This Movie Is Great For Special Olympic Athletes!
margielord16 December 2005
As Head of Delegation for a Special Olympic Texas team who has athletes featured in this movie, I have to take exception with the concept of assuming the athletes are being teased and made fun of in this movie. I spent most of 3 months on the set watching the filming 2 years ago and I know how very carefully Special Olympics International has watched the development of this movie. They have been involved in every aspect of this movie, from script development to final product. I also know how very careful Special Olympics is with putting their seal of approval on projects. They simply do not endorse ANYTHING, yet they are completely and 100% behind this movie.

I have seen the movie and can't wait to take every member of my team. Many of them have seen the movie and indeed are in it. At the premiere in Austin December 6 my athletes were howling with laughter and having a great time. While I will admit that Johnny Knoxville, the Farrelly Brothers and Special Olympics do not seem to make the best mix in the world, this works. And it is a beautiful movie. There are a few dirty words (like Forrest Gump) and a few tasteless jokes, but it is screamingly funny and has worlds of heart. The athletes are always, ALWAYS treated with the utmost respect. Unlike most movies about the mentally handicapped, there are major parts in this movie played by genuine special Olympic athletes, and they used some 200 special Olympic extra's. This was a labor of love, on both sides of the camera. It deserves to be viewed and respected. The producers had a vision of bringing to life and light the fact that mentally challenged people are well rounded and enjoyable people. They did it beautifully. Go see the movie and laugh with all your heart.
190 out of 237 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Wow this movie is really underrated!
MovieManMenzel3 January 2006
A long time ago when I first saw the trailer for "The Ringer" my reaction to it was what the hell? Why would someone make a whole movie based on a "South Park" episode? Then the trailer for "The Ringer" disappeared for a while and then resurfaced completely re-edited. The new trailer for the film didn't really increase my interest in the film but out of curiosity (and the fact there really isn't much out I haven't seen) I decided to give the movie a chance and did so this afternoon.

"The Ringer" is about a guy named Steve (Johnny Knoxville) who has just gotten himself in a little bit of trouble and is in a bit of debt because he owes $25,000 to the local hospital. With no where else to go Steve turns to his uncle Gary (Brian Cox), who is also in debt because of a bad gambling problem. Gary soon comes up with the solution to both their problems, Gary wants to fix the Special Olympics and enter Steve as the special athlete in order to win the money to pay off both their debts. Funny and touching moments ensue…

Wow!!!! That's all I can say when I walked out of the theater this afternoon! This movie is probably one of the most poorly marketed and underrated films ever. The movie from its marketing makes you feel ashamed to even want to see it because it looks like it's about making fun of people who are "special" but guess what? The movie doesn't give off that vibe at all. In fact, it makes you actually view the mentally challenged as normal people. The movie is never mean when it comes to dealing with that topic in fact it's almost uplifting and inspirational. Holy crap! Who the heck would think that would be possible from looking at the trailer or reading the plot outline?

"The Ringer" is one of these movies that received mediocre reviews which I don't understand. Roger Ebert of all critics actually admitted to liking this movie which means the movie has to be pretty darn good because he's a very harsh critic. I don't understand how anyone can hate this movie. While it does contain some of Hollywood's most typical scenes, the movie has a ton of heart, a decent amount of laughs, and overall good performances especially for a comedy. This is one of those hidden surprises that we rarely get from Hollywood. Also a little side note, this movie was made with the help of the real Special Olympics so it's nice to know there is some reality that helps fuel the film.

The acting all around is really good. Johnny Knoxville plays his character Jeffy perfectly. Katherine Heigl plays Lynn the adorable counselor in charge of watching over the special athletes and her and Knoxville both have nice on screen chemistry. The best characters though are the mentally challenged athletes themselves especially Glen (Jed Rees) and Thomas (Bill Chott). Everyone did a fine job in making the film's performances funny and believable.

The screenwriter Ricky Blitt is best known for writing several episodes of one of my favorite TV shows "Family Guy." Who would have thought that someone who had such a creative mind to create crude and original jokes for an animated TV series would be able to create such a touching and funny script? Director Barry W. Blaustein did a good job capturing the heart felt moments and comedy. The whole "When did we get ice cream" scene was a classic among others. I think both guys did a good job with the film and I feel bad for both that this movie is doing better at the box office because this movie really does have potential.

In the end, "The Ringer" is a very enjoyable and unique comedy, one that makes you laugh with the characters and not at them. The writer and director as well as everyone involved make you look and think of mentally challenged people as normal people. When the movie tries to exhibit typical jokes like every time Steve falls down it fails as a comedy but when it's not trying so hard to be funny it really is and luckily that's the majority of the film. When you leave the theater after watching this film, you leave with a big smile on your face and almost feel a bit inspired. This film is sure to win the hearts of most and is truly a victim of bad marketing. I for one loved "The Ringer" and will be sure to buy it when it comes to DVD.

MovieManMenzel's final rating for "The Ringer" is an 8/10. Ignore the trailers and check it out!
62 out of 77 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Underneath, This Has A Sweet Tone To It
ccthemovieman-122 March 2007
A typical modern-day comedy so some of its crudeness with sexual innuendos or remarks, but overall this is a full notch or two above most because underneath it is a soft, good- hearted feel to it. It's also a nice vehicle for a positive image to be presented for mentally- challenged people (formerl called "retards"). Those guys are as much of stars in this film as actors Johnny Knoxville and Katherine Heigl.

Knoxville plays the main character, "Steve Barker," a guy for (for good reasons, if that's possible) fakes being "handicapped" and enters The Special Olympics. He is hoping to win a big monetary prize to help pay for a friend's surgery and to help out his degenerate uncle who could be killed if he doesn't pay gamblers what he owes. Brian Cox plays "Uncle Gary." Both the man who needs the surgery ("Stavi," played by Luis Avalos) and Cox are hilarious in their roles, one being sympathetic and the other sleazy.

Along the way, Knoxville falls in love with Special Olympics worker "Lynn Sheridan" (Heigl). Hey, who wouldn't? This woman is unbelievably attractive and plays a good-hearted character.

Most of the funny lines in the movie are delivered by the Special Olympics athletes. Unrealistic? Yes, credibility is not high in that regard as as 99.9 percent of all the world's population would't be clever enough to deliver some of these lines but they are a hoot to hear. The fact you hear them uttered by "mentally-challenged" folks makes it even more outrageous and funny, of course. I can't remember how many times I just laughed out loud at something being said.

And, the film ends on a nigh note despite our hero being discovered as a fraud. The whole story is just a lot of a fun and is truly a feel-good film when it's all over. Highly recommended, but not for small kids because of the language.
23 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
"The Ringer", True Equality for All or a Step Backwards?
Sportscam20-14 January 2006
What would you say if a person would try to enter the Special Olympics and make people think he was actually Developmentally Disabled? Horrible Right? Well, this is what happens in the new film "The Ringer." Steve Barker (Johnny Knoxville) is an average office worker looking for some new challenges to his job. Barker must fire a janitor of long-time status to the company, but he feels sorry for him and rehires him for a new job. In the process the janitor, Stavi, is hurt and must be taken to the hospital. Now Steve Barker must find a way to earn a huge sum of money in one week! Gary (Brian Cox), Steve's uncle, tells him that he should "rig the Special Olympics" by pretending to be a Special Olympics athlete.

But, as Steve enters into the Special Olympics as his alter ego, Jeffy, the athletes quickly realize that he is not like one of them. Now he is in trouble, if the athletes tell their coaches he is not developmentally disabled, then his uncle may lose a bet that he put on him to beat the reigning champion, 6-time Gold Medalist, Jimmy, in order to help Stavi. As kind as the Special Olympians are known to be, they reach an agreement that they will not squeal on Steve if he can beat Jimmy. They are tired of Jimmy taking the glory all the time. They train Steve to be able to run faster, jump higher, and toss further than Jimmy.

Special Olympics, a very proud organization that was created by Eunice Kennedy Shriver, endorsed this film with the hopes that it will be the beginning of equality for all people, disabled and non-disabled. Tim Shriver, now head of the Special Olympics Board, Peter and Bobby Farrelly, known for such movies as "Dumb and Dumber," "There's Something About Mary," and "Stuck On You," are the producers that had worked on making this film so all people could laugh with the athletes, rather than at the athletes. Special Olympians will enjoy this movie with others because it has plenty of humor for all to understand. There are even Special Olympic athletes who are some of the main characters and plenty of athletes as the extras. Written by Ricky Blitt, writer of "Family Guy" on Fox, and directed by Barry Blaustein, writer for "The Nutty Professor" and "The Honey Mooners," this movie is a feel-good, light-hearted comedy. People will be entertained as well as learning these individuals are more than they are perceived to be by many people.

There are many different views to this movie, some good and not so good, but Special Olympics and the National Downs Syndrome Society both back the film because it sends a good message. Audiences learn, just like Steve, that the athletes are fun to hang out with and they can do nearly as much as anyone else can. To be fair, there are a few words that may have people nervous the first 15 minutes of the film, but it is quickly found that it teaches the lesson the word "retard" is a term that people with intellectual disabilities find hurtful. The Farrelly brothers would like to see a positive spotlight shown on "The Ringer" because it could help begin to change stereotypes about people with disabilities before they talk with them and get to know them. The main idea was if Johnny Knoxville is in the movie, he could attract the audience from his show "Jack Ass", the people who are normally mean towards kids in the schoolyard and say the word every person hates to hear "Retard." By attracting these people, he says in the movie "don't make fun of my friends!" then his followers will start doing the same. As the Farrelly's explained in an interview with "ABC News" on December 26th, "Every time you see a movie about people with intellectual disabilities, they're portrayed — it's a tear-jerker, it's sad. It's depressing. We wanted to throw something out there that was uplifting." "The Ringer" is a light-hearted comedy that will open your mind and your heart to intellectually disabled individuals.
25 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
This movie has so much heart!
elf_10720 December 2005
I got 2 free passes to see this film... I had very low expectations since it starred Johnny Knoxville who I, until today, only associated with really grotesque behavior on Jackass. The combination of that and Special Olympics smelled like it could be a cheap joke at the expense of Special Olympians but in fact it turned out to be just the opposite! It totally surpassed my expectations! It was a truly sweet, laugh out loud funny feel-good movie with big big heart. It portrayed the Olympians in a really caring way and those characters totally made the movie. I didn't have any trouble swallowing Johnny as a naive guy with a big heart, but people who've seen him in Jackass might find the contrast startling at first. It might be too sweet, or too predictably Hollywood for some people... But the physical comedy and naive sweetness really won me over in the end. I look forward to watching this film again.
96 out of 132 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A Really Great Movie
Sprstrddawg1 January 2006
The Ringer, a story about a man who rigs the Special Olympics to gain money for him and his uncle, is a surprisingly good movie. Reading the premise and seeing the commercials for this movie probably won't give you much reason to see it. It comes across as an insensitive, politically incorrect film that degrades mentally challenged people and pokes fun at the Special Olymics when it is actually not like that at all. There is a great message behind the film. Johnny Knoxville as Jeffy is great, not the insensitive jerk he may seem to be from Jackass. Brian Cox plays a great Uncle Gary, and Katherine Heigl is wonderfully sweet as Lynn. Besides a little language, this is a film for all ages. This New Year, check out The Ringer if you want a laugh and a heartwarming story.
43 out of 64 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I saw The Ringer last night
pamela-9826 December 2005
There are so many people who have a difficult time with the holiday season, and I guess I'm one of them. I was able to take my family to see The Ringer last night and I'm SO glad I did. I had reservations, once the movie started. I knew very little about it, and, certainly was not aware of the Special Olympics endorsement. I wasn't sure how they were going to portray the special people. However, as the characters were developed, this movie became so heartwarming and genuine that I left with tears because it blessed me so. Maybe I'm the one who is screwed up, and I'm certainly no professional when dealing with handicaps, but I am a substitute teacher and have often been blessed to be assigned to the special needs classes, so I have been around many special students. I loved this movie. It helped me to get some issues of my own in perspective and gave my whole family a real feel-good experience. I have read the comments of others, and it appears to me, the people who were most critical hadn't even seen the film.
73 out of 114 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Give this movie a chance!!!
klchamp13 July 2006
When thinking about the Special Olympics, you normally would not think of comedy. Yet the Farrelly Bros. strike again. A goof-ball with a heart of gold is helped by a group of S.O. athletes, only to overcome odds, help a friend get his fingers back, and open himself up to vulnerability and attacks. Excellent performances by Knoxville, Heigl, and especially Jed Rees and Bill Chott for their unforgettable performances as Glen and Thomas (both from Galaxy Quest) . ANYONE who thought this movie to be politically incorrect...don't knock it until you have seen it! They hired mentally challenged performers for various roles, and rather than be the butt of the jokes, they are the ones making those jokes. WATCH THIS MOVIE AND ENJOY IT FOR WHAT IT IS...a good film, an excellent cast, and the brand of comedy one can only expect from the Farrelly Bros. Have fun and laugh!!!
26 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Edgy Material pulled off in the finest form.
killergoomba3 January 2006
Johnny Knoxville? Special Olympics? When I first saw the movie poster to 'The Ringer', I was thinking "tasteless"? But when I found out that the movie had the approval of the Special Olympics itself, I decided to see this movie. I like Johnny Knoxville. I think he is funny, even though he has been quite the Jackass. 'Dukes Of Hazzard' was a hoot... 'Walking Tall' was another good Knoxville flick. 'The Ringer' is perhaps his finest. I have to say that, I don't think that anyone who left the theatre tonight went away without learning something. Johnny Knoxville? The Special Olympics? Who else could have pulled this one off? Carrey? Ferell? Stiller? Nope. Knoxville. Well Done!
52 out of 83 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Great Movie
pamela2406-120 December 2005
The Special Olympics gave their blessings to the makers of this movie. I saw it at a special preview. I was worried that the movie was based on making fun of handicapped individuals, it was not. I was impressed by this movie. It shows the behind the scenes of the Special Olympics and the people that help. I spoke with a few people after the movie and asked what they thought and 60% of them mentioned that they personally would like to help out at the next Special Olympics. They said they never knew what it was like to be around special people and were sometimes scared. But seeing this movie made them understand how some of them are and it made them want to help. Most of the jokes were directed towards the Jeffy character played by Johnny Knoxville. I would recommend this movie to everyone. It was a good movie.
51 out of 83 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Worth it, but not for laughs
sheiss32125 December 2005
You walk into the theater thinking you will laugh your butt off, but I came out judging my own moral values strongly(whether the director planned for that or not). The characters in the movie are stressed to breaking points over character strength and ethical moral values. It teaches(and shows) a side we rarely see in today's rude and unethical world(take the plot of this movie for example). I walked out and thought: Are mentally disabled any different than the rest of us? Since everyone is different, how can we call a select few...special? My friend walked out of the movie saying: One of the best comedies I've ever seen. Now, me, I'm trying to pretend I liked it for laughs, but I didn't. I sit here typing away my thoughts this movie made me think. I sit here thinking of the people I've hurt, the friends I've lost, and realize that there are just not enough good people in the world. This movie, whether you think it or not, has given me a whole new outlooks towards the disabled, a new outlook on virtues and a new outlook on my own character. I am very amazed of how I walked out of the theater and frankly I'm proud of myself. I hope that this movie helps you reflect yourself.
81 out of 142 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
"When did we get ice cream?"
asam312224 December 2005
"The Ringer" is the story of Steve Barker, who, one day, is sent to fire his friend, the janitor, Stavi. When Stavi explains that he has five kids and that his wife died, Steve decides not to fire him, and to give him a job at his apartment complex mowing the lawn. When the mower malfunctions, Stavi loses some fingers. The surgery to give him his fingers back costs 28,000 dollars. Steve doesn't have that kind of money, and there's no way he can get it on time.

Then, we meet Uncle Gary, an insensitive jerk who is down 40,000 dollars. He, like Steve, doesn't have any money. When he hears his loan shark talk about an inspirational handicapped man named Jimmy Washington, Uncle Gary thinks he can get his ex-high school drama nephew (Steve) to act mentally handicapped for the Special Olympics, which are coming to town.

While at the Special Olympics under the false name Jeffy Dahmor, Steve meets Lynn. Lynn is a sweet lady, who is helping out with the mentally handicapped individuals.

Despite a few opening incidents with the other handicapped people, they discover Steve is a fake. But they refuse to turn him in because they want someone to beat Jimmy Washington, who turns out to be a jerk.

My review reflects, in my opinion, one of the funniest lines in the movie. Steve and the others find Lynn's boyfriend at a movie theater with another girl. When he is found by Lynn with the others, he explains that he took them to the mall and then out for ice cream.

"When did we get ice cream?!" Rated PG-13 for Language, Crude Humor, Drug References, and Sexual Humor, "The Ringer" gets a 10/10 in my book. It's got a good message in it. You just have to look.
35 out of 58 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
what a shame for those who didn't get it
cosmorados18 June 2007
I like many people saw the trailer for this film and instantly felt angry at the Farrelly's for crossing the line and taking the rip out of the disabled, after seeing it the only person having the rip taken out of him was johnny Knoxville who is brilliantly cast as the stooge of his addicted gambler uncle, Brian Cox.

The story of a man who fakes mental disability in order to compete in the special Olympics and win money in a betting scandal seems like it would be just too awful to be believed. But after demanding to be considered for a management condition and given the job of firing Stavi the cleaner, Johnny Knoxville's nice guy character decides to hire him as a gardener, only for him to chop his fingers off. Needing several thousand dollars to pay his hospital bills, he takes the advice of his twisted uncle, played superbly by Brian Cox, to fake disability and rig the special Olympics.

To those who doubt the quality of the film, I say trust the highest raters, this is a very funny film! Don't get me wrong film fans, if you want to see a classic comedy try Duck Soup and Annie Hall, but this is really funny and not only that but the film does have it's heart firmly in the right place.

Like Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey this is one of the best underrated comedies and a true hidden gem.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Special Olympics movie that is the "Feel good movie" of the year.
barbers0013 April 2005
Special Olympics is such a magnificent organization. The work they do for the mentally challenged is far more than I can begin to tell. No one can doubt the works they do, but many who have not worked with these people do not understand how wonderful the athletes are.

I saw this movie at a premier viewing in Texas in the fall, and honestly wondered how such a movie would be possible without putting the athletes back in the shadows that they have tried for so many years to come out of. Since seeing the movie and meeting the athletes, I have been waiting with "Baited breath" for it to release so I can take my students to see it. It does so much to help others see the real persons behind the Special Olympics logo.

I loved it and am hoping to bring everybody I know to watch it also. It shows the athletes just as they really are, fun-loving young adults who can get into trouble, get out of trouble, play with each other, and play against each other. It shows the athletes in competition and in relaxation, just being people, and it is delightful.
50 out of 100 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A Well Directed Movie That Is Also Disarmingly Sweet
inthecompanyofAandR30 December 2005
This is the best movie from the Farrelly brothers in quite some time. Movie has plenty of heart. Tough subject that many could beef about is well handled by director Blaustein and a cast that moves right along. Favorite is Geoffrey Arend who delivers the funniest line in the movie about ice cream. Arend is a deft and supple actor who is classically trained including The Royal Shakespeare in London who is used for some reason here just in the picture almost all through the movie. But he is electric funny with a screen presence that demands attention. You cannot take your eyes off him as he performs which usually is a problem if the producers or somebody else is pushing another star.

I recall his lines at the beginning of Super Trouper the cop movie "I'm freaking' out" as being the highlight of that film too.

Geoffrey Arend should get a vehicle of his own. Good ensemble work here. Knoxville who is not a favorite is even palatable too.
8 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Way better then you think it is
dbborroughs28 December 2008
Johnnie Knoxville tries to fix the Special Olympics by pretending to be handicapped. The idea is that he'll pretend to be mentally handicapped so money can be won to help a friend with no insurance and his dad who's in debt to the mob.

Clever offbeat the film just sort of misses despite being funny and touching. What can I say Johnny Knoxville has made a film that would seem to be his typical offensive material however it's so much better than you think it is. To be certain this won't win awards but it will pass the time and make you laugh, and what more could you ask for? 6 out of 10
A day at the races
jotix10029 May 2008
We watched this film with trepidation. The Farrelly brothers don't actually believe in subtlety. "The Ringer" has a cast of mentally challenged players; frankly one feared the worst. Well, as it turned out, this is not your typical movie by the masters of grossness. The direction was entrusted to Barry Blaustein and the writing to Ricky Blitt. While there is some grossness, as was perhaps expected, the makers are actually quite respectful of the people involved in the Special Olympics.

Don't get confused, this is a formula movie, or at least this is what the finished product feels like. The idea of Johnny Knoxville passing as one of the handicapped youths, sounded preposterous. Yet, Mr. Knoxville's performance is one of the reasons for watching it. The great Brian Cox is a hilarious presence as the uncle from hell. Lovely Katherine Heigl adds charm to the proceedings.

This is a fun film because it celebrates people that are less fortunate than the rest of us. They are all portrayed in a dignified manner.
A good movie
shadowguy1224 May 2008
This movie was good, and definitely good enough to get by. I'll simplify the basic plot: a man needs to make some money and so joins the special Olympics and eventually tries to go out with one of the trainers.

This movie was funny, and its morality is good. It doesn't mock the mentally delayed for very long. It only does so for the first fifteen minutes or so they are introduced, then shows them as people, which is very good.

I didn't give this movie a ten because it wasn't extremely entertaining (I'd still recommend renting it, though). Also there wasn't a lot of depth in the characters. They were pretty basic. You'll still have a good time watching it, though.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Could have blown up in his face!! Fortunately didn't!!
simon_ham10 October 2006
I bought it on box office in the face of stiff competition- Date Movie no less - and expected a poor taste, cheap comedy, right up my street. My partner however, was a little concerned about this prognosis. As a former carer to young disabled people she can be more sensitive about it than I. As I hoped, the film scored full marks for funnies. But not in the form of cheap jibes at disabled people. There was some clever writing (not genius but sharp), Johnny Knoxville had some cracking lines, the accusation directed at the leading ladies boyfriend of 'he poked me in the chest and called me stupid'(sic) was a cracker. Don't watch it if you're a bleeding heart liberal who can see the wrong in everything. If that's you you'll miss the stunning performance put on by all the competitors of the Special Olympics. Don't anyone say this film is in poor taste. If you say that you're belittling the efforts, and successes, of all the cast, in what's a dicey subject. Watch it. Don't expect 'The Godfather' or 'High Fidelity' with regards depth, nor 'Dumb & Dumber' for cult status, just a nice film you can watch with your girlfriend. There's something for everyone.
Surprisingly Excellent - Surpassed Expectations
Hoopy Frood5 October 2006
I heard of this movie when it first came out. I figured on seeing a jackass-ian treatment of the mentally challenged and avoided it like the plague - I shouldn't have.

After reliable friends assured me that THEY TOO expected nothing from this film, but were pleasantly surprised when it was a gem, I nabbed it from the local library.

The comedy is where it should be - Knoxville's's character is the reluctant participant in his situation. His special olympian cohorts are outstanding. Sure, these are all high-functioning individuals, but they are only very mildly characiturized -and- are in ways that unfold neatly capable of much more than "Jeffy" (Knoxville's character) gives them credit for.

Thus, this flick is a comedic treatment that at no point belittles or unfairly mocks the challenged, adds in a cute love story (it's no Moonstruck, but hey), that carries a message -lightly-; the 'message' one might come away with would be personal, and not everyone would take away the same one. (The one I got was not a cheezey "be nice to the mentally challenged") Grab it on DVD; it's a worthwhile watch that will give some perspective.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
actually a really sweet movie!
Ivykins13 June 2006
My business partner's 13-year-old son kept telling me to watch this movie, so I didn't really expect much out of it. Was I surprised! Not knowing much about it, I initially groaned when I discovered it was about the Special Olympics. I was waiting to be utterly horrified, but realized fairly quickly that it was taking a completely different turn that I had expected. Johnny Knoxville actually comes across as a decent human being with real emotions and compassion for people who are "different." Not only is he NOT making fun of developmentally disabled people, he actually makes fun of those who do taunt them! Many of the actors are developmentally disabled in real life, making it an even better movie. The Special Olympics Committee approved everything in the film, so you know they're not upset about it. I highly recommend this movie to anyone, but especially younger people who have prejudices!
This Movie Is Terrific Fun With a Great Heart
mayofam-13 June 2006
As the mom of a real Special Olympian, it is great to see S.O. treated as an integral part of a big picture like this. I am sorry other people did not enjoy it as much as I did. Having a special child is something most people think is a tragedy; we parents of Special Olympians know that in many ways it is a great gift. It does make many people uncomfortable as a topic, but this film handles all these issues beautifully and was made with the support and guidance of Special Olympics with real mentally challenged athletes in pivotal roles. NOT a "heavy" message film at all, just a comedy for everyone who loves to laugh, regardless of their abilities. Give it a chance and you will love it! A+
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
This was a decent movie...
John16 May 2006
But, nothing to pee your pants over. This movie had a fair mount of funny parts, but it wasn't like it had me rolling on the floor the entire time. The only time I had seen Knoxville "act" was on the hit show/movie Jackass... so I came into the theater expecting nothing more than a mediocre comedy based on the Special Olympics. And to be perfectly honest that's what I got. I think that Johnny Knoxville is actually a pretty good actor, something that I did not expect to see. I thought that the movie was going to be disgusting and crude, but surprised to see something pretty family-oriented. For the record, this should have gotten a PG. This was a good movie, to sum up. To go into further discussion, which you may pass on as it is irrelevant to the overall review of the movie. My favorite character is Glen/n and I think that Knoxville did a great job.

So, should I see it? Yes, and I think it's okay to take the kids.
A very solid movie
Matt Reeves15 January 2006
This in my opinion may be Johnny Knoxville's finest acted movie. He acts his role as Steve barker very well, and the leading actress Katherine Heigl who plays Lynn Sheridan is very solid as well. This movie is funny without being offensive, and it makes a good point. The only negative thing i have to say about the movie is when Knoxville's character reveals he's been pretending to be mentally challenged and Lynn gets up and slaps him. I did not like towards the end how easily Lynn forgave Steve barker. It seemed a little too easy to me for her to forgive him, but other than that it is a very solid movie and i would highly recommend seeing it.
Great Movie, Even Inspirational
Christopher Burns20 December 2005
This movie was hilarious! There were many extremely funny lines, and the overall story is very inspirational. The movie makes you care for the specially challenged, and practically makes you wet yourself at the same time. This film is full of humor aimed at Johnny Knoxville, as well as some of the participants. I highly recommend you see this movie, if you can get past the whole rigging the Special Olympics thing! I believe it is fine to show this movie to the specially challenged, as most comments are aimed at Johnny Knoxville, and not at the real specially challenged participants. This is film has a great combination of comedy and a love story, and the blending of the two genres works magnificently. If you liked Forest Gump, this movie is definitely for you.
9 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this