IMDb > Avalon (2001) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Avalon

Avalon More at IMDbPro »

Page 8 of 15: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

this is something special, not for everyone

Author: alyzzia from Poland
29 September 2003

i know the movie can be boring. probably for most audience it is. but there are some freaks that liked it very much. it's just if you try a little bit to get out of the old habbits while looking the movie you'll love it. anyway you must see Japan in this movie and understand their way of thinking, believe me, if you do it you'll get much more from the movie. Don't watch surface, take a deep breath and jump into it :-)

The reality of imagination...?

Author: Lurch_Kimded from Edinburgh, Scotlan
9 January 2003

Avalon is a film which left me knowing that on some deep level it had left its sepia-toned imprint upon me. I am not a great one for art-house films but I am a massive cyber-punk fan and love Ghost in the Shell. I went into the film not being quite sure to expect from a live action polish film by a Japanese anime director. What I received was a wonderful film which, if viewed with the correct frame of mind, explored the lines of reality and obsession with a computer generated world which allows a complete level of escapism in many ways. To say more would ruin the film, but needless to say, watch out for the small touches in the background and in what seem like throw away shots. This is a wonderful film for anyone who likes to think about a film whilst they are watching it and for hours afterwards. Marvellous.

Visually stunning!

Author: vangelis-3 (kinoglaz@email.com)
6 December 2002

Apart from the stunning visuals and the sound and digital effects , I was surprised to find the allegory behind the scene of the destruction of the huge tank which bears Russian words on it , in order to advance to the next stage which is the Real World, dominated by Coca -Cola advertisements, suggesting the underlying status of post communist Poland and the inevitable dominance of capitalism. Great and thought provoking film.

Bonkers. Baffling. Brilliant.

Author: phiggins from London, England
14 November 2002

SPOILERS... "Avalon" - a world where nothing is real, not even reality. A world of illegal virtual reality war games. A retro-future world of muted colours, grotty buildings and down-trodden citizenry. "Avalon" - a Polish/Japanese co-production featuring awesome yet strangely sedate battle scenes, enigmatic characters, minimal dialogue and a plot that goes everywhere and nowhere (baby). Ash, our heroine, plays the aforementioned video game, and is both addicted to it and very good at it, although it doesn't seem to give her much actual pleasure. A Big Brother-esque character advises her on her game play. Strange things happen. There is talk of another, secret level to the game that can be accessed whenever one encounters a strange ghostly child. I know, it doesn't sound very good, does it. However, this is one of those films that can drive a person batty, with its repetitive, stately, surreal, haunting atmosphere, incredible special effects and quite simply fantastic music. It has to be seen to be believed. I've seen it, and I'm still not sure I believe it. Ballard, Banks, Baudrillard, Cronenberg (especially "Videodrome" and the mighty "Existenz"), Gilliam, Orwell and "City of Lost Children" are all reference points, as is the work of Chris Marker ("La Jetee", "Sans Soleil"). This is, in other words, an intelligent, thought-provoking, disturbing, brilliant piece of cinema. It is gratifying to see that, yet again, there are people outside the artistic bankruptcy of Hollywood who are using computer-generated imagery with imagination and style. Compare the images in this film with something like "The Matrix" (that dullard's touch-stone): on the one hand we have genuinely breath-taking and mind-blowing visuals, while on the other we have a Gap advert with extra weaponry. I know which I prefer. As Ash's quest (for what? Her dog?) continues, she comes into contact with what looks (to the audience) like real life. Indeed, it is called "Level Real". Suddenly everything looks normal, and we think we have worked out what is going on. We couldn't, of course, be more wrong. As the orchestra, choir and soloist build to an epic crescendo, Ash confronts... someone. And, just as we think we understand, the rug is pulled away yet again. The music continues, the line between reality and unreality is as blurred as ever, and my head really hurts. If you get the chance to see this work of art, do so. You will not be disappointed. You might end up a lot of things, but not disappointed.

Cool video game fantasy about virtual reality war games

Author: Bart from Midwest
28 October 2002

Hmmm, when I saw the trailer for this film, I was VERY excited to see it. The visuals looked awesome and the action scenes looked as good as some of the stuff from The Matrix. However, after I bought the DVD and watched the whole thing, I was a bit disappointed. When you watch the film, remember that only parts were directed by Mamoru Oshii, and the rest by the Polish director (I can't remember his name off hand). The opening few minutes of the movie are smashing. Absolutely fantastic. BUT, the remainder of the film, is quite boring and repetitive. Throughout the film there are a few more small segments directed by Mamoru Oshii, and these scenes really make the film worth watching, twice or three times at least. The story is really cool also, but not held up enough to make it very interesting. Overall, the film has some stunning visual scenes (those directed by Mamoru Oshii) but lacks as a whole...

Very good, but flawed

Author: Tom-2128 from United States
13 September 2006

Lot's of comments compare this movie to "The Matrix" but they don't point out the obvious difference: the plot of "Avalon" is the reverse of "The Matrix". In "The Matrix", the main character starts out in the game (the Matrix) and moves to the real world. In "Avalon", the main character (Ash) goes in the opposite direction.

Another interesting point is that the philosophy of "Avalon" is the opposite of that of "The Matrix". In "The Matrix", living in reality is presented as the highest value, worth sacrificing comfort and security. In "Avalon", the point is that the real isn't morally superior to the artificial: choosing the artificial (i.e. virtual reality) is presented as a perfectly reasonable choice.

There is a dispute about whether the first part of the movie is boring or just depicting a boring character. It's both. The problem is that the director apparently didn't realize that showing a boring life doesn't have to be boring. He could have used techniques such as showing a dull sequence, then referring to it briefly several times. "Groundhog Day" used that technique.

A common complaint in many comments is that Ash is emotionless and her real world is bland, boring, and (almost literally) colorless. That is crucial to the movie: it has to make the point that Ash's life outside the game is meaningless.

I like the fact that the movie combines Dungeons and Dragons, video games, and Multi User Dungeons, and it handles each of them accurately.

We can summarize the point of the movie as: the artificial world we create can be better than the world we live in.

Avalon single DVD

Author: lwolfson-1 from United States
19 November 2005

10+ for direction and photography. 8 for acting (Ash was a 10+). I found a copy at Blockbuster with single DVD widescreen with English subtitles. Here's what I don't get:

1. There were many subtitles when no one was speaking, did they just dub out voices to replace with subtitles? Somewhat confusing for me.

2. Language mismatch, the little Polish I know didn't seem to jive with some of the subtitles.

3. Shots of the orchestra; yes, the music was great and Skywalker Ranch really did a bang-up job with the audio fixes, but watching the orchestra (and the audience watching the orchestra) hurt the pace of the movie. Were these shots added?

4. Skywalker Ranch's role in this? If anyone knows the story of how they got involved, I would like to hear more.

5. I thought this existed as 2 or 4 CD set. Mine was single CD.

Overall, this was a great movie. The scene of Ash fixing the food for her dog was so mesmerizing, I was captured in the moment like Ash and totally forgot about the dog. The breakfast scene of her "friend" stuffing his face was awesome! I am so glad to see decent sci-fi without Hollywood destroying it.

Be ready for a slow ride

Author: Aditya Pandit from Boston
29 July 2005

It took me two attempts to watch the movie. There are certain conditions which will make you like the movie more.

1) Being a Sci Fi Buff If you are a sci fi buff you will generally like the dish being fared out in this move.

2) Being Gaming buff if you are a gaming buff you will just love and relate to the situations the characters are going through in the movie

3) watch the movie when you are not too tired and need entertainment(Hollywood style)

The movie is very slow paced and it takes time and patience to appreciate what the director is trying to portray.

The cinematography and camera-work are the best part of the movie. It has some really captivating shots.

Skip it if you don't meet condition 3.

Although if you meet conditions 1 and 2 above just go for it and you will enjoy the movie even if you are tired and the movie seems slow and boring to others.

Aditya

Brilliant!

Author: jaakkochan from Finland
11 May 2005

The movie has a good pace and the characters feel so real. That war teared Poland is amazing. Poland army borrowed some tanks and things for the movie and the result is very convincing. Best its the atmosphere. I loved the scene in which displayed the scenery in which tram goes. Its strangely futuristic. Avalon is a movie that cannot be mentioned without mentioning its music by Kawai Kenji. Kawais score is symphonic and brilliant, it has a pace and nostalgia a simply fantastic music that can be enjoyed over and over, with or without the film. The scene with old cannon, is memorized as one of the most simply fantastic. Malgorzata Foremniak is fantastic, her big eyes and calm face convey so much - she simply stands there quietly without expression in her face, but still expressing so much. The CG is OK, and those 2D animations when something is destroyed in the game is very creative and fresh idea. It doesn't really impress after seeing Matrix but it doesn't have to - it works well enough. If this movie and Matrix tells about more or less the same thing, I like this movie more. Maybe because I'm fond of fantasy and Japanese literature, which both this movie has got influence from. There are lot of metaphors in the movie. The dog for example, which is by the way, great. The director loves dogs I heard and he would have preferred using his own dog, but since they were out there in Poland for months doing the film, it was not possible. The movie is first "real" movie of Mamoru Oshii. He is famous in Japan of his previous animated movies such as "Batlabor" and "Ghost in the Shell". I recommend this movie to anyone interested about movies such as Matrix, Lord of the Rings or Existenz. It doesn't have the same Hollowood charm Matrix had, but for me that's only a plus.

Great movie - loved the use of graphics and colors

Author: jwysack from United States
26 March 2005

When I was much younger and in college - I enrolled in a film class. One of the films we had to see was one called "White Wine, Red Wine". I had almost forgotten about that movie until I saw Avalon.

In "White Wine, Red Wine" ( could be backwards - I apologize - it's been almost 20 years since I saw it and I even looked it up on this site - it wasn't in it ) - the film starts out with everyone being an alternate universe - people didn't behave as they would - etc - and everyone was drinking white wine. All of a sudden, we see the people as they really are and they are all drinking red wine.

I stumbled upon this film watching it late one night and was stunned. I'm in the computer field myself and I could not help but notice the similarity of computer systems between this movie and Brazil - the movie by Terry Gilliam. Did anyone else notice the quaint keyboards and graphics on the screens? The terminals reminded me of stuff from the 70's.

I loved how when she went to the real world - it was all in full color as opposed to the sepia filtered world she was from. But again, as in her other world, it turned out to be just as fake as the other worlds. I liked the fact they really don't explain what happened to her - you're left to try and figure it out yourself. However, I agree with one other reviewer - I think she ended up in the hospital with Murphy. Her one fatal flaw was that she had to win no matter what the cost plus she was ticked off at Murphy for what he did earlier. She ends up eliminating his character, but then realizes her mistake as she finds out he never loaded his gun and she could have lived in that world forever. The "game" used her just like all the others, which is why she ends up going back into the hall and trying to shoot the ghost. Of course, the game just "resets" on her and claims her as a victim.

I do agree with the other writers - if you're looking for an action flick, go elsewhere. If you're looking to think, you've got the right film.