IMDb > Rush Hour 2 (2001) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Rush Hour 2

Rush Hour 2 More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 40:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

I've seen it 4 times, and it still makes me laugh!

Author: Kristine (kristinedrama14@msn.com) from Chicago, Illinois
3 September 2001

Rush Hour 2 is one of those rare sequels that turn out to be either just as just as much if not equally more hilarious than the first. This summer, I had several opportunities to see this film and of course took those chances because I just couldn't stop laughing at this film, no matter how I knew what would happen in the next scene. It has great humor and great chemistry that we haven't seen between two actors since Mel Gibson and Danny Glover.

Carter and Lee are back and starting off where the first Rush Hour left off and that's in China. Carter is expecting a dream vacation full of "mushoo's" a.k.a girls! Lee is standing in the way of that though taking on his old cases, including finding out about a counterfeit scam, and finding out who killed his father. He fools Carter several times, but together eventually team back to discover that you just "follow the rich white man" back to America and end up working undercover with the sexy Isabella Molina. But things get deeper as Lee finds out that the counterfeit scam and his father's killer might to be connected.

Rush Hour 2 is one of the funniest movies I have seen, not to mention one of the best movies of the year! I was extremely happy to see this movie and I cannot wait until the DVD! Chris Tucker and Jackie Chan are just amazing and I cannot wait until the third Rush Hour release, I just know it'll be a great one!

fantastic fun

Author: Mike Keating (yamawhore@gmail.com) from London, England
18 April 2006

I've seen this film a few times now and it always makes me laugh. It's a great blend of action and comedy, and Jackie Chan and Chris Tucker seem to work really well together because they act total opposites and play really well off each other.

The plot's fairly basic with the standard sort of Hong Kong police story about drugs and revenge, but the two fish out of water characters (Chan in LA and Tucker in HK) just make it really enjoyable. The fight scenes are pretty cool (I really liked the one with the locker doors in the casino) and Tucker's jokes with that high pitched voice are just really funny.

It's just a really fun action-comedy movie that is really enjoyable. Can't ask for more than that.

Too funny and comical!

Author: dy158 from Singapore
19 June 2006

Maybe being Jackie Chan with one of the best Asian celebrities who really make it big in Hollywood and really brought honours for us here in Asia, I knew I was in for a great time when I first watched this movie. Also when I was growing up, his movies were those which are at times on the television here.

It was like four or five years back I saw this on an projector at the school hall of my alma mater, as part of the school's post-exam activities. Really, I almost laughed myself silly as I was watching with my other peers then. Like many of us, we grew up watching Jackie's trademark kungfu moves and his amazing stunts which often made us all in awe on the movie screen.

Jackie and Chris Tucker's chemistry just clicked with each other. And watching Zhang Ziyi playing a bad girl, it was like - whoa! Watching some of the movie scenes being played out in Hong Kong somehow brought back some memories for this person who grew up watching some of those Hong Kong TV dramas (with subtitles and Mandarin dubbing) on the television here. Looking at some of those scenes, at times I wondered how really the western world will see Hong Kong. But given many knew who is Jackie (he is from Hong Kong himself actually), I knew it's a relief.

The two guys are just real funny between each other. But when it's time for those kungfu moves and the stunts, it always excite me. It's always like that.

Definitely really funny. Prepare to laugh in stitches.

TERRIFIC SEQUEL!!!! BETTER THAN THE FIRST!!!!!!!

Author: rchrdshelt (rchrdshelt@aol.com) from Birmingham, England
8 September 2003

I saw the first Rush Hour and didn't know what to expect when i watched it at a friend's house. I watched it and thought it was one of the funniest movies I have ever seen. I was glad that it was something fresh and new as the Lethal Weapon movies (Which I also thought were excellent!!!!!!!) had finished and i thought that it was even better than them. Then when i heard that they were making Rush Hour 2 I couldn't wait until it came out, however i was worried that it might not be as good as the first as very few sequels are these days, but i was not disappointed in the slightest. I laughed all the way through this movie and even more than the first one. Jackie Chan and Chris Tucker are perfect for the roles and both are excellent throughout the movie which has even more humor than Rush Hour 1. Rush Hour 1 is still excellent but i think Rush Hour 2 has to be funnier having watched them both hundreds of times. I cannot wait until Rush hour 3 comes out!

I highly recommend this movie and Rush Hour 1 to all action/comedy fans out there!

Another Hollywood successful sequel

Author: fernanda monteiro from Portugal
18 December 2006

A lot of comedy in this movie, which makes this movie so entertaining, from the beginning to the end. Lots of action in such different places, like Hong Kong, Los Angeles and Las Vegas. It is very interesting to follow the storyline through those different cities. The LA's skyscrapers are always spectacular in any movie. Jackie Chan is well as usual and Chris Tucker seems to be inspired, except when he is talking in Chinese language!

Chris Tucker is a great American actor and we like him as an example of a good patriotic American.

Inspector Lee and Carter are an awesome duo, they seem to be the only thing in this movie, but the kick in Carter's face from Hu Li makes clear it is not so. Zhang Ziyi is a perfect complement to this couple. John Lone is very credible in his role. And American actress Rosalyn Sanchez is a stunning surprise.

Formulaic but fun!

Author: bob the moo from United Kingdom
25 January 2002

James Carter comes to Hong Kong for a holiday with Inspector Lee. However at the same time a bomber is striking key American targets. Carter and Lee get drawn into an investigation into a counterfeiting ring run by Ricky Tan and his new partner Hu Li. Before long their up to their necks in trouble again.

The story doesn't matter because basically it's this - Carter talks funny to somebody while Lee is distracted, it then all kicks off and Lee does lots of fancy moves, it then moves to a different location and the pattern repeats again. Essentially that's it - but it doesn't matter, it worked the first time and it works again here. The story is better than the first film's, although the twists don't work as well as they think they do.

The main improvement since the first movie is that there's more fighting action. In RH Jackie Chan's fighting was toned down to make room for Tucker's comedy. In RH2 Chan is allowed to have much more action and the addition of Zhang Ziyi ups the ante all the more. Tucker still gets to do his big-mouthed comedy and have plenty of banter between him and Chan, be sexual with girls and fight. It's not breaking new ground but it's quite fun.

Chan and Tucker are very good, mainly because they're having fun and comfortable with each other. Lone adds class and menace as Ricky Tan and Sanchez adds spice as the beautiful Isabella. The best addition is Zhang Ziyi - she doesn't have any character but she can certainly move! The cast also has very funny cameos from Don Cheadle and Jeremy Piven - adding laughs and class.

The only problem with the film is that it is so very formulaic and is just a simple crowd pleaser. Some of the banter is a few steps off racism (`I'll kick you back to Africa') and much of Tucker's ogling is borderline sexism. However it's all so very polished that you don't notice.

Overall it's a very entertaining blockbuster. The only problem is this - the funniest bits are the outtakes, shouldn't it have been in the film?!

fun sequel

Author: Roland E. Zwick (magneteach@aol.com) from United States
29 January 2002

`Rush Hour 2' is a highly enjoyable follow-up to the original 1998 box office smash. Like the previous film, this first of what will undoubtedly be a long line of lucrative sequels combines sardonic humor with eye-popping martial arts action sequences to entertaining effect. Chris Tucker and Jackie Chan repeat their roles as unlikely cop buddies, starting off the film in Chan's home territory, Hong Kong, and finishing up in Tucker's, the good ole US of A.

Chan, with his sheepish deadpan delivery, makes a perfect straight man for Tucker's fast-talking bad brotha wiseacre, whose mouth engages in more heavy-duty action than Chan's karate-chopping hands and feet. Much of the humor is generated by Tucker's ability to seem totally unflustered by any peril that happens to come his way, managing to sass talk his way out of one dangerous predicament after another. Moreover, Chan's ability to create humor out of perfectly choreographed stunt sequences puts him right up there with some of the silent comedy greats like Chaplin and Keaton. The split-second perfection of these scenes, combined with the balletic grace with which they are executed, makes him one of the truly unique talents working in movies today. Luckily, in his move to mainstream American filmmaking, Chan has been able to find behind-the-scenes talent good enough to match his own. The screenplay by Jeff Nathanson, though no world-beater when it comes to originality or depth, does posses a playful spirit that works well in the context of the genre. Likewise, director Brett Ratner keeps the action percolating along at a lively, often dizzying clip.

As with most Chan films, however, `Rush Hour 2' seems to go on for about a half hour too long – even though its running time barely clocks in at a very short 90 minutes. Perhaps this type of material really can't be sustained much beyond an hour before the repetitiousness of it begins to take its toll. However, that is certainly a minor quibble about a film that, for the most part, provides plenty of laughs, some kick-ass performances and action sequences that, as per usual for a Chan film, will, quite literally, make your jaw drop. .

The 2nd Rush

Author: stamper from The Netherlands
19 November 2001

Some might say, hearing about Rush Hour 2: ‘Not another sequel! / Not another cop buddy film!' and so on. But with these kinds of films, it is not so much originality at all. It is about being entertained. I mean going to this film and wanting to see something original is like going to see The Bridges of Madison County and rooting for violence, massive shootings, flying body parts and intense profanity. Either way: THAT WILL NOT HAPPEN

Almost all things being equal, there were only two things that could screw this one up (actually three). The script or the actors. The third thing I was talking about is actually something that was in the original Rush Hour as well. Chris Rock. I have seen a handful of films with him now and find him a bit annoying at times. but this time I did not feel like that at all. Either I have become immune to his overdone behaviour all the time, it has become less worse or I'm simply getting to the point in my life where I'm accepting the fact that there are people like that in life. Either way, I thought he was better than in for instance Money Talks (and maybe even the first Rush Hour). Anyway the other two things that could have seriously screwed up this film were the script and the actors, but I must say that although the film was not too original, the story held up very well and so did the actors. The reason for that is probably that the tone of the Rush Hour films has (so far) been more comedic. It is not supposed to be serious, it is supposed to be more like Die Hard, with a couple of big explosions, a lot of fighting (less shooting than in Die Hard here) and jokes. Well as in the first one the jokes were delivered well, from beginning to end, including the bloopers. As far as the film went, I must say I thought the ending was great and I also enjoyed the last two bloopers very much. This film proves that, if the jokes and the acting are good enough they even can make up for small losses in story quality and other bad things, like action film clichés. It is kind of funny that there are films in which clichés can be really disturbing and ruin almost your whole film experience. In others however (like in this one) clichés are present, though they not ruin your experience of the matter at all. I guess it is all in the approach of the material and the cast and crew involved.

Jackie Chan (as Inspector Lee) did was he is supposed to do in this film, be funny and do a lot of fighting. There were a few difficult stunts here but not one that really made my jaw drop to the floor. I would never say this was due to the ageing of Chan like others do, because I do not know whether that is true and second of all, I did not mind that there were a few less ‘jaw dropping stunts'. It did in no way hurt the film.

To finish it all of, I have to give credit to Roselyn Sanchez, who did a great job on this film. I could just not figure out if she was supposed to be one of the ‘good guys', or the ‘bad guys'. It had nothing to do (at all) with the fact that she is very pretty. By the way, was that really a Snoopy tattoo??? I could really not tell and it wasn't because I was looking elsewhere! No, it was just, that the cinematographer did not zoom in enough. I wish he could have brought things to my attention better! Anyway, I really meant what I said about Roselyn Sanchez, both that she could act (and fight!) well and that she indeed looks very pretty. Talking about pretty (yes, AGAIN), where the hell do those filmmakers get all those pretty women? I mean if I would have been in the same situation as Carter (Chris Tucker) in the film, when he was in the massage parlour, I would have probably done the same thing. My eyes would have popped out (and probably my jaw would have dropped and my tongue would have fallen to the floor as well). DAMN. Really good of (actresses?????) people.

To get back to the film, I would really appreciate it, if the makers could bring back Roselyn Sanchez for Rush Hour 3 if they'll ever consider making another instalment. Although I don't think they have to consider, Rush Hour 3 will definitely be happening. So, Jackie and Chris: BRING IT ON FOR RUSH HOUR 3!

8 out of 10

Fun film with big personalities and plenty of action

Author: mstomaso from Vulcan
29 December 2005

Action-comedy legend Jackie Chan teams up with the amusing Chris Tucker in this off-beat sequel to the 1998 hit, Rush Hour. Both actors create likable characters with slightly more depth to them than the average comedic archetypes. Tucker is a loudmouthed clown from the LAPD, and Chan is a quiet, methodical Chief Inspector from Hong Kong. Not just racial stereotypes, their characters are developed just enough to make you want more from them - particularly Chan's.

The plot begins to develop in earnest about 1/3rd of the way through the film and takes a few predictable twists and turns until reaching a climactic conclusion. John Lone plays Chan's father's former police partner and the leader of the Triads - a huge Hong Kong gang. He plays his character like a Chinese Chris Walken and, along with Ziyi Zhang, his beautiful but psychotic partner, provides a nice dramatic balance to the lunatic Tucker and straight-man Chan. The story evolves to expose a counterfeiting plot in which the Triad, the US Secret Service, and others are all somehow involved.

Chan and Tucker have great chemistry and, with a good supporting cast, they make this sequel work. Rush Hour 2 is a fun, lightweight action film suitable for teens on up.

Rush Hour 2

Author: Jackson Booth-Millard from United Kingdom
28 June 2005

If you liked the loud mouthed trash talking black guy and the smashing stunt performing martial arts Chinese guy in the first film, then this sequel's good too. Detective James Carter and Chief Inspector Lee (Chris Tucker and Jackie Chan) return for a second rush, Rush Hour 2. A deadly gang are destroying buildings with bombs, and Carter and Lee (originally on vacation) are assigned to find the gang. Lee has the past haunting him during the process, because the gang leader, Ricky Tan (John Lone) killed his Dad. Carter is funny at being loud talking, and Lee is good at all his stunts. Also starring Zhang Ziyi as Hu Li, Roselyn Sanchez as Isabella Molina and Harris Yulin as Agent Sterling. Jackie Chan was number 41 on The 100 Greatest Movie Stars. Good!

Page 1 of 40:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]