IMDb > Marci X (2003) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Marci X

Marci X More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

We all took a job we didn't like just to pay the rent....

Author: lambiepie-2 from Los Angeles, CA
4 July 2005

...but usually in that circumstance we didn't subject the world to that knowledge.

This film has known folks in it who just did not have to do this film - for the rent or otherwise. I think there was an idea...over an apple martini or something...that someone said, "Hey - we can make a real funny movie about that!" They were wrong.

First of all....you could tell this is yet another Wayan's "inside joke". Here's some advice for the Wayans - stop joking and just be serious and or honest about it. Come out with it - whatever you want to say. Maybe your "ironic" days are over and its time to go right in and do what is exactly on your minds.

Then you have to ask what possessed Richard Benjamin, Christine Baranski and Lisa Kudrow to do this...? Rent? Taxes? A new stuffed animal they saw at Wal-Mart? Let me not trash the film - for a minute - and look at what the INTENT could have been...what this seemed to want to be was an expose of the music industry stereotypes. Okay, done not trashing and here's my truth: I've had just about enough of stereotypes in feature films to last decades. Don't get me wrong, there can be a way to do something of this nature which can be entertaining, thought provoking..maybe even satirical...the bottom line is that this is NOT the film - not the script - not the actors - not worth the time of anyone.

Why Lord Why Must this movie exist

Author: Spike Spiegel from United States
17 July 2006

When I saw this movie 3 years ago I was surprised at how awful it really was. I mean why the hell would you make this movie into a musical when none of the actors in it can sing? I thought this movie would be about Lisa Kudrow trying to act black, which would have been funny since she is the whitest girl I have ever seen, but the director decided not to go that route, like the title entails, and decided to make it into a romance musical which had a total of ONE funny moment. When Wayne's character starts singing "I wanna love you IN THE BUTT, IN THE BUTT, IN THE BUTT!!!" and all the backup singers had red targets painted on their rear ends. Thats about the only funny part of the movie, and you only laugh for a few seconds. Anyone who rated this movie a 10 either is a HUGE Waynes brother fan, or they love the smooth, sensual voice of Lisa Kudrow when she sings (FUBAR!)

I didn't think it was so bad...

Author: Furb from San Jose, CA, USA
29 February 2004

For what it purported to be, a musical comedy, it did ok. I'm no great fan of rap, so this had to be light. Of course, the courtroom scene was way over the top, but if you go back and look at some of those old Jane Powell musicals, they burst into song in the strangest places and any "spontaneous" dance is choreographed and well rehearsed, as are all the "numbers" in this one.

Of course, it's much easier and the motivation is stronger [I spent money for that!]to write a bad review than a good one, so trashing it is expected. Too bad the-powers-that-be at IMDB can't sort these into two headings instead of one generic because usually the bad reviews get in first. This'll be #29 and probably will never be read. "Que sera sera, y'all, I reckon," as they say in southern Italy.

This is like, the WORST movie ... EVER!

Author: [CouNTeRFiTTa]
23 August 2004

yeah, it's that bad. it's horrible. i can't even waste the words to explain it.

don't watch it, don't even consider watching it. if your hair's caught on fire and you go screaming through your building, and your neighbour with a bucket of water, says "watch Marci X or you're not getting this on your head" tell him to sod off. if you fall from an 8 story building break both your legs and have your ribs stuck in your heart, and the doctors in the hospital tell you "watch Marci X or no surgery" tell them to kiss your butt, because it's less painful. Believe me. And if you get abducted by aliens and they "watch Marci X or it's probin' time" tell them to watch it themselves, cause it's the worst thing you could wish for somebody.

You DON'T want to see this tasteless, mindless, pointless, substanceless piece of s**t.

It really wasn't so bad

Author: CLewis9800 from United States
28 March 2006

I read the comments before watching the movie, and just like with the "famous critics" who critique movies, that was the wrong move. I think it really depends on the mindset of the person who is watching and also it depends on the type of movie the person is looking for. So if you are looking for fun, this is a fun movie, it is not to be taken in all seriousness, just take it for what is - just plain fun. I can't complain about the language, because although I don't like rap for all of the disrespectful language, I knew this movie would have aspects of it but it was funny in spots. Everyone should form their own opinions as everyone would find different things funny.

In the What? Bottom 100? Very Unfair Rating!

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
25 January 2008

While delivering an award to her humanitarian father Ben Feld (Richard Benjamin), the stylish wealthy Jewish Caucasian Marci Feld (Lisa Kudrow) is surprised by the attack of the conservative senator Mary Ellen Spinkle (Christine Baranski) to her father in the media. The motive is the lyrics of the rap "Shoot Ya' Teacha " sing by Dr. S (Damon Wayans) and released by the hip-hop record label Felony Assault that belongs to Ben. He has a heart attack, and his daughter decides to assume the problem and negotiate a public excuse of Dr. S in the MTV Award. However, the bad boy sings a polemic song on television to humiliate Merci that gives senator Sprinkle the chance to promote the "Buttgate".

"Marci X" is a silly but hilarious movie with the charming, elegant and gorgeous Lisa Kudrow. Surprisingly it is ranked in the "Bottom 100#73", in my opinion a tremendously unfair position. Lisa Kudrow is an excellent comedian, and I am still laughing with her rap challenge on the stage with "The Power is in the Purse". The rude Damon Wayans is also funny with no surprises in his role, and Christine Baranski is specialized in performing villains and is also great. This is another movie that will never be nominated to the Oscar that some intellectuals spend their precious time seeing it to write bad reviews in IMDb, misleading those that expect to see an entertaining light and silly comedy. Fortunately I do not read reviews before watching movies. My vote is six.

Title (Brazil): "Marci X – Uma Loura Muito Louca" ("Marci X – A Very Crazy Blondie")

Arguably the Worst Movie ever

Author: metbronc88 from New York, USA
24 April 2004

"this is the funniest movie starring lisa kudrow yet. damon wayans and her are the perfect match. its a wonderful off beat comedy with some great hip-hop jokes :"i know tai-boi"-"six bills on the white chick" I THINK PEOPLE WILL FIND THIS MORE ENJOYABLE THAN ANY OTHER DAMON WAYANS MOVIE. a summer comedy that actually works.I WOULD COMPARE IT TO "AMERICAN PIE!"

Who ever wrote this is seriously distrubed or making a joke, this movie could not have satisfied me less. There was not one funny part, it was steriotipical crap. From start to finish there was nothing entertaining. IT was a little unbelievalbe that Lisa Kudrow could be A paris hilton type, because shes twice her age! Worst movie ever, don't waste your time.

This is one of the worst films of all time

Author: biggdogg173 from Chicago IL
23 August 2003

Saw this yesterday after work because I thought the story had a chance to be funny, boy how wrong I was. I have NO IDEA how Paramount actaully thought this was a good movie. I've seen better films at work about safety training. If you think about going to see this movie don't waste your time take the 90 minutes and go down to a local charity and volunteer your time. Mark this down this film will be on the list as one of the worst films of 2003, if not at the top of the list. Terrible, unfunny movie.

Classic 7 out of 10 Comedy !

Author: ahmed elshikh (ahmed_abd_elreheem@yahoo.com) from Egypt
29 November 2009

This is so nice comedy. Few times when I watch a movie and feel so good about it to the extent that I wish, while watching, that it keeps itself the way it is till the end. This time this high feel it gives kept present but maybe not to the very end.

I wasn't satisfied with the climax at the court; being very short, unconvincing, and not that hilarious. In fact the third act of the movie was nothing but recycling all the possible uses of "in the butt" as a song, a joke, whatever.. endlessly!

But. There are so many good points in here. (Damon Wayans) looks great as Dr. S, parodying so many pop icons (did you notice the voice of Snoop Dogg ?). (Lisa Kudrow), the real comic talent out of Friends' cast, is nearly playing her character from that TV show, but it worked finely. Unlike many blind reviews, there was some chemistry between the 2 leads, I hated every scene that didn't have them both. The rest of the characters were so funny, cartoonish and satiric (the 3 girl friends, the Boys R Us boy band, the jail's rap producers, the Latino young Diva,..).

And when it comes to the songs then we're talking about the most brilliant element. The song's lyrics were extremely smart, enjoyable and will live long indeed. This could've been so memorable musical. Or maybe it is yet in spoofing sort of way. (The Power in Purse) or the 2 different versions of the Boys R Us' song,..etc. I don't run into this bright spirit much.

The dialog wasn't less good. The droll lines are many (..It was his birthday !!). Plus, there is a scene where Dr. S asks his love about something she doesn't tell to anybody as secret she'd expose to the dearest one, like her weight, and when she refuses he convinces her that she can tell him only because one clear reason: he's the one who doesn't care. This is a very delicate dialog people. Rarely when we hear anything like it in any comic movie, or rather a movie, nowadays!

What I really love about this movie is its way of dealing with its subject. It exploits the modern pop scene to produce laughs. And its cleverness wasn't in the way of producing laughs out of it inasmuch as being neutral. It'll find viewers who love the "butt" thing, and others who hate it, and you know what ? It is capable of satisfying both! It wouldn't analyze why the rap songs are so lewd and violent, or is it the white foundation, or the black one, that wants and invests that, because it just lampoons everybody.

I don't know about being in the IMDb's 100 bottom movies ?!!!! It's shameful, and I do mean the IMDb's reviewers and their taste ! Maybe it's a war between companies and they hired hundreds of people to curse it everywhere!! It sure doesn't hit high as (It's Mad Mad Mad World), or hit lower like (Dude, Where's My Car). It's something in between. Well, something good as a light romantic comedy, with a lot to show as well about a culture that loves to be in the butt of all things. However that doesn't apply to the movie itself!

Finally, I don't know at all how in god's name the producers wanted (Chris Rock) in the role of (Dr. S) ??!! He's totally unfunny and so unsexy (so how to handle a scene where he dazzles the women only by his sexual charisma ?!). Aside from that, this unbearable comedian said in an interview with Entertainment Weekly "It's the worst script I've ever gotten... I'd have been happier getting an envelope full of anthrax." ..Well, I'd have been happier myself!

An abomination that I got trapped into seeing because of Scott Rudin

Author: thesundance14 from Houston, Texas
24 August 2003

Rarely are we treated to a new class of cinema. Most things done in Hollywood are rather easy to classify. Most of the "stuff" made in Hollywood these days is garbage, dreamed up by lord knows who, to meet some formula that is supposed to make money. Making movies as art has been dead for decades but we old timers still hope.

And that is how I got trapped into going to a...I really hate to call this a movie but I will for clarity...a movie called Marci-X.

Scott Rudin has produced over the years many things I thought were not much but for the most part his name associated with an effort usually meant the effort, be it off center or misguided, would still deserve an honest look. It would in the end be well presented work with a touch of class.

Well folks, this..."abomination" fits a mold but not that mold. Marci-X is so bad it needs a class all of its own. To call it simply bad is a desecration to some really all time Hollywood stinkers. This...gross theft of any viewers time and money ought to be banned forever!! That is the new class. The banned forever to a nuclear waste site so no unsuspecting fool like me might accidentally see it.

But I'm on the case here so let me mention a few things.

Lisa Kudrow is better than this kind of role. Or at least I think she is. She isn't funny, she isn't even a good stereo-type. Come to think of it she hasn't done anything good since "Friends" and that is a decade ago. Maybe the biology degree will come in handy after all?

Daymon Wayans as Doctor S. is about as funny as a train wreck. I think the guy actually has some talent but he is always portrayed as an idiot of some sort. And even as an idiot he seems to reflect a unused ability that in a proper director's hands and the right part might shine through.

Richard Benjamin is not that director and as the director of this "thing" he could justifiably be stood against the wall and given his last cigarette. He also has a supporting role and is very much like Margaret Rutherford in drag.

But the true villain in this is Scott Rudin. He put up the money and as such gave the go ahead to this garbage heap and we who have trusted his work in the past will be much more careful in the future.

Want to know what is wrong in Hollywood, go see this thing. It has all the bad in what will seem like several days of torture for one to see, but perhaps it might have value as a test of one's grit. Stand this and you can stand anything!

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]