IMDb > Marci X (2003) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Marci X

Marci X More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

I didn't think it was so bad...

Author: Furb from San Jose, CA, USA
29 February 2004

For what it purported to be, a musical comedy, it did ok. I'm no great fan of rap, so this had to be light. Of course, the courtroom scene was way over the top, but if you go back and look at some of those old Jane Powell musicals, they burst into song in the strangest places and any "spontaneous" dance is choreographed and well rehearsed, as are all the "numbers" in this one.

Of course, it's much easier and the motivation is stronger [I spent money for that!]to write a bad review than a good one, so trashing it is expected. Too bad the-powers-that-be at IMDB can't sort these into two headings instead of one generic because usually the bad reviews get in first. This'll be #29 and probably will never be read. "Que sera sera, y'all, I reckon," as they say in southern Italy.

In the What? Bottom 100? Very Unfair Rating!

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
25 January 2008

While delivering an award to her humanitarian father Ben Feld (Richard Benjamin), the stylish wealthy Jewish Caucasian Marci Feld (Lisa Kudrow) is surprised by the attack of the conservative senator Mary Ellen Spinkle (Christine Baranski) to her father in the media. The motive is the lyrics of the rap "Shoot Ya' Teacha " sing by Dr. S (Damon Wayans) and released by the hip-hop record label Felony Assault that belongs to Ben. He has a heart attack, and his daughter decides to assume the problem and negotiate a public excuse of Dr. S in the MTV Award. However, the bad boy sings a polemic song on television to humiliate Merci that gives senator Sprinkle the chance to promote the "Buttgate".

"Marci X" is a silly but hilarious movie with the charming, elegant and gorgeous Lisa Kudrow. Surprisingly it is ranked in the "Bottom 100#73", in my opinion a tremendously unfair position. Lisa Kudrow is an excellent comedian, and I am still laughing with her rap challenge on the stage with "The Power is in the Purse". The rude Damon Wayans is also funny with no surprises in his role, and Christine Baranski is specialized in performing villains and is also great. This is another movie that will never be nominated to the Oscar that some intellectuals spend their precious time seeing it to write bad reviews in IMDb, misleading those that expect to see an entertaining light and silly comedy. Fortunately I do not read reviews before watching movies. My vote is six.

Title (Brazil): "Marci X – Uma Loura Muito Louca" ("Marci X – A Very Crazy Blondie")

Why Lord Why Must this movie exist

Author: Spike Spiegel from United States
17 July 2006

When I saw this movie 3 years ago I was surprised at how awful it really was. I mean why the hell would you make this movie into a musical when none of the actors in it can sing? I thought this movie would be about Lisa Kudrow trying to act black, which would have been funny since she is the whitest girl I have ever seen, but the director decided not to go that route, like the title entails, and decided to make it into a romance musical which had a total of ONE funny moment. When Wayne's character starts singing "I wanna love you IN THE BUTT, IN THE BUTT, IN THE BUTT!!!" and all the backup singers had red targets painted on their rear ends. Thats about the only funny part of the movie, and you only laugh for a few seconds. Anyone who rated this movie a 10 either is a HUGE Waynes brother fan, or they love the smooth, sensual voice of Lisa Kudrow when she sings (FUBAR!)

It really wasn't so bad

Author: CLewis9800 from United States
28 March 2006

I read the comments before watching the movie, and just like with the "famous critics" who critique movies, that was the wrong move. I think it really depends on the mindset of the person who is watching and also it depends on the type of movie the person is looking for. So if you are looking for fun, this is a fun movie, it is not to be taken in all seriousness, just take it for what is - just plain fun. I can't complain about the language, because although I don't like rap for all of the disrespectful language, I knew this movie would have aspects of it but it was funny in spots. Everyone should form their own opinions as everyone would find different things funny.

We all took a job we didn't like just to pay the rent....

Author: lambiepie-2 from Los Angeles, CA
4 July 2005

...but usually in that circumstance we didn't subject the world to that knowledge.

This film has known folks in it who just did not have to do this film - for the rent or otherwise. I think there was an idea...over an apple martini or something...that someone said, "Hey - we can make a real funny movie about that!" They were wrong.

First of all....you could tell this is yet another Wayan's "inside joke". Here's some advice for the Wayans - stop joking and just be serious and or honest about it. Come out with it - whatever you want to say. Maybe your "ironic" days are over and its time to go right in and do what is exactly on your minds.

Then you have to ask what possessed Richard Benjamin, Christine Baranski and Lisa Kudrow to do this...? Rent? Taxes? A new stuffed animal they saw at Wal-Mart? Let me not trash the film - for a minute - and look at what the INTENT could have been...what this seemed to want to be was an expose of the music industry stereotypes. Okay, done not trashing and here's my truth: I've had just about enough of stereotypes in feature films to last decades. Don't get me wrong, there can be a way to do something of this nature which can be entertaining, thought provoking..maybe even satirical...the bottom line is that this is NOT the film - not the script - not the actors - not worth the time of anyone.

This is like, the WORST movie ... EVER!

Author: [CouNTeRFiTTa]
23 August 2004

yeah, it's that bad. it's horrible. i can't even waste the words to explain it.

don't watch it, don't even consider watching it. if your hair's caught on fire and you go screaming through your building, and your neighbour with a bucket of water, says "watch Marci X or you're not getting this on your head" tell him to sod off. if you fall from an 8 story building break both your legs and have your ribs stuck in your heart, and the doctors in the hospital tell you "watch Marci X or no surgery" tell them to kiss your butt, because it's less painful. Believe me. And if you get abducted by aliens and they "watch Marci X or it's probin' time" tell them to watch it themselves, cause it's the worst thing you could wish for somebody.

You DON'T want to see this tasteless, mindless, pointless, substanceless piece of s**t.

Arguably the Worst Movie ever

Author: metbronc88 from New York, USA
24 April 2004

"this is the funniest movie starring lisa kudrow yet. damon wayans and her are the perfect match. its a wonderful off beat comedy with some great hip-hop jokes :"i know tai-boi"-"six bills on the white chick" I THINK PEOPLE WILL FIND THIS MORE ENJOYABLE THAN ANY OTHER DAMON WAYANS MOVIE. a summer comedy that actually works.I WOULD COMPARE IT TO "AMERICAN PIE!"

Who ever wrote this is seriously distrubed or making a joke, this movie could not have satisfied me less. There was not one funny part, it was steriotipical crap. From start to finish there was nothing entertaining. IT was a little unbelievalbe that Lisa Kudrow could be A paris hilton type, because shes twice her age! Worst movie ever, don't waste your time.

Sunshine and Prozac.....

Author: FlashCallahan from Leicester, United Kingdom
28 September 2013

Marci, a spoiled Princess, is forced to take control of her father's rap label, when he has a stress-induced heart attack due to the controversy surrounding the label's star Dr. $.

To salvage her father's plummeting stock, Marci attempts to tone down the rapper's bad- boy edge.

Over time, the pair fall in love, just as a conservative senator vows to banish the rapper and his offensive lyrics from the airwaves forever...

Well first off, it's not bottom 100 bad, like it used to be for a very long whirl, but it is very flimsy in trying to get its message across, and because it verges so closely to a spoof, rather than a parody, it goes over a lot of peoples heads.

Other than that, its short, Kudrow isn't too annoying, and Wayans as usual is brilliant in his depiction of the most nonthreatening gangster rapper that ever wore an over-sized zip.

The film is about excess, and how too much money takes you away from the real world, but as I've said before, its clunky on delivering this message, and come the end, you dislike the characters just as much as you did before they learned there life lessons.

But there are funny scenes, and there is a good snipe at processed boy bands. If you roll your eyes at The X-Factor, this could be the antidote...

...........

Author: Mike (muddawg2138@aol.com) from Tennessee
21 January 2004

Just like the vote i gave it.....1. AWFUL!!!! I can't even comment on this terrible movie. The so called "HARDCORE GANSTA RAP" sounded like some Hardcore Justin Timberlake.

Mike

A travesty--and very painful to watch

Author: daubreywhite from Surrey, British Columbia, Canada
6 September 2003

I think that, at some point, there was a good script behind this film. In the process of producing it, though, things went wrong. Hideously wrong.

There are some extremely biting jokes in this film, and that is the best I can say about it.

If, indeed, the film did start out with a good script, then shame on the filmmakers for ruining it.

If this film started out nearly as bad as it ended up being, then the actors must have been desperate; Wayans and Krakowski, for publicity, Baranski, for money, and Kudrow, for....

You really have to wonder why Lisa Kudrow was in this film. She doesn't need the money, and she doesn't need the fame. What she needs is to break into the movies (something certain "Friends" stars can't seem to manage), and you can see from a mile away that this is not going to help her do that.

Don't pay to watch this. Don't even spend your time on it.

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]