IMDb > Finding Nemo (2003) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Finding Nemo

Finding Nemo More at IMDbPro »

Page 8 of 87: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [Next]

hmm, what's this about

Author: sebaveron2001 ( from The North West of England
3 February 2004

Finding Nemo, is surprisigly classy and unsentimental. Following Nemo A clown fish who just doesn't want his dad bugging him dares to touch a ship and gets picked up by a giant boat net with P. Waterman written in it. A truly brilliant adventure with rides on sea turtles, the Sidney ocean, a selfish fish beating but good meaning girl, everyone will love it unless they are afraid of sharks.

***1/2 out of 4

Part irritating kids film and part spectacular underwater adventure.

Author: Steve West from Adelaide, Australia
25 January 2004

Okay, so Pixar have to release films under the Disney banner guaranteeing that all of their films will have a happy ending, appeal to kids from toddlers up and have the occasional syrupy, manipulative heart-tugging scene thrown in. But Pixar being Pixar, arguably the finest computer animators in the business, know how to use the freedom of the computer animated world to create previously unseen spectacles and go where no motion picture has gone before. We all know we want to see Pixar films, is there really any reason to be reading reviews when the names "Pixar" and "Disney" on the cover say it all?

A movie about . . . fish?

Author: jaywolfenstien from USA
2 December 2003

`How in the world could a movie about fish be interesting?' That was my reaction to this film's announcement and advertising. But fortunately it is a Pixar film, and I love Pixar's films from Toy Story to Monsters Inc. so when a friend called looking for someone to see Nemo with, I agreed still expecting to be bored out of my mind. The people at Pixar truly surprised me and put my expectations in their place.

Where I pictured gloomy underwater shots through and through, Pixar envisioned a remarkably colorful world seen through a slightly distorted dreamy lens. Very seldom has the canvass of the silver screen been utilized so ingeniously with its composition. Where I saw emotionless/expressionless creatures swimming back and forth, Pixar created the full spectrum of emotion and a plethora of fun personalities, then sent them on family-fun roller coaster ride along the ocean's bottom, and packed the rest of the film with the gags and jokes found in abundance in Toy Story and Monsters Inc.

An entire underwater world opens up to the viewer in ways the Little Mermaid could only dream . . . in ways far beyond the grasp of live action films. A visually fantastic world, with plenty of surprises up its sleeve. I couldn't help but smile as Pixar would tease and hint at the next landmark the film would take me to, then chuckle when it arrived in its fun and heartwarming way.

With other studios laying their own claim to the realm of feature length computer animation films (and fairing extraordinarily well with the likes of Shrek and Ice Age), it's a pleasure to see that Pixar has not gotten lazy. They still possess their own edge, and if Finding Nemo is any evidence, there's going to be a damn good fight over the title of `best computer animated film.' That's wonderful news to the viewers . . . I for one don't have any problem seeing more from the makers of Toy Story, Shrek, and Ice Age.

Though next up for Pixar or Dreamworks or Fox, I wouldn't mind seeing a renewal of the animated musicals reminiscent of late 80s, early 90s, and classic Disney features. Anyway, I'm getting off topic. I went into Finding Nemo expecting to be bored, and I came out of the theatre very happy with the time investment.

I will also add, it's refreshing to find animated films can still hold up even after the viewer has grown up. Ten years ago, in middle school, The Lion King caught me in a way that few films ever did; for me, films like Finding Nemo and Shrek affirm that animation holds that magic regardless of what the viewer's age.

The sharks not vegetarian, just not fish eaters?

Author: hiroki-3 from Washington DC, USA
30 November 2003

One of the funnier things that I missed initially is that Bruce, a great white, Chum, a mako, and Anchor, a hammerhead are all shark species that attack people... While they may be swearing off eating fish, there is nothing to say that they aren't getting their fill off people instead.

Maritime Memento

Author: Andrew Hutchings from Calne, England
15 November 2003

My favourite character, Dory, has short-term memory loss, so that's why I was reminded of 'Memento'. I saw this film by accident, because my original choice was thwarted because 'the film had broken down'. What good fortune because otherwise I suppose I may never have experienced 'Finding Nemo'. This was definitely the best animation I have ever seen, Disney classics aside. (You know, the 'real' animation.) Forget 'Monsters Inc'. That was good. Even the Toy Story movies aren't as good as this one, in my opinion. There isn't a dull moment in this highly intelligent film, which, on the fish face of it, sounded pretty boring. This is the real 'Ocean's 11'...getting to Nemo at the eleventh hour. When I watch a film like this, I wonder how other script-writers sleep at night. This has got more class than a hundred non-animated films I could mention put together. There is simply nothing bad to say about this movie. My only negative thought is that I was hoping the shipwreck was going to be the 'Titanic'! (but we were in the wrong ocean for that.) I liked the 'other movie jokes' such as 'Terminator' and felt that a mickey-take of 'Titanic' could have been appropriate, especially as some idiots have just voted it the worst film ever made. Well, it gets in my top five, actually -'titanic' that is, because I can't really 'do' cartoon lists. If I did, 'Peter Pan' would be my number one, with 'Finding Nemo' in that top five somewhere. I am almost considering buying this film eventually, it's that good. 8 out of 10. Impossible to dislike this, unless you're born miserable.

No Phil Collins song, but lots of fishy fun.

Author: David Lees (02001525) from Huddersfield
4 November 2003

I thought Pixar would struggle with the ocean but they have pulled it off. An absolutely fantastic storyline with amazing scenery and jokes that will keep you laughing every minute of the movie. My mum and dad loved it and so did my 4 year old god daughter. A movie definitely for all ages. The movie always provides laughter but a bit of sadness to go with it, but who doesn't want that in the storyline. The fish with the voice of Ellen is fantastic, the representation of Seagulls is also something you have to see. I advise...see it and buy it.

Fishy goings on.

Author: mjlevine from London, England
21 October 2003

This film tells the unlikely story of Marlin, a Clown fish, losing his son 'Nemo' and the journey he embarks on to be re-united with him.

The computer animation of the fish in this film is superb. The human animation is less amazing. I took my 8 and 13 year old daughters to see this film and they both enjoyed it. Personally I object to films where animals are given human characteristics or behaviour. The story is quite simply weak and lacks any of the adult humour found in Shrek and Toy Story. In fact some of the very young children in the cinema started to get restless during some of the 'slower' points of the film.

How do they do it?

Author: Tom from Amsterdam, The Netherlands
29 September 2003

You tend to get bored on an airplane. Not on my flight! From Amsterdam to New York takes about eight hrs, and I wasn't bored for a single minute. Cause they had all these cool movies to watch! So I started with the Matrix; Reloaded (not so good), followed by Finding Nemo.

Those guys @ Pixar, how do they do it? They always seem to find a new angle and a complete different idea for their movies. For instance; Toy Story 2 was totaly different from TS1, although it features a lot of the same characters.

And now this; Finding Nemo...

I didnt really know what to expect; a fish searching for his lost son, who's been kidnapped by a dentist? But hey, its a Pixar movie, so its gotta be good, right?

And so it was! I couldn't get that smile of my face, because this movie is hilarious! Starting with the totally new characters, the crazy storyline, and still it has that great "Pixar-feel" to it. Bright, vibrant colours, great voice acting, and -wow- beautifully animated (if that is correct English).

This is another MustHave for my DVD collection!

Realistic Animation

Author: redgg2002 from Edmonton, Canada
13 September 2003

Pixar has done an outstanding job on this one. For the last few years I have found out that every time I go to see an animated movie, it seems more realistic. The computer graphics are extremely fine tuned to match the character's personality and voice. The movie is inspiring on various levels. Firstly, the strong bonding between a father and son is depicted with exceptional clarity. The first school-going experience is so close to human experience that kids can immediately relate to it. It makes one wish , every kid had a affectionate and daring father like Marlin. For those kids (or adults) who have'nt known a father's love, the father-son scenes could be quite emotional. Secondly, the general underlying message of preserving marine life in its pristine form is well conveyed. The current commercial fishing practice of trawling the ocean floor clean with utter disregard to any life is shocking to say the least. I hope people and governments take notice and do something to prevent the destruction of the last frontier on this planet. Overall the movie is thoroughly enjoyable whether you are kid or an adult.

Great movie looking forward to it coming out on DVD

Author: Andrew from Penrith, Australia
11 September 2003

What can I say another Disney/Pixar success. I've gotta say my favourite character is Crush. He's the one that will bring California surf talk back onto the world stage.

It's great to hear real Aussie actors in a big budget animated movie. I've also gotta say that I loved how the little characters made the movie what it is such as our own local tv personality Rove McManus as one of the crabs getting off on the bubbles coming out of the sewer pipe.

On such a sad day like today it's great to be able to smile just a bit. Let's never forget the people who aren't with us today.

Dude... dude...dude...

P.S Sydney Harbour isn't that clean btw. Just thought I'd point that out.