IMDb > Finding Nemo (2003) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Finding Nemo

Finding Nemo More at IMDbPro »

Page 7 of 87: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]

There are 3.7 trillion fish in the ocean, and they're looking for one.

Author: Lady Targaryen from Brazil
30 January 2006

''Finding Nemo'' is one of the sweetest movies I have watched this days. Produced by the both powerful Disney and Pixar with amazing graphics and a nice story, I am not surprised that this movie won the Oscar.

In the Ocean, we see Marlin and Coral, a couple of clown fish that are very happy to have kids. But when both Marlin and Coral needs to hide from their predator, Coral stays so worried with the eggs that runs out of their shelter to save them. But the worst happens, and Coral and the eggs are all consumed by the predator. Marlin is devastate, when he sees one little egg that wasn't taken away. He decides to call him 'Nemo'and take care very well of the only son that lasted. Time passes, and Nemo needs to go to school and do other stuff, but his father is always forbidding him because of his trauma with Coral and the other sons. When Marlin finally let Nemo go to the school, he is captured by a scuba diver and taken to live in a dentist office's fish tank. Decided to take his son back, Marlin will find other animals that are very funny and different, like Dory, who is always forgetting things, vegetarian sharks and turtles who are surfers.

Thoroughly enjoyable, but the sum does not equal the parts.

Author: saska-3 from Redmond, WA
2 June 2003

Fresh off a viewing in a packed theater of kids and parents, my initial impression of "Finding Nemo" was that I had a great time throughout, but don't necessarily remember why. The film is similar to the "Toy Story" pacing, in that we follow two different protagonists in their attempt to return to one another. In brief summary, Marlin the overprotective father clownfish must overcome his own fear of open ocean to try and find his only son, Nemo, who has been captured by a diver and transplanted to an ocean-view dentist's office fish tank.

The visual impact of "Finding Nemo" is unparalleled in animated film. At its best, it compares to the experience of seeing the sweeping landscapes of "Fellowship of the Ring" for the first time - not until we own the DVD and my son has watched it a dozen times will I really have an opportunity to see the details crammed into the lush backgrounds of the coral reefs. It was noticeable, however, that frequent close-ups in open water were used to reduce the amount of time spent rendering those brilliant backgrounds. In comparison to Pixar films like "A Bug's Life", where every moment of the film includes rich textures and detailed background perspective, this seemed jarring at times. It should be noted that this is true to what the ocean looks like - if you're not diving in a coral reef, you are probably seeing a lot of floating detritus and gray water - but it's worth mentioning that the fish tank environment of Nemo and his fellow captives is, at times, more interesting than the open ocean.

Pixar took chances (or else saved money) with many of the voice actors used in the film. It was refreshing not to instantly "know" a voice was familiar in the case of many of the characters - all of them did a serviceable job, although the well-known actors also turned in some of the best performances. Ellen DeGeneres had no fear as the voice of Dory, gleefully pulling off vocal pratfalls that would have been hampered by someone else's sense of dignity. I can think of only one other actress - Julia Louis-Dreyfuss - who I think would have been able to do Dory well. Kudos to Ellen. Willem Dafoe is also noticeably brilliant as Gill, and it's a bonus that the animated character he plays is gorgeously realized. John Ratzenberger does a hysterical turn as the school of fish we all saw in the previews.

I am surprised at the number of characters whose voices are not credited in this film. I wanted to know, among others, who voiced Mr. Ray the schoolteacher and the trio of parents with whom Marlin banters.

I laughed out loud frequently and heartily throughout the film, but at the end, I looked back and wondered how those moments of amusement added to the story. Many people have commented that they loved the 12-step program for sharks ("Fish are our friends, not food!") but in the final analysis, it added very little to the arc and seemed out of character (I realize I'm stating the obvious). The frequently-dropped comedic digressions were the weak point in this picture, especially compared to "A Bug's Life", where the funniest moments of the film are all critical to the progress of the protagonist and impact the end of the story.

My 2 and a half year old son was frequently frightened to the point of crying out and grabbing on to me during the movie, and he followed the primary issues easily. At a particular moment in the film when things seemed hopeless, I heard dozens of young children beginning to cry. If your child is very affected by scary or dramatic moments in movies, you may want to talk with them about "pretend" versus "real" and prepare them for the eventuality that everything will turn out all right well before you go into the theater. His final analysis was that "the fish movie was good!" - so take it under advisement if you have kids of similar age.

I give "Finding Nemo" an 8 out of 10 on the strength of its visual lushness, its enjoyable voice work, and its moments of perfectly timed humor. It does not, in my opinion, match the strength as a *film* of earlier Pixar offerings, but even in its innocuous state, it's higher quality than most of the family films I've seen in the past 3 years.

Most adventurous animated movie I've ever seen

Author: abduamerharthi
22 August 2016

Timeless adventure!

One of the most heartwarming movies I've ever seen. After seeing this again recently, I couldn't wait for the sequel "Finding Dory" because Dory was hilarious in this one. Stunning visuals are what define this movie. A very emotional movie that showcases how would a father react if he lost his only son. The father would do anything, and I mean anything to bring back his child back home. Finding Nemo is an adventure that I've always wished to have. A very fun, very emotional, very captivating experience of a film. One of the best animated movies. Makes you laugh, cry, wow, and care about the film.

Grade: A=9.5/10 (Amazing).

Fishing for courage

Author: Thomas (filmreviews@web.de) from Berlin, Germany
1 December 2015

"Finding Nemo" is an American animated movie from 12 years ago and certainly one of the most known animated films in history, not only because it is an Oscar winner, but because it solidified Pixar's and Disney's collaborative efforts that went on till this date. I personally see a couple parallels to the classic "Little Mermaid" from almost 15 years earlier. Of course, the film takes place almost entirely under the sea, but it is also about a difficult father-child relationship and about one part of that relationship finding the right approach to life and letting go that will actually help him bond with his offspring again. A great film for fathers. There is not that much memorable music in here, but also lots of heart, even if a crucial love story is missing. I'm not sure if I would call Marlin/Dory one and if so, it's not the core plot of the film.

Andrew Stanton and Lee Unkrich are obviously known to everybody with an interest in animated films in the last years. Same probably goes for Bob Peterson, who is a voice actor in here as well. Still, there are also "real" actors lending their voices to characters in this one, such as Albert Brooks, Willem Dafoe, Allison Janney or Geoffrey Rush, a personal favorite of mine. He fits nicely in here with the Australian background. Nothing to say about the animation in this 100-minute movie. It's really good. The characters are all interesting and almost all fun. Even the scary sharks bring some comedy when they try to work on their images problem early on. The only really scary creatures in here were the jellyfish. Oh wait that's not correct. The fishermen were 10 times scarier and also with the final breaking free scene probably the main antagonists.

I personally would say I enjoyed this film, but I also think one watch is enough. The story is fine, but it does not work on an emotional level for me as it aspires except the truly sad prologue and Dory's "I don't wanna forget." maybe. The comedy is pretty good from start to finish with all its funny scenes and dialogs, especially Dory's as well who is a great addition and brings great comic relief during the entire movie. Not too long anymore until we get the sequel to this one. Hopefully they'll come up with something good again, but I am positive they will. It certainly is a challenge to build something around Dory's amnesia, but it looks like they took the possibly easy way out with her gone missing this time, so the story will probably focus more on the 2 clown fish. Until then, "Finding Nemo" is worth checking out in case of the unlikely scenario that you really haven't seen it yet.

Overrated But Nice Children Movie(SPOILERS)

Author: I_Am_The_Taylrus from Minnesota
14 February 2007

SPOILERS

I am not the biggest fan of computer-animated movies. In fact, I think most of them are overrated. My favorite is probably the Incredibles. That is good. This, however, is overrated. I really like Albert Brook's work, but this is probably One of his more overrated movies. He did a terrific performance as a clown fish, though. I just do not think that this is his best movie that he had starred in. The plot is simple, but some things in this movie are cheesy and lame.

Here is the plot. A clown fish only has one child after another fish ate his wife and his egg children. Then, the last fish named Nemo is captured by a boat and taken to a tank in a dentist office. If he does not get out soon he will get killed by the psycho child. She even has her own Psycho music. The dad and a fish with short term memory loss have to try to get Nemo back. They go through difficulties. For one thing, they are eaten by a whale shark, they get attacked by jellyfish, and they are attacked an angler-fish. They eventually do get Nemo back from a pipe.

Overall, this is a film that young children will enjoy, but I do not think this film is the best computer-animated or Pixar film. This is an average one to say the least. The acting is good, though. Plus, the computer-animation is spectacular and pleasing to the eye, which is good for me since I have seen so many scratchy and grainy silent films. The effects are not all good, though. Some of the colors are so vivid you will temporarily go blind. Anyway, this is an average and overrated Pixar film, but it is enjoyable to watch at least once in your life nonetheless.

Recommended Films: Cars, Toy Story, and the Incredibles.

"Climb aboard, explorers!"

Author: slymusic from Tucson, AZ
9 March 2006

"Finding Nemo" is a superb motion picture created at Pixar Animation Studios. Make no mistake about it; this movie boasts quite an exciting adventure story that will keep you on the edge of your seat. That's how wonderful it is! (If you have not yet seen this movie, please do not read the next few paragraphs.)

The story is about a clown fish named Marlin (voiced by Albert Brooks), whose son Nemo (voiced by Alexander Gould) is snatched away by scuba divers. Marlin meets a friendly, energetic, completely absent-minded blue tang fish named Dory (voiced by Ellen DeGeneres), and together they go on a frantic yet thrilling search for Nemo, all the while meeting a host of friendly & unfriendly characters and risking their lives time and again. Over the course of the movie, Nemo learns to believe in himself and his own strength, and Marlin learns, after going on such a long journey all across the vast ocean, to not be so overprotective of his son. In the end, Marlin tells Nemo to "go have an adventure."

The following are my favorite highlights from "Finding Nemo." Marlin and Dory create a game out of dodging an overwhelming crowd of jellyfish. When the French cleaner shrimp Jacques (voiced by Joe Ranft) spins Nemo around in the fish tank, the accompanying accordion music, typifying the Parisian atmospheres, makes this scene that much funnier. There is much commotion in the dentist's office when the helpful pelican Nigel (voiced by Geoffrey Rush) bursts in and distracts both the dentist (voiced by Bill Hunter) and his freakish niece Darla (voiced by LuLu Ebeling) in order to save Nemo from an early demise. The end credits involve practically all of the main marine characters engaging in some funny antics, and the catchy tune "Beyond the Sea" was an excellent choice of musical accompaniment. No sooner do Marlin and Nemo reunite at the end when a huge net swoops onto a massive school of fish, including Dory, and father & son take on a suspenseful moment by coaxing all the fish to swim downward together. There is a wonderful chase sequence, which is actually more hilarious than dangerous, involving Marlin and Dory against a gigantic Austrailian shark named Bruce (voiced by Barry Humphries), who is initially tame until his uproariously funny moment of smelling blood oozing from Dory's snout; equally hilarious are Bruce's two cronies' attempts to console Marlin and Dory through the torpedo chamber. Nemo almost gets himself killed in the tank when he tries to prove his courage, thanks to Gill (voiced by Willem Dafoe), by stopping the motor in the tank filter. And finally, Mr. Ray (voiced by co-writer Bob Peterson), who is one of my favorite characters in the movie, is quite amusing as a schoolteacher who is overly enthusiastic about his subject matter, especially when he's singing while taking his students on a field trip.

"Finding Nemo" is a surefire winner that can be enjoyed by people of all ages. It's quite obvious that the entire team at Pixar put a tremendous amount of effort into making this picture. Executive producer John Lasseter admitted that he knew "Finding Nemo" was going to be a smash hit even during its darkest days of production, and he was absolutely right!

Giggle

Author: Mongoose-Dog from USA
1 May 2004

I thought this was precious. Even if you're not a kid you'll still love it. In every Disney movie I've ever seen there are always jokes that kids will never get but the adults always pick up on. Nemo is no different. And the characters are so funny. There's this one character named Bubbles, he lives in a fish tank and every time this little treasure chest opens it let's out little bubbles. And every time they come out he races over to it screaming "Bubbles! Bubbles! My bubbles!" He's just so funny. And the sea turtles are awesome! Totally. =], anyhow, it's really such a wonderful movie, and you really feel for the characters. All Nemo is trying to do it get home to his daddy. Its so sad, but he's got great friends to help him out! Very cute, A+!

how cinematic and dramatic elements bring out its literary elements

Author: crezyheelsfan2005 from Hillsborough, NC
25 April 2004

There are a number of ways that the cinematic and literary elements bring out the literary elements in "Finding Nemo." The scenery helps the viewer to identify that it is set in an ocean by using reefs and various types of fish and sharks along with the water. The lighting also helps this by the way that it shines through the water. It was kind of milky looking. Sound effects also helped the setting because there were sounds of fishes swimming through the water and engines from boats. Music helped to set the tone at various points throughout the movie by playing happy music when a great event has occured, sad music when something bad occured, and ominous sounding music when the viewer is supposed to not be sure about the outcome of a specific event. Dialogue was a huge factor in this film. Without it, there would be little symbolism, the plot would be unclear, and the character's traits would be a bit murky. In the dialogue, the characters uttered common sayings such as "I'm glad I got that off my chest," which means a problem had been solved, and they also talked about the glass being half full or half empty dilemma which was to symbolize who was the optimist and the pessimist. This was brought up when Dorrie and Marlon were trapped in the whale and the water was going down in the whale's mouth. Dorrie said that the mouth was half full, and Marlon said that it was half empty. Another type of symbolism also occured in the whale when Marlon asked "How do I taste, Moby?" That was in reference to Moby Dick, a play in which one of the main characters was a whale. Dialogue also played a huge part in helping the viewer characterize the characters. Marlon was always saying stuff to Nemo like "You're not going to be able to get out of there yourself," and he said to Dorrie that she could not speak whale. This led the viewer to characterize Marlon as an overprotective, negative father. Dorrie and Nemo, on the other hand, were always saying comments like "Yes, I can," and "Just let me do this!" This would help to characterize them as the exact opposite of Marlon- they were positive and not overbearing. Dialogue also helped the plot to advance in the movie. In the beginning, Nemo and his dad were on the way to school and they were talking about meeting sharks and sea turtles and wondering how old sea turtles were. Marlon said that he would ask the sea turtle for his age after he met the shark, and he ended up meeting both later in the film while he was looking for Nemo. Dialogue also helped the theme because it was a positive theme, and Dorrie and Nemo and other fish were always positive.

Who's looking?

Author: Framescourer from London, UK
14 March 2004

I like the title of this film. The idea is that not only should the child/fish - Nemo - discover himself, but primarily that his father should discover that he's an autocratic individual who is grows best and strongest when undertaking his own responsibility. Could this be a liberal Disney/Pixar post-9/11 movie?

The film's has two great strengths. First up is telling the story quite quickly - there's no pseud time lapse between Nemo getting 'lost' and Marlin - the father - going off to find him. Secondly it's very sharp-witted and funny, not least because it's so well observed.

I did find that Ellen Degeneres' Phoebe-on-tartrazine foil for (Brooks')Marlin could be wearing, but that's really the nature of the character as well as that of the actor. Some of the smaller parts were a little bland in voicing maybe. The animation can brook no criticism though 7/10

I can speak whale! Wwwwwwaaaaaaa

Author: Dimitri (mitru) from New York City
6 February 2004

I took this hot little viet girl to see this flick. I was pleasantly surprised by how good it was. The story left none of the strings untied. They dotted all their I's, and crossed all their T's. It was a bite size story, and fun to watch. The animation was AMAZING. I mean that. AMAZING. This is one the kids will LOVE. See it in the theater, or buy it for home... but beware... BRUCE is a SCARY SHARK! He'll make you jump in your seat at least once.