IMDb > Finding Nemo (2003) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Finding Nemo

Finding Nemo More at IMDbPro »

Page 16 of 87: [Prev][11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [Next]

P. Sherman, 42 Wallaby Way, Sydney

Author: natcas from Los Angeles, CA, USA
13 June 2003

What a delightful film. The best animated film I've seen in a LONG time. Some excellent actors (Albert Brooks, Ellen DeGeneres, Geoffrey Rush, Willem Dafoe) and witty insight into the sea world. There was nothing disappointing about this film. You must see it! It will definitely lift your spirits, and it's the best thing, I think, Pixar's done.

Absolutley Fantastic, Best Pixar movie yet

Author: trackchris1987 from Texas
12 June 2003

Despite what many would say as the worst Pixar movie, I believe Finding Nemo to be the best of their 5 movies. The other ones were great too but i really thought that you got to know the characters much more in Finding Nemo then the others. It had more of a point than the others did, yet still was just as hilarious as the others. Pixar has not lost its touch yet. A+.

Piscatorial Panache

Author: dfarhie-1 from Austin, Texas
12 June 2003

Pixar has served up another platter full of treats in this marineland version of The Incredible Journey. This time it's an overprotective father looking for his fearless but missing son encountering all manner of wonders and wonderful sea creatures perfectly voiced by such top-notch personae as Ellen DeGeneres, Geoffrey Rush, Albert Brooks, Willem Dafoe,Dame Edna, Eric Bana and Allison Janney. The underwater imagery is fantastically detailed and amazingly realistic. Pixar seems to do what few studios can, learn from what works and not be afraid to explore new digital territory in a laudible desire to be more realistic. This is the penultimate Pixar, the aquatic acme, the picean peak..dare I go on. In a clamshell, the movie is stunningly beautiful and appeals to all audiences, although I would have liked to see the movie sans-enfants..maybe I can find a 10:30 PM show? go, no RUN to see this film..you won't be sorry.

absolutely hilarious!!

Author: looneybuni from minneapolis, Mn
12 June 2003

wow, were some critics wrong when they said this movie is more for children than adults. it definitely is for both. i laughed the whole way through watching this movie and so did all those around me. all the kids were so entertained that they all stopped crying/bouncing/talking the moment the movie began until the end!! and after the movie was over, i could hear adults STILL talking about their favorite lines and arguing about which was their favorite character. and the animation was AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME. great screenplay and great characters. and so imaginative. EVERYONE should see this movie.

Wonderful (spoilers...?)

Author: Ghetto_superstar1989 from In the deep, blue sea...
11 June 2003

When I went to see this film with my friend, I noticed there were a lot of little kids in the theater. Enough about that. I watched the movie and I thought it was adorable. It was sweet how in the beginning when a large fish eats the mother clown fish and the rest of her babies, the father promises to take care of the remaining egg (Nemo).

I must say, the dentist's seven-year-old niece is the ugliest character ever conceived. She's a fish murderer! She should be killed off!!!

At school (not inside the movie) a girl was complaining about how stupid this film was and that LOTR and Harry Potter is better. I don't care about opinions, though. This was still a sweet movie

A lively and beautiful summer treat.

Author: slimjack (gilbertfolio@gmail.com) from Elmira, NY
11 June 2003

Fish. How the heck do you make a movie about fish? Fish are good for hooking, cleaning and frying but to make an animated adventure about them? Seems like a long shot to me. Luckily for us Pixar Studios took up the challenge and made the computer animated Finding Nemo. This is an astoundingly beautiful, touching and very funny movie about…ah…fish.

The plot of Finding Nemo is simple. In a comparatively tough opening scene (for a children's movie) clownfish Marlin loses his wife and all but one of their thousand-odd eggs. The surviving egg hatches to become the titular Nemo, a feisty little fry suffering under the watchful eye of his overprotective father. One day Nemo feels particularly put upon and swims off into dangerous water. Naturally he is captured by divers and soon finds himself captive in a fish tank. Thus begins Marlin's quest to find and save his son. At first glance, this looks like standard kiddy movie fodder. Dangers are faced. Fears are overcome and (big L) Lessons are Learned. The sort of pabulum parents dread sitting through and kids quickly tire of. For the most part though Pixar successfully navigates the shoals of the mundane. They fill Finding Nemo with enough fascinating details and humorous asides that you forget you've seen essentially the same movie a hundred times on Nickelodeon. From the dental groupie denizens of Nemo's fish tank to the single-minded seagulls the movie will snag even the most adult viewer's attention throughout.

The first thing that hits you in Finding Nemo is how gorgeous the movie is. The undersea environment simply ripples with color, texture and detail, especially in opening scenes set in a crowded coral reef. Traditional cell animation cannot begin to compete with computer animation in this area.

Pixar has always been extraordinarily clever in casting the voices of their features and Finding Nemo is no exception. Albert Brooks, an actor known for his neurotic roles, is perfect as the driven father fish Marlin. Willem Dafoe as Gill, Nemo's fish tank mentor, is every old con that ever led an escape attempt. Barry Humphries, usually heard and seen as Dame Edna Everage, sounds exactly like what you'd expect a talking shark to sound like. The featured voices include Eric Bana, Bruce Spence, Elizabeth Perkins, Austin Pendleton, John Ratzenberger and Geoffrey Rush among other - all perfectly cast and all fitting their animated counterparts perfectly. The standout performance, however, is Ellen DeGeneres as Dory the bluefish. She steals the show as Marlin's enthusiastically helpful companion with an unfortunate memory problem.

Finding Nemo does have its faults. Some sequences are played at such a frenetic pace it becomes hard to sort out what is happening. In particular Marlin and Dory's encounter with a trio of over-friendly sharks suffers from a too frenzied approach. If I hadn't read that they had stumbled into a Meat-a-holic Anonymous meeting I would probably have missed the joke. This, however, is a relatively minor blip in an otherwise consistently delightful film. With its wealth of humor, vibrant color and stunning attention to detail Finding Nemo is well worth a viewing on the big screen.

Masterful animation

Author: A R Biggs from Canada
11 June 2003

Pixar are my favourite studio and they do not disappoint with "Finding Nemo". However, it was, for me, not quite as entertaining as their previous four feature masterpieces. Maybe the formula is starting to show through (there were some blatent reuse of comedic style from previous movies in the dialogue) or maybe it was because it was aimed more directly at a young child audience more than the others, but the entertainment didn't feel as rich, the humour not quite so funny.

That said, what was lacking slightly in the originality of story and script, is more than made up for in the quality of the animation. The animation is rich and fluid and, well, just wonderful. I can't wait to scrutinize it more in November when the DVD is released.

I don't know how many of you know Dame Edna, but it shows that Pixar know their comedians when they chose her alter-ego Barry Humphries to voice the Shark. I'm not, however a fan of Ellen and this spoilt my enjoyment of the sidekick fish a little - but I also think her character in the film bordered on annoying more than funny in some scenes.

I'm being brutally critical here. The film's definitely worth watching and confirms my opinion that Pixar are at the top of their craft and are showing up in-house Disney productions of late.

Its great!

Author: dickrichie-1 from Orlando
11 June 2003

My one line summary says it all. Another amazing film from Pixar and Disney. I hope that for all of our sakes they keep it up. It would be awful to see such an amazing pair break up. Both sides need to just kiss and make up. It would be like life if Batman and Robin were never together or should it be better said Woody and Buzz.

Funniest children's movie!

Author: mscinnamon from Washington, DC USA
11 June 2003

I truly enjoyed this movie! I love cartoons anyway, but this one is much better than all the other children's movies I have ever seen. I particularly enjoy Pixar movies for the realistic sceneries. I am not an Ellen DeGeneres fan, but she made the movie! The best part was when her character, Dory, was speaking "whale"! "Finding Nemo" gives children an idea of the life of a fish. It also teaches disappointment, loss, perseverance and making friends from a child's perspective. This is definitely a movie you will want in your permanent library.

Find your way to the theaters

Author: jwillis81 from Los Angeles, CA
10 June 2003

Plain and simple, go see this movie. Unless you hate Disney or animated features, this is definitely a fish tale you'll want to check out. I would say this is the best animated feature since Shrek. It's got everything you could want - excitement, adventure, and of course, lots of humor. The characters are all fun, my personal favorites being Dory, and the turtles, Crush and Squirt.

And as an added bonus of seeing it in the theater, before the show there's a Pixar short that's really good. So if you've got little kids, or just enjoy family movies, go see this one; you won't be disappointed.

8 out of 10.