IMDb > Finding Nemo (2003) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Finding Nemo

Finding Nemo More at IMDbPro »

Page 14 of 85: [Prev][9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [Next]

What did you expect?

Author: ScooterDoom from NYC, NY
16 June 2003

The movie was great!

I took my son to see it last weekend and we loved it.

What did you expect?

Pixar is THE movie studio in the business today. With hits, like Toy Story, A Bug's Life and Monsters, Inc., it had to be great! Right?

Well, it was.

Good Job! 10/10

Loved this movie

Author: eyrush from USA
16 June 2003

This film deserves an Oscar...Or at least deserves a nomination for an Academy Award. Just when you thought PIXAR couldn't top Monsters Inc. They create this masterpiece. It's amazing how far computer animations can go. It's the most visually stunning animated film ever made and how it touches people. Who knew fish could show so much emotion. I give this film 10 thumbs up if I had them. ;c)

Passafist Reviews Finding Nemo

Author: David A Dein from The Garden State
15 June 2003

In the age-old battle between what's important in film, plot or character? I'm convinced character is king. Nothing makes this idea truer than a film like Pixar's FINDING NEMO. A delightful new animated comedy from those guys that brought you Toy Story.

Sure there's a plot; it's about a father fish searching for his son fish. Many films operate on this premise. In fact even PIXAR's TOY STORY 2, borrows this premise. (For those who don't know TOY STORY 2's main plot is about a toy being stolen by evil toy man, and how his friends try to save him.) But like the above film FINDING NEMO is really about the colorful characters our hero encounters.

Albert Brooks (The Muse) voices and is Marlin. His performance could be compared to Woody Allen, who voiced himself in the film ANTZ. Like Allen this film plays with his film persona, his neurotic tendencies. The minute you see him you buy it. If Albert Brooks were a Clown Fish this is exactly how he'd look and act.

Ellen Degeneres (Mr. Wrong) voices Dory, and for once she's funny. (Yes, Ellen when you drop the gay jokes and just act funny, you actually have a shot at being entertaining.) She has some really great sequences in this film; my favorite was her talking to a blue whale. Dory also has some short-term memory loss. I kept thinking to myself, so if Memento was comedy about fish, this is probably what it would look like.

My favorite performance is William Dafoe (Auto-Focus) as Gill. I liked how the animators used Dafoe's face as the model for Gill's deformity. The details are astounding. His performance is electric. He plays the leader of the fish tank with such power, I wished he was my leader. But Alas, I am not a computer-animated fish. Oh well.

The film looks amazing. Directors Andrew Stanton (A Bug's Life) and Lee Unkrich (Monster's Inc) do an amazing job of creating a world under the sea. If you allow yourself the time to immerse yourself in it, you'll be transformed. It's some of the best digitally rendered computer animation I've ever seen. It exists in realm somewhere between what's real and what's pure fantasy. That's the kind of place all computer-animated worlds should lay.

So here it is a great film. A film that fills a paper-thin plot with characters you laugh with, cry with, and want to be with. There are vegetarian sharks, lobsters with New England accents, and California surfer turtles, if any of this sounds interesting this is the kind of film for you.

So Swim, don't walk to see….FINDING NEMO.

Author: AnimagusGirl from USA
15 June 2003

Finding Nemo a word...awesome.

Ellen DeGeneres as Dory was funny, and the characters were deep. And they actually had personalities, unlike some cartoon (yes I know this is a PiXAR film) movies. And the could actually like them. A bit too long...but it was very enjoyable. ~~~8/10~~~

Finding More

Author: christofer ( from singapore
15 June 2003

What can I say? It's much better than Toys Story (ok, ok, Toys Story's still nice, but sometimes I think they've pushed it too hard) It's much more heartwarming than Monster, Inc.

From the animation, the visual, the story and the humor, this one exceed them all. I think we indeed got a winner here. I sadly said that Ice Age also get beaten by this one.

Infact, you can find lots more than just a comedy or animated movie, but also the hidden message of love and friendship in not a cheesy style.

Finding Nemo is more than what a family movie suppose to be. It is indeed a treat! All time favorites show for all occasion. Kudos!

A Classic!!

Author: ctcsmith from Cambridge, Ontario, Canada
15 June 2003

I took my kids (aged 6 and 8)to see this movie this afternoon expecting to spend the next two hours bored at best. At worst, my kids would be as bored as well and I'd be spending that time trying to keep them under control. Not a chance!!! This movie was great--not only for the kids but for me as well! At times, we could barely hear the movie over all the laughing going on in the theatre. I can't wait for this one to come out on DVD. I gave Toy Story an 9/10 but this one was even better. A clear 10/10!!

Once again, Pixar has outdone itself.

Author: zolezbrch
15 June 2003

*May include spoilers but it depends on your outtake of the movie*

8/10. A wonderful tale about a father fish trying to find his son by traveling all the way across the ocean. Nemo, the son, wants to go to school, but his dad, Marlin, is afraid of Nemo being out of his sight. Marlin had a bad experience when a shark came several years earlier, ate his wife, and 399 of his eggs. Though 1 remained, and he promised that he would never let anything happen to Nemo. Back to the present, Nemo gets on a "bus" (stingray) and they go to the drop off point where the open water is. Marlin tracks them, and Nemo gets mad. Then Nemo disobeys his dad by going to this fishing boat, and touching it. Nemo starts back, but he is caught by a diver. Marlin swims after the diver, and then the boat, and then meets this forgetful fish named Dory. Dory is Marlin's companion all the way to Australia, where mishaps occur.

When I first watched the preview of this, I was thinking that this was going to me a horrible, and stupid movie, but was I wrong. The characters were altogether funny, and the actors that played them. Albert Brooks played Marlin, the father of Nemo. He was pretty funny, and was very overprotective of his son. Though the 2 biggest voices that I heard were Ellen who played Dory, and Brad Garrett who played Bloat. First Ellen. She seemed to fit the fish very well because she was altogether funny. It was the script that helped her along, but nevertheless. I think any other voice would have been bad. Now Bloat. I've watched Everybody Loves Raymond only a couple of times, but I recognized Brad Garrett's voice right on the button. He was pretty funny, and especially at the end when the fish from the tank are trying to esacape, and he says, "Now what?"

In the 4 movies that I've watched from Pixar, I've never been disappointed. They have a similar theme, friendship, but it works very well for them. Though their next 2 movies, The Incredibles (2004) and Cars (2005) seem like they will veer off from that current theme. I tried to keep my eyes open for hidden gags and I found one. If you look closely in the Dentist office, on the ground, you'll spot a Buzz Lightyear toy.

I think all ages of people will find this movie enjoying. Once again, Pixar has outdone itself in producing a great movie

One of the best children's movie in a long time...

Author: BhorrorQueen from Louisville, KY
14 June 2003

Finding Nemo has some of the best lessons to be learned. It was maybe a little more personal to me because I have a close relative (child) with a handicap similar to Nemo's. It has the tragedy (almost as heartwrenching as The Lion King), but it is a sweet, wonderful story about learning how to let go and how to understand and accept other people for who they are.

A very funny movie

Author: Dinos95 from Suburb of NY, US
14 June 2003

Rarely have I actually laughed out loud in a movie theater 6 times. Probably the best comedy since, Monty Python and the Holy Grail. The jokes were good for both adults and kids. The second best thing may be that the plot was not just a pretense it actually was nice.

A remarkable animated road film without a road

Author: Eli_Cash from Buffalo, New York
14 June 2003

Finding Nemo is wonderful. Gorgeous to look at with animation that wouldn't be possible even five years ago and written with deft, fun, and heart. The film may suffer from being directed solely at kids and there requisite guardians (me and my brother were likely the only 15 to 25 year-olds in the whole cineplex) which makes the plot structure of the titular youngen Nemo swimming off on his own to do some much needed growing up while simultaneously forcing his father Marlin to challenge himself and grow no small amount himself so delightfully subversive. Defoe, Brooks and Rush's voicework is quite brilliant but believe me when I say this, DeGeneres improbably steals the show. After the first word her character Dory said I shuddered and thought I'd be in for a long two hours. But with significant screen time she never once got tiresome or annoying. I caught myself laughing at her jokes and thought to myself, 'this is Ellen DeGeneres, right?' Y'all may not have my inborn mistrust of DeGeneres, but those who do, don't miss out on a truly surprising road film without a road.