IMDb > Stealing Harvard (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 10:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]

Great brainless comedy

Author: bbbl67 from Ottawa, Canada
6 July 2003

Been reading some of the other reviews of this movie, and I'm not sure what these other people were looking for, but this is supposed to be a screwball comedy, not anything more.

The majority of the bad comments had one element in common: they hate Tom Green. Well I can't change their mind about Tom Green, but Tom Green doesn't really play a big role in this movie -- at best he's a major supporting role. Make no mistake, Jason Lee really is the one carrying this movie, so if you detest Tom Green, don't worry. And Tom Green really is quite understated in this movie compared to how lunatic he really can get.

One storyline they could've expanded on were Megan Mullally, playing Jason Lee's slutty older sister, and Leslie Mann, playing Lee's uptight fiance. These two had detest each other dynamic going which would've been fun to watch if they interacted with each other more.

So for all of those recommending that you give this movie a pass, I say ignore them. Just come with the right frame of mind, this is not a supposed to be Shakespeare, just check your brain at the door, and enjoy.

Not too bad.

Author: allar100 from california
30 April 2003

I saw this movie because Tom Green and Jason Lee was in it. I know that that doesn't really gaurentee anything, seeing as how they both have a spotted track record. Anyway, it wasn't horrible, and I guess it had its moments of decent laughter, but it wasn't all that great. Nothing to spectacular here, but what did you expect.

An okay way to kill 80 minutes.

Author: Mr_Censored from Maine
3 June 2009

The plot is as simple as the film itself: John (Jason Lee) once made a promise to his niece that if she ever got accepted to college, he would pay her way. When the time arrives, he finds himself broke, and resorts to asking his loser buddy, Duff (Tom Green), for help. Clichés and hi-jinks ensue.

The film is surprisingly sterilized, especially when you consider its two stars: Jason Lee, a Kevin Smith alum, and Tom Green, the gross-out king who wrote, directed and starred in "Freddy Got Fingered." Lee is likable and congenial, if a bit soft, while Green relies more on physical humor and less on substance. He utters a few humorous lines here and there, but he is, in essence, just a prop. There are several other talented comedic actors such as Leslie Mann ("Big Daddy"), Megan Mullally (TV's "Will & Grace"), John C. McGinley (TV's "Scrubs") and of course, the amazing Martin Starr (TV's "Freaks & Geeks") who help keep the film fresh and funny, but unfortunately there's just not enough of them. The film is stacked with great and hilarious actors, but rarely takes advantage of this fact. As far as the humor goes, it forgoes the gross-out comedy of the time in an effort to yield rather tame and inoffensive results. And in its brief 82 minutes, it works. "Stealing Harvard" is hardly a classic, but if one were to sit down on a dead Sunday afternoon, kick back and relax with few expectations, it works. You'll likely get a few solid chuckles out of it, and it's innocent and simplistic plot makes for a good "turning off the brain" time.

a silly comedy that works

Author: MLDinTN from TN
4 September 2003

Call me crazy, but I liked this movie. It had its moments. I especially liked Elaine's dad; his character was the funniest. The part where John and Mr. Warner end up in drag at the judge's house was so funny. Then the end was great when John writes I have the picture, and the judge lets him off. And all the silly ideas John and Duff come up with to get the money were quite entertaining. I liked the fact that for once, Tom Green didn't play a gross out character.

FINAL VERDICT: This is a comedy worth seeing. It's only about 80 minutes long, but that's about right for a Tom Green movie.

Great Movie

Author: JohnnyPistols from United States
5 July 2006

While no this movie is not as great as some of it's other counterparts, it does hold it's own. Jason Lee is brilliant in his role as an uncle who has promised both his niece the money for her college education at Harvard and his girlfriend money for a house together. Of course he enlists his friend, Tom Green, to help him get the money anyway he can. Including robbery and breaking and entering. There are some truly funny moments in this film (especially the ones with the widower) and it is quite amusing for a good laugh. Jason Lee and Tom Green do make quite an...interesting comedy team. Not one of the greats, I'm sure, but funny enough to keep the film going. Dennis Farrina as Lee's boss and soon to be father in law gives a great performance in this as he tries to catch Lee at anything and everything.Definitely recommended for a night when you need a laugh and nothing good is on.

Could this year get any worse?

Author: yngwie-1
21 September 2002

2002 has seen some pretty horrid films. Crossroads, 40 Days and 40 Nights, Eight Legged Freaks, Rollerball, Swimfan...the list is long. With Stealing Harvard, it is made even longer.

I don't know how this film got past the production studio. Its story is full of holes of titan sized proportions. The dialogue is filled with lame attempts at humor that do nothing but fail. The characters are pathetic one-dimentional stereotypes that annoy the audience. Even the music seems second-rate and fails to set the mood accordingly.

That makes four strikes: more than enough to throw this garbage out.

Good cast and pretty funny

Author: Devin (d_e_v_i_n-1)
19 March 2005

Stealing Harvard Directed by Bruce McCulloch (Superstar). Starring Jason Lee (Mallrats, Dogma) as John Plummer, Tom Green (The Tom Green show) as Walter P. 'Duff' Duffy, Dennis Farina (Midnight Run) as Mr. Warner, Leslie Mann (Orange County) as Elaine Warner and John C. McGinley (Tv's Scrubs) as Detective Charles.

A man turns to a life of crime to pay for his niece's tuition for her first year at a prestigious university. His girlfriend want him to pay a $30,000 down payment on a house. His friend is trying to help him get the money.

An overall good movie, with a good cast which keeps you entertained.

Not sure about this one

Author: echoman12 from Austin, Texas
25 September 2002

I had really high expectations for this film. I have to say however that I was slightly disapointed. I guess after seeing Freddy Got Fingered, one really shouldn't expect such a masterpiece to ever be matched let alone topped. But if your a big Tom Green fan as myself your at least thinking you'll never be bored watching his films, right? Wrong. Watching Stealing Harvard had me actually thinking about other things I had to do that day, and that I was more than likely wasting valuable time sitting down seeing this film. The plot was thin, as usual with Tom Green but in this case it didn't have hardly any interesting moments to back it up, making it not work very well. The actors didn't seem to have any chemistry happening between them either and that is something that would've saved this movie, not exactly making it a hit but at least doing better. Then again what Tom Green movie has ever really been a hit? But if your a fan of Mr. Green then definatly go and see this film just for the experience. But dont say I didn't warn you...

I tried, I really did.

Author: bernie-122 from Sydney, Australia
7 September 2010

Normally I wouldn't have bothered, but I read some of the reviews here that said not to worry, it was mindless, but very funny, even hilarious. So I watched it.

I didn't laugh once.

I will admit that Tom Green is not my cup of tea. Even though he and I are fellow native Ontarioans. That kind of gutter slapstick I just don't find funny at all. Like fart jokes. But the whole movie was like that; certainly not the worst I've seen, not as bad as Freddy Got Fingered, anyway. But no, not funny.

So, I tried to like it, but sadly, I got nothing out of it. Just be warned if you're considering watching this and you haven't seen it before. Unless you really like Tom Green, you will waste your time.

Stealing the life from my wallet

Author: CinemaParadisco from Nor Cal
2 February 2003

I'm not a very picky viewer, especially at matinee prices but this movie really, really stunk. Only the second movie I ever thought about walking out of. The first was the Transporter. If you ever want to dump your girlfriend invite her over to watch these two back to back.

What a coincidence that two of the worst movies in history both star or co-star Tom Greene. The dialogue, plot, humor - all bad! You'd think that the casting folks would take a hint after Freddy created new splash heights in Hollywood's crapper. You get the feeling that the movie could have been good, I mean Jason Lee is usually great in everything I've seen him in, but then Tom Greene stepped in and said "Hey, these people haven't suffered enough - let's throw in a bunch of stuff that has no redeeming humor whatsoever. Trust me - I think it's funny, it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. Watch this - I'll talk to a lettuce leaf and pretend like it's my aunt. The less people think it's funny the cooler it is."

Yeah, right...