IMDb > Black Knight (2001) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 17:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Not a bad film.

Author: rjames-11
11 November 2006

This film isn't fantastic, but it is far from dismal as many people here have made it out to be.

Sure, the premise of the movie is silly, but most of these types of comedy movies are. The film is entertaining and Martin Lawrence shows his comedic talent again.

If you think this film deserves one or two stars, you probably haven't seen enough movies. For a true 1-star film, go see "Going Overboard" with Adam Sandler---I bet you won't be able to watch it until the end.

Black Knight is a pretty good film and I recommend you see it if you get the chance.

Black Page

Author: thullman from Netherlands
22 April 2002

All I can say is that after 30 minutes I fell asleep out of complete boredom while watching this movie. It isn't funny, it has got no plot, and the concept has been used many times before, and better. The only positive thing about it is that one appreciates a good film even more after watching this one.

Don't be fooled, this is a terrible movie...but funny at parts.

Author: LebowskiT1000 from Escondido, California, USA
28 June 2002

To be completely honest I am not a fan of Martin Lawrence, although I LOVED "Bad Boys" and thought he did an awesome job in that film...but this review isn't about THAT film ("Blue Streak" was pretty good too). Anyhow, I have to say that I had EXTREMELY low expectations for "Black Knight", the previews were barely funny, the story looked god-awful, and just over-all nothing even remotely great. ...BUT...I watched the movie anyway. I thought the movie was just HORRIBLE, but there were a few things that I thought were pretty funny.

I really can't believe that a movie like this would get green-lit. I can't believe that someone would read this story and say "Yeah, let's make this into a movie!" You gotta be kidding me?!?!

I really don't have much else to say about the film. If you are a fan of Martin Lawrence, then there's a possibility that you may like the film. If you've got some free time, and have an opportunity to see it for free (or really cheap) go ahead and check it out. Otherwise, spend your money on a different movie.

Thanks for reading,

-Chris

That's why you shouldn't drink your own urine.

Author: Andy (film-critic) from Bookseller of the Blue Ridge
7 January 2005

I cannot stress the fact that this film has been overplayed and recycled through Hollywood more times that I can count. While I have read some reviews that claim that this is one of Lawrence's more creative roles yet, I can only laugh and gag simultaneously at these words. Lawrence was a major contributor to the downfall of this film. He provided no character analysis, no development, and definitely no humor to the entire story. It was as if we were watching a dress rehearsal in progress before the final script arrived with all of Lawrence's funny bits. From the quick introduction at the beginning of the film (a mere 7 minutes of character introduction), until the incoherent ending that was trying to monopolize on the popularity of Gladiator, we never see Lawrence's character of "Jamal" or "Skywalker" (depending on the care of the actors) emerge from the film. This was merely Martin Lawrence cashing in on his already overplayed self, stretching no further than his comfortable limits and never exerting anything "fresh". He has fallen into the cracks of the Hollywood recycling bin and Black Knight reinforces that idea.

Sadly, Lawrence isn't backed up with any better acting or story. Tom Wilkinson has done some amazing films during his career, but apparently was looking to buy a new car with this film. It required no "real" acting from him, just sloppy drunkenness with clichéd moments near the end that could have been pulled from any other film like this one. I think that was my major problem with this film (beside the lackluster Lawrence) was the story. There wasn't any. It felt like we were forced from the beginning to all of our different places and events just to fill time. There wasn't any redeeming value from the story. In fact, I would go so far as to say that whomever wrote this screenplay may have…gasp…plagiarized from nearly every other film like this one out there. The structure was nothing new, the formula literally had dust on it, and nobody seemed to care. Lawrence obviously didn't from the performance that he gave, but I expected more from Mr. Wilkinson who has impressed me in the past. This was not the best showcase for his talent, or for anyone's talent to say the least. We must always remember that it begins with a story, and if it doesn't sound good on paper than it isn't going to translate well onto the screen. This is a rule to live by for everyone involved with the Black Knight debacle.

Finally, I normally don't mention this in my reviews, but with this film it just stood out more than any other that I have seen, but the production of this film was horrible. The costumes, the sets, and even the way the shots were framed seemed "cheap" in so many ways. The costumes are the first that come to mind because Lawrence always seemed like he was wearing something that was made with haste. How could he have quickly made this garment in the time that he was in this land? Who knows, but it was "cheap" and only lowered this film further into the muck pit. If the story is going to be bad, and the actors are not going to give their full potential by actually doing what they are paid … to be creative … than at least give us something to look at Production Team! Unfortunately, there was nothing ravishing to even glance at. The entire Medieval World that Lawrence works at from the beginning is "cheap" and obviously a set. I want a film to take me away from Hollywood and give me my dollar's worth, not rob me blind. The cinematography was done by a two-year old. Nothing spectacular, nothing worth writing about.

Overall, this was a very poor film. Would it have hurt anyone working on this project to use a little something I like to call "imagination"? Creativity was not being used or welcomed in this film. You could tell that the director wanted to make the film, edit out what didn't work, finish, and relax at home while thinking of all the different ways that he could spend his Hollywood money! I blame two major players in this film for the overall poor quality. The first is Mr. Lawrence. If he does not expand his acting potential and bring something new to the screen, I don't think his Hollywood stay will be very long. The second player that I blame for this befuddling mess is the writer. Again, creativity and imagination went backseat to the infamous Hollywood recycling bin. This was a truly disappointing picture.

Grade: * out of *****

I believe a tenth level of hell is needed for bad actors...(mild spoilers)

Author: Kefka_8203 from Sweden
9 September 2005

Alright, first of all I should confess that I like Martin Lawrence about as much as having my fingernails torn out. I found Bad Boys 1+2 to be terrible, despite the reputation of both movies. Then me and my girlfriend decided to rent a few movies from the local videostore...ANd for some reason she picked this one. Story in short: Modern guy travels back to medieval times. Lots of unfunny situations follows. Hero gets it on with "Nubian Princess" while evil Knight-guy goes around being cliché evil. Only fun scene was when ML pulls up his lighter and goes "Behold! I can create fire!" or something similar, and the reaction he gets from the local populace is ; "Yeah? So what? We've seen fire before." And while ML wasn't as horrible in this movie as in BB 1 and 2 he's still painfully bad. To sum it all up I have to say: Stay away from this piece of crap.

Disappointing performance by Martin Lawrence

Author: Andrew from Houston
25 February 2003

Finally got around to seeing this one on D-TV.

I believe most know the plot: man from South-Central LA is teleported to the days of Knights and becomes involved in a rebellion to oust the evil King and restore the good Queen.

In general, it was disappointing because the screenplay did not allow Martin Lawrence to be as funny as he normally is. It seemed forced and weighted down. Unlike other Lawrence films (i.e. Bad Boys, Blue Streak, Big Mama's House) we were not able to see the Martin that we all know and love (or hate). Instead of the impulsive, quick-witted Martin we expect, what we actually saw was Martin that struggled with a poor, predictable script that runs out of fuel in the first twenty minutes and leaves Martin to try to make something out of the remaining hour. As funny as he can be, he is no miracle worker.

All in all I give it a mediocre to low rating. The worst thing is that when I see that Martin Lawrence is going to be in a film I expect certain level of funniness from him. I was disappointed. I feel gypped out of one hour-twenty-minutes of my Saturday.

A ridiculously horrible movie, one for the bad senses of humor

Author: Joe Smith (rudydog88@aol.com) from Paris, Malecha
12 January 2004

This 2001 Martin Lawrence film is yet another one of his horrific works of comedy. Martin Lawrence stars as a carnival worker and he falls into this pool and magically appears in the middle ages. He has these ridiculousy stupid adventures in which horrible lines are delivered.

My friend and I went to see this movie for the sole purpose in which we could make fun of it. It turned out to be one of the worst, if not the worst, attempted comedic movies ever made. I can't even begin to describe to you its horror. There were some parts in the movie in which I actually felt uncomfortable, because the humor was so bad.

Martin Lawrence is a horrific actor/comedian as well. I dont see why people find him funny, as he is a desperate for laughs, pathetic comedian. His attempts at humor are for the lowly and feeble minded people.

Anyone in their right mind would not find this movie even remotely funny. I did not laugh a single time in the movie. This is a ridiculousy horrible movie, especially one for the bad senses of humor.

the black knight is defeating

Author: Jessie Robertson (MrBoBomb@aol.com) from United States
18 July 2002

This was a more toned down version of Martin Lawrence, which to me isn't as funny as his usual raunchy self. His TV show was very good and his comedy specials are funny, but I haven't enjoyed any of his movies except Bad Boys. This was tolerable at best but his best jokes were racial ones. You can't have a movie solely depend on that. Not to mention the weak plot.

It was terrible and far-fetched

Author: Annie from Miskolc, Hungary
2 February 2005

This movie was bad. Not of the "so-bad-it's-good" types, it was just bad. This "going back to the Middle Ages" stuff has been done a million times before. Okay, it tried to be a politically correct movie so no one was surprised when a black guy appeared in Medieval Europe, but political correctness soon chickened out and rather than letting Lawrence have a white girlfriend, they came up with a far-fetched explanation of how can a medieval king have a black lady-in-waiting. Also, in American movies time travel is always combined with a travel to Europe, usually without explaining how did it happen. (the same thing messed up the Americanised version of Jean Reno's "Les Visiteurs", even though the original movie was so good that even the American ripoff couldn't be bad.) I've seen only about the first half of the movie 'cause I've realised that I've got many better things to do than watching this, so it's possible that after the first half the movie suddenly became interesting, but I seriously doubt it.

Stupid, unfunny insulting to even the most moronic intelligence

Author: sychonic
18 November 2002

There are movies that are absolutely stupid, and yet incredibly funny; Animal House and Caddyshack come to mind. Black Knight is absolutely stupid and incredibly UNfunny. Along with black holes, quarks, and the meaning of life, the greatest mystery of the universe is why Martin Lawrence has a career: The guy is not only not funny, but manages to be truly pitiable -- shucking and jiving like an nineteenth century minstrel. I'm surprised the NAACP doesn't protest his performances, or this movie for that matter.

It's hard to find a redeeming virtue in this movie -- the script seems to have been lost by all indications, the "acting", even using the word in quotation marks gives too much credit, is lousy; and the sets look like they were worked up in a high school basement for a student production.

I'm not sure what audience the makers were going for; Martin Lawrence is often marketed to black audiences, but in this movie he and the love interest are the only blacks in the movie. Of course all the whites are depicted as complete idiots, but Lawrence out-idiots them all.

Another example of Hollywood's contempt for the movie going public. They think they can trowel out any sort of bilge and make money. Let's hope they wake up soon, and if they're going to give us silly movies, make them funny.

Page 1 of 17:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]