IMDb > Life as a House (2001) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Life as a House

Life as a House More at IMDbPro »

Page 9 of 36: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [Next]

Excellent

Author: bksalazar from United States
7 March 2005

Absolutely Excellent! Kevin Kline, is an extremely talented actor, who I believe deserves much more recognition! This film is a beautiful story of Life, in all it's glorious imperfections! the writer's of this film, and the director's have really outdone themselves by bringing this story to life, I laughed, and cried! thank you for such a wonderful movie, i do hope that other's who see this work of art, enjoy it as much as i did. This says i have to write 10 lines on how incredible this movie is, i will embellish by saying that i hope to see more work from all involved in making this film, and wonder why this particular film, did not receive the recognition that it deserved? just goes to show, sometimes, the best things in life, aren't always on top!

Unbelievably real and touching.

Author: from Singapore
3 February 2005

ditto above.

The only other movies that made me feel this bittersweet were "Playing by Heart" and "Twin Falls Idaho". The movie's a slow starter, but there's intense chemistry between the cast. Kline is amazingly convincing as George, a man on a mission to redeem himself as he finds out he is dying of cancer, and he does so by destroying his house and rebuilding a new one, and his life (well, what's left of it). Christensen slowly emerges from his reclusive, rebellious shell in stages helping George build the house, in a way that somehow warms you.

The cinematography, score and storytelling is excellent, and topped off with the incredible cast, this movie just didn't stop making me feel melancholic and bittersweet in a very very pleasant wistful way.

One more thing - Jena Malone's just incredibly sweet.

Superb Kline

Author: Robin Jacob (rjacob@tigerfilms.biz) from Singapore
11 January 2005

Just finished watching this movie. Kevin Kline is superb. Good movies are about people and situations not CGI.

I have seen this movie 5 times in the last few months and each time find something in it I had missed the time before.

That's what good movies do.

It is simple but the characters are compelling. Kristin Scott Thomas as the ex-wife in the midst of her own crisis gives good support to Kline's leading role.

Hayden Christensen is very believable as the angry young son, mixed up and confused. Haven't we all been there?

ordinary story, extraordinary performance.

Author: Hunky Stud
30 December 2004

That is right. This story is very simple and basic. And I can even guessed the ending before I even started watching the movie. This movie is more than 2 hours long, however, it is not boring to watch at all. Unlike some other long movies, this one keeps me glued to the TV screen till the end. And at the end, I still feel as if it can go on and tell me more.

The guy who played the father is really talented, I have seen his other movies before. I used to think that he is just an average actor, but he did an excellent job in this movie. His performance is very authentic.

Hayden is OK, I can still see as if he is from the star wars. maybe he is just like that in real life. i can somehow identify with his character. Maybe that is why I think that this movie is so great.

The few funny scenes were OK, but not really necessary.

Great Movie!!

Author: jackaz1991 from United States
19 December 2004

I thought that this was one of the best movies that i have ever seen. It wasn't just a tear-jerker but it was also dark movie yet at the same time a very funny movie with some parts that had me crying from laughing so hard.

The acting in this movie was also amazing one of the best i believe was by Hayden Christensen. They made you really care for the characters and you were able to understand were they were coming from unlike in other movies that just try to make you cry the entire time and don't bother to explain the characters.

Since i was thirteen when i saw this movie it was slightly over my head in a few areas but i loved it any way. I would recommend this to any person who likes good movies.

Very, very, very good!

Author: esben_inglev from Denmark
26 November 2004

This is a must see for everyone. I was very surprised with all the acting. Kevin did an amazing job, and Hayden was also fabulous! That young actor got a big bright future!! I only knew him from Star Wars, and there's no doubt about it: hes gonna win awards someday!

Trough all the movie, you get closer and closer to the characters, and at the end our almost crying. Its a loooong time since i was just about to cry after watching a movie. Both me, my brother and dad liked the movie a lot. The whole family can watch... just not the smallest ones :)

It's so good that its hard to chose between 9/10 and 10/10.... I'll make it the last!

Thanks to all the actors for a wonderful performance!

Excellent....not another chick flick

Author: dkflyinc172 from Charleston, WV
10 November 2004

I love guy movies, and personally I also enjoy some drama every now and then.

Although this movie didn't have a cast of exceptional talent, I was blown away by the script. Kline does an excellent job in this movie! The struggles that a family faces are brought together through tragedy, and this movie is one of triumph. If you like a good drama I highly recommend this title, watch until the end, I assure you...you will be astonished!!!

This movie is excellent to watch with a close loved one, it will inspire you to take life for what its worth, and live each day as to have no regrets!

Memorable & Touching

Author: J. M. Verville from Seoul, Republic of Korea
21 October 2004

This is a very memorable and touching tale that explores the troubled relationship of a father and a son, and a general observance of relationships as a whole. Unlike many films, it is willing to take a very critical look of a lot of suburban values and portrays the most of the characters as unhappy and looking for something more in life -- it shows human sentiment as truly as it can be shown.

Through the film one grows very attached to all of the characters, and one genuinely gains understanding and insight into who they are and what it means to be them. That is why this film becomes thoroughly haunting & touching.

I recommend this film to most anyone -- from the beginning to the end I was enraptured by it and caught up in the story & pain; this is a film that if you take at its' face value you will enjoy it.

One of the best I've ever seen...

Author: nera720 from Phoenix, Arizona
30 September 2004

Yes, I rented this one for superficial reasons (to watch Hayden Christensen), but I ended up loving this film and eventually adding it to my video collection...

I'm also a fan of Kevin Kline who turned in an amazing performance as an architect who finds out he is terminally ill and decides to spend his last summer building a home with his troubled son played by Christensen.

I am not typically into these types of dramas, but there was just something amazing about this film that was powerful enough to draw me in.

Hayden Christensen was great as the troubled son Sam... I underestimated him as an actor before seeing this movie... I had a bit more respect for his talent after seeing this one... He was moving...

Other performances that rounded out the overall feel of the film were turned in by Kristen Scott Thomas and Mary Steenburgen who provided some funny moments in the film...

If you love tear-jerking dramas, I would say this one is for you!

beautiful moments, letting go.

Author: drjazz2 (drjazz2@yahoo.com) from Canada
14 September 2004

I've watched this movie 5 times and I still am not bored of it. There is full of beautiful genuine moments in this movie of things that all people can relate to, but often get overlooked. Simple things, that really are the best things in life. The acting is impeccable and really draws you in so you feel like you are there experiencing it with the characters. The camera work is very good, suttly bringing out the truth of a moment. What this movie is about : Not to take yourself too seriously, it's never to late to change, even though you have everything to lose you should go for it, that it's okay to hate just as long as you don't keep it all inside and it's an essential part of growing. I didn't like how Sam gave the house away at the end. Though I could see how it completed the story I always felt a sense of disappointment.. Though that is what the movie is about anyways? It's about letting go. About always hoping. Not being afraid to tear down so you can build again.