IMDb > Joseph: King of Dreams (2000) (V) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Joseph: King of Dreams (V) More at IMDbPro »

A pleasant watch...

Author: queeny479
17 January 2004

This is Dreamworks' 2nd attempt at an animated movie based on a Biblical story (note the word "based"...plenty of artistic liberty is taken). Though it can't hold a candle to "Prince of Egypt", it is a fair attempt and a pleasant movie to watch.

The animation doesn't seem to be top notch (or at least as well as Dreamworks demonstrated in PoE), but it was easy to get used to. The songs were not particularly memorable (ie: I couldn't tell you more than a line of lyrics used), but I can't really complain because the music was very nice and the singing was good. Not enough to blow me away, but a pleasant background to the story.

Perhaps what I liked best were the characters themselves. After experiencing Andrew Lloyd Webber's take on the Joseph story, I was eager to see how someone would take it seriously. I found that the movie made Joseph to be a rounded character. I mean, he had character flaws! Good for him! The brother's sudden change (well, I guess there were 20 years...) wasn't bothersome, and I thought Potiphar was particularly well done. Asenath was a nice addition as well.

Overall, a nice way to get kids to enjoy the story. A good execution of the story, which did make me care about the characters. Okay animation and music. 7.5 out of 10.

Wonderful!!

Author: Julia1989 from burnaby
25 July 2004

This is a good film in every which way. It's the best animation I've seen so far. It's not only has a fantastic plot but the animation was also great. The character designs are very lively looking. Even without the singing animals and fairies and gnomes it's an exceptionally enjoyable. I love the movie particularly because it's so devoted to the original Biblical plot. (unlike "Prince of Egypt" which is very inaccurate. no offense though, "Prince of Egypt" was a nice one, too!) it's a great film to introduce people into Bible. *It's the 1st time I've developed a crush on an animation character!*(the cartoon figure of Joseph)

PERFECT!!! 10/10 from me!!

A Good Work...

Author: jwrowe3 from Tampa, FL
21 July 2002

In this day of pure junk that gets foisted off on our kids(and parents that buy the movies) this film is a treat. I can't sit and tell you how close that this story follows the Bible, and in the opening credits, it states that some license was taken. Fine. My children sat thru it and enjoyed it. That's the sign of a good movie for a young person.

With the sole exception of the folks that make the "Veggie Tales" series of videos, there seems to be a great lack of good movies with a positive tone, without a ton of violence, and good "values" tossed in. Like Prince of Egypt, this movie has it's Biblical tone, but never forces it down your throat, in the way that some kid's Bible videos, do.

Even if you have a problem with movies along those lines, "Joseph" is a pleasing piece of work.

I'm not a Pollyanna by any means, but in light of what our kids have been watching since September 2001, isn't it nice that there are a few feature length films that can be shown to youngsters, without worrying about what might be seen?

A good 6 out of 10.

Pretty Good!

Author: angelginel from United States
23 October 2007

Not bad at all! I really missed the Egyptian-like music from PoE, but these songs worked great too. However, to that person who said this movie was completely accurate with the bible, well, you're wrong. One of the things that caught my attention was that they named Juda as the leader of the brothers, when according to the Bible Reuben was the oldest. Then we see that he meets his brother Benjamin in Egypt for the first time, and also finds out that his mother has passed away.According to the Bible when Joseph was sold as a slave his Benjamin was already born and his mother had died during labor. By the way, why were the pyramids shown when he first got to Egypt, if, according to history they weren't built yet? Well, I guess I could understand that one, since people usually think of pyramids when they think of Egypt, it must have seen like a good idea to add them to let people know where he was. For those of you out there who don't read the bible, we must explain that this story actually precedes Moses' story in the bible, which can help them understand better how these 2 stories are connected... Joseph's family move to Egypt by the end of the movie, and as the years went by they were obviously multiplied, which brings us to the beginning of the Prince of Egypt, which shows how Egypt is now filled with Hebrews. The bible tells us that this new Pharaoh and his generation had forgotten what Joseph had done for them many years ago, the Hebrews were forced into slavery and finally a law was made to kill all the male babies to keep the Jewish population from growing, since Pharaoh thought that they might raise against the Egyptians.

Not Exactly Biblically Correct, but still a great story.

Author: RBarse from Nashville, TN
6 November 2001

No, I'm not a Bible-Thumper. However, Joseph is one of the most precious examples of a man who trusted God with everything he had and did, and how God was with him throughout his life.

Joseph, King of Dreams doesn't quite reflect that total, precious trust in my opinion. However, this is a children's animated story and I know that some liberty has to be taken to get the point across to kids in a way that they will be both entertained, and remember well. This story does achieve that goal in spades. My nieces and nephew are glued to the set whenever we put this movie in, and my oldest niece can almost recite it verbatim.

I can just imagine how hard it must be for the actors to put life and feeling into an animated character, and all of the actors who lent their voices were positively excellent. I gave this film an overall rating of 8 - if you have little children and are wondering how in the world to introduce your kids to the greatest story ever told, here's your answer for a stupendous start.

Such a good film - I nearly rate it 9!

Author: Mightyzebra from Scotland
2 June 2007

Genre: Cartoon Bible story Musical

My thoughts: To admit the plain truth, I was a bit shy of watching this because we had watched the "Prince Of Egypt" by the same makers and DID NOT like it! We watched this just over a month ago and I really like it! Since then I've watched it about four or five times (including once yesterday) and I'm STILL not bored of it (I think my bro's a bit bored of it. He keeps saying this film is "barking religious" but then he thinks that about anything that's religious). I like this film because of the beautiful songs (I can't stop singing "You know better than I", but of course my bro's bored of it because he's changed it to "I know better than you" and he gets a good laugh. I'm more bored of that version than the original!), stunning animation, good characters and it does a good job on the bible story.

What it all adds up to: Beautiful songs + Stunning animation + A good job on the bible story + Memorable characters = The beautiful film that is "Joseph: King Of Dreams. Enjoy! :)

What happens: Joseph is the first born of Rachel, which makes him a miracle child. In a way he is! He outshines his half-brothers and makes his father and mother happy. He even receives a beautiful, shining coat...

Pretty nice and not too long for a child's attention span

Author: jep_only from Philippines
5 February 2005

The first time I watched "Joseph", my attention was attracted by the film. I liked the songs, the animation, the Egyptian stuff, and the simple fact that it is a Bible story. Immediately after finishing the film, I played it again. So the first time I watched it, I watched it twice. It was a refreshing film, after hundreds upon hundreds of films containing violence, bad words, immoral acts and filth. It is perfect for children and adult alike. The length of the film appeals to the child's attention span, while the Biblical message appeals to all. The songs were "singable", that is, they were easy to learn and fun to sing. Plus they have a meaning. I especially like the first song because that's where you first see how Joseph's brothers feel about him. In the first song, you already get to learn a lesson: be careful in what you say. Overall, it's a good movie for all age levels. I hope that other people will like and understand the message in it.

Left me breathless

Author: BabyCarrot
15 December 2000

Ever since I started hearing rumors about this on Prince of Egypt message boards last year, I was pretty much looking forward to seeing it - though in the early stages of this news, I didn't take it too seriously. However, it is no longer a rumor but is now for real. And I must say, it left me breathless. I will probably sound high saying this but anyway...it was a *beautiful* movie. It made me laugh and cry. It was really emotional. The songs really touched my heart, and now they are stuck to my mind! Of course, that's not a problem and I loved the way the dreams were presented, they reminded me of the paintings of Van Gogh and other expressionist paintings. I also found a lot of things to be similar to PoE, especially those words before the start of the movie....but then I suppose I can understand that they made it like that since the two stories are related. Yhe characters look like the ones in Prince, too. It really reminds me a lot about Prince, yet I find it difficult to say which one is better.

Love it and I will watch it again. It is unforgettable. I really loved the scene when Joseph first enters Egypt, the city seemed sooo...majestic. I was totally glued to it and the way they portrayed the characters really interesting too. They made them seem so real, especially the relationships between the family members and Joseph was...amazing and I admire his personality too. If I were Jacob, I would be *swelling* with pride. Bwn Affleck did a superb job as him.

Indeed, I will see this movie again and again.

Well done

Author: eponinefantine from Washington state
2 October 2002

I feel that since I am not a particular person who follows the stories of the bible that I can look at this and enjoy it for the artistry and that it is an incredible story told in animation. At first I wasn't sure if I'd actually like the film because it was a bible from the story. At first I watched it just to hear the music, but as I watched the film it became more and more about the film itself not the music. Overall I thought it was a story well told. Ben Affleck did a good job as Joseph. It wasn't a role he had taken on before so that made it more interesting. I liked all the actors in it. It was different. But I also appriciate the actor/singers who gave thier singing talent to make the piece. For example David Campbell(who sang for Joseph) has an incredible array of talent and did a wonderful job with the singing. I feel with Ben Afflect performing by just plain voice and David Campbell performing as the singing voice made it interesting to watch. They as well as the other actors and singers make the movie complete and wonderful to watch. Overall a wonderful story well told.

Never show you're kids the wolf dream!

Author: Liviatan Whale from France
11 April 2013

Seriously, do NOT show you're kids the wolf dream, it will give them a heart attack when they see that dead ram turn into a devil and lunge right at you on screen, its terrifying! Other than that, there's not too much to say about this film. For one, its not as grand as Prince of Egypt, but I hardly expect that from a direct to DVD film, but it dose stay faithful to its source (going so far as to include the part where Joseph hides a golden goblet in his youngest brother's wheat bag and accusing him for stealing it) and it gives you emotion and you link with Joseph when he desires revenge and when he finds the will to forgive. Like the Prince of Egypt with the ten plagues, the dream sequences are the highlight of this film, some of them beautifully detailed with atmosphere resembling Van Gogh, though others focusing on CGI can get a little out of date (the worst one is the Pharaoh's first dream with the healthy cows and the cow-shaped totem poles, i thought that was stupid). Great for the family despite its flaws, but remember, skip the wolf dream!