IMDb > Amy & Isabelle (2001) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Amy & Isabelle (TV) More at IMDbPro »

Seduction and Secrets, in a Beautiful Coming to Age Drama

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
18 February 2006

In 1971, in the small town of Shirley Falls, in Maine, the odd and lonely secretary Isabelle Goodrow (Elisabeth Shue) raises her teenager daughter Amy (Hanna R. Hall) alone. She has only two friends in her job among her gossiper colleagues. When her overprotected daughter is seduced by her mathematic teacher Peter Robertson (Martin Donovan), the world of Isabelle falls apart. She becomes lost and loses her confidence on Amy, spoiling their relationship. Their bond gets tied again when Isabelle discloses her inner secrets from the past to Amy.

Although being very predictable, "Amy & Isabelle" is a beautiful coming to age drama. The good direction and acting never lets the story becomes a soap opera, although dealing with elements like seduction and secrets. The innocence of the face and look of the gorgeous Hanna R. Hall is amazing. I was impressed (and quite disappointed) how fat the lovely and still beautiful Elisabeth Shue, one of my favorite actresses ever, is. But her and Hanna R. Hall performances were really great. My vote is seven.

Title (Brazil): "Inocência Marcada" ("Marked Innocence")

One of the best television movies in a while

Author: Luckie Starr (meredithm@sabreshockey.com) from Los Angeles, CA
5 March 2001

At first glance, I wasn't sure what to expect. It was produced by Oprah Winfrey, and I had heard it was a good story, but I knew nothing more than that. My roommate and her friend turned it on, so I sat down to watch it with them and was blown away. It's a very powerful story about a girl seeking ways to rebel against an uptight, anal retentive mother who, we find, is trying to protect her from the "real world" and only perpetuates the cycle. Elisabeth Shue and Hanna R. Hall are both wonderful. The setting, a small town in Maine in the early 70's, is perfect, and so is the filmography, even though it's made for television. The flashback scenes are exceptionally well done. I can't wait for this to be made available on video so I can watch it over and over again!

A nice afternoon film...

Author: Pongo (eduardo_barata@hotmail.com) from Lisbon, Portugal
16 September 2001

I never saw any Oprah Winfrey film. Actually, I never saw any Oprah Winfrey show. One good thing about living in Portugal! When I started to watch 'Amy & Isabelle' I didn't know what I was about to see. Another network was showing the blockbuster 'Antz' but instead I chose to see this 'real life' story.

I was not disappointed. Actually, Elisabeth Shue and Hanna R. Hall are perfect for their roles. But the plot is weak, there are some anchors missing, the ones that make us want to stay tuned until the end. There are some useless elements (a UFO sighting, a kidnapped girl...) and some badly explored characters with strange roles on the story developing. But overall, this is a nice movie to see in a nothing-to-do afternoon. 6 out of 10.

Elisabeth Shue's performance...

Author: butterflycomb-1
8 November 2005

Her performance in this TV film was excellent, why she was overlooked for a Emmy nomination i will never understand. This film was such a good film , i watched with my daughter we both liked it very much. One of the many things i liked about the film is strong women roles about love, understanding and friendship, heartbreak....love it! The girl that plays the daughter i thought was also outstanding. I recommend this film to anyone that has a daughter or even a son because it portrays the strengths that build the relationships through time....I also like the beautiful scenery, lots of that in the film, i don't think this film is out on video or DVD yet, but it should be because it is a wonderful film to watch. I remember Elisabeth Shue way back when she played the daughter on a short lived drama series called "CALL TO GLORY" why that series was cut short don't get it, was a good family show to watch every week.

Very Good movie with a lot of value

Author: MrSean-2 from Washington
6 March 2001

This was a very good film starring Elizabeth Shue. It's really to bad the film wasn't longer because I would have liked to have seen more of Amy and Isabelle's troubles and life. I really hope they release this on video so other people can see it, very powerful that really touched home.

WONDERFUL!!!!!!! (for a TV-movie)

Author: Cookie24 from Michigan
5 March 2001

One of the best TV movies ever. I loved it. Elisabeth Shue was absolutely beautiful in this movie. I only give it a 9 out of ten because a couple of parts were confusing. I got lost with Dottie's story. Some of it was a little odd at parts, but it was all good. A very wonderful movie. If only Elisabeth Shue was like this in every movie she's made. See it for her.

Excellent movie!!!

Author: tarajil41 from Bangkok
26 November 2001

Amy and Isabelle is the best movie I've seen in a long time. It's comparable to a classic like The Scarlet Letter (novel). This movie has layers of meaning and it really makes you think. Loved it!!! It takes place during a hot summer in a mill town. It's all about women's work and women's lives, fantastic!!!

Simply Stunning

Author: miguel17x from Mississauga, Ontario
11 March 2001

I am one of Elisabeth Shue's most dedicated fans. I recently wrote her a letter in the mail regarding her choice of roles she selects. The past few movies she has had some bad scripts, but she made a nice come back in Amy & Isabelle. She was also pregnant in this film with her second child, but it dosent show that much. Also, this movie scored huge with the ratings, 19.4 million Americans tuned in to see Amy & Isabelle. Good job Elisabeth, and I love the part when she chopped off her daughters hair.