IMDb > "Curb Your Enthusiasm" (2000) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 11 of 16: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

Comedy as it should be

Author: Laura Thompson from Toronto, Ontario
22 April 2003

Larry David is the master of taking the nerves and anxieties of daily life and turning them into comedic gold. Maybe I'm just an anti-social crank but I've nodded my head more then a few times to Larry's words of wisdoms and rules regarding everyday life.Also this show proves just how much of "Seinfeld" Larry David really was in terms of that shows overall voice and tone. While not for the easily offended this show is very much worth the initial effort it takes to get used to it. Just great funny stuff.

On The Life of Larry David

Author: Cory M from Salt Lake City, Utah
15 April 2003

Curb Your Enthusiasm has the ability to connect intimately with its audience. While not having a strong plot, its impromptu acting and subject matter is exactly what makes it worth watching. Each episode escalates from beginning to end, building upon the everyday life of a Jewish Comedian. The situations presented in the show are not ones the everyday person encounters (going to movie screenings, eating at expensive restaurants etc.) , however one is able to connect with them and share the embarrassment, anger, and plight of Larry David. I look forward to watching it every Sunday during its all to short season.

realistic

Author: slint70 from Detroit
4 February 2003

I just recently found the show not knowing anything about it. Everyone says its like seinfeld, yeah whatever, Seinfeld's over get over it!

CYE is a different show.

Whats good about it is the realistic dialogue which I guess is ad libbed or well outlined, the believability (the spelling of that word always troubles me). It is believable and thank god more real then anything ever done in a half hour on TV. If your an impulsive carnage junkie, never get tired of dick and fart jokes even after 5 hours of them and can't get enough candy, potato chips and are looking for explosions and car chases go watch any other channel for the mentally deprived and don't sit here on your bulbus and say the show is boring!

This show has intellect, laugh a plenty, quirkiness, subversion, deviance and character. Not even Bill Cosby can act intellectual for an entire episode musch less 3 season. In other words this is smart.

Everything in the show has meaning toward the plot if you can call it that, which is why I love to watch nothing is fodder well mostly nothing. Rather then a simplistic sitcom plot it consists of subplots well lets just say there are payoffs to numerous ideas by the end of 30 minutes. Too many to mention but the Richard Lewis giving of his meditation mantra Jiha or is it Jiya? Is a great example.

All in all I am in the process of taping the episodes off HBO because I cannot find a DVD with all three seasons. *hint they show them in succession right now were still in the first season.

The first episode that hooked me was (which was the first epeisode I ever saw) the Christmas nanny which he gives everyone cash and they get a tree. The Crazy Eyed Killah Killah'd me and the Mother Grave thing was the one that made me get the tape to record.

The first seaon as I watch it is not as tight as the few of the third I have seen and about the third one in on the first season starts to get it's pace. (The tabasco one I think ) each one seems to get better which make me hope Larry pens a fourth season and gets this thing on DVD!!

Best SHOW on TV period!!!

Great Stuff

Author: (yonko) from Maryland
20 January 2003

I started watching this show a couple of years ago. I loved it when I first watched it and I love it now. And it seems when you watch reruns the show just gets funnier. Larry David is an absolute mess. He is painful to watch. Sometimes I have to cover my eyes he is so painful, but he is a riot! This is the funniest show on tv by far. It's kind of sad that you have to lump CYE with other comedies that are on tv now because they are trash.

"Mommy, Mommy! The bald man is in the bathroom and there's something hard in his pants!"

Krazy Eyes Killah for President!!!!

Author: Pennypals from Cincinnati, Ohio
2 January 2003

I truly agree with all of the comments in favor of this show. I certainly hope that we all see something in this show that the masses don't yet and it will get it's just do, but then again......"the masses" have been known to have it's own way of ruining a great thing. Kudos to all of you that dug deep and found this show. It is by far the best show on television since Rosanne. The Krazy Eyes Killah episode is one that I want for my special private collection of works that I will keep and show to friends for years to come.

Brilliant

Author: Andrew Siddons from Ramsey, NJ
21 November 2002

I absolutely love the show. As others have said, it is the best 30 minutes on Television today. Period. Furthermore, it is is a very VERY smart show. As veteran viewers can attest to, there is not a single throw away gag in any one episode. Everything, even if It seems seemingly insignificant, can affect what happens in the show, or reappear to bite Larry in the ass later on, when you least expect it. Most of the things that happen are funny all by themselves, but in order to get the most out of the show, watch the whole episode to see where things will play back in and I guarantee you will enjoy the gags that happen later in the show even more. Take, for example, the first episode of this season (2002). It opens with Larry and Jeff walking down the street, and Larry happens to throw something out in an open trashcan. The owner of the can witnesses, and gives Larry sh*t for it. Larry and him exchange words, and the man threatens him a final time as they walk away. It is a funny scene all by itself. However, you have to watch (for this particular joke) until the very last few seconds of the episode to truly understand how funny it is, and what it has set up. After watching a few FULL episodes, you begin to appreciate the brilliance and cleverness of the writing and joke making.

Obviously, Highly Recommended.

Can't get enough of the weekly genius of this show.

Author: Spamlet from NYC
9 November 2002

Completely addictive. My only complaint is that I want more. The quickest laugh filled half hour I can think of. I'm a veteran actor, sketch writer, improvisor ( graduate of Second City) so I'm even more in awe of this show than Seinfeld: all of the dialogue is completely improvised! The smartest, funniest non animated subversive sitcom (Simpsons and South Park are still razor sharp) on TV. I live for this show!

Hilarious!

Author: (tylerdurden0523@yahoo.com) from Plantsville, CT
20 October 2002

This show is great! It's like Seinfeld, but without the boundaries of network TV! I did not realize how much Larry David (you'll recognize him as the voice of George Steinbrenner) contributed to his earlier series, as you'll instantly recognize his influence. Larry is about eighty percent George Costanza, twenty percent Jerry Seinfeld. Curb is entirely ad-libbed, and filmed with digital cameras, which kind of makes it look like PBS at first, but adds to the spontaneity. Just watching the situations he gets himself into, then feeling bad for him, before finally realizing that he deserves everything he gets himself into has made this show one of the highlights of my week. My subscription to HBO won't be cancelled anytime soon as long as this show is on!!

It's amazingly funny...

Author: Ryan Kelly from Allentown, Pennsylvania
6 October 2002

You have to have a certain sense of humor to like this show, I tink it's great, a great addition to the rest of the wonderful HBO shows, I suggest everyone should check this out, you can definatly pick up on the seinfeld humor, and you can tell that David is the template for George Costanza

Seinfeld Lives On

Author: CurbYourMetsSein (CurbYourMetsSein@aol.com) from New York, NY
16 September 2002

Anyone with the slightest sense of humor, with even a meager dose of intelligence has to appreciate the brilliance, hilarity, creativity and even flow of "Curb Your Enthusiasm." Larry David is genius and all supporting cast members are equally as brilliant! Like "Seinfeld", each episode has so many different aspects, dimensions and memorable lines! People probably think I've truly lost it, when I will just laugh out loud thinking of a particular episode or episode segment - ie:I can never go into a Starbucks without thinking of Larry sardonically expressing his amazement at the idea of "coffee and milk --who would have thought????!! He is so on the mark and has an uncanny way of expressing every one of life's details in an inimitable manner! The show's great, Larry's great - anyone who thinks otherwise is, naturally entitled to his/her opinion but I feel sorry for anyone who doesn't get it-- This is entertainment at its best! If you have no enthusiasm about life, et al - and "Curb" doesn't change that for you -- then, that is truly sad!!! This is "Seinfeld" at its best - Please keep it going!! Thanks for the laughter, especially since 9/11/01 - we all need "curb-like" humor!

Page 11 of 16: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]