IMDb > Uptown Girls (2003) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Uptown Girls

Uptown Girls More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 14:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

A movie that makes you feel better and better....and better

Author: laura-madalina from Romania
6 May 2006

I actually saw this film by mistake, and couldn't help posting a comment here (which I actually think it's my first, but hey, it deserves it). I think it's a very thoughtful and sensitive movie, with plenty of funny but also moving scenes. Despite my better judgement, Brittany Murphy does a good job at playing the "confused" grown-up, while Dakota is a charming, if not absolutely fantastic grown-up "in the making". I think this movie is worth watching, at least, if not exclusively, for the terrific relationship between Ray and Molly. I had never expected to grow such fond of these "Uptown Girls"....

Watch it! It's worth your bucks!

Very cute

Author: ljbad
28 November 2004

As other reviewers have suggested, "Uptown Girls" is a hard film to classify: it's not a "comedy," per se, because it isn't funny (and barely even seems to try), but it also isn't particularly dramatic (though there are dramatic elements). I'm reminded of a term I've heard critics use a number of times -- "charmer" -- but only now do I realize how necessary it is to their lexicon. This film's greatest ambition, it seems, is to make its audience smile - and, as far as that goes, it succeeds. I may not have laughed at all for the whole ninety minutes (though I probably did), and I wasn't very moved; but, oh boy, did I smile a lot. Very few movies accomplish even that, so I'm forced to give "Uptown Girls" a strong recommendation.

Finally, The Best Comedy-Drama Growing Up Movie

Author: tabuno from utah
17 August 2003

Uptown Girls ranks as one of the best comedy-drama motion pictures for the masses. The perfect blend of comedy and drama that has the sharp, biting, gut-roaring laughter along with the hard-hitting, emotional turmoil of pain and happiness. This movie deals about growing up in real terms, about facing death, about loss, about caring, about love, about family, about learning to have fun but also to become responsible. There is so much packed into this overall simple, comprehensive fairy tale yet poignant look into the soul movie. While not a box office winner because the guys will hate the movie (with little action and little sex), this female, mood-feeling movie hits just the best balance of laughter and serious script development (among the best that has come along FINALLY). This is what real film is all about...this film is the closest one can get (without becoming an independent film...without becoming cheesy, without trying to please everybody and losing its soul) to a great film in its girl-growing up romantic comedy genre (yet it really isn't about romance as much as becoming a whole person (young or old).

Re-reviewed 1/4/2013. 8 from 9 rating. The great blend of comedy and drama that has the sharp, biting, laughter along with the hard-hitting, emotional turmoil of pain and happiness. This movie deals about growing up in real terms, about facing death, about loss, about caring, about love, about family, about learning to have fun but also to become responsible. There is so much packed into this overall simple, comprehensive fairy tale yet poignant look into the soul movie. While not a box office winner because the guys will hate the movie (with little action and little sex), this female, mood-feeling movie hits just the best balance of laughter and serious script development (among the best that has come along FINALLY). This is what film is all about...(without becoming an independent film...without becoming cheesy, without trying to please everybody and losing its soul) to a great film in its girl-growing up romantic comedy genre (yet it really isn't about romance as much as becoming a whole person (young or old).

Surprisingly likable, if not lovable!

Author: ilovedolby from New York State
2 September 2003

Over the years, we've seen dozens of films labeled as chick-flicks that hold true to the same clichés, jokes and rehashed plots that have been done over and over again. After seeing a trailer for `Uptown Girls,' one would naturally think that the film would be a hopeless mesh of the same simple ideas of a lost girl or woman trying to find herself in the most unlikely of places. In all honesty, `Uptown Girls' is just that. However, it has some redeeming qualities that make it rise above its own conventional nature-it actually has an emotional depth to its characters that wouldn't occur under normal circumstances. Also, it stars Brittany Murphy and Dakota Fanning, two wonderful actresses that dazzle the screen with their very presence.

Molly (Murphy) is a woman in her mid-twenties who is completely detached from reality. Her deceased rock-star father has left her a wealth that affords her the finest apartment, friends and possessions that money can buy. However, life turns upside down for Molly when her broker skips town with all of her money. All of sudden Molly is faced with a world where everything she's been absorbed in has disappeared. Her only choice now is to get a job and start living life like a normal person. After several attempts at some of Manhattan's most elite shops, she accepts a position as a nanny for a friend's boss. But she has no idea what she's in for-a little girl named Ray (Fanning) who is completely obsessive and compulsive. What's more, she wants nothing to do with Molly. The two feel each other out and eventually start to discover that they have a great deal in common, as they are both suffering from the loss of the one's that they cared for most deeply. As such, they have both entered into their own delusional worlds that don't hold true to reality. It's up to the two to help each other out in finding a purpose in life and discovering the true beauty of friendship.

Fanning is truly the prize of `Uptown Girls.' She's an adorable young actress who can actually perform. She steals every scene she's in and the audience can't get enough of her. The moments in the film where she breaks down and cries, you get the impression that its real and this isn't acting-she has that the innate talent to become the characters that she portrays in the script marvelously. Look for her in the recent `I am Sam,' as well as in `The Cat in the Hat,' coming this November. Murphy proves once again that she is a gifted actress. I guess we can forgive her for this past winter's `Just Married,' as her track record generally shows her showing off real talent in films like `8 Mile,' and `Girl, Interrupted.' Her portrayal of Molly makes the audience feel sadness for her character, but at the same time, we can't help but feel that she is incredibly pathetic, and not in the comic sense. The most rewarding part of viewing `Uptown Girls' was how tender the film is. Murphy and Fanning come alive together and you feel their pain and the isolation that they have surrounded themselves in because of the lack of truly loving people in their lives. You walk out of the theater fond of the characters and rooting them on at the end, regardless of the film's parallels to so many others in the genre. `Uptown Girls' isn't a great movie, but it sure is something that is surprisingly likable, if not lovable. ***

Dismiss those other comments

Author: mbucky from United States
2 September 2005

I will not attempt to prove that this movie should be ranked among the great movies, but I am more than willing to defend Uptown Girls against the mostly male haters. True, this movie could be deemed a 'chick flick', but why is that so unbelievably, unforgivably horrible? If you don't like movies with mostly female characters and even some slightly feminist themes, than you will not like this movie. I, on the other hand, watched this movie for the first time expecting the worst and most guilty kind of entertainment, and was more than pleasantly surprised by the dark tones and impeccable performances. I'm a harsh critic, and if you don't trust me, check out the link to Ebert's review of this film via 'external reviews'. Murphy and Fanning are a refreshing duo in a buddy film and like many female buddy films, Uptown Girls is unfairly abused and underrated. If you are trying to sound pretentious you probably shouldn't admit to liking this film. However, if you honestly found this film entertaining, and in some small respect, refreshing, you should admit the merit of this 'chick flick'. Murphy should be commended for choosing roles like Molly and her character in Little Black Book, because in a sea of fantasy and escapism there is an aspect of actual female representation written by women and made for women. Boys, if you want to win points with the ladies, stop letting your testosterone take over your actual pleasure gauge, and attempt to see the positive attributes of films such as this one. Trust me, it will do no good in the long run to hide your opinions on the basis of reputation and ornery stoic persuasion.

funny and affecting though manipulative and sappy

Author: Charles Herold (cherold) from United States
30 May 2005

Rich girl loses all her money and has to be a nanny for an uptight brat; it certainly sounds like a bad movie in the making. But actually I quite enjoyed this one. The stars are appealing, a lot of the scenes are quite funny and even though the movie is predictable and maudlin it does have scenes with a genuine emotional impact. With a script that has some intelligence and nuance and actresses who bring sincerity and belief to rather clichéd characters (child-woman and woman-child, essentially), this movie winds up being far better than it has a right to be. I feel like I have to make excuses for liking it, because it is kind of dumb, but I really very much enjoyed it.

Predictable Screenplay, Supported by Brittany Murphy and Dakota Fanning

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
28 June 2005

In New York City, Molly Gunn (Brittany Murphy) is a spoiled wealthy immature young woman, living as if she were a princess in a fairy tale. Her father was a popular rock-and-roll guitar player, who died in a plane crash with Molly's mother when she was a little girl. On her birthday party in a nightclub, she meets Lorraine "Ray" Schleine (Dakota Fanning), a nasty young girl with attitudes of adult , living with her careless mother and a terminal father in a fancy uptown apartment. When the accountant of Molly vanishes with her US$ 100,000,000.00 inheritance, Molly is left with nothing but debts, and she needs to work to survive without having previous experience or any skills. She is hired to be Ray's babysitter, and their close contact makes Molly reach the maturity and Ray act like as a child of her age.

"Uptown Girls" has just a reasonable and predictable screenplay, being corny and boring sometimes, but supported by two of my favorite actresses: Brittany Murphy and Dakota Fanning. For me, they are the greatest attraction of this common flick and the reason why I bought the VHS. There are a few worthwhile moments along the story, the script has many flaws and this movie is only recommended to fans like me of these two great actresses. My vote is six.

Title (Brazil): "Grande Menina, Pequena Mulher" ("Big Girl, Small Woman")

Sue me, I fell for it (***)

Author: Jason Alley (samurai1978@aol.com) from Sacramento
19 October 2003

This just goes to show you that you shouldn't go into movies with preconceptions, because I went in expecting (hoping, even) to hate this movie, and did for a while, but somewhere along the way it started working on me, and by the end I was practically eating out of its hand.

Molly Gunn (Brittany Murphy) is the rich, immature, hard-partying daughter of a deceased rock star, but when she loses all her money and belongings, she has to take a job as the nanny to a rich little girl named Ray (Dakota Fanning). Ray is very young, but acts like an uptight 45 year-old woman, because she's been ignored by her cold, socialite mother (a "Melrose Place"-ish Heather Locklear).

Both of these characters, but especially little Ray, are entirely fantasy creations. I don't care how self-sufficient she's had to be, no single-digit kid is going to act like this all the time and speak this kind of dialogue.

What makes the movie work is the actors. Murphy is a very likeable actress and with her mixture of raspy sexuality and innocent flakiness, I can't think of anyone who would have been better playing this spoiled rock princess.

And as Ray, Dakota Fanning once again shows that she is one of the absolute best child actors out there. This is the third time in a row she's been the best part of the movie she's in (the other two being the irritating "I Am Sam" and the downright hideous "Trapped"). Once her character begins to lighten up in the second half of the film, her performance really takes off.

So the story is very predictable, the dialogue often weak, and I hated the character of Molly's on-again, off-again "rock star" boyfriend (who inexplicably makes it big with a horrifyingly bad song about Egyptian cotton), but the characters played by Murphy and Fanning are a pleasure to spend time with, and that's what sold it to me.

Not a bad rental

Author: MovieLuvaMatt from New Jersey
14 January 2004

Altogether, it's an amusing film, but its overbearing sentimentality prevents it from really taking off. Basically, if you've seen previews, you can pretty much predict the whole plot of the film. Brittany Murphy is an irresponsible girl who suddenly has to face up to reality when she's evicted from her home, has to get a job babysitting a pampered rich girl (Dakota Fanning) who also has to face up to reality, and by the end Murphy becomes a responsible, mature person and Fanning loosens up and acts more like her age. Blah, blah, blah. There are moments of truth that work, despite spawning from cinematic contrivances. There are in fact a lot of spoiled girls like Fanning's character, who get whatever they want simply because the mothers or fathers don't want to deal with them. That's also why I wish the film could've developed Heather Locklear's character more thoroughly, since she's the reason why her daughter acts the way she does. But the film does have a lot of contrivances that are corny and predictable, which is why I give it merely an above-average rating. Plus, Fanning's snooty sarcasm gets terribly annoying at times. I always hated watching that moment in all the previews where she'd say "News-fe-lash!" All in all, "Uptown Girls" is a fluffy, superficial feel-good comedy that doesn't fail to entertain, and I will recommend it for a rental.

My score: 6 (out of 10)

It's cute, nothing more and nothing less

Author: TheFuneralParty from vancouver
24 August 2003

Everybody that knows Molly Gunn(Brittany Murphy) knows that she doesn't exactly act her age. She has never had a job, hardly cleans her apartment and sees the world through children's eyes(not to mention that she has a pig for a pet). But when her manager runs away and nobody is able to pay her bills, Molly is forced to get a job which turns out to be a babysitter to the very mature and jaded Ray(Dakota Fanning). Though at first, Molly and Ray don't get along, they slowly become good friends and teach each other how to act their age. This was a cute movie, nothing more and nothing less. The main reason that I enjoyed this movie was because of the incredibly adorable Ms.Fanning who is also an amazing actress. Brittany Murphy is a also a great actress but I think she should stop making sugary sweet comedies, they aren't really her thing. She is much better as the troubled mental patient. Anyways, even though this movie is sometimes misguided, it is still enjoyable and sweet. I would give Uptown Girls 6.5/10.

Page 1 of 14:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]