IMDb > Un ballo in maschera (1990) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Un ballo in maschera (TV) More at IMDbPro »

Definitely worthwhile

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
14 July 2011

This is not my favourite Un Ballo in Maschera, that is either the 1980 production for the costume and set design or the 1975 one for the amazing performance of Piero Cappuccilli. But this Ballo in Maschera is very worthwhile.

Georg Solti(last minute replacement for Herbet Von Karajan who died during rehearsals) conducts nobly and aristocratically, and the orchestra are precise and musical.

The opera itself is not my favourite, but I like it a lot. The story is not the most plausible of Verdi's operas, however the music especially Eri Tu is brilliant.

The performances are as good as can be. Josephine Barstow is the weak line for me as Amelia, she sings wonderfully but not as dramatic as I would have liked. Placido Domingo is wonderful as Riccardo, he is in superb voice and his death scene is one of the more moving performances of that scene, while Leo Nucci gives one of his better performances as Renato, Sumi Jo is a sparkling Oscar and Florence Quiver is better than she is in the 1991 Met production, there she sounded great but not as compelling as I have known her to be, here she embodies the character of Ulrica.

Overall, definitely worthwhile. 9/10 Bethany Cox