IMDb > Scampolo (1928) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Scampolo More at IMDbPro »

Amazing forgotten little gem

Author: Luke-28 from New York, NY
30 October 2000

I have seen this movie in NYC, courtesy the Lincoln Center Film Society, within the framework of a cycle titled "Passion and Defiance: Silent Divas of Italian Cinema". The film has been recently rediscovered and restored by the Bologna cinematheque. I for one consider Scampolo a complete revelation. I know two other Genina's movies, and they both had me impressed: the excellent Prix de Beaute with Louise Brooks, and Cyrano de Bergerac in beautifully restored Pathe stencil color. An unpretentious but amazingly witty little comedy, Scampolo confirms Genina's special "touch": a mix of subtle irony and social satire akin to Lubitsch's own bittersweet vision of the world. Scampolo also serves as a perfect vehicle for Carmen Boni's verve and comic skills. She has a very modern type of beauty, not unlike Louise Brooks, and manages to switch from big laughters to genuine emotion with uncommon natural ease. I am still under the spell of her moving performance. I hope this forgotten little gem will soon get a well-deserved DVD release.