IMDb > George Washington (2000) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 7 of 8: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]

A waste of time

Author: Jim from United States
6 May 2004

This is one of the worse movies I've ever seen in my life. If you don't believe it, see it yourself. You'll be sorry.

I can't believe the glowing reviews. This just plain sucks. Someone compared it to watching paint dry. Believe me watching paint dry is much more exciting. The movie has no entertainment value whatsoever.

So Roger Ebert liked it and gave it '****'. So? He's an idiot. Rent this movie and see for yourself. No wonder Gene Siskel argued with him so much. He's probably rolling over in his grave after seeing Ebert's rating on this one.

The glowing reviews on this website? They're out of their minds, period.

George and his friends spend a some days

Author: Andrew Johnson (ahj2b@comcast.net) from United States
26 May 2007

A complete masterpiece of American cinema. Easily one of the best films ever produced in this country. David Gordon Green doesn't announce his arrival as the next great filmmaker, he screams it at the top of his lungs. I have never been more moved by a film in my life. It's so heartbreakingly true. I wept for nearly the entire second half of the damn thing, it's that good.Every aspect of the film is phenomenal. From the destructively beautiful cinematography by Tim Orr to the unbelievably real performances Mr. Green gets out of his child and adult actors. The script and direction in general could not possibly be made any better.This film deserves every ounce of praise it has received and much more.Overall though it is disappointing how few people have seen it, and DG Green's other films as well. All the Real Girls and Undertow are also both exquisitely well made. Green is just as good a filmmaker as PT Anderson, Darren Aronofsky and Todd Solondz, and he's a much better filmmaker than just about everybody else near his age who gets more attention than him including QT, David Russell,Wes Anderson,and any other name one might think of.

a beautiful, quirky masterpiece

Author: creedtj2000 (creedtj2000@yahoo.com) from madison, WI
30 September 2002

Although Green borrows a lot from Malick's BADLANDS and DAYS OF HEAVEN, GEORGE WASHINGTON is a beautifully shot meditation on kids in a rotting, industrial, southern town. The characters are real, and perform well. When I saw this film I was blown away, and started it over and watched it again. I really appreciated the sound, and how it assaulted the senses along with the visuals. Better though, was George's character, determined to become a superhero and save this decaying town by any means necessary. 10 OUT OF 10

a beautiful, quirky masterpiece

Author: creedtj2000 (creedtj2000@yahoo.com) from madison, WI
30 September 2002

Amazing

Author: scd218 (scd218@nyu.edu)
1 July 2002

Quite simply the best movie I have ever seen. The story of the children is both haunting and warming, the town itself is a character, everything in this movie is perfect--there almost seems no point in deciding what to highlight. The acting is so effortless and more real than most everything Hollywood turns out. It is entertaining as a film and evocative as art. Ok, it is hard to write movie recommendations without cliches, but you will not find one in this movie. Just see it...there is not enough that can be said.

A love it or hate it film

Author: Lumpenprole from United States
1 May 2002

This film is overflowing with very thoughtful camera work, meandering dialogue, sequences that ask for you to pretty much meditate on symbols, and is so certain of the charm of its own characters that it'll just watch them interact for long stretches. If you love that kind of thing, George Washington has a lot to offer. This movie is torture for the more literal types. Someone watching this movie for a murder story will find 90% of the film a gratuitous waste.

The film is a symbolic universe all its own, like a distinctive David Lynch reality where everything looks kinda like our world, but isn't (the FBI has agents chasing spirits.) In George Washington kids speak with the voices of adults, adults seem curiously childlike, even garbage is beautiful, everything is permanently summer, and someone morphs from a dragon to a super hero.

kinda funny, kinda sad

Author: (newaver@juno.com)
15 April 2002

This was probably my favorite of the films I saw at this year's Johns Hopkins Film Festival, I found myself laughing out loud at certain times while almost tearing up a bit only a couple minutes later. Only later did I realize this movie was trying a little hard, movie comes off as a little contrived at certain points, but the characters manage for the most part to pull of their almost (ad-libbed?) sounding lines. I didn't mind tho.Definitely worth watching.

GUMMO without half as much originality.

Author: cintact from United States
20 July 2007

The film seemed quite unoriginal. I'm afraid I was disappointed. So many who have seen it who find the interesting or different must be easily impressed. The director was obviously more influenced by GUMMO(1997, Harmony Korine) than the work of Malick or Herzog, which seemed to inspire GUMMO's tone. To make it more obvious, this film came out only a couple of years after GUMMO. While GEORGE WASHINGTON has a couple of moments worth acknowledging, the film seems rather weak in its entirety. The characters may be a bit more likable, but I'm afraid there was little significance to the narrative once the film began in its direction. Now why has Criterion released this on DVD? I don't understand it. I'm afraid I'm usually a bit skeptical when such a film gets released soon after such an impressionable one makes it mark. I'd much rather prefer the most original and creative one.

Stifling

Author: bandw from Boulder, CO
4 February 2006

I wanted to see this movie ever since Roger Ebert heaped praise on it, so I was surprised that I found it to be suffocating, frustrating, and depressing. I just wanted the people in this movie to have more, not just financially, but more opportunity, more respect, more reason to live. If that was indeed the point, then this movie did not give me any new insights.

The interaction among the kids was mundane, except for an occasional soliloquy, or exchange, that obviously came directly from the screen writer's imagination and seemed out-of-place. The adult males were a sad lot - the goofiness of one of the construction workers seemed forced, as did much of the story line.

This movie is nicely photographed and created a mood, but there was just not enough here to get me involved.

True blue newbie

Author: matthew wilder (cosmovitelli@mediaone.net) from los angeles
12 February 2001

The director, David Gordon Green, takes from Terence Malick and

Charles Burnett (what sources for a 25-year-old kid!), but every

frame of his hyperpoeticized first feature is 100% his own damn

business. There is little to be said about this undescribable tone

poem set among mostly black and some white children in a quiet,

soft, rotting-industrial Southern town: the landscapes evoke David

Lynch, but the goofily relaxed race relations are pure gen-y. From

the stylized monologues of his cracker menial laborers (which

sound like Joel and Ethan Coen doing Flannery O'Connor

primitivism) to the widescreen, tableau-like compositions, with

Green constantly pulling backward into a rectangle-shape as if

every moment of these hayseeds' lives were a Last Supper,

everything in GEORGE WASHINGTON is an "Oh...my...God!"

moment. Not all of it makes sense, the latter sections, involving a

green youth who starts to think he's a comic-book superhero, lie

flatter than the first ones...but what images! What editing! What a

sense of performance! Maybe superhero is the right image. In this

one no-budget feature, Green leaps over the Anderson Twins

(Wes and P.T.), not to mention many other high-paid Hollywood

hacks, in a single bound.

Page 7 of 8: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]