Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back (2001) Poster

870 ReviewsOrdered By: Helpfulness
snoogans!!!
Breach13 April 2005
''f*ck,f*ck,f*ck'' when these words are said by a two year old version of Jay before the film switches to present day Jay doing his rap(''drinkin beers beers beers,rollin fatties,etc)the tone of the film is firmly set.But did you expect anything else?The heroes of Kevin Smiths Jersey film series finally get the screen time,and sadly the send off,they deserve.This film is JOKES from start to finish,the dialogue is funny and in places very rude, especially from Jay.|The cast is full of brilliantly chosen cameos,featuring many people having a tongue in cheek pop at themselves.The Good Will Hunting 2:Hunting season section shows Ben affleck and Matt Damon can laugh at themselves,which in a film like this they would need to!Jason Mewes is on top form as is Kevin Smith,especially when Bob is finally driven to an uncharacteristic outburst of more than a few words.BOUT TIME!!!The continuity of this in relation to the previous Jay and Silent Bob outings is superb,and although it is a funnier film if you have seen Kevin Smiths other Jersey films,there are still plenty of jokes for the uninitiated.This is mostly down to a fantastic supporting cast of some great comedic performers.Will Ferrells WildLife Marshall is funny as f*ck as Jay would say!The movie is not just full of jokes at previous Jersey films expense,but it takes a few good shots at other films and even the film industry itself...could Movie Poopshoot.com be a reference to IMDb.com?who knows?.The 2 disc DVD is WELL worth getting if you like the movie,the outtakes are worth the money alone.And one particular extra ''Ham Affleck'' is worth checking,with Ben showing his real cheese skills(which he would perfected in Pearl Harbour,only that time he was trying to be serious).Also the introductions to the many deleted scenes are worth watching,with Affleck again taking some lighthearted ripping from Mewes and Smith.LOL.Rude,fun poking,loud and very very funny.....just like Jay.9/10
74 out of 96 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Pure gold!!!
Hawkboy19 August 2001
If you're the type of movie goer who gets uptight hearing countless F Bombs and explicit sexual discussion, then please move along and let others get in line to see one of the Funniest movies I have seen in my recent memory.

"Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back" is a movie that has so much going on, that one screening is not enough for me to all that was thrown at me in 90 plus minutes.

Writer/Director/Co-Star, Kevin Smith (Silent Bob) has without a doubt created if not his best movie, then it would have to be his funniest. A fitting conclusion to his "New Jersey Trilogy" (that now consists of five films instead of the originally planned three) forgoes the serious religious overtones of "Dogma" and the Sexuality issues brought forth in "Chasing Amy" to go for pure Laughs...............and it succeeds.

The film's main plot revolves around the familiar duo of Jay (Jason Mewes) and his "Heterosexual Life mate" Silent Bob and their attempts to thwart a movie based on a comic book about Jay and Bob. It's essentially a road picture as the guys make their way from Leonardo, New Jersey to Hollywood. Along the way they meet international Jewel Thieves, Steal a Monkey, Meet The Scooby Doo gang, Try and Beat up Ben Affleck and Matt Damon, and much more.

As Silly as all this sounds it's done in such a way that's smart, witty, and still has a touch of class about it. And that's pretty hard to do considering I can't even tell you some of the content of the movie without being censored heavily.

If you are at all familiar with Smith's movies (Clerks, Mallrats, Chasing Amy, and Dogma) you will get a kick out of the countless cameos and connections to his other films. For Example, Jason Lee reprises two roles (one from "Mallrats" and one from "Chasing Amy") as does Ben Affleck. Matt Damon appears as himself playing "Will Hunting" in a fictitious sequel to "Good Will Hunting" entitled `Good Will Hunting II: Hunting Season". There are two highlights of this movie that I need to talk about. First Being Jason Mewes as "Jay". This guy is for real, by far and away he has put in the best performance of all his five film appearances as "Jay" He carries the picture and is side splittingly funny. It is my hope that he can now get other roles in movies besides the loveable Dope smoking "Jay". Secondly I want to address Kevin Smith's Directing. To all the people who say Smith can't direct need to see "Jay and Silent Bob". His use of motion should silence everyone who claims there are no moving shots in a Smith film!!! It's almost become fashionable to blast Smiths direction because that's the Thing to do. With all the great action and movement in "Jay and Silent Bob' Smith can finally shrug off all the criticisms of the past.

What can I say to sum up? It's a brilliant movie for everyone, not just Smith fans. You will laugh and laugh some more. Do yourself a favour and go see it as soon as you can!
88 out of 120 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back: 7/10
movieguy102114 April 2003
For the record, I have not seen Kevin Smith's previous works, Clerks, Mallrats, Chasing Amy, or Dogma, which, I'm almost positive, affected how I saw the movie, since Smith puts in so many in-jokes and references to his previous movies, I didn't get them, except for the blatantly obvious ones.

Jay (Jason Mewes) and Silent Bob (Kevin Smith) hang out in front of a convience store selling weed. When the get a restraining order, they find out that the comic starring their likenesses Bluntman and Chronic is being turned into a Miramax movie. However, they aren't being paid for it, so what to do? Travel cross-country to Hollywood from New Jersey to stop the movie from getting made, what else?

Crude, inappropriate, and extremely funny. If there's ever a movie that you should watch with your drinking friends and not with a date or family, this is the one! It has jokes about genetalia, bodily functions, innuendoes, and more, and I haven't laughed this hard at a movie for a long time. Call me immature, but I like this type of stuff, ones that actually have substance behind the crude jokes (not like Old School).

Mewes was f-ing hilarious, when he f-ing say the f-ing f-word every f-ing word. It has over 230 f-words along in this movie, with the total number of curses probably around 300. I have never heard so many, but I laughed. I'm not ashamed to admit it: Mewes cracked me up, with his stylish arrogance and foul mouth. Smith, who was laconic for almost the entire film, expressed everything with his eyes, which were funny. There were more cameos than a movie of The Simpsons, with Ben Affleck, Matt Damon, George Carlin, Jamie Kennedy, Chris Rock, Tracy Morgan, Joey Lauren Adams, and many, many more.

There were many pot-shots of American movies. For instance, when Jay and Silent Bob meet a drug dealer played by Tracy Morgan, he says that Miramax accounts for about 75% of his income. Also, everyone on-screen looks at the camera when they mention, `No one would pay to see a Jay and Silent Bob movie,' and when Ben Affleck says that one reason you do a picture is because you owe a friend a favor. As the Bluntman and Chronic movies premieres, someone says, `Well, it was better than Mallrats.'

Are you easily offended? Does the mention of various body parts upset you? If you answered yes to either question, Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back is not your movie. If you answered no, sit back and enjoy the ride!

My rating: 7/10

Rated R for nonstop crude and sexual humor, pervasive strong language, and drug content.
35 out of 50 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
CU Film Critic takes on "Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back."
JehuDVD17 October 2001
Whether or not you enjoy `Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back' is going to depend a lot on whether or not you enjoy director Kevin Smith. I, for one, think the guy is a genius. If you don't mind my lauding his name, read on. First, a little background for the uninitiated.

Kevin Smith's movies (Clerks, Mallrats, Chasing Amy, Dogma, and now JSBSB) are a world created by the director himself, in the sense that all are interconnected by characters, plot points, and subtle references. The one constant, though, is the entity known as Jay and Silent Bob, a pair of pot dealers who have more or less spent their entire lives standing in front of the Quik-Stop convenience store. Jay (Jason Mewes) is the long-haired guy we all knew in high school, his endless stream of four-letter epithets almost endearing because the goofy guy just doesn't know any better. Silent Bob (played by director Kevin Smith), Jay's self-described `hetero life-mate' stands by without speaking a word and provides some sort of moral counterpoint for the duo.

In Smith's `Chasing Amy,' Banky and Holden (Jason Lee and Ben Affleck, respectively) created a comic book entitled `Bluntman and Chronic,' based on their real-life buddies Jay and Silent Bob. Fast-forward to `Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back.'

Banky has sold the rights to his comic to Miramax pictures, leaving Jay and Silent Bob in the dark about the business deal. Jay and Bob, with help from Holden, discover via the Internet (`What's the Internet?' asks Jay) that a movie based on them is about to start production. Realizing that they won't see a dime of the money, and even more upset by their defamation on Internet message boards, they decide to truck across the country to stop the film from being produced.

It's important to note that while the comedy is crude, slapstick, and even resorts to fart jokes, it's not dumb comedy, it's satire at it's finest, reminiscent of such self-deprecating masterpieces as `Pee-Wee's Big Adventure' and `Blazing Saddles.' After the fairly serious `Chasing Amy' and the spiritually overtoned `Dogma,' we see that Smith has decided to get together with his buddies and put together one big inside joke. Fortunately, he's decided to let a few of us in on it. The viewer's enjoyment of the movie is going to depend completely on his or her knowledge of Smith's previous films and characters.

Smith's friends show up in cameos, from Chris Rock to Will Ferrell to Alanis Morrissette to Carrie Fisher to Mark Hamill (Smith is an infamous Star Wars fanatic). You can literally see a man's childhood dream coming true when at one point, Smith's Bob gets to carry on a lightsaber duel with Hamill.

Local interest: In one of the many subplots, a group of female jewel thieves bring Jay and Silent Bob to our very own Boulder, Colorado, to steal a monkey from a medical testing facility. `Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back' is a comedy, and doesn't try to be anything else. The only thing I felt was missing was one of Jason Lee's inspired monologues bitterly bemoaning the state of society. Some of Shannon Elizabeth's screen time could have been cut, I felt, in favor of some trademark Smith dialogue.

Smith now intends to focus his time on more dramatic pursuits, and we are given this as the fifth and last film in his so-called `Jersey Trilogy.' The bottom line is, Smith loves his fans, and this film was created for the loyal. A fitting send-off for Jay and Silent Bob, this film gets an `A-.'
69 out of 105 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
An awesome "end" to Smith's Jersey series...
brando6477 May 2005
This is one of the funniest movies I have seen in a long time. I say this because it is the only movie I have ever laughed out loud at in a theater. I know a lot of people complain because the movie is toilet humor, vulgar language, and sex jokes. But so what? Kevin Smith took on serious topics before, this is his chance to kick back. If you go into this movie expecting to be enlightened, then there is something seriously wrong with you.

In the film, Jay and Silent Bob discover that Miramax will be making a movie based on "Bluntman & Chronic", the comic based on themselves. Soon after discovering the insults people are slinging about the movie on the internet, Jay and Silent Bob head to Hollywood to shut the movie down and protect their "good" names. This movie ties together all of Smith's other Jersey crew films, with appearances by characters from "Clerks" through "Chasing Amy".

While it is true that you won't get all the jokes unless you've seen Smith's other movies, that won't stop a person from enjoying it if they haven't. When I first saw "Jay & Silent Bob Strikes Back" in theaters, I had only seen "Dogma" beforehand and I thought it was hilarious. Everyone in this movie puts on an awesome comedic performance, though I think my favorite comes from Will Ferrell as an inept wildlife marshal. If you don't mind some distasteful humor, you've got to see this movie.
49 out of 73 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Smith scores despite a different audience focus.
brenny7725 August 2001
Kevin Smith proved with J.S.B.S.B. that he is no longer just a glorified independent film maker. In past films, Kevin Smith seemed to have a limited appeal, mostly among arm-chair directors (such as myself)who had become jaded with the Hollywood film industry, but with his slap-stick-like middle finger to the movie industry he seems to have branched out and struck a note with the "MTV audience" (10 to 16 year olds). Smith's grade-school humor, delivered mostly by Jay, is nothing new to previous movies, but with the focus on Jay & Silent Bob this humor became more evident AND more inviting to a younger audience.

Nonetheless, Smith has not alienated his core audience who are, "...over and underweight guys who can't get laid." (See Holden McNeil in "Chasing Amy"). The simple visual affects, as in his past movies, are FAR overshadowed by the fantastic dialogue he writes which has Hollywood stars chomping at the bit to deliver. If anything, the only disappointment was a very thin plot (OK, Mallrats: Had a plot, no one ever said it was a good one). But as he did in Mallrats, for what J.S.B.S.B. is lacking in plot, Smith sure as hell made up for it in laughs.

This movie junkie gives "Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back" a 9 out of 10.. .let's just hope what Chris Rock says in the movie doesn't come true. See the movie and you'll get what I mean.
40 out of 59 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The funniest film of the year!
spazierganger27 August 2001
Writer/director/co-star Kevin Smith bids farewell to the Jay and Silent Bob characters in "Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back," the first of the five movies featuring them in which they are the stars. He couldn't have come up with a better send-off for them. True, there's no big ideas behind this film like there were in "Dogma" or "Chasing Amy," but really, the grand ideas in those movies came from the main characters, not Jay and Silent Bob. They were there for comic relief mainly. Therefore, it makes sense that "Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back" would be pure slapstick comedy. Think about it, do you really want a foul-mouthed, over-sexed stoner telling you how to live your life?

So anyway, it's a pure slapstick humor road movie. But unlike most slapstick comedies of late, this one's actually funny...extremely funny. Jay and Silent Bob find out that a movie is being made from a comic book (Bluntman & Chronic) that was based on them. They set off for Hollywood intending to stop it. Kevin Smith manages to pack so many jokes into what could have been another predictable, boring road comedy, that it's head and shoulders above the competition. I'm gonna have to go see it again, to make sure I didn't miss any jokes. Smith once again is showing off his incredible writing skills. Some people may not believe that any movie full of crude, R-rated humor is well written, but it is. Not only is it incredibly funny, but there's an intelligence and wit behind it that is unmistakably Kevin Smith's.

I was also pleased with the quality of acting in the movie, especially Jason Mewes (Jay). In past View Askew movies, Mewes has been funny, despite not doing a particularly good job of acting. The one thing I was worried about was whether or not he'd be able to carry a film mostly by himself (since Silent Bob is mostly, well, silent). But he definitely proved that he has grown enough as an actor to be able to head up a movie. Kevin Smith (Silent Bob) does his usual decent job. Since he doesn't say much, mainly just reacts, he can't to a great job, but he's still very funny. He's the perfect companion (or should I say, "hetero life mate" for Jay, who's the complete opposite. There are no real other big parts in the movie, but there are tons of little cameos. Really, I think it'd be easier to list the people who DON'T appear in it. Some of the highlights include a scene with Ben Affleck and Matt Damon playing themselves, on the set of "Good Will Hunting 2: Hunting Season," a scene with Jason Biggs and James Van Der Beek, as themselves, playing the stars of the Bluntman and Chronic movie, and a scene with Mark Hamill parodying Star Wars. But really, almost all of the jokes are highlights.

For people who have seen the other films in Smith's New Jersey Chronicles series ("Clerks," "Mallrats," "Chasing Amy," & "Dogma"), there are quite a few in-jokes that you will find hilarious. In addition to playing himself, Affleck also reprises his role as Holden from "Chasing Amy," Jason Lee reprises his roles from "Chasing Amy" and "Mallrats," and Jeff Anderson and Brian O'Halloran reprise their "Clerks" roles. Many others from the View Askewniverse appear as well. However, this movie is not only for fanboys. I saw it with a friend who hadn't seen any of the other four movies, and he thought it was hilarious too. The majority of the jokes will be understood by anyone. The in-jokes are like a little bonus from Smith to his fans, but they are not the focus of the movie.

Kevin Smith also does a good job directing. Lately, it seems to have become popular to attack Smith's directing ability, but I think he did a good job. In his earlier movies, his directing was simply decent, not good, not bad. But he has made a lot of progress. This is one of the better directed comedies I've seen. Not Academy Award stuff, but most other comedy directors are pretty boring it seems.

I want to briefly comment on the GLAAD protests of the film, citing large amounts of homophobia. I am gay, and I didn't find the film offensive. I think a lot of people are just taking the film way to seriously. It's not a serious film. People forget that Jay is, basically, a moron, so you can exactly take everything he says as the truth. Smith has said it's supposed to be a satire, and it works. Especially considering that in past films, Jay has admitted to sometimes fantasizing about guys. It's a satire, lighten up people. There's actually a funny scene where James Van Der Beek chastises Jason Biggs for calling something "gay," and also there's a funny disclaimer at the end.

Which reminds me, stay for the credits. There's plenty of funny stuff, and Alanis Morissette shows up at the very end. All in all, "Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back" is an extremely funny movie, plain and simple. Just don't take it seriously, because again, it's not a serious movie. There's still a few months to go, but I think this will prove to be the funniest movie of the year...actually, of the last many years. Quit reading this and go see it!

Rating: 10/10
68 out of 109 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Jay and Silent Bob waste my $8
drocta9501 September 2001
This film will hold a special place in the hearts of all Kevin Smith fans. It is nothing more than his very own greatest hits reel. Now I kind of dig the man myself, liked a few of his films-hated a few more, but I entered the theatre as more of a impartial film fan rather than Kevin Smith nut. Keep that in mind as I say these words: Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back is one of the most horrible pieces of nonsense ever put to film. It was so bad I expected Pauly Shore to have a few lines. The titular characters are really not interesting enough to carry an entire movie, especially seeing that one is silent. After 90 minutes the voice of Jay was an inch away from giving me a seizure. Crude and stupid, in all of the bad ways, this film puts a black mark next to the name of a filmmaker who really isn't all that talented in the first place. Luckily these characters are being retired, hopefully a forced change of scenery will force Smith into making a film that isn't horrible.
14 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Kevin Smith delivers the goods in a great finale
graham clarke16 April 2004
Kevin Smith's previous movies always seemed to be something of a mixed bag. Whether ambitious thematically, ("Dogma", "Chasing Amy"), or outright comedy, ("Mallrats"), the movies as a whole were less satisfactory than their many very funny parts. The sporadic appearances of the second string character duo of Jay and Silent Bob were always a welcome event.

The big question was whether this 2001 styled Laurel and Hardy, when promoted to center stage, could carry a movie. The answer much to my surprise was a resounding yes. Smith outdoes himself, producing an exceptional comedy. It's consistently inventive, with surprises, in jokes and many cameos from Smith regulars, all who seem to be genuinely having a ball. Never has irreverence and bad language been done with so much charm.

Those who disliked Smith's previous works would do well to stay away, they are unlikely to be converted. But for fans, Smith really does deliver the goods, in a big way.

I was totally baffled by reading that certain gay groups took offence to this movie. It would seem to me a total misreading as well as a great deficiency in the humor department. Apart from the fact that Smith lampoons all and sundry, it actually struck me as a particularly gay friendly movie. The fact that a gay character sums the movie up as one big gay joke should be taken as a compliment more than anything else.

It's clear that this brings Smith's cycle to a close. He couldn't have wished for a better ending.
37 out of 59 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Jay and Silent Bob Go Out With a Whimper
oconnoreb25 August 2001
Having seen every Kevin Smith film but MALLRATS, I went in to J & SB SB with fairly high expectations. Coming out of the theatre last night, I was very disappointed with what I had just seen. Some of the gags and spoofs worked, but there were more hits than misses. This movie is especially weak considering that it followed CHASING AMY and DOGMA--2 of the best (and funniest) American films of the past five years.

If this flick was something that Kevin Smith just had to get out of his system, then I'm willing to forgive him. I think he's got a lot more to offer than fart and stoner jokes. There's little proof of that in this film, though. If you're a Smith fan, you can wait for this movie to hit the discount theatres (or video). If you haven't seen any previous KS films, by all means skip J & SB SB. I couldn't imagine a worse intro to the Jersey "trilogy."

Rating: 5/10
18 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The worst and least funny movie I have ever seen.
mark-35826 August 2001
This movie is not funny. It is silly and stupid in the most boring sense. I sat in a movie theatre and heard no laughs, and watched a number of people leave midway. What has come over you who voted and gave it an 8? I noticed that the vast majority of those voting are males 18-30. Has our gender deteriorated so much that we consider this kind of drivel to be entertaining?
15 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
This one is for complete morons who are proud of their status.
Geff2 September 2001
This one is for complete morons who are proud of their status. I LOL'd only two times. This film was an "in-your-face-we-don't-care-about-you-and-you're-too-dumb-to-realize-it." There was an atmosphere of high school elitism: "We don't care about anyone but ourselves because we think we're funny and we're great." It was so egocentric and totally lazy. I saw little creativity and many stupid, stupid jokes. However, Ben and Matt should be commended for their ability to laugh at themselves. They and James VDB were funny. As for the film as a whole, it was a crashing bore for retards and geeks. One of the few films I have ever seen that truly fits the "AWFUL" category. Note that in the word awful are the two letters of F and U. Rated it 1.
16 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Sullies the name of puerile trash
oshram-325 August 2001
While I've liked the majority of Kevin Smith's films and greatly enjoyed Dogma, Jay and Silent Bob is just an excuse for him to engage in cinematic onanism for an hour and a half. Utter tripe, crap, and indulgent. This is the man who wrote Clerks, Mallrats and Dogma? I guess he must have stitched together the lamest bits that didn't make it into those films to creat 9and I use that term loosely) this one.

I know there are Smithophiles who read every comic book he writes and love everything he does, and they will like this film. And Smith has done some excellent work in his career; just not here. He's said many times that this will be the last Jay and Silent Bob film; while I've liked them until now, after seeing this indulgent pile of crap, I'm not sorry that's
13 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Total Garbage
kev30722 August 2001
I used to think Kevin Smith was a good director. He made two great comedy/dramas-Clerks and Chasing Amy-that I admired very much. His latest film, however, is the work of a sell out and an insult to the intelligence of moviegoers everywhere. It seems that the main impetus for the film being made was Kevin Smith's fragile ego not being able to take criticism over the internet. In place of the wit and insight of Smith's best films, this movie has phony hollywood stars trying to be self-deprecating, mindless profanity, and ridiculous situations that make no sense. Even Chris Rock isn't funny in this movie. Please don't waste your time on this awful disgrace to celluloid.
10 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Disappointed; just not funny
nazardo3 September 2001
I'm a big Kevin Smith fan but this movie is just not funny. It saddens me if people think this type of stuff passes off as comedy.

We've really lowered our standards. For the ammount of talent this director/writer has to work with he can come up with a lot better -- I know I can. Nowadays it seems like if you have 2-3 funny scenes you can wrap a movie around it. What we have here is maybe two with a whole lot of riffing by Jay which to me has become pointess and boring since Mallrats. Maybe I'm just getting older but swearing, gay jokes and farting just kind of get old after 3-4 films, you know? At least the series is finally over and we'll see if Smith has any talent or not. Judging from this fluff I have extreme doubt.

What ever happened to the clever sharp dialogue? That's all his film's had before. None of them (sans Chasing Amy) had any plot but were full of juicy monologues and one-liners, not to mention plenty of satire and on-target observations of our society. But that's been slowly receding and I think Kevin Smith fans have got to be brainwashed here now because this is NOT a good movie. I loved his first 3 movies and I know the universe of the characters and I found all the references to his other films, fans, critics, the interent to all be very lazy and poorly handled. I feel cheated by the one guy who I thought wouldn't sell out but he did it a long time ago...

* (one star)

Not worth your money...
25 out of 42 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Brilliant Comedy!
Paul Green22 April 2005
When I was first asked by a friend to watch this DVD with her my initial reaction was that it's not for me. Stoner humour is not my normal genre, cheech and chong bored me, as did many other films based around the same sort of thing. When she told me that it was the two goof balls out of Dogma I was even more concerned that I was about to give two hours of my life to trash.

What a change! Kevin Smith has worked a wonder on this film, the quick (if a little predictable) one liners, the skill of the cast, alongside the non stop comedy coming from cameos, often playing parodies of themselves makes it worth buying a copy. The only thing that lets the movie down is it's "art school" look; in places it can look like Smith happens to have some high powered friends that helped to promote this movie and make it the success it was. If you want a light hearted film to watch over and over again, picking up the more subtle gags then it's one for you.

Hope this helps. PG
33 out of 58 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
It was OK...
duke3321 September 2001
Let me start out by saying that like most people here, I am a Kevin Smith fan. I thought clerks and chasing amy were great movies from a brilliant director. Superb acting, great jokes, and great characters.

Unfortunately, his newest movie, Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back, has none of those things. First of all, let me point out that these characters are not the same Jay and Silent Bob many of you will remember from Clerks. They were annoying, drug-dealing losers who played a small role in the movie. Somewhere along the way, however, they became lovable goons that are the center of a movie. I'm not sure these characters are well developed enough to be the main characters.

Anyways, on to the movie. This movie starts out SLLLOOOOWWWWW...It was too bad that they bring back lots of great characters like Randall, Dante, and Brody, but only for quick cameo shots. None of them offer anything to this movie. It takes a while, but finally the jokes start rolling. Sadly, Kevin Smith kind of gave in to the "American Pie" movie style, which is just making lewd comments and sexual jokes. There is no intelligent, insightful dialogue, as you are used to from his other movies.

I think that the one bright spot of the movie was Chris Rock's character. He displays the charm and wittiness that you have come to know from characters like Banky, Randall, Hooper X, etc.

Overall, i would give this movie 4 stars out of 10. There are some funny spots, but they do not really start until about halfway through the movie.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
more money=less effort
toddbridges27 February 2002
Horrible flick. Kevin Smith please stop believing your own hype and make a clever film like Clerks again. Are you purposely trying to cater to the "American Pie" crowd.

I saw Kevin Smith in San Diego at the ComicCon last year and liked what he had to say....too bad that kind of wit didn't make it into this movie.
8 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Kevin Smith's magnum opus ode to himself
rick_baer25 August 2001
Whatever went wrong with Kevin Smith's 1995 film Mallrats has been fixed in Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back. Now in 2001, Kevin Smith devotes ninety-five minutes of film to himself. Any negative reviews you may read are surely written by critics who weren't big fans of Smith's previous efforts (especially Mallrats). J&SBSB is a movie for the View Askew fans. The film contains many references to Clerks (1994), Mallrats (1995), Chasing Amy (1997), and Dogma (1999) as well as the Clerks comic books and the Jay and Silent Bob comic book, Chasing Dogma, that bridges the gap between Chasing Amy and Dogma (actually, a great deal of the film's road trip comes directly from this book).

J&SBSB (the fifth film in the New Jersey Trilogy, much like The Hitchhiker's Guide five-part trilogy) is filled to the brim with crude humor that usually turns off most movie critics, but it's crude humor with Kevin Smith's familiar wit. It's written for Jason Mewes to really shine in his performance (I never thought I'd say that).

The major part of this film that stood out for me is the craft. The craft?! What the hell could I be talking about? As many know, Kevin Smith's movies are notorious for having almost zero camera moves. This is Kevin Smith's most technically superior film (probably because it's his highest budget). There are camera moves and excellent camera angles. In Smith's last film, Dogma, as well as this one, he utilizes the 2.35:1 aspect ratio. Why in the world he feels that he needs to use such scope in these films is beyond me.

Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back is not a "real" movie. Chasing Amy is the closest Smith has come to that. For the View Askew/Kevin Smith fans, this is his best film. It will certainly be interesting to see what kind of movies Smith decides to make now that his New Jersey Trilogy has come to a close and he doesn't have the familiar characters to fall back on.
32 out of 58 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A relentless barrage of in-jokes and idiocy
Richard Burin5 July 2003
It's almost impossible to believe that this film is from the self same Kevin Smith who wrote and directed Clerks. Gone is the biting wit and odd charm of that film, and in its place, big-budget pointlessness and a dozen more dick jokes. The many cameo appearances of characters from the other movies which comprise the extended 'New Jersey Trilogy' (Clerks, Mallrats, Chasing Amy and the woeful Dogma) serve only to remind the viewer just how good - or even average - Smith used to be. Indeed, whatever it was that made his work so individual and enjoyable was clearly lost some time ago.

Directorially, the 'post-modern' elements (several actors playing dual roles) are fairly well-handled, though presumably quite confusing for those who haven't seen earlier entries in the series. Unfortunately, however, Smith's usual lack of visual awareness and style is once more in evidence. In Clerks it didn't matter: the script was so tight that the primitive direction was irrelevant, but here, with hardly any gags hitting the mark (special mention for Mark Hamill's spectacularly unfunny cameo) it's extremely noticeable.

The acting too, is of a poor standard with too many lines and jokes fluffed, though Jason Mewes' usual one-note performance (essentially playing a toned-down version of himself, by all accounts) works well here. All in all, more puerile and less funny than its predecessors, though foul-mouthed children, stoners and idiots may take to it more than most.
20 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Did this get a 7.8 or a 1.8 ?!?!
letiji12 December 2001
I've always trusted imdb movie scores, and a 7.8 was always a movie at least worth watching... But what is this Jay and Silent Bob stuff? It is really a disgrace even to slapstick comedy! Unless you yourself are a brainless idiot really don't waste your time!

8 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Hollywood had it coming? They still do.
scd-23 September 2001
Having enjoyed Clerks and most of Chasing Amy and Dogma this is an incredibly inept flick. Which got tiresome quicker? The flatulence and oral sex jokes or the "acting" of director Smith? The shrugs, eyerolls, the hand gestures. Ugh. Also, how many times do you have to say the f-word? And how many times do you have to mention what a slimepit Miramax is? It must be pretty bad because they're responsible for bringing this to a theater near me. In that vein, how does Smith expect his mostly college-aged audience to react to repeated references to Miramax? "Ooh this film was made by Miramax, it MUST be..." Who goes to a movie based on the studio or production company? For a movie that supposedly rails against Hollywood (see tagline) this is an incredible supposition. This is about as anti-studio as "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World". This film also proves that any movie which relies on a steady stream of walk-ons (unless it is directed by Robert Altman) is doomed to failure.

Mr. Smith, if you emulate your characters and read the postings of know-it-alls on the Internet, next time try to make a movie not so reliant on references to other movies--especially your own. Get an original idea! I'll be happy to help!
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Why Kevin Smith?
bogie2428 September 2009
If anyone has to refuse people to be allowed in to see one of his junior high movies then, something is wrong. This guy actually sends people out into the audience and picks who can stay and demands others to leave before the movie roles. Why? Could Kevin Smith be anymore of a cry baby? Well?

I will use his movies in teaching film school students as what NOT to do. Watch the editing. Really, really watch it. It goes like this. Actor 1 says a line. Actor 2 says a line. Actor 1 says a line Actor 2 says a line and so on. You see poor, poor Kevin Smith never learned how to edit. Even, in that famous story about how he had an argument with Ben Affleck, "Chasing Amy" about the line, " What do you use for foreplay? A baseball bat?" Kevin demanded that Ben not say that again. In editing you can see the edit jump and the sound stop at Ben Affleck saying the line, "wha* Why? Because Kevin will take his ball and go home.
Subpar Smith
EnriqueH27 January 2002
It pains me to say it, but this is the only Kevin Smith film I didn't like. I even loved Mallrats, which was heavily criticized. The movie started off on a pretty good note, the Scooby sequence ranks with the best Smith moments, but that's exactly what this movie is: an all around crappy film with some good, even memorable scenes injected every now and then.

I think the main reason this movie failed was that it was EXTREMELY pretentious. I've never met Smith and I've only seen a few interviews. I love the guy as a filmmaker and NO ONE loves Clerks, Mallrats, Chasing Amy or Dogma more than me. I connected with those four films big time. But with THIS film, it's as if the fame has gone to View Askew's head. There's a sort of "we're so cool" feel to a lot of the characters, but none more so than Silent Bob. When SB started shouting in Jay's face, I cringed and sank in my seat because it was SUPPOSED to be funny and it was supposed to make us think, "Wow, Silent Bob is not only talking, but he's also shouting." But instead, I just thought to myself, "Oh, come ON!" I'm no mindreader, but I definitely sensed that the film was done with an underlying, albeit probably unintentional arrogance about it.

I heard this was going to be the last of the Jay & Silent Bob series. I was bummed about that until I saw this. This fragmented film, although it's supposed to be silly, proves that the Jay & Silent Bob series was running on fumes. It was as if Smith ran out of things to do or say. Mind you, I'm not saying it should've had a serious message. There wasn't a really dramatic message in Mallrats, yet I loved it. Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back is not a total crap film, but it's definitely the one and only View Askew film I was really disappointed with, and I think the film's pretentiousness has a lot to do with why it failed.
crap on steroids
nivek_nailgun2 September 2001
I'm a huge fan of Kevin Smiths older work,namely Clerks and Mallrats. Chasing Amy to a lesser extent and I was disappointed with Dogma. Completely stunned would be close to how I felt sitting through this trash. Following the 'Wayans Pattern' of once putting great stuff out then quickly decomposing to trash is what I would say about Smiths stuff thus far. I can't believe a writer with his talent degraded to 'drooling idiot fanbase' level. His previous movies always had insight combined with wit and fantastic dialogue. This 'thing' had none of that. The fact that he even stooped to the 'white guy' jokes with that racist idiot Chris Rock,was a major disappointment. I'm not sure what I regret more,wasting that hour and a half of my life,or spent the money to go on the weekend when it was most expensive. 2/10