Serving Sara (2002) Poster

(2002)

100 ReviewsOrdered By: Helpfulness
Decent Comedy
E. Catalan16 February 2004
I don't know why everybody is bashing this little movie. Granted, it's not an "extraordinary film" nor is it Oscar material, but it does get the job done, and that is to entertain for an hour and a half. Matthew Perry's character is not that far removed from what he does in "Friends", so if you like "Friends" style of humor, you'll have no problem enjoying "Serving Sara". The premise of a guy delivering court notices isn't very attractive, but the movie does a fine job in stretching this premise and making it funny. Liz Hurley looks, as always, hot and Bruce Campbell(EVIL DEAD) is funny as the Texas business Honcho trying to divorce his wife.

I actually had my reservations about watching this one, because neither the title nor the cast was that appealing to me at first, but again, I must confess that I did enjoy this little sucker and I'd be lying if I told you otherwise. 7* out of 10*!
36 out of 42 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
99 Minutes of Good Entertainment
Claudio Carvalho24 October 2005
In New York, the process server Joe Tyler (Matthew Perry) is assigned to deliver a divorce paper to Sara Moore (Elizabeth Hurley). Her wealthy Texan husband Gordon Moore (Bruce Campbell) is cheating her and also trying to take all their money for him. Sara offers one million dollars to Joe serving Gordon first, and he travels to Texas with Sara trying to accomplish his task. Meanwhile, the serving company sends Tony (Vincent Patore), the colleague and enemy of Joe, to serve Sara. A dispute begins with the oponents trying to serve the divorce papers first, to get financial advantages in the process.

I liked a lot this chase movie that slightly recalls "Midnight Run". There are many funny moments, Matthew Perry and Elizabeth Hurley show great chemistry and the IMDb User Rating of 4.6 is quite unfair. Every time that I see the beautiful and delicious Elizabeth Hurley, I recall the amazing choice of Hugh Grant for Divine Brown. My vote is seven.

Title (Brazil): "A Serviço de Sara" ("Serving Sara")
38 out of 45 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Not Such a Bad Comedy
RoodyMan28 January 2006
Frankly, the amount of stars this movie received on this site is sickening. I honestly found this movie to be an adequately comical film, and can't see how it only received 4.8 out of 10. Now, obviously it wasn't the best movie I've ever seen, but I did find myself laughing at it quite frequently. I really can't think of anything major that would yield such a low score. The acting was good, the cast had Mathew Perry, Elizabeth Hurley, Jerry Stiller, Cedric the Entertainer, a cameo from Mike Judge, and someone who I believe deserves to be in many more movies, Bruce Campbell. The story was sufficiently original, and the movie had, a brilliant, yet unforeseen twist towards the end. The only thing I could possibly think of for people giving this movie such a low rating, is that people tend to over-analyze comedies way too much. You can't expect a drama movie to be the same as a comedy, it just doesn't work that way. Personally, I would like to see this movie again, and feel that it deserves a better rating on this site than it obtained.
22 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Oh yes...
filmfreak-522 April 2003
I saw this movie, mainly because Matthew Perry was in it, and I love his Chandler Bing character. Now, I first feared "oh no, this is going to be some romantic mumbo jumbo", but NO. Ofcourse this film contains romance, but it's ok, cause it's funny as hell. Perry makes several characters in this movie, which are worth it alone. Hilarious and I can definately recommend it, eventhough the plot line is a little weak, but Perry and his co-stars makes totally up for it..
20 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Funny Movie!
Brian T. Whitlock (GOWBTW)20 November 2007
Matthew Perry and Elizabeth Hurley serve up a very funny, and fine comedy romp in "Serving Sara". Perry plays Joe Tyler, a processing server who boss(Cedric The Entertainer) is more conniving than himself. He and his lackey Tony (Vincent Pastore) makes lots of money serving people. Upon making a serve, he meets Sara(Hurley) and gives him a offer he couldn't refuse. After getting his nose busted, the new partnership has begun. I like the part at the airport where Sara's jeans get mangled up at the conveyor belt. Then when they get to a cheap motel, she flashes the night auditor. The recipe of this team-up is revenge on her ex-husband(Bruce Campbell). Tony, Ray Harris' co-worker is more inept than helpful. He gets the paperwork done, but the time zone gives his the disadvantage. Revenge does have its price, but if it's right, it's a payoff. The result, living large and in charge! Great movie, great cast, so-so response from the critics. But I don't care! You got served! 3 out of 5 stars!
13 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
"Serving Sara" is a comedy about a young man who is struggling in his career as he tries to determine and accomplish his goals.
jones8220 March 2003
"Serving Sara" is a modern-day comedy movie about a man who gave up a successful career take a job that he enjoys. He becomes frustrated as he struggles to accomplish his daily job duties and he cannot figure out why. He learns (the hard way) that his coworker is not only jealous of him, but also competitive towards him.

The main male character is Joe who is played by Matthew Perry. Matthew Perry works for a private investigator as a process server and is hired to serve divorce papers to the main female character Sara, played by Elizabeth Hurley. Matthew Perry has goals and struggles to stay on track to accomplish his goals. Once he serves Elizabeth Hurley her divorce papers, she convinces Matthew Perry to work with her to save her share of her fortune.

This movie is very similar to another movie starring Matthew Perry titled "Fools Rush In", 1996, also starring Selma Hayek. The movie is about a man whose struggles to be successful at any cost and slowly learns what is important to him. He struggles to reach his true goals, as Matthew does in "Serving Sara". Like "Fools Rush In", "Serving Sara" is light humor with little or no real point to the movie. In both movies Matthew Perry plays a funny guy who works along side of beautiful women, and in the end is able to accomplish his goals.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
It Could've Been So Much More
HeavensMee26 August 2002
I watched `Serving Sara' on Saturday. I wish I could say it was a very funny film. I wish I could say that Matthew Perry doesn't look unhealthy for most of the movie. I wish I could say that Elizabeth Hurley was a good comedic actress. I can say that it's clear even when she's acting that Ms. Hurley is a very classy lady. She's also obviously comfortable in front of the camera. However, her use of exaggerated hip swaying and mouth expressions isn't effective in carrying the jokes. When I think of popular actresses who are naturally funny, I think of Julia Roberts and Meg Ryan. Both these ladies utilize their eyes and whole faces in delivering their comedic lines. As for the very likeable Matthew, the circles under his eyes and his drawn face made it hard for me to focus on his performance. His delivery was similar to his acting in `Friends', but in `Serving Sara' his appearance throughout the whole movie seemed subdued. Perhaps he lacked gusto due to the health crisis he was battling at the time of filming or maybe he was directed to be less `Chandler', and more streetwise and scrappy. As for the other two main co-stars, Vincent Pastore basically plays his character in `The Sopranos'; I couldn't detect any difference between his movie performance and television persona. Cedric `The Entertainer' caught my attention with his on-the-verge-of-a-heart-attack performance as the boss with a short temper and high blood pressure. However, his schtick ran out of steam rather quickly. I became unimpressed after his second remark about `that bitch' revealed a lack of original dialogue. Still, if you're a Matthew Perry fan, as I am, the movie isn't an entire waste. The actor's good nature shines through, even when his role calls for him to be something of a jaded character. I had a few chuckles at some of Matthew's more physical scenes and got to watch him for an hour and a half, so I left the theatre with a smile on my face.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
DO NOT LISTEN TO THE REVIEWS!!!!
SnowWhiteSal23 August 2002
After seeing all the promotion Mr Perry has been doing over the last week or so for Serving Sara I started looking forward to this movie more and more. I went in today after reading what some of the reviewers had been saying about the movie and I have to admit I was a little worried I would be disappointed but the reviewers couldn't have been more wrong about this one. Matthew Perry is a fantastic actor and I have to agree with everything Larry King said to Matthew on Thursday 22nd August on his show

KING: My late friend Jackie Gleason made a movie once with a fellow named Tom Hanks, and he told me, this kid, big. You going to be the next Tom Hanks.

PERRY: Thank you very much.

KING: I'm predicting it, Perry. You're a lot like him, you have that air about you, you look the type, and I think you're going to get major roles and this one, "Serving Sara," is just another springboard on a great career.

After watching this movie I can defiantly say Matthew is going to be the next Tom Hanks. His comedic timing in this film was superb and the accents... hilarious!!!! the whole film had me in hysterics.

Everything about this movie was fantastic... not much else to say except DO NOT listen to the people reviewing this movie who say it's not worth seeing... they couldn't be more wrong !!!

I give it 10/10
15 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
why is everyone hating this so much???
moviesfan1111 December 2003
SERVING SARA(2002)*** Matthew Perry, Elizabeth Hurley, Cedric the Entertainer, and Bruce Cambell.

In this screwball comedy, a process server, Joe Tyler,(Perry) tries to serve divorce papers to Sara Moore(Hurley). But when he finally serves her, she makes him an offer. If he tears up the papers and serves Sara's husband(Cambell), she would give him 1 million dollars.

I have no idea why everyone is hating this movie such. It was good! I think it could have benn funnier, but it was still enjoyable, and sweet. I think Perry and Hurley have a lot of chemistry, and I would like to see them paired up together again. Stop being so cruel! jk

SERVING SARA-***/****

PG-13 language, and some crude/sexual humor.This wasn't as innapropriate as it looked in the previews. Like most of the bad stuff is in the preview.
11 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Painful to watch.
dustin_wolford7 February 2003
I thought the bad Matt Perry movies were over now that he is out of rehab. He constantly tries to play the cool guy, which is uncomfortable for everyone to watch. He should have been the humorous fish out of water that people enjoy. After this film anything with the Matt Perry stamp on it should be direct to video. Anyone associated with this movie is suspect. Elizabeth Hurley should not have agreed to this movie, hopefully she got paid up front. The villain Hurley's husband is the star of a funny comedy-horror movie, but this character was barely two dimensional. I officially blame the director for putting this garbage together. A good movie can effect you. Well I was physically uncomfortable when they tried to develop a love story towards the end. In that respect is the only way this movie could be classified as good.
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this