IMDb > Serving Sara (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 10:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]

99 Minutes of Good Entertainment

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
24 October 2005

In New York, the process server Joe Tyler (Matthew Perry) is assigned to deliver a divorce paper to Sara Moore (Elizabeth Hurley). Her wealthy Texan husband Gordon Moore (Bruce Campbell) is cheating her and also trying to take all their money for him. Sara offers one million dollars to Joe serving Gordon first, and he travels to Texas with Sara trying to accomplish his task. Meanwhile, the serving company sends Tony (Vincent Patore), the colleague and enemy of Joe, to serve Sara. A dispute begins with the oponents trying to serve the divorce papers first, to get financial advantages in the process.

I liked a lot this chase movie that slightly recalls "Midnight Run". There are many funny moments, Matthew Perry and Elizabeth Hurley show great chemistry and the IMDb User Rating of 4.6 is quite unfair. Every time that I see the beautiful and delicious Elizabeth Hurley, I recall the amazing choice of Hugh Grant for Divine Brown. My vote is seven.

Title (Brazil): "A Serviço de Sara" ("Serving Sara")

Decent Comedy

Author: E. Catalan (ecatalan98@gmail.com) from Mexico
16 February 2004

I don't know why everybody is bashing this little movie. Granted, it's not an "extraordinary film" nor is it Oscar material, but it does get the job done, and that is to entertain for an hour and a half. Matthew Perry's character is not that far removed from what he does in "Friends", so if you like "Friends" style of humor, you'll have no problem enjoying "Serving Sara". The premise of a guy delivering court notices isn't very attractive, but the movie does a fine job in stretching this premise and making it funny. Liz Hurley looks, as always, hot and Bruce Campbell(EVIL DEAD) is funny as the Texas business Honcho trying to divorce his wife.

I actually had my reservations about watching this one, because neither the title nor the cast was that appealing to me at first, but again, I must confess that I did enjoy this little sucker and I'd be lying if I told you otherwise. 7* out of 10*!

Not Such a Bad Comedy

Author: RoodyMan from United States
28 January 2006

Frankly, the amount of stars this movie received on this site is sickening. I honestly found this movie to be an adequately comical film, and can't see how it only received 4.8 out of 10. Now, obviously it wasn't the best movie I've ever seen, but I did find myself laughing at it quite frequently. I really can't think of anything major that would yield such a low score. The acting was good, the cast had Mathew Perry, Elizabeth Hurley, Jerry Stiller, Cedric the Entertainer, a cameo from Mike Judge, and someone who I believe deserves to be in many more movies, Bruce Campbell. The story was sufficiently original, and the movie had, a brilliant, yet unforeseen twist towards the end. The only thing I could possibly think of for people giving this movie such a low rating, is that people tend to over-analyze comedies way too much. You can't expect a drama movie to be the same as a comedy, it just doesn't work that way. Personally, I would like to see this movie again, and feel that it deserves a better rating on this site than it obtained.

Oh yes...

Author: filmfreak-5 from Denmark
22 April 2003

I saw this movie, mainly because Matthew Perry was in it, and I love his Chandler Bing character. Now, I first feared "oh no, this is going to be some romantic mumbo jumbo", but NO. Ofcourse this film contains romance, but it's ok, cause it's funny as hell. Perry makes several characters in this movie, which are worth it alone. Hilarious and I can definately recommend it, eventhough the plot line is a little weak, but Perry and his co-stars makes totally up for it..

Funny Movie!

Author: Brian T. Whitlock (GOWBTW) from WILMINGTON, NC
20 November 2007

Matthew Perry and Elizabeth Hurley serve up a very funny, and fine comedy romp in "Serving Sara". Perry plays Joe Tyler, a processing server who boss(Cedric The Entertainer) is more conniving than himself. He and his lackey Tony (Vincent Pastore) makes lots of money serving people. Upon making a serve, he meets Sara(Hurley) and gives him a offer he couldn't refuse. After getting his nose busted, the new partnership has begun. I like the part at the airport where Sara's jeans get mangled up at the conveyor belt. Then when they get to a cheap motel, she flashes the night auditor. The recipe of this team-up is revenge on her ex-husband(Bruce Campbell). Tony, Ray Harris' co-worker is more inept than helpful. He gets the paperwork done, but the time zone gives his the disadvantage. Revenge does have its price, but if it's right, it's a payoff. The result, living large and in charge! Great movie, great cast, so-so response from the critics. But I don't care! You got served! 3 out of 5 stars!

DO NOT LISTEN TO THE REVIEWS!!!!

Author: SnowWhiteSal from London
23 August 2002

After seeing all the promotion Mr Perry has been doing over the last week or so for Serving Sara I started looking forward to this movie more and more. I went in today after reading what some of the reviewers had been saying about the movie and I have to admit I was a little worried I would be disappointed but the reviewers couldn't have been more wrong about this one. Matthew Perry is a fantastic actor and I have to agree with everything Larry King said to Matthew on Thursday 22nd August on his show

KING: My late friend Jackie Gleason made a movie once with a fellow named Tom Hanks, and he told me, this kid, big. You going to be the next Tom Hanks.

PERRY: Thank you very much.

KING: I'm predicting it, Perry. You're a lot like him, you have that air about you, you look the type, and I think you're going to get major roles and this one, "Serving Sara," is just another springboard on a great career.

After watching this movie I can defiantly say Matthew is going to be the next Tom Hanks. His comedic timing in this film was superb and the accents... hilarious!!!! the whole film had me in hysterics.

Everything about this movie was fantastic... not much else to say except DO NOT listen to the people reviewing this movie who say it's not worth seeing... they couldn't be more wrong !!!

I give it 10/10

It Could've Been So Much More

Author: HeavensMee (heavensmee@hotmail.com) from Toronto, Canada
26 August 2002

I watched `Serving Sara' on Saturday. I wish I could say it was a very funny film. I wish I could say that Matthew Perry doesn't look unhealthy for most of the movie. I wish I could say that Elizabeth Hurley was a good comedic actress. I can say that it's clear even when she's acting that Ms. Hurley is a very classy lady. She's also obviously comfortable in front of the camera. However, her use of exaggerated hip swaying and mouth expressions isn't effective in carrying the jokes. When I think of popular actresses who are naturally funny, I think of Julia Roberts and Meg Ryan. Both these ladies utilize their eyes and whole faces in delivering their comedic lines. As for the very likeable Matthew, the circles under his eyes and his drawn face made it hard for me to focus on his performance. His delivery was similar to his acting in `Friends', but in `Serving Sara' his appearance throughout the whole movie seemed subdued. Perhaps he lacked gusto due to the health crisis he was battling at the time of filming or maybe he was directed to be less `Chandler', and more streetwise and scrappy. As for the other two main co-stars, Vincent Pastore basically plays his character in `The Sopranos'; I couldn't detect any difference between his movie performance and television persona. Cedric `The Entertainer' caught my attention with his on-the-verge-of-a-heart-attack performance as the boss with a short temper and high blood pressure. However, his schtick ran out of steam rather quickly. I became unimpressed after his second remark about `that bitch' revealed a lack of original dialogue. Still, if you're a Matthew Perry fan, as I am, the movie isn't an entire waste. The actor's good nature shines through, even when his role calls for him to be something of a jaded character. I had a few chuckles at some of Matthew's more physical scenes and got to watch him for an hour and a half, so I left the theatre with a smile on my face.

why is everyone hating this so much???

Author: moviesfan11 (moviesfan11@yahoo.com) from DG, IL
11 December 2003

SERVING SARA(2002)*** Matthew Perry, Elizabeth Hurley, Cedric the Entertainer, and Bruce Cambell.

In this screwball comedy, a process server, Joe Tyler,(Perry) tries to serve divorce papers to Sara Moore(Hurley). But when he finally serves her, she makes him an offer. If he tears up the papers and serves Sara's husband(Cambell), she would give him 1 million dollars.

I have no idea why everyone is hating this movie such. It was good! I think it could have benn funnier, but it was still enjoyable, and sweet. I think Perry and Hurley have a lot of chemistry, and I would like to see them paired up together again. Stop being so cruel! jk

SERVING SARA-***/****

PG-13 language, and some crude/sexual humor.This wasn't as innapropriate as it looked in the previews. Like most of the bad stuff is in the preview.

"Serving Sara" is a comedy about a young man who is struggling in his career as he tries to determine and accomplish his goals.

Author: jones82 from Columbus, Ohio
20 March 2003

"Serving Sara" is a modern-day comedy movie about a man who gave up a successful career take a job that he enjoys. He becomes frustrated as he struggles to accomplish his daily job duties and he cannot figure out why. He learns (the hard way) that his coworker is not only jealous of him, but also competitive towards him.

The main male character is Joe who is played by Matthew Perry. Matthew Perry works for a private investigator as a process server and is hired to serve divorce papers to the main female character Sara, played by Elizabeth Hurley. Matthew Perry has goals and struggles to stay on track to accomplish his goals. Once he serves Elizabeth Hurley her divorce papers, she convinces Matthew Perry to work with her to save her share of her fortune.

This movie is very similar to another movie starring Matthew Perry titled "Fools Rush In", 1996, also starring Selma Hayek. The movie is about a man whose struggles to be successful at any cost and slowly learns what is important to him. He struggles to reach his true goals, as Matthew does in "Serving Sara". Like "Fools Rush In", "Serving Sara" is light humor with little or no real point to the movie. In both movies Matthew Perry plays a funny guy who works along side of beautiful women, and in the end is able to accomplish his goals.

Perry makes this film worthwhile!

Author: the amorphousmachine from Australia
11 April 2004

Reginald Hudlin, director of films such as 'House Party' (1990), 'Boomerang' (1992) and 'The Ladie's Man (2000), adds another comedy vehicle to his resume in 'Serving Sara'. However, this is a film that is reliant on the talents of Matthew Perry, and for the most part, it is he who saves this film playing yet another version of Chandler Bing from "Friends". Perry plays Joe Tyler, a process server down on his serving luck thanks to being undermined by his main competition in Tony (Vincent Pastore). Tyler is given one last important job; he must serve divorce papers to Sara Moore (Elizabeth Hurley) from Texas millionaire, Gordon Moore (Bruce Campbell). Serving Sara Moore seems like a harder task than possible, and when Joe does, she offers him a better deal where the stakes are higher and Joe can finally get out of the business once and for all.

This is a fun movie, especially if your expectations were reasonably low to begin with. If you are a fan of "Friends", then it's hard not to like Matthew Perry in this movie. Joe Tyler just seems to be another rougher variation of Chandler Bing. Elizabeth Hurley doesn't add much, but the chemistry between her and Perry seem to work okay. Vincent Pastore is quite funny as Joe's rival in Tony and he managed to give me a couple of chuckles. Cedric the Entertainer just doesn't entertain in this movie at all, and his scenes are especially annoying, and Bruce Campbell does okay as the Texan millionaire. I thought some of the scenes would really bring this film down a notch, but it was handled okay, and wasn't overly groaning or bad. The scene involving a bull was mildly amusing rather than completely excruciating as the critics would have you believe- particularly because Perry made the scene work! I've seen more cringe-worthy efforts in other comedies, and not once did I feel embarrassed for Perry and co, even when Perry was doing a really bad accent.

Saying that, the film still isn't that great and is pure fluff and so light that it doesn't really offer that much in the way of laughs or in it's story. Perry is just likable in this movie and handles the material well, but one wonders if he can ever separate himself from the style of Chandler Bing, where sarcastic one-liners and self-depreciating humour seems to be the key. The direction isn't that great, and the main problem with this movie is that in many scenes, you could feel the script's presence rather than have cohesive flowing dialogue. Some scenes felt a little unnatural particularly when the character would say something to himself after the scene is over. It felt a little obviously scripted in that respect! However, I had fun watching this movie although I wouldn't bother with it twice. It's a pure no-brainer, and quite likable. Don't take this movie too seriously, and you might enjoy it for the dumb comedy that it is- a non-memorable time-filler and certainly not Perry's best film, yet somehow, he holds this one together!

*** out of *****!