IMDb > .45 (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 7 of 8: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]

Very good!

Author: thclub from United States
15 June 2007

Well,I have to say,it's a very good movie. Milla Jovovich's acting is excellent. Angus MacFadyen was good,too. :) The Aisha Tyler+Milla Jovovich scene is so hot,and the flat scene is absolutely unforgettable. Gary Lennon is very talented! It's his first serious movie,and it rocks! The plot isn't difficult. It's a story about a woman,who wants to revenge,because his boyfriend is a crazy idiot. You must see it,you won't be disappointed. It looks like a Pulp Fiction and Kill Bill movie-mix. But! Sometimes I was bored. Although,the pub scene is an important point in the film,I felt asleep. Sorry. :-) I was tired. I want to give 9points out of 10.

Mr. Lennon is a sizzling writer and director!.

Author: connie-55 from United States
11 May 2007

This film took me into a universe that is foreign to me and I was mesmerized. Horrified that these people were hurtling toward a collision of major spins and turns and angst. What a cruel life experience. Mr. Lennon is a sizzling writer and director. Conducting and combining so many disparate characters and stories was a major accomplishment. The story had a personal feel from the storyteller. That anyone survived it to tell the story is amazing. I was surprised and enthralled and exhausted. I especially responded to the character women in the film, who so often get short shrift. The story is brutal, visceral and disturbing and insightful. I wish Gary Lennon all the best. Connie Cooper

Great Film!

Author: Warrensongs217 from United States
29 January 2007

This film has it all! Well written,directed & acted. Milla has never been better. She's backed up by a fine cast as well. Gripping,gritty,suspenseful & hilarious moments. I loved this film! Gary Lennon is one i would watch for in the future. I follow writer/directors. His previous writing in 'Drunks' was also excellent. I highly recommend you rent that film. When i read he wrote & directed '.45', i just had to see it.Lennon reminds me of a young current Schlesinger,Lumet,Friedkin;yet completely original.When it comes to DVD i'll place it on my shelf next to 'Midnight Cowboy',Serpico','The French Connection'.'.45' is an edgy brilliant piece of work with a message. Don't miss it.

A polarizing movie

Author: Tony43 from Los Angeles
1 May 2008

This appears to be one of those, you love it or hate it, films. Little room for those taking the middle path here. On the surface, you could say it is just one more Hollywood revenge movie, and as such, a manipulative piece of work that spends most of its screen time setting up the villain for the pay off at the end. And of course, there is the heavy use of sexually explicit scenes and language which seem to offend many people, even more than the brutality and violence.

On the other hand, the whole thing makes perfect sense as a depiction of the criminal class and of a smart, but lazy young woman who gets caught up in that world, in part because she likes the cheap thrills it offers her.

And then it turns pretty convincingly into a story of brutal domestic violence and how the girl sets out to defend herself, using the tools she has at her disposal, namely her own sexuality.

It is a shocking film, though, not for the faint hearted and I have to admit the big scene of domestic violence was almost too much to take.

------------------- spoiler alert ------------------

Some question the final pay back and why it happened the way it did. Why didn't Kat just have Big Al whacked? The answer for me is that he had to be alive so he could realize she was paying him back. She needed to do it that way to get her self respect back.

Although in places its hard to watch, this is a brilliant movie with very strong performances, but none stronger than Milla Jovovich's. She is simply a remarkable actress willing to take enormous risks. I did not discover her myself until "Ultraviolent" which I loved, in large part due to the absolute conviction she was able to bring to the role of a comic book super hero. She did just as well with her role as a small time, street hustler's girlfriend in .45. See it!

Testing your love of Milla

Author: socrates99 from Champaign, IL
19 April 2008

Can't recommend this film even if it includes a flash of Milla nudity. It's too over-the-top, even for me. Milla's believable as everyone's sexual preference, no matter what their gender, but that sort of scenario is not that interesting if you're not in your twenties or thirties. I particularly disliked the fact that the tease is that there may be some wildly uninhibited gunplay in this film, while the truth is there's barely two gunshots in the entire film. Instead you get a lot of animal goings-on revolving around Big Al (and they mean his genitals) and Kat who have a classic love-hate relationship built around their lust. Angus Macfadyen as Big Al is even more convincing than Milla and this guy clearly enjoys himself no end. There's something worth talking about in all this, but this is a dying, if not already dead, breed.

Superb acting within intense themes

Author: jonas-sansone from United States
13 March 2007

I think the acting in this film is superb. I feel it really speaks well of Gary Lennon as a writer and director. Yes, this movie deals with some intense themes, but they are handled with sensitivity and does not exploit them. Gary must have created a very safe set environment where all the actors felt free to explore an open up to the shocking things happening to their characters. Angus is a beast and dominated the screen whenever he was on. He was the "bad guy" that you really enjoy to hate... which only makes Mila's revenge so much more sweet. Sara Strange, who I only know from TV, was amazing in her supporting role as the morally conflicted best friend/almost lover. I definitely suggest seeing this film.

Gritty, compelling, and sexy!!

Author: from United States
21 December 2006

If you are in the mood for some really great dialogue, edgy characters and black comedy, this is the movie to see! Milla Jovovich gives an incredible performance as an abused girlfriend seeking revenge. Hits home about the psychological effects of domestic abuse. I saw a screening of this and hope it gets released in the US soon. Supporting performances are fantastic as well. Stephen Dorf and Sarah Strange are hilarious as a a sparring pair. Angus McFadden is creepy and the kind of unattractive bully who always seems to et the girl. Milla is riveting in the beating scene thought it feels so real it can be hard to watch. But that's the point I guess. Reality is not always pretty. And can be very complex. Definitely memorable and funny! See it.

I don't see the appeal

Author: darthball-1 from United States
14 April 2007

This movie was terrible.

It was almost unwatchable, we thought about turning it off several times

I mean do I really want to see this girl who appeared to be happy and self confident be brought to such a humiliating low in the movie?

I also do not think it was marketed properly, what the advertising suggested of an action type movie was not true. It was more of a self help movie type, as Clean and sober was to alcoholics and drug addicts

By the end of the movie I can honestly say that not one character in this film was redeemable or likable at all.

The only thing good I can say about this movie is that for straight men and gay women there may be a few scenes that would appeal to them sexually.

A Real Triumph: Great Movie, Great Cast, Great Director.

Author: Tex_DDJ from Boston, US
7 March 2007

I wasn't too familiar with the previous work of Gary Lennon but after watching this film, he is definitely somebody who I will want to keep an eye out for. I watched .45 at a screening and immediately fell in love with its complex characters, darkness, and a hyper-realism, which is reminiscent of all the great 1970's movies.

The cast is comprised of Milla Jovovich, Angus Macfadyen, Stephen Dorff, Aisha Tyler and Sarah Strange. It is fantastic and works as a well-oiled machine. Their performances and feelings are never glorified and despite all characters having attributes, which are very easy to hate, you never quite can, because they are human.

It is that complexity which I really admired. I recently heard a great quote "The sign of a master director is that he makes you believe" if that is indeed the case, then Gary Lennon has accomplished what not a lot of directors can. He gave me a glimpse into a world of tension without ever glorifying it; he gave me an insight to a very harsh reality. I highly recommend this movie.

Raw and Real...

Author: crossi1061 from USA
3 February 2007

Gritty, dark and accomplished, Lennon's .45 feels like anything but a first film. Exploring familiar territory of a dysfunctional relationship, Lennon goes the extra mile by showing in excruciating detail the exacting cost of abuse on one woman's psyche. A fast-paced script keeps this tale of revenge and redemption moving through roller coaster story twists. The film-making is top notch, reminding one of an unholy cross between Cassavetes and Gasper Noe. Milla Jovovitch forsakes glamour to give a gusty, balls-out, emotionally naked performance that lingers long after the movie ends. Great supporting work by Stephen Dorf and Susan Strange. Beautifully lensed, with relentless, probing camera work by Teodoro Maniaci.

Page 7 of 8: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]