IMDb > .45 (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
.45

.45 More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 8: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]

This is just one of those movies

Author: djvalis from United States
27 October 2007

... that'll seem too harsh for some, but be like a bright light for others. It definitely takes it over the edge, way way over, gripping tight our disbelief as it shakes our minds. Get ready for Taxi Driver meets Leaving Las Vegas - (on steroids and crack.) But to even say that, categorizing it, is a mistake. Because this is probably one of the most incredibly acted films (and by that i mean directed) films of all time. From start to finish, a creation of simplistic and masterfully original re-interpretations of the aggressive boyfriend beating on the beautiful girl who can't leave him.... nothing generic here. Just new doorways of havoc, destruction and circumstance that absolve all life and hope which accompany the life of Milla J. Violence and life so real that it kinda slaps you across the face halfway through the movie. Milla Jovovich, congratulations to you. I didn't think that from the thousands of hours of film I've seen, that this would be the most profoundly believable role of desperation I'd ever see on film by a woman... Best female performance of all time? Gary Lennon comes through in both style . Angus M's ferocious intensity not only incredible, but a real example of what acting is. Minimalism, even at its most perfect, can still be mistaken for folly by folly. If you don't think this movie is incredible, then you know nothing at all about film.

A gritty, disturbing depiction of small-time criminals in NYC

Author: lizabeth-8 from Los Angeles, CA
19 April 2007

Gary Lennon's .45 is brilliantly directed. The acting is fearless. The characters are unlikable, as I suspect Lennon intended. They have few redeeming qualities and are only concerned with their own survival. Milla Jovovich gives an outstanding performance, and I credit Lennon with his superb directing skills. The gut-wrenching, violent scene between Milla and Angus MacFadyen is so realistically portrayed I almost couldn't bear to watch it. I have seen this film three times and continue to find new and interesting things to ponder. I am somewhat baffled by Aisha Tyler's abrupt change of character, but chalk it up to the inherent selfishness of all of these characters. the Stephen Dorff character gives us, the audience, a slim hope that some good may come of someone trapped in this hellish life.

A movie that grabs hold...but unfortunately lets go near the end.

Author: Levi from United States
29 February 2012

The movie is great. I love it. Thanks to the deep script-writing, the world in the film is gritty and surreal.

First off, .45 starts off extremely strong. Viewers should first know that the movie's clear theme is sex. Can't go ten minutes without a scene involving some form of love. While this doesn't bother me, it may bother others.

Milla Jovovich excellently plays the woman Kat, a beautiful if-abused woman who is the girlfriend of arms dealer "Al."

As Kat and Al's relationship gets worse over her selling weapons, the movie also decides to take a dive.

Not only is it never explained how she was able to manipulate all of her friends, but she has a quick attitude change halfway through the movie. She goes from being a soft woman scared of the real word to a hard-ass b&%#$ who isn't scared of anybody. The change isn't subtle; one scene she's scared, the next she's facing down Al in a courtroom.

The movie becomes quite confusing here. Not only does the movie ditch some of the strongest characters (Kat's friend and Reilly) but it also leaves a giant cliffhanger. The movie is supposedly about getting revenge on Al, but there's never really any of that.

I would blame all of this on the script. It goes from great to "meh" in about 5 minutes flat, actually. Like I said, starts off strong...falters and dies at the end like an old car engine.

I would recommend this movie to anyone who enjoys Milla Jovovich's acting like I certainly do. Otherwise, stray away from this movie,

If Violence Be The Food Of Love, Slay On.

Author: Robert J. Maxwell (rmax304823@yahoo.com) from Deming, New Mexico, USA
12 September 2011

Not to be confused with "Ms .45," an earlier incarnation of Woman Power. The current example is more subtle than the earlier, which was directed by Abel Ferrara and has become something of a cult favorite. In Ferrara's film, a young woman is gang banged, acquires a .45 pistol, and walks around killing men. You know, "All men are brutes"? That's an arguable proposition and I won't pursue it further. In this one, a young woman (Jovovich) is savaged, humiliated, beaten, almost killed by the man she lives with -- "Big Al." (He's called Big for a reason. Size matters.)

But Jovovich loves the gun-dealing Big Al and, despite the entreaties of three others who are in love with her (two of them, women), she can't bring herself to leave him. Also she's terrified of him. The only way she can be free of him is by removing him from her life. She does so, and in the process becomes as selfish, treacherous and exploitative as Al was. In other words, "All people are brutes." The use of interviews in inserts is a terrible crutch except for some of the embedded jokes.

It was shot in Toronto-for-New York but I don't care what anybody says. Toronto does not look much like New York City. Its slums are cleaner. And safer. Once, visiting Toronto from New York, I spotted a crowd gathering and ran over to see the dead body. It was two old men playing chess. "Surprise" isn't the word for it. The budget must not have allowed much in the way of star power because Jovovich is the only name and face you'll recognize. Some of the others have Canadian accents.

Of the few films I've seen her in, this is Milla Jovovich's best performance as a love-starved, pansexual slut. She has a hoarse voice that cracks and squeals at unexpected moments and is much better suited to shouting the F bomb than to making the pronouncements of Joan of Arc. She's stunningly beautiful, of course, in a modelesque way, with her refulgent pale blue eyes and remarkable figure. The camera is generous enough to give us a quick Cook's tour of that body, including the breasts, certain features of which, for some reason, reminded me of Farber's yellow wooden pencils they handed out in the fifth grade the ones with the long pink rubber erasers on the end. Spasibo, moia drug. More daringly, we see Jovovich in her disfigured state, post beating, sans glamorous make up. It only proves that without make up, none of us looks quite as rapturously gorgeous.

Award for best performance goes to -- envelope please -- thank you -- Sarah Strange as the bisexual young lady who is in love with Jovovich. The plot lets the character down. Inexplicably, she changes from lesbian to, well, amenable to heterosexual intercourse in the blink of an eye, with only the murkiest of motives. Second prize goes to Steven Dorff as Reilly, who follows Strange around like a pet poodle despite her contempt for him. Big Al deserves to rot in the slams. Not only is his character repulsive but Angus MacFadyen doesn't do testosterone-ridden, New York drunks too well. Wow, is the part overplayed.

The writing has some hidden gems, if you listen closely enough. "There was a period in her life when every guy she hooked up with changed his name to 'Plaintiff' in the first three weeks." Okay, it's not Raymond Chandler but what can you expect? There were some others that had me laughing, though I can't remember them now because I wasn't taking notes. If somebody starts paying me for these reviews, I'll be happy to document every claim I make. (Hint.)

You know, for a cheap, sensationalistic, depressing, unambitious piece of utter garbage -- this isn't as bad as it might be. A split-second of Jovovich's frontal nudity half-way redeems it. Good work, I say.

Is Better! Much Better!!

Author: aimless-46 from Kentucky
20 November 2011

A few years back a staple of "The Amanda Show" was a routine about an Eastern European immigrant family who ran a video store. Instead of buying a copy of the actual mainstream movie, the family would produce a makeshift version with their camcorder, complete with broken English and really horrible acting. When customers complained about the rental, the family members would say: "Is better! Much better"!

The straight-to-video film ".45" (2007) is a worthy successor to these home movie sequences. Perhaps the closest thing you will find to a constant 97-minute mockfest moment, so bad that you can't believe that any professional actor was associated with it. Indeed much of the unintended humor stems from how obviously close-to-laughter Angus MacFadden and Milla Jovovich are as they desperately struggle to keep straight faces while dealing with the silly dialogue and acting for the camera direction of writer/director Gary Lennon. The editing must have been like scotch taping together everything that didn't qualify for the blooper reel, the only 97 minutes of shooting where the cast was not cracking up with giggles and laughter.

In the tradition of most recent ill-advised attempts at cinema, the director inflicts a pretentious commentary on anyone masochistic enough to select the commentary option on the DVD menu. In this the delusional Lennon appears to sincerely believe that he has made a cutting edge film. Lennon is not perceptive enough to realize that characterization does not come from hokey monologues or that voiceovers work best for characterization if they subtly contradict the events on the screen.

Unfortunately, even if you are able to suspend disbelief enough to self-knowingly go with this thing (a well-practiced skill for anyone who watches student films); it never engages, there is simply no flow, fun, suspense, or surprises in this grim and overwrought melodrama. There are plot twists, but unless you have dozed off you will see them coming from a mile away, and Lennon or his editor appear to have forgotten to include a climax.

The DVD cover says that: "Kat (Milla Jovovich) is a bad girl with a passion for guns and danger. Stuck in a life of crime and controlled by her ruthless boyfriend "Big Al" (Macfadyen). When Kat starts making her own deals....tensions rise and jealousy explodes into a violent rage (i.e. Milla gets savagely beaten up). Kat knows that revenge is the only answer....she will stop at nothing to take down Big Al once and for all".

The movie might have worked if released as a parody of a gritty film noir quirky crime drama. It has a lot of "Plan Nine" qualities and if you watch it from that perspective it is a great example of the "so bad it is almost good" phenomenon (hence two stars instead of one).

Finally, it appears that Lennon has recruited an assortment of drones and subordinates to post favorable comments here, click on the names and you will discover that this was the only film they have ever reviewed.

Then again, what do I know? I'm only a child.

Not nearly as bad as it's rating.

Author: ColonelFaulkner
2 April 2010

Grabbed this one out of the bargain bin, with little expectation or idea about it, not having heard of it. I'll start by saying I was pleasantly surprised and even more surprised at the low rating of this film on here. Look, it isn't brilliant, there are some not so good, even bad bits, some corn and plenty of cheesy dialogue not to mention some funny parts, but there are also some very well done, even powerful scenes as well.

The film has three parts, the first being a character study of an urban white trash couple, both of whom I thought were fairly convincing, Jovovich looking the part, while 'Big Al' looking something like a fat, bloated uglier version of Russell Crowe plays a slovenly fat pig, small time crim and bully to perfection and seemed to have plenty of fun doing it.

After some earlier hijinks, the tone of the film changes, moving into a domestic violence expose with a psycho partner and this is where the film excels. The scenes of domestic violence are powerful and comparable to 'Once Were Warriors' in terms of the sensory assault and shock of the violence, intimidation, degradation and dehumanising treatment meted out and the acting of both leads and the dynamics of their relationship is highly believable. The prolonged and sustained assault that features alone makes this worth seeing for the impact on the viewer, but you couldn't call that bit entertaining.

Unfortunately, having taken a turn for the better and setting itself up as something more memorable, it then degenerates nearer the end in trying to be clever, perhaps overdoing the scheming, manipulation and surprises in Jovovich trying to escape the abusive relationship, little of which you couldn't see coming and much of what the film could have done without. In spite of that, I was impressed with it overall, especially not having had high expectations and it's a lot better than a 5.5, the subject matter perhaps putting some people off. It was certainly a worthwhile part for Jovovich contrary to what some people have suggested and she did herself no dis-service accepting this role.

I laughed, cringed and sat speechless through different parts of this film and enjoyed most of it. Oscar material this isn't, but it's worth checking out if you're not too squeamish or prudish. Definitely not one for children though.

Wow!!! Great flick!!!

Author: fugwatz5 (fugwatz5@yahoo.com) from United States
3 February 2010

I just found out this is from the same guy that wrote drunks!! That was an awesome movie!!!! I've always been a huge Mila Jovovich fan, so would that make me bias to say she did an awesome job???

This was totally gritty, raw and real... It was like an "east Coast" Charles Bukowski story. Its like turning the villains into the hero's, kinda a unique twist on the situation!!! Life in the fast lane, thats for damn sure!!

I would definitely recommend Drunks too!!!

.45 definitely comes highly recommended if you haven't seen it already... Why cant the rest of Hollywood write like this guy??? They could all learn something!!!

B as good as A

Author: kamalkicks from United States
28 January 2010

I grew up in NYC in the 70's and the 80's.

i've seen the city turn from a multicultural exciting if sometimes gritty and dangerous place to the rarefied millionaires- only- please Disneyland that it is today.

45 reminds me of the city i knew as a boy and the flawed, dangerous but fascinating people that inhabited it.

I have seen all these actors in other projects . they are all fine and well known for a good reason. i think they are better served and show me more sides of themselves in 45 than i have ever seen before.

great story telling.

reminds me of the great Cagney movies.

A gritty and visceral film

Author: swervefilm@aol.com from New York, USA
7 January 2008

This film terrified me. I have never seen such an accurate and real depiction of addiction and abuse and the sickening way extreme emotions erupt out of nowhere and completely take over. :45 is a bit like watching a train wreck. It's not exactly an enjoyable experience, but it is real and you can't take your eyes off it. The acting was excellent! Although I found the subject matter very disturbing, I applaud the director for finding a way to treat a difficult subject in a way that felt absolutely real. Nothing was watered down or glamorized in the traditional Hollywood ways. The film is gritty, humorous at times and just very well done!

a very usual but surprising movie

Author: p_samuels17 from United States
20 December 2007

I am going to admit this, but Kate was SO SUPERB to start and end .45 yet she is still very beautiful.

My guess was she wanted revenge, and I support her 100%, and trust me on this: No one can shoot a gun as good as Milla Jovovich can.

As for Al, he DOESN'T NEED HER ANYMORE!! A guy as good as John Preston or Reilly can have her. But it's true what they say: Men want her, women want to be her. Me? I want her.

Biggest thing about the movie though, with Al on her tail, she might need help, but who can she call on? I might not know who though, but I can think she needs help, MY help on this mission. NOBODY CAN DO REVENGE BETTER THAN MILLA JOVOVICH!!!

Overall, I gotta say she did VERY well, like for example, Peter Cullen did in the 1986 Transformers Animated Movie as Optimus Prime and in the 2007 Remake, and she was as beautiful as she did in 1997's The 5th Element.

To note, she reminds me of Susan Blu as RC in that same 1986 Transformers movie, just a smooth innocent woman who needs to fall in love all over again.

I saw this movie and it reminded me of 2 good movies:

1. The Transformers: The Movie(1986-Nelson Shin as the director) 2. Dr. NO(1962-directed by Terence Young and Sean Connery as 007)

Page 6 of 8: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]