IMDb > .45 (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 6 of 8: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]

Testing your love of Milla

Author: socrates99 from Champaign, IL
19 April 2008

Can't recommend this film even if it includes a flash of Milla nudity. It's too over-the-top, even for me. Milla's believable as everyone's sexual preference, no matter what their gender, but that sort of scenario is not that interesting if you're not in your twenties or thirties. I particularly disliked the fact that the tease is that there may be some wildly uninhibited gunplay in this film, while the truth is there's barely two gunshots in the entire film. Instead you get a lot of animal goings-on revolving around Big Al (and they mean his genitals) and Kat who have a classic love-hate relationship built around their lust. Angus Macfadyen as Big Al is even more convincing than Milla and this guy clearly enjoys himself no end. There's something worth talking about in all this, but this is a dying, if not already dead, breed.

Shockingly good film

Author: rhladik from United States
12 December 2007

It was late one night when this came on cable and I thought it would be one of those moves to fall a sleep to. I was riveted and even found myself pausing it when i got up to use the bathroom. The casting was perfect. I wasn't familiar with Milla Jovovich but she was absolutely fantastic. There is a part in the film where Big Al is chasing her around their crappy little apartment and she cowers in the doorway and at that moment i actually felt her fear and helplessness. Nothing about the film was predictable. I enjoyed all the characters and was interested in the depth of each one. I am surprised that this movie didn't do better in theaters and even more surprised i haven't heard anything about it. Of all the times i have sat down and wished i had the last 90 mins of my life back, this is definitely not one of them and i recommend this movie to anyone.

See this movie

Author: annahall1 from United States
6 September 2007

What a brave indie film!

Amazing and moving performances, crackling dialogue and a hard hitting story that will not disappoint. Milla Jovovich really impressed me - I never knew she was such a good actor. This film really gave her something to work with and clearly, it paid off. You don't see films like this very often any more - why is that? The writing in this movie is really so good - in the tradition of Ken Loach's movies, or Gary Oldman's Nil By Mouth. So glad I pulled this off the shelf at the video store - and I'm wondering why I never saw it in the theater? I will certainly check out anything I see by director Gary Lennon in future.

Bravo! More director from Mr. Lennon, please?

New actors & actresses make this movie worthwhile

Author: kcarr97 from United States
16 December 2007

Because of my age, I did not find "showing the underbelly of New York" as something new. The "underbelly", meaning criminal underworld of New York, is nothing new and nothing shocking to someone like myself. It's shown in films as far back as the 30's and doesn't only occur in NYC. On the other hand, I can understand for a naive young person, especially one who has no understanding of the way human beings treat each other in real life, might have a learning experience through this movie, so I'm not going to knock it. For me, however, I am tired of these "criminal NYC" films and would prefer to watch more upbeat movies that show New York City in a more refreshing & favorable light.. . . . Next issue: Anyone who truly believes the character of Cat is that of a stylish, sophisticated and smart woman is deluding themselves and not facing reality. This is a woman who lived with a vicious, racist, robber and thief. She herself was helping him with his work by selling the stolen items. Furthermore, she called him names using the most foulest words (as he did) and sexually abused him as much as he did her. She also slapped him around him around too. After all of this, she has the audacity to take the advice of her friend and her social worker, which was this: Be manipulative and use your feminine ways of controlling men (no worse than a man using masculine ways to control women) to get revenge on your deviant boyfriend (using your own deviance). Now there's an intelligent way to resolve a domestic abuse problem. Get revenge because revenge will solve the problem. Wrong, wrong, wrong. . . . And finally and the only reason I can rate this movie on a high scale. The actors and actresses themselves. It is so nice to see people who are new on the scene (for me, I had never heard of most of them). New actors and new actresses. It's a good thing and it is highly commendable for any director and production company to make use of and help to develop new actors and actresses in the world of film. As much as we appreciate our old-time actors and actresses, and I do, we also love to see new people on the scene. Lots of these young people have studied acting for years. They're new (to me), enthusiastic and refreshing. You can't help but be happy for them and feel appreciation for what they are doing (even if we have heard it all before - the redundant sex, the redundant violence and the redundant crime). In this movie, however, fresh faces made all the difference in the world for us older folks. And for young people perhaps, these issues are more relevant, than redundant. I guess you can never warn people too many times about the dangers of the world.

This is just one of those movies

Author: djvalis from United States
27 October 2007

... that'll seem too harsh for some, but be like a bright light for others. It definitely takes it over the edge, way way over, gripping tight our disbelief as it shakes our minds. Get ready for Taxi Driver meets Leaving Las Vegas - (on steroids and crack.) But to even say that, categorizing it, is a mistake. Because this is probably one of the most incredibly acted films (and by that i mean directed) films of all time. From start to finish, a creation of simplistic and masterfully original re-interpretations of the aggressive boyfriend beating on the beautiful girl who can't leave him.... nothing generic here. Just new doorways of havoc, destruction and circumstance that absolve all life and hope which accompany the life of Milla J. Violence and life so real that it kinda slaps you across the face halfway through the movie. Milla Jovovich, congratulations to you. I didn't think that from the thousands of hours of film I've seen, that this would be the most profoundly believable role of desperation I'd ever see on film by a woman... Best female performance of all time? Gary Lennon comes through in both style . Angus M's ferocious intensity not only incredible, but a real example of what acting is. Minimalism, even at its most perfect, can still be mistaken for folly by folly. If you don't think this movie is incredible, then you know nothing at all about film.

A gritty, disturbing depiction of small-time criminals in NYC

Author: lizabeth-8 from Los Angeles, CA
19 April 2007

Gary Lennon's .45 is brilliantly directed. The acting is fearless. The characters are unlikable, as I suspect Lennon intended. They have few redeeming qualities and are only concerned with their own survival. Milla Jovovich gives an outstanding performance, and I credit Lennon with his superb directing skills. The gut-wrenching, violent scene between Milla and Angus MacFadyen is so realistically portrayed I almost couldn't bear to watch it. I have seen this film three times and continue to find new and interesting things to ponder. I am somewhat baffled by Aisha Tyler's abrupt change of character, but chalk it up to the inherent selfishness of all of these characters. the Stephen Dorff character gives us, the audience, a slim hope that some good may come of someone trapped in this hellish life.

Not nearly as bad as it's rating.

Author: ColonelFaulkner
2 April 2010

Grabbed this one out of the bargain bin, with little expectation or idea about it, not having heard of it. I'll start by saying I was pleasantly surprised and even more surprised at the low rating of this film on here. Look, it isn't brilliant, there are some not so good, even bad bits, some corn and plenty of cheesy dialogue not to mention some funny parts, but there are also some very well done, even powerful scenes as well.

The film has three parts, the first being a character study of an urban white trash couple, both of whom I thought were fairly convincing, Jovovich looking the part, while 'Big Al' looking something like a fat, bloated uglier version of Russell Crowe plays a slovenly fat pig, small time crim and bully to perfection and seemed to have plenty of fun doing it.

After some earlier hijinks, the tone of the film changes, moving into a domestic violence expose with a psycho partner and this is where the film excels. The scenes of domestic violence are powerful and comparable to 'Once Were Warriors' in terms of the sensory assault and shock of the violence, intimidation, degradation and dehumanising treatment meted out and the acting of both leads and the dynamics of their relationship is highly believable. The prolonged and sustained assault that features alone makes this worth seeing for the impact on the viewer, but you couldn't call that bit entertaining.

Unfortunately, having taken a turn for the better and setting itself up as something more memorable, it then degenerates nearer the end in trying to be clever, perhaps overdoing the scheming, manipulation and surprises in Jovovich trying to escape the abusive relationship, little of which you couldn't see coming and much of what the film could have done without. In spite of that, I was impressed with it overall, especially not having had high expectations and it's a lot better than a 5.5, the subject matter perhaps putting some people off. It was certainly a worthwhile part for Jovovich contrary to what some people have suggested and she did herself no dis-service accepting this role.

I laughed, cringed and sat speechless through different parts of this film and enjoyed most of it. Oscar material this isn't, but it's worth checking out if you're not too squeamish or prudish. Definitely not one for children though.

Wow!!! Great flick!!!

Author: fugwatz5 (fugwatz5@yahoo.com) from United States
3 February 2010

I just found out this is from the same guy that wrote drunks!! That was an awesome movie!!!! I've always been a huge Mila Jovovich fan, so would that make me bias to say she did an awesome job???

This was totally gritty, raw and real... It was like an "east Coast" Charles Bukowski story. Its like turning the villains into the hero's, kinda a unique twist on the situation!!! Life in the fast lane, thats for damn sure!!

I would definitely recommend Drunks too!!!

.45 definitely comes highly recommended if you haven't seen it already... Why cant the rest of Hollywood write like this guy??? They could all learn something!!!

B as good as A

Author: kamalkicks from United States
28 January 2010

I grew up in NYC in the 70's and the 80's.

i've seen the city turn from a multicultural exciting if sometimes gritty and dangerous place to the rarefied millionaires- only- please Disneyland that it is today.

45 reminds me of the city i knew as a boy and the flawed, dangerous but fascinating people that inhabited it.

I have seen all these actors in other projects . they are all fine and well known for a good reason. i think they are better served and show me more sides of themselves in 45 than i have ever seen before.

great story telling.

reminds me of the great Cagney movies.

A gritty and visceral film

Author: swervefilm@aol.com from New York, USA
7 January 2008

This film terrified me. I have never seen such an accurate and real depiction of addiction and abuse and the sickening way extreme emotions erupt out of nowhere and completely take over. :45 is a bit like watching a train wreck. It's not exactly an enjoyable experience, but it is real and you can't take your eyes off it. The acting was excellent! Although I found the subject matter very disturbing, I applaud the director for finding a way to treat a difficult subject in a way that felt absolutely real. Nothing was watered down or glamorized in the traditional Hollywood ways. The film is gritty, humorous at times and just very well done!

Page 6 of 8: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]