IMDb > .45 (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
.45

.45 More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 8: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]

You are the walking talking reason that we should all be lesbians.

Author: lastliberal from United States
10 November 2008

Picking out a great line in this film is very difficult. There were a lot of great lines in writer Gary Lennon's directorial debut. These are lines, of course, that you will not likely hear on his TV shows that he writes for.

Besides the lines, you had Milla Jovovich. I don't gravitate towards the tall skinny ones with the itty bitties, but she is hot, and she did a good job as a battered girlfriend. She was incredibly believable after the last incident, and as someone who was definitely in fear for her life.

Lennon's story has her finding a way out of her predicament that was sweet and sneaky. Using her hips, lips, and tits, she conned several people into soling her problem; including Sarah Strange ("Da Vinci's Inquest"), who played a bisexual (mostly lesbian) BFF to Milla that wanted much more, and Aisha Tyler (Charlie from "Friends," and the only reason I ever watched "The Ghost Whisperer"), She was a former battered wife that was now a counselor, and she was also very believable in the role.

Stephen Dorff (Blade) was also good, and I wish him luck in his quest for the impossible dream.

Milla Rocks!

Author: karpa-2 from LA/NYC
9 August 2007

Milla Jovovich gives the performance of here career in this dark and funny indy. It's all about girl power and revenge and desperate characters in Hell's Kitchen.

Milla is stuck in HK with her gangsta boyfriend who runs the 'hood. All she wants is to move away from the hustle, bustle of the big city and have a nice little house a the beach. And she'll do anything (!) to get what she wants. And she does. Except it doesn't quite turn out the way she imagined.

Stephen Dorff also give a surprisingly good, funny performance too.

The director really knows how to go for the jugular. If you like Tarintino's films and black comedy and hot, naked girls with guns, you'll go for this dark and dirty little movie.

l o u s y i n e v e r y w a y --- h i d e o u s

Author: wwwbarnfinds from United States
11 April 2011

this is trash.

awful movie.

don't even bother.

bad at everything.

good at nothing.

it's a waste of my time to bother pointing it all out.

too bad my 'review' ends up on the bottom of the pile.

wish i could bump it up to number one in the list just to warn others away from .45.

facts be known, i feel so strongly about how AWFUL this crappy movie is, i went to the trouble to sign up here.

don't believe the others who praise it- probably just a lot of trolls anyway- put up to saying 'great' things about it in either self promotion or they were paid to do it.

this is a crappy movie--- just plain sucks. plastic characters, lousy acting, terrible plot (if there was one), wannabee director copying all the tired old tricks and banal lines trying to shock a viewer into submission. sad. terribly sad and distasteful.

mila hits bottom of barrel. all them others, probably wish they didn't quit their day jobs. lennon needs to go back to whatever thing he did before- this ain't working man. stupid, ridiculous, predictable, blocking in scenes that borders on criminally amateur, laughable and contrite.

at every turn, at every 'important' exchange, it falls on its knees and flounders around. a few witty quippy lines does not make a good script.

we've seen the worst he can do now- is there any hope? he'll have a career of making up for this turd, as will anyone else in it. shameful piece of crap that it is. only good thing to say it is a formidable Back Marker for the worst ever-- bad art is bad art and this is neither --- are there worse words to say. 'bad' seems so ineffectual in a way. and 'art' - don't even go there. pieces of feces on the wall is all.

and, this is me holding my tongue. what i'm thinking is enough to turn your screen afire. it's so bad, you can't even get nightmares from watching it through.

well, now that i think of it, .45 does excel in one area: proves that any jimmy joe with a camera can make a 'movie'. problem is, most of them (like this one) aren't worth watching!

Excellent 1st directorial debut!

Author: lcarr800 from United States
25 December 2007

Beginning to end this movie had my full attention. I loved the fact that the character was talking to me and giving the background not only in themselves but also one of the main characters Big Al (Angus Macfadyen). Big Al can be seen in anyone's eyes. Your best friend, teacher parent and enemy can have at any moment the tendency to be nice, helpful, loving and even back stabbing. Hanging around Al is like your typical love hate relationship. One day you are having a good time and the next you are at each others throat.

For example, Al and Kat (Milla Jovovich) at the beginning of the movie have the playful cat mouse relationship. But once Al gets a little too much alcohol in his system he turns into your worst annoying nightmare. Cursing, hitting, beating and even raping Kat. But truth be told, these type of acts are probably happening right now as I am typing this. Maybe even next door to you, maybe in your own home.

I am Mexican/African American and when Al called Jose (Vincent Laresa) a "Sp*c" I was ticked off. Hence now that I think about it, it was a wakeup call from a famous song telling me "They smile in your face. All the time they want to take your place. The backstabber. Backstabbers." Movies should offend you! We all need the wake up call. Whether it is good or bad, hopefully it will bring you back down to reality. Job well done and accomplished Mr. Lennon!

Multiply the name of this movie by two and the result will be 90 minutes of pure agony

Author: adi_2002 from Sfantu Gheorghe, Covasna, Romania
15 June 2014

Big Al is a crook who deals with the sale of stolen house items and guns. Many peoples in town knows him and admits that he's a dangerous person and they don't want to face him. He has a lover, a beautiful woman called Cat. As they walk in a bar for a drink, at the slightest sign when a man comes closer to his girlfriend, Al jumps to conclusions and believes that Cat cheats on him with that guy. As a result he insults and beat her. She is forced to seek help at her best friend Vic and she wants to move with her and leave Al. Also Reilly, a good friend of the couple jumps in her help. Now Cat must come up with a plan in order to get rig for good of her abusive boyfriend.

The whole movie is a about the torment of a girl. Many girls are situated in the same situation so there is not a necessary fact to make a movie based only by this idea. Milla is a very good actress and plays her part very well. That the only good aspect. Also it makes you wonder why she still wants to remain with him after all that suffer?

Definitely the type of film that is not for everyone.

If you can stand the smoke of the kitchen, you may find the flavour to your liking

Author: TBJCSKCNRRQTreviews from Earth
24 November 2010

Kat and Big Al run guns. Small-time, really, just the streets of New York. She would like it to get bigger, he's reluctant. Then one day, he beats her, in jealous rage. Not for the first time, but the worst yet. Her smarts, coolness and independence(she could easily run their "business" without him) fly right out the window, in spite of the advice of Vic(a lesbian who also comes onto her), Reilly(a dumb criminal who wants to get out that life… and wants to be with her) and Liz(the social worker assigned to her case). However, she's not done yet. And she can be crafty. Right as this opens, it's vulgar; the strong language(at times explicit) is constant, the plentiful sexuality is unrestrained(complete with a little nudity of both genders), and there is a bit of disturbing, brutal violence(aforementioned fight is shocking and effective, yet because of what follows, it is not gratuitous in its detail). This goes for an uncensored look at the environment and the people, and the grittiness, the uncompromising nature of this makes it all the better for those of us who aren't turned off to it. About halfway through(because this keeps to such a smooth pace, wasting no time), I suddenly realized that not a single one of these types were likable. And it didn't take me long to remember that the same goes for classics in the crime-drama genre; Goodfellas, Casino, and in general Scorsese's films. What makes these work is that the characters are credible, thoroughly established(swiftly, if need be) and in a story you're interested in... and all of those are the case here, as well. The acting is great for all involved. This is one of Milla's best performances(watch this if you like her; granted, she is perhaps a little over-the-top at times), and she is at her most seductive and cute here(no wonder everyone in this falls for her!). Macfadyen(granted, the explanation that he "went to Scotland as a kid and never lost the accent" is stupid), Dorff, Tyler, Strange... everyone is spot-on. The editing is tight, with a lot of hand-held, and several "talk to the camera" interviews by those in this(not only the leads). Dialog tends to be very natural. The humor can be forced once or twice; this may make still you laugh. Love and abuse are important themes in this. There is tension in this. The twists are unexpected, I didn't see the ending coming(what I will say is that I am ecstatic about it). The DVD comes with trailers. I recommend this to anyone who wants to delve into life on the streets. 7/10

Different stuff from Milla

Author: pmdawn
1 November 2008

I went into this movie thinking it would be another one of those predictable, but usually fun action movies in which Milla Jovovich kicks ass. She carved a nice niche for herself with "The Fifth Element", then with the "Resident Evil" series and even "Ultraviolet", all of which I hold dear in my heart - although I never watch them for the story, just for the action. So in my mind Milla was as much as an actress as Arnold Schwarzenegger for example.

".45" it's quite the opposite of what I've come to expect from her previous movies. Angus Macfadyen plays Big Al, a small-time sleazebag guns dealer who kinda owns the neighborhood, with the right tones of menacing and pathetic. Stephen Dorff and Sarah Strange both want to take Milla's Kat from Big Al, whose relationship is doomed from the very start.

There are interludes with the main characters' parents, trying to explain what happened to each of their kids, but only succeeding in showing the cycle of abuse, violence and disregard for each other in our so-called "normal" lives. Kat is a complex character, but Milla does a fantastic job here - I can now safely think of her as a serious actress. The movie has its twists and turns, and the action is not presented the way you might think it would.

There are indeed some flaws in the movie, but nothing that made me too curious.

Overall, a movie that manages to touch several subjects in a refreshing and novel way. Just don't expect your usual Jovovich kicking zombie ass.

A Good Find

Author: Van Boyd
27 September 2009

Solid. Dark. A cohesive vision that feels real. Looking forward to more from the writer/director.

The acting, from the leads on down, is superb, and the scenes of violence are justifiably hard to watch. Surprised I'd never heard of this film until recently given the recognizable cast. From a first-time director and likely low-budget but it's impossible to tell, the whole thing is professionally done.

Watching this you'll wonder why Mila is stuck in the Resident Evil series (other than the fact that her husband produces those, of course). The writer/director of .45 mentions in the commentary that Mila was perfect for the part because she's the type of girl a person would die for, and I think he's on to something. I still remember the first time I saw "The 5th Element," and I remember Mila sobbing and writhing in the back seat of Bruce Willis' flying cab, and I remember thinking I would do anything for her. ".45" is that for a whole movie. Enjoy.

Supershow: raw, rough, and real!

Author: rbrb
14 August 2009

This is a superb adult drama.

Every character in the movie is repulsive in their own way but hugely convincing and totally pivotal to the story. This is a intense drama about how a woman tormented by abuse seeks out her revenge.

The play rages with raw language, unpleasant action and rough sex; it is brutal, nasty and real.

All the actors give brilliant performances and the director and producers ought to be congratulated for giving us some reality.

Deserves very high marks:

9/10.

45 is a gem!

Author: Jim Halterman (jimhalterman@gmail.com) from United States
10 July 2009

This is one of those movies that may have passed you by when it was first released but it just goes to show that there are a lot of great movies out there that the big studios stupidly pass up. .45 has great characters, dialogue that will make you cringe and laugh and writer/director Gary Lennon obviously knows what he's doing with the script and the camera. He has some great shots in this and creates an intense mood that works with the script and takes you on a hell of a ride. Make sure to check out .45. Milla Jovovich will surprise you with not just her intensity but also her vulnerability. In fact, everyone is good in this film...and Lennon also gives New York City a great look. Can't wait for more from this gifted auteur!

Page 4 of 8: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]