IMDb > .45 (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

Excellent!

Author: fnordfred from United States
27 January 2007

Fantastic acting -- great plot twists. All the performances are outstanding, but Milla Jovanavich in particular should have been nominated for an Oscar. The fight in the apartment is unforgettable. This is a look at an underbelly of New York you don't often (if ever) see on screen. This is not a glamorized Hollywood look at crime. The characters seem disturbingly real, and the potential for violence to erupt at any moment keeps the movie feeling tense throughout. "Honest" might be the best word to describe the writing and the performances. Very raw and powerful. It will leave you thinking about it for a long time afterward. Highly recommended.

A Raw, Powerful and Masterfully Crafted Debut

Author: crazymc from United States
8 March 2007

Based on other user's comments, the raw emotion and grit present throughout this film might be too much for some, but for me it added an entirely new dimension to the story that really helped draw me into the harsh reality that these characters live in.

I was truly impressed with Milla's performance as "Kate" and I was pleasantly surprised to see her outside of a movie laden with kung-fu, guns and monsters and instead see her in a wonderfully directed and extremely well written film.

While I've only seen Angus Macfadyen on screen a handful of times, he completely blew me away as "Big Al". He plays one of the most powerful, controlling and abusive characters I've ever seen on screen, yet he's still very much human.

There's something about Gary Lennon's writing that really helps you understand these characters and the reality they live in, no matter how dysfunctional and messed up they may be.

Overall, .45 is an amazing debut for writer/director Gary Lennon, full of brilliant acting and an enthralling story. Highly recommended!

terrific and courageous performance by milla j.

Author: knezmihaila from United States
5 March 2007

really good dialogue from Gary Lennon, the writer of DRUNKS (a good, little movie with a terrific cast that you might have overlooked).

like his first film, this movie has a lot of strong $50 moments spread throughout and a a few moments of real inspiration.

fantastic realism is combined with a terrific and courageous performance by the lovely milla j (showing some acting chops... who would'a thought?).

however, for me, the best part is the humor. especially in the beginning (taking your defenses away)... and then the next thing you realize -- BAM -- this is really serious subject matter.

Photography looks nice for a film of small budget (assuming it's small).

Fine performances by the supporting cast including Angus M, the always solid Stephen Dorff, and the divine Aisha Tyler.

Daring and Unbounded

Author: petervj-1 from United States
21 September 2007

It's not often that you find a movie that's daring and not bounded to the "norm" of Hollywood. I was intrigued to see that the director let his audience become a part of the story as we watch these anti-heroes, like flies on a wall. Milla and Angus are such naturals that they fall into these rolls and you can see how much fun they are having with their intense characters. To see Milla go against her usual character type and have fun with a gritty, dirty, dare I say naive character (with a twist) extremely refreshing. She acted her heart out and I think she proved that she could do more of these kind of hard-core roles.

This rare find is something you don't see every day and I found the direction unguarded and simply profound. I don't know what this first time director is going to do next, but I'm going to definitely keep an eye out.

Great character development

Author: downsized99 from United States
7 May 2007

While I don't think this is anywhere near the best movie I have ever seen, I think that the character development in the roles played by Milla Jovovich, Angus MacFayden and Sarah Strange were outstanding. Without these performances, the movie would have been predictable and hum-drum. The ancillary commentaries from the two elderly women were also very humorous and added to the movie nicely. I have seen almost everything Milla Jovovich has done (shame on me), and besides "The Messenger", I would rate this as one of her better roles. In fairness, I must say that her role is only strong because of the development of the other main characters. Definitely worth the rental fee!

great underrated movie spoiled slightly by weak ending

Author: Stryde22 from Australia
4 August 2007

I had to travel all the way to Bali to find myself a copy of this movie. being a huge Milla Jovovich fan, i was determined to see her in another role that actually requires her ACTING ability (which, believe it or not, can be AMAZING in the right role) This movie fulfilled my wishes in that factor. Milla truly shows her raw acting ability almost flawlessly

this being said, the actual movie is not perfect. and it is definitely not for everyone. the dark and gritty realism in the movie is as intriguing as it is disturbing. the most respectable factor of the film is the way that it uses a believable plot and doesn't try to cross the line into an action movie.

The humour of the movie is dry and dirty, but very amusing. the documentary style monologues littered between key scenes give a fresh way to explore the characters. the speeches given by Kate and Als mothers are truly hilarious.

The relationship between Vic and Rielly is shown JUST the right amount to make it entertaining without being sappy or over-dramatic. they provide great sub scenes and silently hint the viewers with subliminal messages on sexuality and love

The key scene in the movie is clearly the abuse scene. at this point, Big Al drunkenly abuses Kate in their apartment. this scene is extremely disturbing and frightening. the acting is very powerful and realistic. for this scene alone i believe both actors deserve awards.

THE NEGATIVE

the last fifteen minutes were a steady descent downwards as far as plot was involved. at this point Kate begins seducing everyone and anyone in order to have Al framed for murder. this section of the movie seems to leave behind all the realistc plot events that were previously shown, especially when Aisha Taylors character gets involved with Milla.

in fact, despite being incredibly sexy throughout the film, Aisha's character seems to pul the movie increasingly downwards as she becomes less professional. i mean, in one sense her characters development was okay, because we saw that beneath the exterior of a strong and serious abuse victim there is still a thrill seeking and emotion driven woman. but on the other hand, her characters sudden lust for Kate and willingness to commit a crime seem unrealistic

the final twists that showed Kate caring "only for numbwer one" was a great outcome, although not brilliantly executed and far from moralistic. its also interesting to note that although the movie seems based around Kates abuse, it is quite obvious that she herself is abusing Al during most of the movie. you cant be sure how you feel about each character as they all experience different changes in the story.

I've kinda made this review all over the place XD but i think you might get the point. the movie was well developed, had great characters, great story, and Brilliant acting, but has a few flaws with its ending.

I loved this movie!

Author: asteele773 from los angeles
28 January 2007

Writer/Director Gary Lennon creates a gritty, almost surreal world, and captures visceral performances from a top-notch cast, including my favorite, Milla Jovavich (The Fifth Element). The writing is crisp, with a story that pushes forward like a freight train. Lennon, who I believe started as a playwright, has a great ear for dialog. The performances, enhanced by superb direction, seamless editing, and an exceptional score, shine as the best work these actors have done to date. Angus MacFadyen, so great in "Braveheart," plays an entirely different kind of bad guy here, and he manages to pull off both barbarism and oily charm. Jovavich is sexy, tough and vulnerable. I will definitely buy this movie and keep it in my DVD collection next to "Mean Streets" and "Laws of Gravity." Lennon is the rare director who can create a film so violent, and at the same time, poetic, thoughtful and beautiful. It's tough to watch, and impossible to look away.

Hips, Lips and Tits

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
3 November 2007

In a dangerous neighborhood in New York City, Kat (Mila Jovovich) and her brutal smalltime criminal boyfriend Big Al (Angus Macfadyen) sell pistols and revolvers on the streets and deal stolen goods. Kat is addicted in having sex with Al and dreams on moving to the beach and start a new life. When the jealous and abusive Al beats her, the social assistant Liz (Aisha Tyler), Kat's bisexual friend Vic (Sarah Strange) and her acquaintance Reilly (Stephen Dorff) that has a crush on her advise Kat to leave Al. However, Al threatens to destroy her face if she dares to leave him. The smart Kat uses her power of beautiful and sexy woman to manipulate her friends and get rid off Al.

".45" is an amoral and cynical tale of manipulation and use of sex to achieve an objective. The story uses elements of Ken Russell's "Whore", with the characters speaking to the camera like in a documentary. Mila Jovovich and Angus Macfadyen give magnificent performances in the role of amoral losers. I liked a lot this bold movie, but it is recommended for specific audiences. My vote is seven.

Title (Brazil): ".45 – A Vitória é a Vingança" (".45 – The Victory Is the Vengeance")

What a find!

Author: jonesfilm from LA
9 September 2007

I am a voracious viewer of DVD's. I stalk my video store for new releases, and I will rent just about anything regardless of hype, trend or word of mouth. When I saw Milla Jovovich sitting on the cover of the splashy DVD for the new release of .45 with a gun, I said I asked myself, "why not?" I searched out a few more "bad girl" titles to make the evening a theme, and once I got through the two other cookie cutter Hollywood Tarantino-esquire "grind-house" titles and finally popped in .45, I was pleasantly appalled and equally as surprised. Appalled by the fact that the dangerous behavior of the two main characters (Milla and Angus Mcfayden) was definitely performances that I wasn't used to seeing in mainstream American fare, but surprised that the filmmakers finally got what has been missing in film lately.

I cut my teeth on Scorsese, Casavettes and the unflinching cinema usually found in foreign films from the 70's and 80's. What the film ".45" does is reminds me that there are great ideas, writing and film-making in America, if only the corporations that run them give filmmakers a chance.

Sure .45 is vulgar, and at times hard to watch, but one of the most remarkable scenes in the film (the beating) shows that through performance and craftsmanship one can be truly horrified by brutality of a situation without actually seeing a person totally annihilated. Kudos to Milla Jovovich whose performances have been marginal for perhaps her entire career. Thank goodness the director saw something in her to give her the opportunity to play in a role that is at times transformative. The supporting cast is stellar, and seeing the woman who plays Milla's turkey kicking mother is well worth the price of the rental. It's strange to see this film in the video store and not released in an actual theater. Or perhaps I blinked… RENT THIS!

Stop Gary Lennon

Author: jake87 from Westfield, NJ
10 November 2007

... before he directs, or especially, writes again. This is one of the most poorly crafted movies since "Manos: Hands of Stone."

If it were true to its characters and had anything to say, it could be a sleazy slice of life, not to everyone's taste, but still a respectable effort. But Lennon doesn't have the chops to do that, and his leads compound his troubles.

Hairy Angus Macfayden does such a poor New York accent that the script actually has to explain he was taken to Scotland as a boy. That pathetic explanation comes in one of many faux documentary interviews interspersed through the show because Lennon has no idea of how to develop character through plot.

Milla Jovovich's so-called career continues to go down the, uh, drain. The only thing she brings to this part are her gigantic nipples, again exposed from time to time to underscore her lack of anything else.

But even if Milla could act, it's hard to get over terrible writing. This is a movie where a battered woman's counselor also winds up advising the perpetrator. And the counselor's advice to the victim is to use her lips, hits and tits _ it clearly didn't occur to Lennon to use a brain anywhere. And the supposedly clever revenge plot simply involves a montage of scenes of the scrawny Jovovich in various states of undress followed by one twist-you-can-see- coming-a-mile-away. As bonus, it also indicts her character and a seemingly decent character as more mindlessly violent and cruel losers.

As secondary characters, Stephen Dorff and Aisha Tyler seem like they're visiting form a better movie, but they'd have to write that one themselves.

In short, if you come upon a copy of this movie, burn it.

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]