IMDb > Paid in Full (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Paid in Full

Paid in Full More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 3: [Prev][1] [2] [3]

Glad I finally watched it..

Author: asianay from United States
29 April 2016

Paid in full is a movie about a good kid from the ghetto who is seduced into the local drug trade. In the beginning of the movie the main character Ace is seen as a quite kid from Harlem who works for a local tailor. Surrounded by the distribution, consumption, and glorification of drugs. Ace resists the temptation as he sees his friends become involved, but soon falls victim to his surroundings.

Personally I had no interests in watching this movie. But it seemed like EVERYONE had seen it. (so i finally sat down and watched it) Surprisingly I really liked it. I don't think anyone should follow the path presented in this movie but I do think it can teach lessons. Such as the easy road isn't always best, or not to trust the people around you. Over all its a movie everyone should watch at least once.

Very Good Movie

Author: youngcorbin from United States
29 September 2015

This movie is one of my favorite movies. I rated this movie a 10 because I can relate to it. Growing up in Baltimore City you see a lot of activity such as in this movie, and like Ace sometimes you might be tempted to join the negative influences in your surroundings. Ace had a good job, making legal money, working at the cleaners. He always watched the drug dealers with the nice cars, designer clothes, all the girls, and lots of money. One side of him wanted to get money the legal way and work hard for it, although the other side of him wanted to live the lifestyle they lived. Ace wasn't making much at the cleaners, he was making just enough to get buy. While his friend Mitch was the top drug dealer in Harlem. One day all of that changed when Ace found drugs in the pocket of one of the customer's pants at the cleaners. He thought he was doing the right thing which was returning it to the rightful owner. The owner thought he was crazy for returning and insisted that he keep the drugs. Ever since then Ace became the top drug dealer in Harlem, although he had more money than working at the cleaners, he began to have more problems also. This is a great movie to watch. It's relatable and based on a real story which makes it all the more interesting.

Don't Be Fooled - Not Just Another Gangster Movie

Author: Fair Reviews from United States
13 January 2015

This is not just another gangster movie. It is a gangster movie, but it's definitely not in the spirit of the slew of gangster movies that started getting produced with various rappers and by-the-numbers scripts.

There are at least two versions. I think the version to watch is the "Uncut" version if you can find it. Whichever one it was, there is a difference. One is definitely better than the other.

This is a REAL movie that is very, very good irrespective of the genre. There aren't really any bad performances. Esai Morales gives a great if not perfect supporting performance. But it's Cam'ron who steals the show. This is his movie. He delivers the equivalent of a Hannibal Lecter performance in a gangster role. He should have been nominated for an Oscar and probably should have also won. Again though, everyone else puts in an amazingly good performance.

This movie surprised me. I was not expecting it to be nearly this good in terms of quality or entertainment. I don't think you'll ever see a movie quite like this again.

"Money is the root to all evil" (Based on a True story)

Author: JTheproducer23 . from Millersville University
28 October 2014

Based on a true store of Azie "AZ" Fasion, Alpo and Rich Porter are urban legends in New York. These teenagers ran the most sophisticated drug ring on the East Coast in the 1980's. They were major players in the New York drug trade. 2002 film "Paid in Full" Azie Fasion wrote a story based on the lives of his crew and "Roc-A-Fella Films licensed the story and brought it to the big screens where notable actors Mekhi Phifer and Wood Harris would portray the lifestyle theses teenagers were lavishly living until tables turned and one is betrayed by his own and would lead to the fall of the Harlem kingpins. "Paid in Full" released in October of 2002, a drama action film directed Charles Stone III. An R rated Film for its content of violence, pervasive language, some strong sexuality and drug content. Some of the production Companies that contributed to this film was Dimension Films, Loud Films, and Rat Entertainment. On Opening Weekend This film was shown on 268 screens across the USA and generated over a Million dollars. Filming was shot in Harlem. Main character Wood Harris acts as narrator in this film. The Directors uses various techniques of Flash- forwards and flashbacks in this film so the viewer can make a connection between the characters in the story and how they transform. Director incorporating some great cinematography in this film which lead to impact scenes and the success of actors. The Movie Shows how two characters and transform due to the success of the drug trade and lead to a major shift of street creditability and eventually table turn. As Ace the Main character played by Wood Harris the Protagonist character in this film character traits of the quiet one who quits his job at the dry cleaners to make some fast money. It seems like Ace has to take the role of which his friend played and supply the street with the latest and best product that customers can't resist buying because they were getting better quality product for a lower price. He has watched his close friend get rich quick and have the latest car, clothes, jewelry, and the power in the streets. Ace's humbleness saves him from the dangers of the street in the long, but other suppliers cross his path to try to take what he has and threaten his family and friends. One of the key moments I noticed in this film and where the film kind of made a turning point is when Ace's moment of surrender comes when he returns a rock of cocaine he finds in a trouser pocket of another neighborhood drug kingpin and the dealer slyly suggests that he peddle it. Ace becomes his street connection and later his replacement (after he's found dead). When Mitch is released from prison, the best friends join forces with Rico (Cam'ron), a paranoid, hot-headed pal of Mitch's from prison whose idea of fun is to show home videos of himself having sex in a local dance club I think this movie is good for young kids growing up in the city to see. I think its a good representation that selling drugs and having all material things can lead to the quickest fall and then your life is gone because you vale the streets more than getting a career or job and going about life making the right choices. I think if majority of the audience can relate to the experiences that they see theses characters have to go through they will understand and appreciate the film for what it is. I think this deserves a 4 out of 5 rating I think overall it was well composed, the music related to the era, and the director did a fine job of representing the characters.

What a man!

Author: shary from Purgatory
25 January 2003

Esais' performance was awesome as usual. His accent in this movie left me with the giggles. haha! I liked this movie. I thought it was different and true to it's nature. I give it a 6

Best "Hood" Movie To Date!!- Tops MenaceII,Boys,Juice et al!

Author: newyorktalk from New York, NY
30 April 2003

Wow, It's about time! I was shocked when I saw this movie. I absolutely was not expecting a real film much less a good film! Trust me- this is a REAL FILM & a REALLY, REALLY GOOD FILM. The performances absolutely make it what it was. Wood Harris' performance was nothing less than stunning. That's neither exaggeration or some fan adulation- this man's skills were just that- "stunning" -in this movie. Combined with the other cast member's performances- the entire tragedy/saga of young black peoples in the hood- the sh** made you(me) want to cry.

Being from Harlem- 155th street- this story had a special significance for me. Besides Wood Harris- Mekhi Phifer threw down as usual- Solid performance -nailing Rich Porter. Cam'ron -damn- that's the ***** that REALLY SHOCKED me. That **** threw down! - what, forget hip-hop, this dude better move to LA and get an agent! Also, ESAI MORALES is the man- had a small part, but stood out- the guy in my opinion is the premiere latino actor working right now. You see him, you stop & pay attention.

The women in the movie had no major roles- this was a story of three teenagers who ******* ran harlem. Three young men faced w/ a choice of $50K a day or some dead-end jobs somewhere. While, admittedly, that's a somewhat simplistic synopsis- really, what would you do-if someone gave you an opportunity to make $50,000.00+ a day! bottom line, the people in this film are human, flawed and all- but human- and the things they went through were real- not these 'gangsta' fantasies of 99% of today's hip-hop acts! I'm glad AZ is alive. whatever he's doing- I hope the dude's healthy, at peace and making money legally.

The directing was good, not great- but solid. The script was good- but trust me -it was the PERFORMANCES- many of them improvised that made this film great!

Damn cool movie

Author: Tha Ghost from Danmark
1 April 2003

Finally a good gang movie, I've see a lot of them lately and thy all more or less suck, but this one was real real good.

Properly because it was based on a true story, that always makes a good movie. And Mekhi Phifer is or some in this movie, one scene was so so good, man he is becoming a great actor if you ask me :)

Not a Good Film

Author: fcon-1 from United States
6 September 2006

Just saw this film yesterday. It had a ton of holes, Liked the characters though but should of been used in an action film. Also, I didn't see the point in setting the film in the mid 80's even though the events are based on a true story the fact that it took place in the eighties is of no consequence. But the part that I truly got a kick out of was the Esai Morales character. He just decided out of the blue to give the dry cleaner the best available dope on the street because he kept to himself, talk about being lucky !! I personally expected more from this film I hope somebody can recommend me a better urban crime film with more action and a better plot.

Disappointing!!!

Author: Khan Naunko from Zimbabwe
28 February 2010

This movie is very disappointing, the idea was good and the acting was average, but the movie just didn't go down well. After watching it a second time i am certain that it could have been done better. As for the cast, well what can you say, there are very few Black Actors who can demand attention and this film has none, the only performance with any notability in this was Mekhi Pfeiffer. As for the Story, yes it was good, but it glossed over many facts and partially ruined the film for for me.

All in all a good way to occupy your time, but nothing that will stick with you, unless you count the headache afterward.

Page 3 of 3: [Prev][1] [2] [3]