IMDb > Dragonfly (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 24:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Great

Author: Priceguy from Sweden
30 November 2003

Call me an soppy silly man, but I loved this movie. I loved every sentimental sugar-coated silly second of it. I don't believe in life after death and I think near death experiences are hallucinations, but this movie grabbed hold of me and didn't let go. I was genuinely surprised and touched by the ending. Great movie.

Interesting premise falls flat in final acts

Author: rbverhoef (rbverhoef@hotmail.com) from The Hague, Netherlands
5 April 2005

There is something strange about 'Dragonfly'. It is not a thriller in its subject but it deals with it as if it's a thriller. Even more strange, in some scenes it actually succeeds in that. I mean, when your wife has died and she is trying to reach you from the other side is something else than simply seeing dead people. Your wife probably has the best intentions and although it is creepy you do not have to be scared of your dead wife. I guess. The man who thinks his dead wife is trying to reach him is Joe Darrow (Kevin Costner). Is he going mad, a premise for a dramatic film, or is he really connecting to the other side?

At times where his wife is communicating with Joe, at least to Joe's knowledge, the film breaths a creepy atmosphere with a cinematography and score that make things suspenseful. But the film does not have its focus on whether Joe is going mad or not, but on how scary it is when a dead person talks to you. That there is actually suspense shows that there is some nice film-making to be found here. The premise is interesting, although not that new, but especially the final act in the film goes wrong at crucial points. There is a moment where I thought the film was over, I will not reveal where, but at that time certain things were left in the middle. It felt like the right ending. But then the film continues, providing it with an ending that must have popped into many heads from the audience, probably dismissed by a lot for being too ridiculous.

Still, the premise and the first hour are good enough to keep us entertained and although it should not work as a thriller, it does. Watching it like that without thinking too much could help you like this film in one way or another.

Well acted and surprising

Author: potter-4 from ny
22 May 2004

From the info on the DVD cover, I thought this was a going to be a science fiction/horror movie. I was pleasantly surprised at what this was actually about. The plot twist in the film is wonderful. Kevin Costner and the rest of the cast do a convincing and thoroughly enjoyable job with this unique premise. This film reminded me more of a "Field of Dreams" than a "Poltergeist" kind of movie. The cast is revealing. Ron Rifkin (Alias) was a great foil to Mr. Costner. Linda Hunt is perfect in the small role she plays. The director, Mr. Shadyac, seems to have broken out of the comedy mode (Liar, Liar; Ace Ventura) in a big and interesting way here. This is a good one to see if you aren't into horror movies and want something that stirs the little grey cells...I give it a 7 out of 10.

2.5 - 3 Star Review, Content Over Form

Author: bocook from North Carolina, USA
28 February 2004

Setting aside several brilliant, but slashing technophile reviews, the experience of the story is more important than the mechanics, or the fact that several trendy notions have been graphed together. I don't care that it is New Age, Old Age, Stone Age... whatever. I don't even care that Costner doesn't seem to know where anything is going. I don't care if the director knew either. This is a story about the spirit of the only person absent from the film. The thing that drives the fictional Emily in the fictional tale is more compelling than anything else. What mother would not defy death to see this plot to conclusion? The broader message is most uplifting, the very powerful, spiritual, magical force that is love. It isn't too difficult to mine this treasure from the mud. Overall, I found the story very interesting and it survives the mediocrity of dialog and implausibility of the doctor's behavior at the hospital. The movie is even better on the second viewing. Sue me, but I really liked it.

Just Right

Author: astoryweaver from Riverside, California
6 May 2003

This is an awesome movie. It is just right for Kevin Costner. If I had a doctor like him, I would actually go to see one. The story is touching and beautiful. I love it from beginning to end. I wish others could appreciate this film as much as everybody I know, including myself, did. I'm not a real fan of spooky movies, but this was different. It was hauntingly beautiful. I would recommend seeing this on a cold, cloudy day, snuggling with your heart's desire.

Much more than expected.

Author: Matthew Webster from London, England
1 October 2002

Many may think they know the ending, but they will be suprised. This is a beautiful film with much more depth and understanding than initially appears. If you think it is going to be an average hollywood ghost story, think again.

Astonishingly Tender

Author: jlbailie from Montreal, Canada
28 February 2002

If you check your cynicism at the door, "Dragonfly" is astonishing in its tenderness. It's beautifully shot (Dean Semler of "Dances with Wolves" and "Waterworld") and well-acted. It's a refreshing alternative to the testosterone-driven films like "John Q", "Collateral Damage" and myriad war movies like "We Were Soldiers". Kevin Costner is inexplicably Hollywood's whipping boy but he still manages to make varied, provocative choices in his projects. While I wanted to resist the heart-tug of the ending, I found I simply couldn't. If you let it, "Dragonfly" will take you someplace sweet.

Surprisingly enjoyable supernatural tale.

Author: fleetstar from Peterborough, England
9 January 2004

Given that films are generally produced as an entertainment medium, and are not produced for the arty fraternity amongst us, I found this film an entertaining ride with a surprise ending. Kevin costner has never been my favourite actor, but credit where it is due he has produced some good work over the years and this film was for me, one of his better efforts and I thoroughly enjoyed it from start to finish.

****** POSSIBLE SPOILERS AHEAD ******

Ok, the wife going off an a trip to the jungle whilst six months pregnant is unlikely, but hey.....people do stranger things in life ? don't they ? it is the viewers imagination that this film is aimed at, and those viewers that don't have one will struggle to appreciate this film. I interpreted this movie to be the living part of the sixth sense and from that point of view, I thought it was well carried out. If I were to examine every little detail of the film I could no doubt (as other reviewers have done) find things that don't quite add up. But I won't do that, because I could do it with every other film that has been made with the same result.

Summary. Very good film and well worth a look. 7/10

Although using many clichés, the plot is romantic and the story is beautiful

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
21 July 2003

Dr. Joe Darrow (Kevin Costner) is a recently widowed doctor. He is grieving due to the death of his pregnant wife in a Red Cross mission in Venezuela. Although being atheist, he began to believe that his dead wife wants to communicate with him, through her young patients in the Pediatrics of a Chicago hospital.

Although using many clichés, the plot is romantic and the story is beautiful. However, the time taken by Joe Darrow to find out the meaning of the symbol is amazingly long for such an obsessed and intelligent character. Further, while his wife tries to contact him through the almost dead persons, the story is OK. But if she had the capacity of telekinesis, why not give him a clear written message? My vote is seven.

Title (Brazil): "O Mistério da Libélula" ("The Mystery of the Dragonfly")

A Good Thriller.

Author: movies2u from United States
25 February 2002

Dragonfly was a good thriller movie and was very well written. Kevin Costner and Kathy Bates were good. The movie did bore you a little at times, but in the ending the story picks up and flows greatly. The movie is about Joe (Kevin Costner), a doctor whose wife dies in a bus accident in a foreign country while working for the Red Cross.When she dies, Joe is devastated, and works overtime at the hospital, and is uncomfortable staying at his own house with his wife's menacing bird. But then, Joe finds that children dying at the hospital have seen his wife when they are near death, like a young boy named Jeffrey who is at the hospital for cancer. Now, Joe must find what his wife wants him to find. This movie was interesting and good. I give Dragonfly a 9 out of 10. :)

Page 1 of 24:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]