IMDb > "Rose Red" (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Rose Red"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Rose Red" More at IMDbPro »

Page 7 of 31: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]

Too long

Author: Raydio from Deloraine, Tasmania
9 August 2002

"Rose Red" bears much in common with films like "The Haunting" and "The Legend Of Hell House". There were some good elements in this mini series, such as the initial establishment of the characters, but I personally found the film way too long. In some respects "Rose Red" suffered from the same over indulgence as "Storm Of The Century", namely a good idea padded out with at least an extra hour of extraneous footage. Both these Steven King series could have done with a good pruning. I found the acting in "Rose Red" was somewhat patchy, though there were good performances by Nancy Travis, in the lead role, and also Matt Ross as the slimy Emery Waterman. Sadly, there was a fair degree of predictability in many segments, as well as over use of creature effects. When will some people learn that what you don't see is often scarier than what you do! Worth a watch if you have a lazy 4 hours to kill. 5/10

The house was great…

Author: SamRag from New Zealand
9 August 2002

Having read many of Stephen King's books, and seen several of the movies made from his books, I have to say that this film/miniseries didn't do too badly. I rented the four hour long DVD and was able to watch it without feeling the length, which should be considered an achievement. The story took a while to take off, and doesn't manage to be a horror film as such. There were some scenes where I (being a scary cat) had to look away, but surprisingly few. Most of the actors did well though specially the little girl (Kimberly J. Brown) and Julian Sands (e.g. from Warlock). However the lead was bit weak by Nancy Travis, not managing to come across as over-enthusiastic scientist, but more as a lunatic (maybe that was her intention?). The house and everything to do with the set was really well done, with the house being one more character. While watching the film I was more scared of the house then what might be found in it! What irritated me during the film was that they build up scenes, and then relaxed the atmosphere by pulling the camera away to show the house from above, or several rooms on the inside, sometimes while Nancy's character seemed to be explaining how the house was a live. Maybe this was due to this originally being a miniseries, but as a film it kind a dampened the excitement. This is however a good piece of work and enjoyable to watch. 7/10

Good entertainment for all Stephen King's style lovers

Author: agusti from València, Spain
7 August 2002

The film accomplishes the task of entertain its public. As habitual in more Stephen King's adaptations (Langoliers, Golden Years, Apocalipsis, etc.), Rose Red was planned as mini-serie, however my fascination about haunted houses theme and King's novels made me see the film without interruptions and I didn't feel tired.

Actors are correct in their roles and the story (although a little predictable as in most haunted house's films) will not disappoint the lovers of this sub-genre.

What more can you expect?

Author: Floresco from amsterdam
5 August 2002

I love Stephen King. As a writer that is. Ok he wrote some horrible stuff, but he can still deliver gripping tales. And of course the only movie-adaptation wich really was worth seeing was The Shining. A movie wich Stephen hated, so years later he made the horrible mini-series version of it. And now here is another haunted house. This is as good as miniseries can come: beautiful sets, fairly good actors, a story that keeps you intrested for 4.5 hours. Even the music was better than expected. So this is the dvd to rent if you have nothing else to do on a rainy sunday. 7/10

Excellent Concept, but Disappointing.

Author: unclelee (webmaster@minitruckweek.com)
1 August 2002

Rose Red had an excellent concept, but followed the almost concrete "Stephen King TV Adaptation GuideBook".

We have: 1.) B Movie Actors (Except for Julian Sands, who I agree made the flick) 2.) Bad Camera Work (However, it *IS* made for TV..) 3.) Reoccuring Characters (noted a few posts before mine, so I won't become redundant, however, there is always Nick who you pull for but always gets killed off, i.e. Nick in The Stand, Nick in The Langoliers, Nick in Maximum Overdrive [Still an Anti-Hero, even if he didn't get killed], etc etc and there is always Annie, who is the misunderstood heroine with her own secrets, i.e. Annie in The Stand)

However, alot of times this works, as in The Langoliers. I have to admit, this movie did hold my interest for the entire 4 hours, as I do not regret devoting an evening to watching it, but with such an excellent concept (even if it does resemble a combination of House on Haunted Hill and The Haunting- everyone has already made such excellent points!) it was quite disappointing.

Here's what I would like to see. A high-budget SK flick NOT made for TV, with a great score (even though "A Summer Place" couldnt've been better placed- ever notice how pleasant music in the appropriate scenes in horror movies can be so bone-chilling, like in Evil Dead?), some B+ or A minus actors (keep Julian Sands, Dean Stockwell always worked well, I don't think Emilio Estivez has had a lot of work recently, can anyone say Billy Zane or Bruce Campbell?), some good cinemotography, some expensive and tantalizing trailers, and a token Nick and Annie.

And throw some John Carpenter in there as well :)

The flicks could be excellent if they didn't look so cheap. Seriously, Maximum Overdrive followed the real-movie pattern, and it was a totally different feel than the newer movies.

However, not even a high budget film could ever do his books any justice.

It wasn't all that great

Author: NoVarelluM (NoVarelluM@hotmail.com) from Groningen, Netherlands
28 July 2002

It was supposed exciting, it must be, otherwise 4 hours is a very long way! I kept telling myself that it will get better. What I liked about 'Storm of the century' 'the (new) shining' and 'the stand', that it was exciting from minute 1 and that is how it stayed through out the movie. Rose Red wasn't anything like that, the only thing I liked about it was the Autistic girl, I thought she was pretty good. So if you're going to watch it, try to realize it is 4 hours! And it at your own risk! want to watch a good Stephen King movie? The Stand! 6 hours of movie, but worth your time,

See ya Greetings,

NoVarelluM

Groningen, Holland

Hard to believe it was made for T.V.

Author: wwp-1 from Indianapolis, Indiana
19 July 2002

I highly recommend this title on DVD. It was truly suspenseful, yet a bit repetitive at points. Considering the medium this movie was made for (television), I can forgive that much. Don't let the `Made for T.V.' part fool you, what it may lack in gore it makes up for with suspense and tension. Make plenty of popcorn as well, at 254 minutes it may need to be tempered with snacks and a bathroom break or two. `Rose Red' is a perfect example of how good television could be instead of the mindless drivel that tends to congest it.

Great job

Author: TheShadow22 (TheShadow22@excite.com)
18 July 2002

I'd have to hand it to Stephen King. He did a great job on this movie. Some good thrills, excellent graphics and animation, and a good cast. The only thing that he shouldn't have done... make it as long as Titanic. It made the movie and plot seem dull sometimes.

Very interesting.....

Author: jess422000 from Alabama
17 July 2002

Although the plot for this story was not unique (haunted houses are never unique), I thoroughly enjoyed this movie. It was a bit lengthy, over 4 hours, but I could not stop watching it because there was always something happening. Stephen King never ceases to scare you with his crazy ideas and supernatural beings. In short, I loved it and I would encourage anyone to watch it.

Read

Author: Alyssa Sloane from London, England
15 July 2002

This mini-series did not disapoint me AT all. It was well thought out, and quite interesting. (And yes, I am a major King fan, so I might be biased- I think almost everything he does is gold...if it isn't, it usually isn't his fault). For other mini-series to watch, The Stand, The Perfect Storm, and The Shining. All awesome mini-series. A definite must buy.