IMDb > "Rose Red" (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Rose Red"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Rose Red" More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 31: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

The House That Stood,Breathed,Haunted, and even Killed

Author: Tazzmaynia11-1 from England
19 June 2004

This film i really enjoyed watching, however it was a bit too long for me to stay focused and concentrated i mean it is over four hours long.But the film is absolutely fantastic and quite scary in some places! it was well written and extremely well performed and acted although i didn't understand it the first time i saw it!

It's about a young girl with supernatural powers who is asked to go into the house to reawaken the house that died thousands of years before! but at what expense? a university teacher is obsessed with the house and will stop at nothing to get what she wants, even at the risk of hurting the young girl!

its a good film, i recommend it to horror/spooky lovers! 7/10

The Classic Chill

Author: Sherry Eubank (agnt74) from United States
25 April 2004

Not the type of movie if all you're looking for is a lot of action without much of a story. A good story,whether in a book or on screen has to have an intro,a beginning, middle, climax and conclusion. This movie covers all the basics of a good classic haunted tale. The type you'd like to tell by a fire with a group of friends at night. The scenes though are much better to watch. The director of the movie does a good job of keeping it real too with bits of another century(1909) mixed in with the present. This movie is not a quick flick however, so I recommend checking out when you've got free time, such as around midnight on a Friday night. It's a rare haunted epic to keep around.

mildly enjoyable but very unoriginal

Author: fibreoptic from England
30 January 2004

Is it just me or is Rose Red a rehash of The Shining? Everything about this screams unoriginality and if you watch it carefully you will notice lots of things in common with The Shining! Big creepy place haunted by evil ghosts who want a psychic kid who can see them so they can grow stronger. It was an interesting watch but there's only one problem....it wasn't scary! That's probably why the DVD got a 12 rating in the UK! Some of the acting was cheesy or over the top but Julian Sands acting was superb. This is just Stephen King trying to make a quick buck and just did a quick remix of one of his classic title's. If this was written by anyone else but Stephen King it would be acceptable but i don't expect this off a man of his calibre! And the obvious cameo by Mr King is just so grrrr unsubtle that it's just throwing the fact that it's Stephen King in our faces (when the guy who wrote it has his name much bigger than the title on the front of the DVD you got to start wondering) and to make you think it's got to be good if he appears in a 30 second cameo. Some of the effects annoy me like the bee's and the exploding sink which are obviously not realistic enough (the statue effect is quite cool though). If you haven't seen either of The Shining's then watch this first because you might get more entertainment from Rose Red.

It was good.

Author: Thomas Ferreira from Portland, OR
28 January 2004

I immediately connected it to the Winchestor Mystery House in San Jose, CA. I have been to it. Stories are similar, just one is fake and the other real. They even say in the making it is connected to the Winchestor Mystery House. If you have never gone to that house you should. The movie was good. Weird but I tend to like weird. Nancy Travis is so hot. hehe. I would gave this movie an 8, because the length made it drag a little bit.

Absolute Rubbish

Author: dungeonkeeper from UK
22 July 2003

OK, the 1st part is not too bad, but as soon as they get to the house, it descends rapidly into utter trash. I suffered the rest of it in the vain hope it might get better, but by the end I really couldn't care less.

don't waste your time.

Absolute Rubbish

Author: dungeonkeeper from UK
22 July 2003

don't waste your time.

Great idea, mediocre execution

Author: weatherladykatie from United States
4 April 2010

As an avid Stephen King fan, I'm always excited about new work of his. Rose Red was no exception. However the more of his movies I see, the more I think he seriously needs to discuss making them with another production company. I love the idea of Rose Red, the cast was chosen well, and of course it was very well written. But the execution was mediocre at best. It was pretty clear that some of these special effects, in fact most of them, were made from a shoestring budget. Some things were just plain cheesy. In this day in age, the graphics should have been a bit more convincing. Nancy Travis did a fine job showing the deterioration from a slightly eccentric college professor to obsessed psychopath, but at times her acting was not the greatest. All in all if you're a King fan like me, you should check this out, but don't expect to find "Shawshank Redemption" or "The Green Mile" here. Good work, but he needs to fire his directors. I give it a 7.5, but round it up to an 8 because it was written by Mr. King.

A recipe for "Red Rose"

Author: Prophetess from USA
2 February 2002

Start with "Burnt Offerings," throw in a healthy portion of "The Haunting," lift scenes directly from "Firestarter" and "The Shining" (whole, no changes) give it the ending from "Carrie" and you have "Rose Red" -- without a storyline, of course, and characters who have no motivation (Why was Joyce Reardon so obsessed with the house? Why was she having an affair with the latest owner?). The special effects might have redeemed this waste of film and time were they not so reminiscent of the Crypt Keeper and his ghoulish puppet friends. I want my six hours back.

Junk of the highest order

Author: hawksburn from sydney, australia
17 November 2002

Stephen King screen adaptations have a well known history of being hit-or-miss (mostly miss). However I was prepared to give this a try, especially since I've regarded his made-for-tv stuff quite highly since "The Stand" (which I regard as one of the best mini-series ever).

However this sad affair I'm sorry to say, is junk. Lord knows I persevered. I persevered thru the uneventful exposition (taking a whole episode to do what a motion-picture would do in 20 minutes, thereby betraying it's tv origins - I watched this on dvd, it not having been screened by any of the networks in Australia). I persevered thru the lame attempts at frightening the audience (unless they're aiming this at 10 year olds on a sleepover, give up) via incredibly bad cgi & puppetry. I persevered thru the illogicalities that infected the script.

The biggest problem was that none of these characters had my sympathy. I didn't care about any of them. The only real half interesting character was Julian Sands but then they kill him off. By the final part I was sincerely wishing that the "ghosts" would finish the lot of them off (ESPECIALLY the little girl!!!). I understand the conventions of the ghost-horror genre. Put a bunch of stupid people in a spooky setting (i.e house, closed summer camp etc etc...) then watch them consistently make bad decisions until only 1 or 2 of them are left. But these people are beyond stupid.

"I'm just going into the haunted kitchen by myself to get some milk from the refridgerator that I noticed where we saw the headless woman this afternoon even though we have no power, it's the middle of the night, and the house is dark"

"Well remember that the house is prone to change shape and you may never find your way back and god knows 5 people are already dead or missing, so take a torch."

"Ok"

These people are dumb to the 'nth' extreme. Hard to give a crap about them really.

Nancy Travis' attempts at acting insane would make Jack Nicholson spin in his grave.

While this certainly isn't the worst ghost movie I've ever seen ('The Haunted' would probably win that award), the fact is it takes too long to get anywhere, and then when it finally does, the emotional payoff to reward ones perseverence fails miserably. It's neither scary, spooky, darkly funny or entertaining. It's boring.

Ellen Rimbauer and her antagonists

Author: Arirang2009 from Sendai, Japan
28 November 2013

And here, ladies and gentlemen, we have The House which really likes to eat folks with pants and shoes on - i wonder if Rose Red also eats censors just as well?

Through the time, Rose Red seem to have swallowing a lot of different "things", not only a nice bunch of peoples, but also loads of blurry CGI and two - believe it or not - vampires; how they got there must be a story of its own (you'll have to discover them for yourself!)

At least thats the impression i got when i watched the 3 episodes. As always, i don't really have any higher expectations of Kings movie adaptions, since only four has been proved good; The Stand, Pet Cemetery, Carrie and The Cycle of a Werewolf, and they where aired and published long time ago.

Rose Red has the great potential to be a nicely ghost story, or at least a mediocre one, and much in this flick are acceptable to a certain point, despite some character frustration and plot holes, such as irrational behavior and lack of cognitive thinking - if they all had some psychic telepathic ability, why did everyone failed to see the most obviously outcome in their situation and so on.

The characters in a movie, are for me, the building block of the story, and the misshape of Rose Red was't really the cheaply CGI effects, nor the ridiculous looking ghosts of Ellen Rimbauer and April, which maybe unintentionally made me chuckle from time to time, it was Annie and Nick - oh man! I just wanted to kill that authentic girl - which didn't really acted authentic, and Nick, whit his heaped persona that makes the skin go goosebumps and that British accent which made my body shivering - oh man! Sorry if im lacking words for it - but "begone!" with you!

Funny enough; Rose Reds antagonist among the "ghost hunting" group Emery Waterman seem to be - in the straight opposite direction of what King might had in his mind - the one with most common sense. In contrast, i had the feeling that Emery was supposed to create uncertainty within the group, hence making them weaker against Rose Reds ghosts.

Rose Red itself had that suspense you might expecting from a Haunted - House movie, and it has to be said that the music with all those whispering voices must be one of the greater choices in any of Stephen Kings movies, i really liked it. The screenplay showing various parts of the house, both inside and from above, makes your imagine go wild, thoughts such as "what about if i where there...", it adds a lot to the creepiness.

A lot of thing could be recognized from other movies, i don't need to mention movies such as The Haunting and The Legend of Hell House, but it still was acceptable levels of inspirations from outside; but Glenn Miller - oh man - that song playing over and over again, as if Stephen King really wasn't able to select something else! I never wanna hear that song again, and the fact that the song even appears in The Shining hurts, because its something you can watch when nothing better is to be reached a cold, dark autumn evening!

Creepiness: 5 Scariness: 2 Sound/music: 5 (without Glenn Miller) Visualization: 5

Thanks!