IMDb > "Rose Red" (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Rose Red"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratings

"Rose Red" More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 31: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

Typical

Author: geocapital from Sweden
14 August 2016

This is a typical paranormal activity movie: The characters act like idiots, making always the worst choice (like going alone somewhere), most of the paranormal things do not happen on screen, characters die one by one (although they do stay longer in this 4-hour mini series) and you can't even understand why these characters are there in the first place, music that you would never listen by itself (it feels strange that the OST seems to have been released as a double album) and a whole stage and acting that offers more laughs than its parody could ever do. So, the story is about a mentally problematic "psychology" professor who is also a fond fan of paranormal activity. Trying to boost her career, she decides to go and collect some "hard" data (hahahaha) to prove to her boss and the psychology scientific community that paranormal activity is real. The place for that is a mansion belonging to her boyfriend and is supposed to be haunted. Because of numerous deaths, the place was left empty for many years and is considered to be sleeping... For reasons unknown, the "scientist" believes that the house will wake up thanks to a group of other paranormal crazees that she is actually paying to go to the house with her and especially a telekinetic teenager that seems to be special among the rest (we don't know why). Although each of the members seems to have a special talent (a special move if you are a gamer), they barely seem to need it as any random guy could act the same way in that house. So, this professor takes all the expensive equipment of the university (telemetric... hahaha) and goes to collect some hard data. These equipment include a camera and a machine that measures temperature (called thermometer) and how many people are in the room (and despite the number being larger than the actual people, it still doesn't make a difference in the story). After they move in and before setting the equipment, they go on a tour. Although a lot of the paranormal activity happens during this tour (like the screaming room), they don't record anything, and the prof continues the tour like nothing happened. Later on, when more paranormal things happen, the same professor who was so adamant that there is paranormal activity, appears to ignore it and get even crazier forgetting the reason she went there in the first place. Maybe at the end, we understand why... Anyway, to tell the truth, if you like this kind of movies, you will have some pleasant time, with some nice laughs when you know what is going to happen (and it does!). But it's a terribly long movie, with very slow development and these boring scenic gaps fitted for TV shows. Anyway, I'd better go change my underwear for the fifth time. Still half an hour to go.

Ho hum.

Author: Sarah r from australia
22 August 2002

I liked the concept of a house that grows, and I normally enjoy Stephen King stories, so I picked this up with high hopes. However, I found this was just one big disappointment. Far too long, there was no need for the full 4 hours. Scary? Maybe I've just seen too many horror films, but I found myself laughing at the incredibly weak props and "special effects". The acting wasn't too bad. In fact, I'd say most of the cast deserve an Oscar for looking so terrified in front of those ridiculous corpse puppets. Here's hoping the book is better.

It wasn't all that great

Author: NoVarelluM (NoVarelluM@hotmail.com) from Groningen, Netherlands
28 July 2002

It was supposed exciting, it must be, otherwise 4 hours is a very long way! I kept telling myself that it will get better. What I liked about 'Storm of the century' 'the (new) shining' and 'the stand', that it was exciting from minute 1 and that is how it stayed through out the movie. Rose Red wasn't anything like that, the only thing I liked about it was the Autistic girl, I thought she was pretty good. So if you're going to watch it, try to realize it is 4 hours! And it at your own risk! want to watch a good Stephen King movie? The Stand! 6 hours of movie, but worth your time,

See ya Greetings,

NoVarelluM

Groningen, Holland

Hard to believe it was made for T.V.

Author: wwp-1 from Indianapolis, Indiana
19 July 2002

I highly recommend this title on DVD. It was truly suspenseful, yet a bit repetitive at points. Considering the medium this movie was made for (television), I can forgive that much. Don't let the `Made for T.V.' part fool you, what it may lack in gore it makes up for with suspense and tension. Make plenty of popcorn as well, at 254 minutes it may need to be tempered with snacks and a bathroom break or two. `Rose Red' is a perfect example of how good television could be instead of the mindless drivel that tends to congest it.

Great job

Author: TheShadow22 (TheShadow22@excite.com)
18 July 2002

I'd have to hand it to Stephen King. He did a great job on this movie. Some good thrills, excellent graphics and animation, and a good cast. The only thing that he shouldn't have done... make it as long as Titanic. It made the movie and plot seem dull sometimes.

Very interesting.....

Author: jess422000 from Alabama
17 July 2002

Although the plot for this story was not unique (haunted houses are never unique), I thoroughly enjoyed this movie. It was a bit lengthy, over 4 hours, but I could not stop watching it because there was always something happening. Stephen King never ceases to scare you with his crazy ideas and supernatural beings. In short, I loved it and I would encourage anyone to watch it.

Not original, but a pleasant haunted house melodrama

Author: Horror_movie_fan (livingdead12345@aol.com) from Huntington Beach, California, USA
9 July 2002

"Rose Red" seems to have nothing original to speak of in the haunted house movie genre that hasn't been done before in "The Legend of Hell House," "The Haunting," "Burnt Offerings," but it is a pleasant and entertaining movie with good acting and production values. Though, I would consider it more of a supernatural melodrama, than a horror movie. I would also say if you're a fan of the haunted house genre, as I am, you'll probably like it.

One of the best haunted house movies ever

Author: shamann2 from Maine
9 June 2002

This movie has a typical story line of people spending a night in a haunted house, but the suspense and visual effects are outstanding! I saw this movie on DVD and was glad I had the time to view the movie in its entirety in one sitting. The heart thumping continued at an exciting pace through so much of the movie. I would recommend this movie for anyone who enjoys being scared. Stephen King's cameo appearance was great, too.

Keeps you guessing

Author: Matt (spiritalreject@yahoo.com) from Boise, Idaho
8 June 2002

Despite what all the others may have said, this movie rocks. Normally, haunted house movies turn out to be extremely lame (IE House on Haunted Hill, 13 Ghosts), but this movie proved that it's not a dead genre. I don't want to go into the plot, but I will say that all the characters are very in-depth, just like King's books, and that there's alot of twists and turns in this. Suspenseful as it is scary. A good comparison for this would be to the Haunting - except note that this movies blows the Haunting out the water completely and makes it look like a children's movie.

WATCH IT!

great rental for a weekend

Author: pbohrk from san jose
8 June 2002

My whole family enjoyed watching this made for television movie. My 8 year old daughter had lots of comments and questions related to ghosts and boogy people. She enjoyed knowing that there were boogy men and boogy women. We enjoyed the speed and flow of the film.