IMDb > "Rose Red" (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Rose Red"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Rose Red" More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 31: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

Better than expected

Author: d_napierjerray from United States
9 December 2007

When this movie originally came out, I watched bits and pieces but quickly lost interest. I think its one of those movies that you have to watch all the way through to truly get it. After I rented it and watched a second time, I couldn't keep my eyes off of the screen. When I finished the first half, it was already 1:00 in the morning but I was still ready to watch the second half- even after my favorite character died.

Other than the inaccurate representation of autism, the movie was quite suspenseful and addicting. There were a lot of strange twist all through out the movie and a great unexpected ending. Stephen king was brilliant. This was probably one of his best movies so far.

Amazing!!! For a television show...

Author: teekayu8 from London, England
11 September 2007

For a television show, which gives u only 45 minutes each, it makes u wait for another week to give us another episode. Which really gives us something to think and shrieked about in 7 days to come. With that stuff, it worked. Real well. I don't know how I feel after experiencing them all at once in a 4 hour long film. It doesn't seem right cramming the whole series all up into a 4 disc movie. It lacks it's potential one by one. But it never lacked it's creeps. For a television thing, it's probably one of the creepiest elements since...I don't know when. But when you bought the DVD and experience the whole thing all at once, the structures starts to fall down. But well, the creeps are still there...so what do you expect?! This is another superb King's story which works out mostly as TV series. But it's still creepy when you watch it again. 8/10.

Very good for a Stephen King production.

Author: MONGOMAULER from Virginia
20 September 2004

Well, I didn't have a problem with the length of it because it was a TV Mini-series, hence the length of it for you folks that thought it was too long, Duh ?. I also rented it. I thought it was entertaining and much less boring than The Stand. At any rate I would rather watch this than an even more boring and lengthy movie like the Titanic ( about a ship that we already know sinks and it's just a matter of who survives) At any rate it's pretty typical of Stephen King and I think one of his better MADE for TV Movies. I didn't have a problem with understanding it or the length of it or even the substance of it. Sometimes you can just sit back on a 50 inch TV and enjoy something.

For those of you who like Stephen King stuff I recommend it, but keep in mind it was a made for TV movie for more than one night, so save it for some night when you have some time.

A fairly decent eerie flick from King

Author: Webb from Portugal
12 August 2004

I've just watched Stephen King's "Rose Red", and I ought to say that it was a somewhat moody and creepy experience this time around (as I've previously seen it on video, though the result was quite poor in comparison). I understand the fact that most people dislike some of his new works available these days, but if one's really used to his literary works, I believe the difference won't be that big in terms of expectation, plot and time. In fact, his version of "The Shining" was exceptionally good (even if I consider Kubrick's version a hell of a great ride), and much like "Rose Red", went on for a very long time in the player. Nevertheless, and cutting the chase here, most of these series are overall quite good and entertaining, providing an engaging effect on the viewer throughout their entirety. Still, I admit that "Dreamcatcher" was a quite big flop (in case anyone was wondering), but not this one, or even "Storm of the Century", for that matter.

The creepy plot together with some really great performances make this creepy thriller one of my favorites.

Author: Annie
17 July 2004

Rose Red is a nicely put together haunted house movie. As a fan of these types of movies I have seen many movies that would be considered in the same genre and this movie stands out above the rest. It has a unique plot involving some brainpower on the part of the viewer to decipher (but it's worth it). Stephen King is talented at making a really outlandish and highly un-plausible plot interesting and real. The larger than life special effects really are quite fitting to the scale of the movie and so not detract from the quality of the film. The downfall to this movie would have to be the fact that it is very long. I have watched it a few times and find that unless I sit and watch the whole thing straight through I end up feeling like I missed something or like something was missing from the plot. So set aside an afternoon and enter the eerie world of Rose Red where Stephen King brings some of your worst fears to life.

The House That Stood,Breathed,Haunted, and even Killed

Author: Tazzmaynia11-1 from England
19 June 2004

This film i really enjoyed watching, however it was a bit too long for me to stay focused and concentrated i mean it is over four hours long.But the film is absolutely fantastic and quite scary in some places! it was well written and extremely well performed and acted although i didn't understand it the first time i saw it!

It's about a young girl with supernatural powers who is asked to go into the house to reawaken the house that died thousands of years before! but at what expense? a university teacher is obsessed with the house and will stop at nothing to get what she wants, even at the risk of hurting the young girl!

its a good film, i recommend it to horror/spooky lovers! 7/10

The Classic Chill

Author: Sherry Eubank (agnt74) from United States
25 April 2004

Not the type of movie if all you're looking for is a lot of action without much of a story. A good story,whether in a book or on screen has to have an intro,a beginning, middle, climax and conclusion. This movie covers all the basics of a good classic haunted tale. The type you'd like to tell by a fire with a group of friends at night. The scenes though are much better to watch. The director of the movie does a good job of keeping it real too with bits of another century(1909) mixed in with the present. This movie is not a quick flick however, so I recommend checking out when you've got free time, such as around midnight on a Friday night. It's a rare haunted epic to keep around.

mildly enjoyable but very unoriginal

Author: fibreoptic from England
30 January 2004

Is it just me or is Rose Red a rehash of The Shining? Everything about this screams unoriginality and if you watch it carefully you will notice lots of things in common with The Shining! Big creepy place haunted by evil ghosts who want a psychic kid who can see them so they can grow stronger. It was an interesting watch but there's only one problem....it wasn't scary! That's probably why the DVD got a 12 rating in the UK! Some of the acting was cheesy or over the top but Julian Sands acting was superb. This is just Stephen King trying to make a quick buck and just did a quick remix of one of his classic title's. If this was written by anyone else but Stephen King it would be acceptable but i don't expect this off a man of his calibre! And the obvious cameo by Mr King is just so grrrr unsubtle that it's just throwing the fact that it's Stephen King in our faces (when the guy who wrote it has his name much bigger than the title on the front of the DVD you got to start wondering) and to make you think it's got to be good if he appears in a 30 second cameo. Some of the effects annoy me like the bee's and the exploding sink which are obviously not realistic enough (the statue effect is quite cool though). If you haven't seen either of The Shining's then watch this first because you might get more entertainment from Rose Red.

It was good.

Author: Thomas Ferreira from Portland, OR
28 January 2004

I immediately connected it to the Winchestor Mystery House in San Jose, CA. I have been to it. Stories are similar, just one is fake and the other real. They even say in the making it is connected to the Winchestor Mystery House. If you have never gone to that house you should. The movie was good. Weird but I tend to like weird. Nancy Travis is so hot. hehe. I would gave this movie an 8, because the length made it drag a little bit.

Absolute Rubbish

Author: dungeonkeeper from UK
22 July 2003

OK, the 1st part is not too bad, but as soon as they get to the house, it descends rapidly into utter trash. I suffered the rest of it in the vain hope it might get better, but by the end I really couldn't care less.

don't waste your time.