IMDb > "Rose Red" (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Rose Red"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Rose Red" More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 31: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

steven king

Author: kai ringler from United States
10 July 2013

I watched this when it came on TV in 2002, watched it 3 times since then,, excellent mini-series/ movie.. Nancy Travis was just a joy to watch in this,, Julian Sands character was awesome to.. a paranormal expert working at a local college, has always been fascinated with the Rose Red Mansion,, apparently it's haunted and lot's and lot's of people have died there. she recruits several experts in the field of the paranormal to go on a haunted house tour of Rose Red to see if it's really haunted as the legend goes,, well they get to the house and all sorts of creepy things start to happen around them.. there is a little girl who can "wake up" the house,, lot's of characters cross paths with each other, and some don't like the little girl as well.. as our teacher slowly finds out what's going on,, some may see that she is starting to lose her mind and that the house is taking her,, I love the scenes, where the house Is turned upside down,, and you don't know which room you are in,, whether you are coming or going,, will definitely recommend this to any horror fan,, or SK fan.

Haunting? Is that you?

Author: sjrobb99-997-836393 from United States
28 May 2013

To get the obvious parallel out of the way: yes, the plot of "Rose Red" is a LOT like "The Haunting of Hill House". The basic elements are all there: a creepy old house where "something awful" happened long ago, a slightly obsessive paranormal investigator, a group of psychic volunteers--one of them an innocent conduit meant to 'awaken' the house--an heir looking to turn a quick buck on a dubious inheritance...check, check, and check.

The differences, however, throw the whole thing off-kilter enough that "Rose Red" works on its own. Notwithstanding some laughable special effects and a few performances hammy enough to be served for Easter dinner, this is a series worth watching.

Rose Red, the ancestral home of the Rimbauer family, was cursed from the beginning (a natural consequence of having been built atop that haunted house chestnut: an ancient Indian burial ground). Ellen Rimbauer, the widow of the builder, led a miserable and emotionally stunted life. To escape from her misery, she dabbled in the occult and eventually died in the house along with her daughter, April, her maid/lover/familiar, Sukeena, and various other visitors. After Ellen's death, tour groups paid to go through the house...but the tour groups kept coming up short one member at the end. The house has been abandoned for many years.

Enter Professor Joyce Reardon (toothily played by Nancy Travis), a psychologist with an obsessive bent toward the paranormal. Threatened with the loss of her university position--presumably for being a bitchy crackpot--she is determined to prove her theories by turning Rose Red into an Island of Misfit Psychic Toys: nervously religious Cathy (Judith Ivey), shrill, sniveling Emery (Matt Ross), phlegmatic Vic (Kevin Tighe), tentative Pam (Emily Deschanel), suave and calming Nick (Julian Sands), and autistic Annie (Kimberly J. Brown) who is the aforementioned psychic conduit. Annie's sister, Rachel,(Melanie Lynskey) comes along to care for Annie during the experiment but has no psychic powers. Neither does Steve Rimbauer (Matt Keesler), the remaining Rimbauer heir--who happens to be schtupping Dr. Reardon and is happy to let her use the house to regain her professional footing.

The series veers from the predictable (lengthening hallways, breathing walls, a sinister doll-house) to the grotesquely sublime (the demise and reappearance of several members of the party, all of them looking sly and pale and miserably, gloriously dead when they shuffle back on-stage). A few performances fall magnificently, headlong into caricature, most notably Emery, who is so disgustingly whiny and unlikable that he calls to mind Franklin, the vile, wheelchair-bound younger brother of Sally in "Texas Chainsaw Massacre". When Emery's neurotically overprotective mother Kay (Laura Kenny) shows up and begins gnawing at the scenery, the whole thing threatens to degenerate into cartoonishness...but the cast manages to pull it out and and give the viewer the genuinely creepy impression that the relationship between Emery and his mother is the unhealthiest thing in the house at that moment--given the stuff going on in Rose Red, that's saying something.

One central performance left me unsatisfied: Kimberly J. Brown, as the autistic psychic Annie, relies pretty heavily on theatrically portentous looks and the constant ghostly background noise of Annie's favorite song, "Theme from A Summer Place". There's no Rain Man virtuosity at work here, just a lot of dull staring off into the distance. At the end of the series, when Annie begins to speak, her laughably fake stammer fails utterly to convey the wonder of a non-verbal autistic person talking for the first time. You get the feeling she is not so much autistic as just backward and bratty. Melanie Lynsky's Rachel manages to be believably terrified of, and protective over, Annie--but Annie and Rachel's mother and father, who show up briefly, are so ham-handed in their effort to be BAD PEOPLE that they might have stepped straight out of an After-School Special about abusive parents.

Several reviewers have mentioned that the end of the movie, when all of the ghosts in the house close in on Dr. Reardon to make her a permanent resident of Rose Red, left them cold. I have to disagree. Dr. Reardon is cheerfully unlikable from the very beginning, with a toothy smile that never quite reaches her eyes and the shifty instincts of a nutria rat. I had no trouble believing that her increasingly manic efforts to control the people, the experiment, and ultimately Rose Red itself came from her own personality. She was not infected by the house; the house recognized her as a kindred spirit. The house knew she was awful and set her up for a brutal finish. The ghosts who take her down include Nick, Cathy, and Vic--all of whom died because she refused to listen to reason about how dangerous the house really was. The very last scene, where ghost-Joyce gazes smugly out the attic window, is both totally predictable, and totally eerie and unsettling in the best possible way.

Yes, the movie is derivative, but it has some terribly effective moments. Ultimately it's satisfying and rich in the guilty way of eating something delicious that you know is not good for you.

Stephen King !

Author: Besart Prishtina from Vushtrri, Kosovo
29 August 2010

First of all i can't believe that i missed this M-S all these years, but i saw this on a Stephen King profile here at IMDb and i rent it and i'm very pleased that i did.

From the beginning i had high hopes about this and those hopes came true, and i really enjoyed. BTW "haunted houses" have always been in my priority list.

Script was good acting too especially Annie (seemed so real), last ten minutes scene was the most enjoyable part. Hoverer the thing that bothered me is that Judith Ivey wasn't involved as much as she deserves.

I recommend this to anyone who skipped this "unintentionally" like i did.

Wow

Author: WallyGirl10 from United States
11 December 2007

Rose Red was the fastest 4 hours I have ever sat through. This was an absolutely genius movie. The characters are so thought out and played out perfectly. I bought this movie out of the five dollar rack at Wal-Mart and was very happy with it. Not a movie to watch if you don't have a few hours to spare but definitely something to start watching at 8pm. This movie takes you on an adventure with Psychics and a homicidal house. If you really like this sort of stuff I suggest doing research on the house that the movie was actually based off of. It really is a fascinating story, I wont say why I think so because it is kind of a spoiler for the movie. Like most of Steven Kings movies and books, this movie isn't very scary. Its more of a "what is going to happen?" type movie. You stay and watch because by god you have to know what happens. It is creepy as a Steven King movie should be but not jump out of your seat, popcorn flying everywhere scary. It will keep you on the edge of your seat dying to know what is going to happen.

Better than expected

Author: d_napierjerray from United States
9 December 2007

When this movie originally came out, I watched bits and pieces but quickly lost interest. I think its one of those movies that you have to watch all the way through to truly get it. After I rented it and watched a second time, I couldn't keep my eyes off of the screen. When I finished the first half, it was already 1:00 in the morning but I was still ready to watch the second half- even after my favorite character died.

Other than the inaccurate representation of autism, the movie was quite suspenseful and addicting. There were a lot of strange twist all through out the movie and a great unexpected ending. Stephen king was brilliant. This was probably one of his best movies so far.

Amazing!!! For a television show...

Author: teekayu8 from London, England
11 September 2007

For a television show, which gives u only 45 minutes each, it makes u wait for another week to give us another episode. Which really gives us something to think and shrieked about in 7 days to come. With that stuff, it worked. Real well. I don't know how I feel after experiencing them all at once in a 4 hour long film. It doesn't seem right cramming the whole series all up into a 4 disc movie. It lacks it's potential one by one. But it never lacked it's creeps. For a television thing, it's probably one of the creepiest elements since...I don't know when. But when you bought the DVD and experience the whole thing all at once, the structures starts to fall down. But well, the creeps are still there...so what do you expect?! This is another superb King's story which works out mostly as TV series. But it's still creepy when you watch it again. 8/10.

Very good for a Stephen King production.

Author: MONGOMAULER from Virginia
20 September 2004

Well, I didn't have a problem with the length of it because it was a TV Mini-series, hence the length of it for you folks that thought it was too long, Duh ?. I also rented it. I thought it was entertaining and much less boring than The Stand. At any rate I would rather watch this than an even more boring and lengthy movie like the Titanic ( about a ship that we already know sinks and it's just a matter of who survives) At any rate it's pretty typical of Stephen King and I think one of his better MADE for TV Movies. I didn't have a problem with understanding it or the length of it or even the substance of it. Sometimes you can just sit back on a 50 inch TV and enjoy something.

For those of you who like Stephen King stuff I recommend it, but keep in mind it was a made for TV movie for more than one night, so save it for some night when you have some time.

A fairly decent eerie flick from King

Author: Webb from Portugal
12 August 2004

I've just watched Stephen King's "Rose Red", and I ought to say that it was a somewhat moody and creepy experience this time around (as I've previously seen it on video, though the result was quite poor in comparison). I understand the fact that most people dislike some of his new works available these days, but if one's really used to his literary works, I believe the difference won't be that big in terms of expectation, plot and time. In fact, his version of "The Shining" was exceptionally good (even if I consider Kubrick's version a hell of a great ride), and much like "Rose Red", went on for a very long time in the player. Nevertheless, and cutting the chase here, most of these series are overall quite good and entertaining, providing an engaging effect on the viewer throughout their entirety. Still, I admit that "Dreamcatcher" was a quite big flop (in case anyone was wondering), but not this one, or even "Storm of the Century", for that matter.

The creepy plot together with some really great performances make this creepy thriller one of my favorites.

Author: Annie
17 July 2004

Rose Red is a nicely put together haunted house movie. As a fan of these types of movies I have seen many movies that would be considered in the same genre and this movie stands out above the rest. It has a unique plot involving some brainpower on the part of the viewer to decipher (but it's worth it). Stephen King is talented at making a really outlandish and highly un-plausible plot interesting and real. The larger than life special effects really are quite fitting to the scale of the movie and so not detract from the quality of the film. The downfall to this movie would have to be the fact that it is very long. I have watched it a few times and find that unless I sit and watch the whole thing straight through I end up feeling like I missed something or like something was missing from the plot. So set aside an afternoon and enter the eerie world of Rose Red where Stephen King brings some of your worst fears to life.

The House That Stood,Breathed,Haunted, and even Killed

Author: Tazzmaynia11-1 from England
19 June 2004

This film i really enjoyed watching, however it was a bit too long for me to stay focused and concentrated i mean it is over four hours long.But the film is absolutely fantastic and quite scary in some places! it was well written and extremely well performed and acted although i didn't understand it the first time i saw it!

It's about a young girl with supernatural powers who is asked to go into the house to reawaken the house that died thousands of years before! but at what expense? a university teacher is obsessed with the house and will stop at nothing to get what she wants, even at the risk of hurting the young girl!

its a good film, i recommend it to horror/spooky lovers! 7/10