IMDb > "Rose Red" (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Rose Red"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratings

"Rose Red" More at IMDbPro »

Page 18 of 31: [Prev][13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [Next]

Awful. Just Plain Awful.

Author: jacklmauro from United States
29 October 2011

This gets one point from me only because there should be some honor in being the worst King film/series. Most are terrible, so that takes some doing. 'Rose Red', though, knocks it out of the park. The characters are cartoons, all of them. The setting is absurd; a vast estate in SEATTLE no one gets near? Then, rather than go for suspense, the story goes for outlandish effects as soon as the cast enters the place. I had a hard time keeping up with the idiocy, but...the ridiculous mother arrives on the scene so, in this house BLATANTLY filled with malice, the psychics think it's a good idea to tie her up and leave her in the kitchen? The girl with the amazing powers can also broadcast music out of flowers? The reader who, very aware of the evil, says, "I'm never alone; Jesus is with me," and heads off on her own in a madhouse? What actually points up the essence of this unintentional comedy is King's cameo as a pizza guy. Like the movies, it's embarrassingly horrible.

Too long and not very scary

Author: Catharina_Sweden from Sweden
1 May 2011

This movie was fairly entertaining for want of anything better to do on a Sunday afternoon, but as everything by Stephen King it had no depth - and it is not one of his best works either.

Firstly, it was much too long. You cannot stretch out a haunted house movie for over four hours, because the viewers get used to the scary things in it. For instance, the two old female inhabitants who have stayed on in the house as ghosts, look really creepy the first and second time you see them. But the third or fourth time, you have become "friends" with them..! And then there became too many dead people who turned into ghosts, to be shocking or even interesting anymore...

IF you want to write a whole miniseries about a haunted house, I think there must be some other strong storyline as well, apart from the haunting. For instance a treasure hunt or a love story.

Secondly, the movie is so obviously a plagiarism of "The Haunting" from 1963, and also the remake from 1999. The similarities simply are too many for them to be coincidences.

Thirdly, and worst, was the high piano music and/or "creepy sounds" almost throughout the whole movie. It was so loud, that it was very difficult to hear what the actors were saying - I had to try to read their lips! But I wonder if this mistake can really have been possible in the original - it seems incredible! Maybe someone has manipulated my copy of it (I downloaded it from the internet).

Fourthly, it did not have any really good scares. Not the kind that make you jump, when you suddenly see something horrible. Many times the music etc. seemed to build up to this kind of scare - but one was always disappointed by what one really saw. As so often with Stephen King, the scares were more unpleasant and gory than those "pure and high" scares in old Gothic ghost stories - that I think are the ideal in horror..!

I will remember two scenes from this movie though, because they were very funny. Firstly, the "nerd" who (in the beginning) was quite indifferent to the powers who tried to scare him off, and just told them "try doing that to someone who isn't broke". (Because he needed the money he would get for taking part too much to care about anything else.)

And secondly the very last pictures, when Joyce, the career-hungry, female researcher who had led them all into the mess and then died in the house herself in the end, was herself one of the ghosts in the haunted house - and obviously had resigned to her fate. Of some reason I thought this very funny - maybe because I have known some ruthless career women just like her..!

Were they ghosts or zombies????

Author: grenouilleux from United Kingdom
4 August 2010

This may sound silly but with my friend we just finished watching the long mini series and we don't understand how the women disappeared in the first place. Nothing is explained in the story, all we know is that they disappeared suddenly and mysteriously. What about the daughter April? How come she comes up as a zombie in the attic? How can there be a male heir when all the males in the family get killed every time?? The movie could have been great but it makes no sense. The end is very disappointing as we are left in limbos. what is the connection with Annie? How could the ghosts or zombies control her? How did the ghosts/zombies became that way? What happened to the daughter April? Was she murdered, kidnapped? I would appreciate if someone could answer all these puzzling questions. It's a shame there are so many inconsistencies.

Cut Price Shirley Jackson "homage"

Author: peter-smith425 from United Kingdom
23 July 2010

Most viewers with a penchant for haunted house stories will see the parallels between Rose Red and The Haunting of Hill House and there are many. It's no coincidence. King set out to rewrite the novel for the screen and during it's genesis it motives into Rose Red. Basically, King's screenplay replaces a lot of the subtlety ofJackson's story with a few by-numbers boo! Scares and guess what - oooh, a creepy kid that doesn't say much. I'm not saying I didn't have fun with Rose Red but it has none of the depth or ambiguity of Robert Wise's The Haunting. You can't replace dread and genuine unease with an unholy stack of cheap CGI. What I found really funny though was the fact that one reviewer here said they preferred the Jan de Bont film. Thats the best laugh I've had all week.

Awesome story and great cast!

Author: Sanpaco13 from Sandy, UT, United States
12 November 2009

This was like The Shining meets The Haunting. I really enjoyed this miniseries in which a group of psychics enter an old mansion said to have been haunted, in hopes of sparking some new psychic events and capturing it or science. Very soon however, people start to die and go crazy and the survivors become trapped inside the house. The house actually becomes the main protagonist in this tale in that it has the ability to shift and change its structure, and uses this to lure its victims right where it wants to. For about four hours of viewing time I was literally riveted into the story, wondering who would be killed next and who was going to eventually escape. I highly recommend this to anyone who enjoys a good haunted house movie. 10 out of 10.

Very good but not frightening

Author: sunznc from Los Angeles
11 August 2009

I really enjoyed this. It is very good, very well made and the acting is very good as well by everyone. The pace is good and it's engaging. However,......sometimes it takes a long time for the actors to play out their scenes, take you to the place in the house they want to be and then......something happens that you anticipate as being very scary only to see something very mild.

In other words, it isn't exactly a frightening film. It is more mysterious. If you are in the mood for a good haunted mansion film then this will do the trick. If you are looking for intense scares, you might be disappointed.

The special effects are good but not fantastic. This is story & character driven. Some scenes play out a little bit too long and end a little flat. I think the characters would have been much more shocked by the situations they find themselves in but they seem to brush things off pretty easy. Sometimes it has a 'made-for-tv' feel.

Loved it

Author: Lisa1968 from United Kingdom
7 January 2007

short but sweet (unlike the film) I loved this film and can honestly class it as one of my favourites, no sex, sleaze or teen scream stupidity. A lot have made comments that this film is awful and of course thats a matter of opinion but as it is about 4 hours long and my attention span is usually 30 mins (lol) i can say i have watched it about 6 times and never got bored of it, the house is awesome and the characters are interesting, with a psychometrist, telekinetic, post and pre-cognitive, automatic writer etc, entertaining and exciting, just wish stephen king had written a book on it. i got the diary of ellen rimbauer on DVD and book. they are good but not really consistent with the rose red story

Very interesting

Author: woodlandpugs from United States
6 August 2005

I watched this movie for two reason. 1) I like Stephen King. 2)A friend told me it has Kevin Tighe in it. I was very impressed with everything about the movie, it did remind me a lot of the Shining only more so. There were times I could tell they were using puppets rather than CG and that drew away from the fear factor for me. My one major problem with this movie was Mr. Tighe. He played Paramedic Roy DeSoto for seven seasons (six regular, two hour movies) and when he's having the "heart attack" he grabs his right shoulder!!!! I honestly about died laughing at that scene. I thought Nick was a very convincing character, I almost thought he was played by David Thewles because their mannerisms are so similar and that's what I tend to go off of. I was very sad when he was attacked. Overall I would say if you liked the Shining or even Salems Lot, rent and watch this one. It's very good.

Uncommonly Average

Author: beav33-1 from United States
23 July 2005

This film certainly has its moments. The sets are not at all bad, and it certainly has created a decent mood, but for the most part has few scares.

As far as the acting, why go with so many washed-up/never were type actors? I mean none of them are awful, but they are completely undistinguished in their careers. I must admit enjoying Julian Sands, but the memories of his fun/twisted roles are now ruined! (Warlock, Boxig Helena). Now that is a B grade actor to be proud of.

Instead you get a fairly predictable plot, with fairly predictable yeoman-like performances. The effects are not very impressive either. So if you are a huge King fan you are going to see it anyway (or actually already have).

***Also does anyone else get sick of the old, "this character is a goner for sure, only they pop up again later in the movie" trick?***

Not bad for a TV product...

Author: Henry Fields (kikecam@teleline.es) from Spain
5 July 2005

I guess this kind of mini-series are mean to be watched by chapters (obviously) and, if you do as I did, if you watch it all in one go it may result a little bit weary. Well, I just wanted to put that clear; now let's go with the comment itself:

"Rose Red" is kind of a lengthy version of "The Haunting", made with less money but much more scary and thrilling. A group of people get into a haunted mansion in order to reveal it secrets. There are some (big) narrative mistakes, and since it is a TV production is not as well cared as a film, but it's worth watching it, as most of Stephen King-based mini-series (Langoliers, It, etc.). The tension and the restlessness are ensured.

*My rate: 5/10