IMDb > "Rose Red" (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Rose Red"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratings

"Rose Red" More at IMDbPro »

Page 14 of 31: [Prev][9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [Next]

I had high hopes...

Author: cooper-29 from San Leandro, CA

But after Six hours I felt letdown. With 6 hours you can do a lot and

explain a lot but most of the time goes to reaction shots of the

people and Long shots of the house. I still dont know what happend at the end or should I say, am just

not sure. Something to do with the House and the Woman and her maid

killing the Husband because the maid was having an affair, yet

they were hanging out together at the end and killing everyone? What did that have to do with the young kid who grew up there and

came back (Matt Kesslar)? I was scratching my head by that point. Was the little girl channeling the house? Why did it stop when she

was unconcious. At the end it turned out she didnt have anything to

do with the goings on and what was with the Nancy Travis

character? Was she just mad or did the house possess her like in

the Shining? Had a few good scares but if you want to go see a good Haunted

House movie, go watch Poltergeist again or a movie that few

people have seen called Burnt Offerings.

Haunting. Riveting. Excellent terror.

Author: Michael O'Keefe from Muskogee OK
2 February 2002

Co-produced and written by Stephen King is enough to get the hair on your neck to stand up. This has all the elements the viewer craves; great special effects, a spooky story with a heaping helping of slow crawling, fast hitting terror. Nancy Travis plays a psychology professor that leads a hand picked team of psychics with varying abilities to seek out suggested paranormal activity in a haunted mansion, Rose Red. The mansion seems to have the ability to create rooms at will and plays its part in shocking mishaps that end in death.

Travis is very comfortable in taking the lead role. And stunning is Kimberly Brown, who plays a young autistic teen who holds the secret to the horrific occurrences in the haunted mansion. A talented supporting cast includes: Judith Ivey, Matt Keeslar, Melanie Lynskey, Robert Blanche and Kevin Tighe. Emery, the most irritating character is played by Matt Ross. Veteran actor David Dukes, who plays Professor Miller, collapsed and died of a suspected heart attack while making this mini-series. And yes, Stephen King makes his cameo as a pizza delivery man.

If you like spine tingling and knuckle cracking tension, strap yourself down and enjoy. Kudos to Gary Chang for the original mood music.

Same people who did Storm of the Century?

Author: William Miller (arriflex1@aol.com) from New York, New York
2 February 2002

Big disappointment from the same filmmakers as Storm of the Century. The same director, writer, producer, cinematographer, production designer, and composer as Storm of the Century could not make this story work. Blame King? Probably, but there is no excuse for Gary Chang's musical score to be almost identical to that of his work on Storm of the Century. I hope he was paid only 10% percent of his salary - to match the 10% of original music he wrote for this project. Shame, shame.

Typical King movie...

Author: Bomberman198 from Salinas, California
29 January 2002

oh my lord, the house is alive! Everyone, let's have a sleep over!!!! *Gasp*. A bunch of people that are of the psychic nature are payed $5,000 to stay in a house that's "alive". And of course, things turn for the worse. But hey it's ok, they're getting payed, right? Wrong. In fact they arn't even sure if they are gonna get payed. But they stay anyways just in case. Eventually they start getting "eatin" by the house one by one. But you'll have to watch it to see the secret of Rose Red. This film isn't really one of Kings finer presentations. But it hits the spot as an interesting movie. 6 hours is way to long to keep me in the seat though, good thing it was on 3 different nights. I don't know if they will sell it on VHS or DVD. But if they do, be sure to RENT it. Don't buy it, somthing you really will only want to watch once at most. I give it 1.5 out of 5 stars. You be the judge.

Great idea, mediocre execution

Author: weatherladykatie from United States
4 April 2010

As an avid Stephen King fan, I'm always excited about new work of his. Rose Red was no exception. However the more of his movies I see, the more I think he seriously needs to discuss making them with another production company. I love the idea of Rose Red, the cast was chosen well, and of course it was very well written. But the execution was mediocre at best. It was pretty clear that some of these special effects, in fact most of them, were made from a shoestring budget. Some things were just plain cheesy. In this day in age, the graphics should have been a bit more convincing. Nancy Travis did a fine job showing the deterioration from a slightly eccentric college professor to obsessed psychopath, but at times her acting was not the greatest. All in all if you're a King fan like me, you should check this out, but don't expect to find "Shawshank Redemption" or "The Green Mile" here. Good work, but he needs to fire his directors. I give it a 7.5, but round it up to an 8 because it was written by Mr. King.

What you get when you cross the Winchester Mystery House with The Haunting of Hill House

Author: dwr246 from United States
26 October 2009

I generally enjoy adaptations of Steven King stories, especially when he does the adapting, and this was no exception. It has some surprising weaknesses, but all in all it was a very enjoyable movie.

The story focuses on Professor Joyce Reardon (Nancy Travis), a professor of psychology, whose fascination with the paranormal, and obsession with the mansion called Rose Red, have earned her the scorn of her department head, Professor Carl Miller (David Dukes). In fact, Prof. Miller's only desire in life seems to be to discredit Joyce, and to that end he has hired reporter Kevin Bollinger (Jimmi Simpson) to spy on her, take damaging pictures, and write damaging articles. While Miller sees Joyce's obsession with Rose Red as a way to completely humiliate her, Joyce sees it as a way to prove her theories about the paranormal. And it just so happens that Joyce is now seeing Steve Rimbauer (Matt Keeslar), descendant of John (John Procaccino) and Ellen (Julia Campbell) Rimbauer, the original builders of the mansion. So, it's not much of a problem to get access to the house for a weekend to do some research. And Joyce has lined up some special guests to assist her: Pam Asbury (Emily Deschanel), a psychic who gets impressions from objects she touches; Vic Kandinsky (Kevin Tighe), a psychic who's precognitive; Emery Waterman (Matt Ross), a mamma's boy with undetermined psychic abilities; Nick Hardaway (Julian Sands), whose strong psychic talents aren't really given a name; Cathy Kramer (Judith Ivey), whose gift is automatic writing; and Annie Wheaton (Kimberly J. Brown), an autistic girl with powerful psychic gifts, who is accompanied by her sister, Rachel (Melanie Lynskey), better known as Sis. Asserting that Rose Red is a dead cell, Joyce hopes to "awaken" the house, which, indeed she does, with results that surprise them all.

King's storytelling is as good as ever in this particular piece. He creates a brooding and foreboding atmosphere, and for the most part, gives just enough information to let you figure out what has happened. That being said, some of his characterizations are surprisingly weak, Sis and Annie's parents (Mary Jo Dugaw and Robert Blanche) are almost more caricatures, than characters, especially the abusive father. And a little more information about what actually happens to Pam, Vic, and Nick would have been helpful, although I suspect that may be due to elements that didn't translate well from the narrative. It's a little slow at times, but overall, it's a good, suspenseful story.

The acting was also very good. I'm not a huge fan of Nancy Travis, but I have to give her credit for creating a sympathetic character in the scenes that are told from her point of view, and a much less sympathetic character in scenes that are told from the point of view of others. I always enjoyed David Dukes, and was sad to note that this was his last performance, and that he died while filming the movie. Judith Ivey did an excellent job in a non comic role. Matt Ross and Julian Sands did good jobs with their characters. Emily Deschanel and Kevin Tighe are sadly wasted in unfortunately small roles. The film really belongs to Matt Keeslar, Melanie Lynskey, and most notably Kimberly J. Brown, all of whom turned in wonderful performances.

It's a bit long, especially when shown all at once, which is how SyFy has been doing it, but I still think it is well worth investing the time to see a very scary, and very well done movie.

You Could See it Coming BUT it was good.

Author: missjillian1561 from United States
12 July 2008

I'm in love with scary movies, and anyone who does basically go by the following rules: 1. If it was originally made in Japan, then the original was most-likely good, but beware of the ones made in the states! Sometimes they can suck like you cant believe. 2. If it's written or directed by Stephen King, it should at least be GOOD.

I kept the second rule in mind and watched "Rose Red".

I liked the plot, and the acting was good. However, the make-up for the dead people was really not that great. I mean, it was cheesy-looking. I don't know, maybe I just had something different in mind.

They also didn't surprise you a lot in this film. It was pretty much written in stone by the later scenes what was going to happen. But that does happen sometimes in scary movies.

In any case, the movie was pretty good. The actors did a good job. Over all I would recommend it.

At least it's a nice house

Author: DiscoViolento from Japan
27 December 2007

A group of people with psychic powers go to wake up a so-called "dead cell", a haunted house, led by a somewhat obsessed teacher. Yes, the plot sounded promising and so did the fact that it was a Stephen King screenplay. Unfortunately, that didn't help this time.

The biggest problem is the characters. The only one that really clicked was Emery; a sloppy and selfish man who can see things that has happened in the past (usually not that pleasant). While he is not the most likable of people, he is nicely developed and acted. Other characters are either not well established before it kicks off or get too little screen time to actually make an impact. Thus, there is no "anchor" that keeps our interest, and in the end, I found myself thinking that I couldn't care less if they died or not.

The whole question "can a house become mad if the people living in it are?" reminded me a lot of "house of usher" by Edgar A. Poe. I must say that I liked that aspect of this story. It's intriguing and a good ground for a scare. However, it becomes less scary when being told in a Tales from the Crypt-version. While I appreciate that too, the two just don't go together, and unfortunately, the puppets ruin the atmosphere big time. Watching it, I almost felt like Craig R Baxley did it on purpose. He took away the ghost story and brought forward the ghosts. Not too scary ghosts.

But in the end, I don't think it would have made any difference.

240 minutes is a long time for character development, and not succeeding in that area is somewhat of a merit, I suppose. Not even a few good scares could have saved this movie when it lacks in this area so brutally.

The three stars is for the rooms of this house, which are quite nice. But unless you're into interior design, don't waste your time.

Chilling Horror Movie Created By The Literary Master Of Horror.

Author: Mr_Ectoplasma from Oregon
25 August 2007

"Rose Red" is a frightening haunted house horror film that centers on Professor Joyce Reardon (Nancy Travis), a college professor in the controversial field of parapsychology. Joyce's interest in the notoriously haunted Rose Red mansion prompts her to begin a psychic investigation in the most haunted house in the world - a house that has been responsible for many disappearances and deaths, and that seems to grow and shift without explanation. She gathers a large group of people with different forms of psychic power, among them a strange young girl (Kimberly J. Brown), who seems to cause the house to react. But upon their arrival to the sprawling mansion, strange things begin to happen almost instantly. And the many ghosts from Rose Red's dark past begin to haunt the group in a series of terrifying incidents.

Not too much to my surprise, I found "Rose Red" to be a sufficiently spooky and entertaining horror movie. Essentially another (but quite good) rendition of Shirley Jackson's story "The Haunting of Hill House", this story has some nice spins on it, because the screenplay itself was written by legendary horror novelist Stephen King. If you've seen Robert Wise's "The Haunting" (or even Jan de Bont's 1999 remake of that film), or the 1972 chiller "The Legend of Hell House", then you've basically seen this same premise done before. Fortunately here, there are enough new elements thrown in to revive this story and keep things consistently interesting (including some elements that seem to be drawn from the true story of Sarah Winchester and her California mansion). Stephen King is known for having fairly long novels (try reading "The Stand" sometime), and because of that, the film adaptations of his works are never quite up to par, usually, which is why they are often made into mini-series to extend their length, but even then there are still things left out quite often. But since King himself helmed the screenplay for this film, he made it a lengthy one.

Running at about four hours total, this is a long movie, and while you'd think it would be hard to finish it all in one sitting, it isn't really. My assumption was that there was no way I could sit through the entire four hours. After finishing the first half of the film, I thought about just calling it a night, but I was so curious to see what would happen next that I couldn't resist finishing it off, so I popped in disc two and watched the movie reach it's conclusion. King proves here that he also knows how to write a suspenseful movie. The film starts off at a fairly steady pace, but after the group arrives at the mansion, the tensity and scariness seems to get stronger and stronger. Plenty of frightening moments abound, and there are many scenes that have you chewing your nails waiting to see what will happen next. The atmosphere is just great, and the entire mansion setting is to die for. The house itself and it's history are as much a character as anyone else, and probably the most interesting character of all. We get to learn the house's history through flashbacks, which are interesting.

As for it's downfalls, I can't really think of any. If you can get past a few dodgy special effects (give it break, it's a television production), nearly everything else about this movie was great. The cast is lead by Nancy Travis who plays the professor leading the experiment and the one who knows all the dark and disturbing history of the house. She's believable and likable in the role. Matt Keeslar plays the young inherent of the house, and is also good. Kimberly J. Brown plays an autistic girl who possesses a strange power, and is, for the most part, good in her role. Other notables include Melanie Lynskey as Brown's older sister, and Emily Deschanel (of TV's "Bones") as a psychic woman who is part of the research group, but overall the acting is pretty good. The actors had nice chemistry and the characters were all interesting. The film's conclusion was excellent, and the twisting of the plot that led up to it is another shining example of Stephen King's writing ability.

Overall, "Rose Red" is an excellent haunted house film. It's atmospheric, the story (while a rendition of a familiar one) is kept consistently interesting, and it provides some good chills and some spooky moments. As far as haunted house movies go, this is the best modern one that I've seen in quite awhile. I'd definitely recommend to this to fans of Stephen King as well, because it's really interesting to see his abilities when it comes to screen writing. If you can handle a four hour flick, I'd definitely recommend it, it should spook you on quite a few occasions. 9/10.

It'll crawl under your skin...

Author: laztozia from United Kingdom
17 July 2007

It's funny, the first time I watched Rose Red I was underwhelmed. Maybe it was due to fatigue; I recall being rather tired during the first sitting. Recently however, I decided I'd give it another shot. Being a big Stephen King fan, it deserved a second viewing.

So there I was, sat in front of the television, watching Rose Red unfold before my eyes. This time, Rose Red really hit home. It crawled under my skin, and I was glued to my seat for over 4 hours.

Some movies just reach out and grab you. What can initially be viewed as lame and tawdry, can become important and disturbing. You then find yourself within the picture, sharing experiences with the characters as they are exposed to pleasure, pain and sheer horror.

Certain characters really shone in this mini-series. I found my hatred of Emery (Matt Ross) turn to pity, and then to likability as his character was slowly developed over the course of 4 hours. Matt Ross is a brilliant actor and easily stood out as THE best actor in Rose Red. His awkward mannerisms, coy boyishness, general rudeness and haphazard mentality allowed him to break free of the somewhat stagnant personality traits of other cast members, particularly Joyce (Nancy Travis), who I thought was the *least* likable character in the series.

Nick (Julian Sands) came across as being a little bland to start with; his straight-talking execution of lines was a little unconvincing. Soon enough though, I became enthralled with him, finding him to be the most thought-provoking of the bunch. I was devastated when he was eventually 'taken'. The same can be said of Pam (Emily Deschanel). Her character (and beauty) was sorely missed thereafter! The interplay between Joyce and Prof. Carl Miller (David Dukes) was excellent, even if it was a little hyperbolic at times. It's such a pity David Dukes had to die when he did.

And of course, it wouldn't be right if I didn't mention the key character in the film, Annie Wheaton (Kimberly J. Brown), whose character in both forms was entrancing.

As other users have mentioned already, the house itself is the lead character. Converting Thornewood Castle into Rose Red was no small task. The finished result is awe-inspiring. The aerial views are stunning. A lot of the house was 'added' in post-production, however, it's unnoticeable in the external shots. Some of the rooms like the 'Perspective hallway' and the 'Mirror library' are some of the most ingenious interiors to ever appear in film. To watch Rose Red is to walk the hallways of Rose Red. The sets really are incredible.

As the series approached it's fourth hour I was hoping for a sequel. In fact I enjoyed it so much that I watched it *again* a few days later. There are some brilliant moments in Rose Red, and I would probably be here for about 4 hours if I were to list them all.

My advice, go buy it. It's worth every penny. And remember, if you are underwhelmed after the first viewing, give it another chance, it'll crawl under your skin…